A terrible plague upon the Escapist... (Please set an avatar)

Dec 14, 2009
As someone with an avatar that has been running for over eleventy bajillion miles, I agree that Grumpy Cat should be a default avatar :D

D Moness

Left the building
Sep 16, 2010
JoJo said:
D Moness said:
Kind of ironic posting a topic like that while pulling this kind of crap. Do not reply with any bs to me , I am not stupid.

Everyone can pick what they want for an avatar. Nobody should tell them what to do, specially you.
This thread is a request, not an order, hence the "please" in the title. I'm also genuinely interested to know why some people don't set avatars.
Saying please doesn't make this topic less demanding. You are still telling people to take an original avatar to show their individualism (still very very ironic coming from you now). Since in your opinion it is easy to set an avatar just because it only takes a minute or so. This is because YOU do not want to look at a generic avatar.

Like i said adding please to is doesn't make it less demanding. Try being individual yourself before complaining about other.

Some people just do not set an avatar. This is just something that happens on a forum. They do not see the point, do not want to or just lazy to set one.

ps. I agree with the grumpy cat idea though that is cute :)

Dr.Susse

Lv.1 NPC
Apr 17, 2009
At first I thought why not have a question mark instead of a head thing. But then I thought that might annoy anonymous.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
D Moness said:
JoJo said:
D Moness said:
Kind of ironic posting a topic like that while pulling this kind of crap. Do not reply with any bs to me , I am not stupid.

Everyone can pick what they want for an avatar. Nobody should tell them what to do, specially you.
This thread is a request, not an order, hence the "please" in the title. I'm also genuinely interested to know why some people don't set avatars.
Saying please doesn't make this topic less demanding. You are still telling people to take an original avatar to show their individualism (still very very ironic coming from you now). Since in your opinion it is easy to set an avatar just because it only takes a minute or so. This is because YOU do not want to look at a generic avatar.

Like i said adding please to is doesn't make it less demanding. Try being individual yourself before complaining about other.

Some people just do not set an avatar. This is just something that happens on a forum. They do not see the point, do not want to or just lazy to set one.

ps. I agree with the grumpy cat idea though that is cute :)
Please drop the ad hominems (bolded). Am I not allowed to have an opinion now? Yes, it's my opinion that everyone who's posted more than a few posts should set an avatar for the reasons I set out in the OP. If you or anyone-else disagrees with that, feel free to post the reasons you disagree, however criticising me for posting my opinion on a forum is pointless. Frankly if someone can't deal with someone-else disagreeing with their choices then they need to grow a thicker skin.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
TopazFusion said:
Is you avatar supposed to flash white like that? Or is just my browser being stupid...

Anyway, these people could always change their avatars to this:
Yet another message for you, eh :D Because I also fully agree with you. Grumpy cat fits perfectly, I believe.

Solaire of Astora said:
Yay!

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Why the heck are so many people using the same avatar, the boot camp scene from Full Metal Jacket but messed up?

Also, yeah, I think any new users must set an avatar before they make their first post, since seeing people without one rustles my jimmies thoroughly.

Smolderin

Feb 5, 2012
Aha.ahahahahaha...no...no I will not set an avatar pic. Why...cause I don't want to. Simple as that.

I'm a rebel man! DOWN WITH THE SYSTEM! Usurp the usurpers!

(Seriously..why is this even an issue....)

Lucem712

*Chirp*
Jul 14, 2011
Geez, some people are aggressive!

I preferred the blank space as I dislike the default avatar (Grumpy cat, FTW), and I've heard that the Escapist has a quite nice avatar bank (for lack of a better term) for users to pick from.

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
I just get tired of looking at the same old avatar all the time

I get that people get associated with a certain image/gif, but variety is the spice of life!

Thus explaining my morbid fascination with change >.>

bl4ckh4wk64

Walking Mass Effect Codex
Jun 11, 2010
Faulty Turmoil said:
I guess they should set the default as Justin Bieber. That'll get people changing their avatars.
That, good sir, is a genius idea. It could even be the Halloween Bieber or something for even more reason to change it.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Genocidicles said:
I've seen more people with lacktheknack's avatar today than I have with the generic ones.

At least the generic ones are just that - generic.

Lacktheknack's one will haunt my nightmares.
Shit. I haven't even been looking at the names of those people, but have just been assuming they were lack. I now wonder how many of those comments that I thought were his were actually someone else. Yeah...not a fan of that, guys.

I have noticed the rise of the Faceless Hatters, though. I know some people liked not having an avatar. Wonder if this annoys them?
The Faceless Hatter Uprising must be quelled. I've heard it said that if you stare too long at the vacant space where their eyes should be, you become one of them. *Shivers*

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
JoJo said:
Good evening Escapists, I come before you today to discuss an issue that has been bugging me recently and I doubt I'm the only one:

In the past when someone does set an avatar, the space under their name was left different. Now however the same avatars have been transported from the obscurity of people's profile pages to the forums themselves. There are several good reasons for having a different avatar:

1) Gives other people something often more memorable than a username

2) Shows a little snapshot of your personality, or something you like

3) Takes literally a minute to set

Maybe I'm being close-minded but I can't think of any reasons why someone would want the same avatar, especially now we have to put up with Bob or Bob(1) Face under their name every time they post.[/spoiler]

So, have many other people been annoyed by the proliferation of the copied avatars across this forum, or is it a non-issue for many? Is there any good reasons not to have a different avatar?
I've fixed the post so that it makes more relevance to this thread.

Sorry, this just genuinely bugs me more than these generic avatars.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
So, this is the plague upon the Escapist, huh? I thought it was certain parts of the user base that were the plague here, but hey, if it's generic avatars that are the problem, feel free to do something about it.

Also, kinda funny you make this topic in the middle of a small Pub Club stunt where some of you have the same avatar, title and badge layout of a user. :p

A Satanic Panda

Nov 5, 2009
I've had my Dolan one for awhile now. I think I should change it to:

Which is my avatar everywhere else.

Also dat EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHSJKDBFGAJKLWGBAJKSDBGI

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
PsychicTaco115 said:
I just get tired of looking at the same old avatar all the time

I get that people get associated with a certain image/gif, but variety is the spice of life!

Thus explaining my morbid fascination with change >.>
I bore you? D:

Awwww.

Still not changing. >.<

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
Well, I might as well jump on the bandwagon...

Although, I've yet to find a way to change the test above the Avatar...

EDIT: Apparently, It's a lot more difficult than I had imagined to jump on the bandwagon...

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
BeerTent said:
Well, I might as well jump on the bandwagon...

Although, I've yet to find a way to change the test above the Avatar...

EDIT: Apparently, It's a lot more difficult than I had imagined to jump on the bandwagon...
Huh, odd, not quite sure what you're talking about...