A terrible plague upon the Escapist... (Please set an avatar)

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Good evening Escapists, I come before you today to discuss an issue that has been bugging me recently and I doubt I'm the only one:

In the past when someone didn't set an avatar, the space under their name was left mercifully blank. Now however the generic avatars have been transported from the obscurity of people's profile pages to the forums themselves. There are several good reasons for having an avatar:

1) Gives other people something often more memorable than a username

2) Shows a little snapshot of your personality, or something you like

3) Takes literally a minute to set

Maybe I'm being close-minded but I can't think of any reasons why someone wouldn't set an avatar, especially now they have to put up with Mr or Mrs Generic Face under their name every time they post.

So, have many other people been annoyed by the prolifiation of the generic avatars across this forum, or is it a non-issue for many? Is there any good reasons not to have an avatar?

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
It's only slightly more annoying than when people all change their avatar to the same thing. Eh, JoJo?

But, yes, I agree, people should pick an avatar for themselves. I miss the blank space, actually. It looked better.

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
This post is pretty funny when you consider you've been participating in whatever the current mass avatar change is for.

But yes, too many faceless dudes in hats in these parts.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
I've seen more people with lacktheknack's avatar today than I have with the generic ones.

At least the generic ones are just that - generic.

Lacktheknack's one will haunt my nightmares.

JoJo

Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
I don't know what you guys are talking about, I've had this avatar for months ;-)

Quite seriously though, for anyone who wants the old-style non-avatars, they should just set the below image which has effectively the same effect:

this --->
<--- this

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
The fact that everyone has Lack's is far more annoying. I already hated his to begin with. Follow your advice and get your own shit

D Moness

Left the building
Sep 16, 2010
Kind of ironic posting a topic like that while pulling this kind of crap. Do not reply with any bs to me , I am not stupid.

Everyone can pick what they want for an avatar. Nobody should tell them what to do, specially you.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
I want to change my avatar now but something seems to reject my images I use. It won't show up the system. Can anyone tell me why?

This is what I wanted to use:

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
TopazFusion said:
Is you avatar supposed to flash white like that? Or is just my browser being stupid...

Anyway, these people could always change their avatars to this:
Grumpy cat should definitely be the default avatar :p

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
I guess I can't really say I hate the generic avatars, to be honest. The most I can complain about them is that they're just dull; then again, a blank white space is pretty dull as well. I like it when people pick an avatar, it at least adds a bit of variety to browsing the forums, especially when you're mostly a lurker like me.

Terminate421 said:
I want to change my avatar now but something seems to reject my images I use. It won't show up the system. Can anyone tell me why?

...but that is definitely the avatar you have right now. Grumpy Christmas Empoleon is your avatar.

JoJo

Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
D Moness said:
Kind of ironic posting a topic like that while pulling this kind of crap. Do not reply with any bs to me , I am not stupid.

Everyone can pick what they want for an avatar. Nobody should tell them what to do, specially you.
This thread is a request, not an order, hence the "please" in the title. I'm also genuinely interested to know why some people don't set avatars.

Terminate421 said:

Try Ctrl F5 to reset the page, since I can see that as your avatar, it might be your browser...

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
JoJo said:
D Moness said:

This thread is a request, not an order, hence the "please" in the title. I'm also genuinely interested to know why some people don't set avatars.

Terminate421 said:

Try Ctrl F5 to reset the page, since I can see that as your avatar, it might be your browser...
On my screen however, I get an image that says it failed to set it. I'm using chrome, would that cause the failure? (By the way, thanks for recognizing what it was, and answering my question)

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Terminate421 said:
On my screen however, I get an image that says it failed to set it. I'm using chrome, would that cause the failure? (By the way, thanks for recognizing what it was, and answering my question)
Clear your cache while an Escapist window isn't open, reset your browser, and you should be good to go.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Moonlight Butterfly said:
TopazFusion said:
Is you avatar supposed to flash white like that? Or is just my browser being stupid...

I third this.

OP: It took me a bit too long to get that the default was changed. At first I thought a lot of people had intentionally chosen it.

JoJo

Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Terminate421 said:
That's very odd, since I'm using Chrome and I can see it perfectly... I would recommend clearing your cache.

Edit: Ninja'd by Marter!

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
You mean people who haven't set an avatar are getting the default blank slate avatars now?

*checks an old forum game post [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/362.240854-The-Ban-game?page=1469#13753613]*

That friend never had an avatar. Ever... And now?

Ewww...

I thought the whole appeal of not picking an avatar was getting the shrunk space between posts. I vastly preferred that, made those posters stand out. I would like to see things return to the way they were. <.<

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
Moonlight Butterfly said:
TopazFusion said:

I'd love a Grumpy Cat default avatar! :D Great idea!

I agree with JoJo, I'd be lost without my avatar. I always find people without one... suspicious.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Marter said:
Terminate421 said:
Clear your cache while an Escapist window isn't open, reset your browser, and you should be good to go.
Got it, thanks!

JoJo said:
Terminate421 said:
That's very odd, since I'm using Chrome and I can see it perfectly... I would recommend clearing your cache.

Edit: Ninja'd by Marter!
I appreciate the help anyway!

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
TopazFusion said:

I think the grumpy cat avatar is a great aid in assuring the well-being of this community.

And I also agree on it being the default avatar.