Academy Award/Oscar Nominations 2020

Nov 28, 2007
10,677
0
0
Welp, that time of year again. The time for the awards shows that Hollywood loves. I'll leave each category in spoilers, for the sake of space, then give my thoughts overall. The parentheses next to each entry is to help keep track of how many awards each film is nominated for.

Ford vs Ferrari (1)
The Irishman (1)
Jojo Rabbit (1)
Joker (1)
Little Women (1)
Marriage Story (1)
1917 (1)
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (1)
Parasite (1)

Martin Scorsese- The Irishman (2)
Todd Phillips- Joker (2)
Sam Mendes- 1917 (2)
Quentin Tarantino- Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2)
Bong Joon-ho- Parasite (2)

Antonio Banderas- Pain and Glory as Salvador Mallo (1)
Leonardo DiCaprio- Once Upon a Time in Hollywood as Rick Dalton (3)
Adam Driver- Marriage Story as Charlie Barber (2)
Joaquin Phoenix- Joker as Arthur Fleck/The Joker (3)
Jonathan Pryce- The Two Popes as Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio (1)

Cynthia Ervo- Harriet as Harriet Tubman (1)
Scarlett Johansson- Marriage Story as Nicole Barber (3)
Saoirse Ronan- Little Women as Josephine "Jo" March (2)
Charlize Theron- Bombshell as Megyn Kelly (1)
Renee Zellweger- Judy as Judy Garland (1)

Tom Hanks- Welcome to the Neighborhood as Mister Rogers (1)
Anthony Hopkins- The Two Popes as Pope Benedict XVI (2)
Al Pacino- The Irishman as Jimmy Hoffa (3)
Joe Pesci- The Irishman as Russell Bufalino (4)
Brad Pitt- Once Upon a Time in Hollywood as Cliff Booth (4)

Kathy Bates- Richard Jewell as Barbara "Bobi" Jewell (1)
Laura Dern- Marriage Story as Nora Fanshaw (4)
Scarlett Johansson- Jojo Rabbit as Rosie Betzler (2)
Florence Pugh- Little Women as Amy March (3)
Margot Robbie- Bombshell as Kayla Pospisil (2)

Knives Out (1)
Marriage Story (5)
1917 (3)
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (5)
Parasite (3)

The Irishman (5)
Jojo Rabbit (3)
Joker (4)
Little Women (4)
The Two Popes (3)

How to Train Your Dragon: The Lost World (1)
I Lost My Body (1)
Klaus (1)
Missing Link (1)
Toy Story 4 (1)

Corpus Christi (Polish) (1)
Honeyland (Turkish) (1)
Les Miserables (French) (1)
Pain and Glory (Spanish) (2)
Parasite (Korean) (4)

American Factory (1)
The Cave (1)
The Edge of Democracy (1)
For Sama (1)
Honeyland (2)

In the Absence (1)
Learning to Skateboard in a Warzone (If You're a Girl) (1)
Life Overtakes Me (1)
St. Louis Superman (1)
Walk Run Cha-Cha (1)

Brotherhood (1)
Nefta Football Club (1)
The Neighbors' Window (1)
Saria (1)
A Sister (1)

Dcera (Daughter) (1)
Hair Love (1)
Kitbull (1)
Memorable (1)
Sister (1)

Joker (5)
Little Women (5)
Marriage Story (6)
1917 (4)
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (1)

I Can't Let You Throw Yourself Away from Toy Story 4 (2)
(I'm Gonna) Love Me Again from Rocketman (1)
I'm Standing With You from Breakthrough (1)
Into the Unknown from Frozen II (1)
Stand Up from Harriet (2)


Ford vs Ferrari (2)
Joker (6)
1917 (5)
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (6)
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (2)


Ad Astra (1)
Ford vs Ferrari (3)
Joker (7)
1917 (6)
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (7)


The Irishman (6)
Jojo Rabbit (4)
1917 (7)
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (8)
Parasite (5)

The Irishman (7)
Joker (8)
The Lighthouse (1)
1917 (8)
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (9)

Bombshell (3)
Joker (9)
Judy (2)
Maleficent: Mistress of Evil (1)
1917 (9)

The Irishman (8)
Jojo Rabbit (5)
Joker (10)
Little Women (6)
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (10)

Ford vs Ferrari (4)
The Irishman (9)
Jojo Rabbit (6)
Joker (11)
Parasite (6)

Avengers: Endgame (1)
The Irishman (10)
The Lion King (1)
1917 (10)
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (3)

Well, after all that, I have just a few comments to make. First off, while I quite liked the movie personally, I'm shocked that Joker was the most nominated movie, with 11 potential awards. As for snubs, I was quite surprised that Taron Egerton was not nominated for Best Actor for his role in Rocketman. Hell, that movie went basically ignored, with 1 nomination for "Original Song".


On the positive side, it's nice to see Tarantino finally get recognition as a filmmaker from the Academy, and Joe Pesci chose the right movie to come out of retirement for.
 

Dreiko_v1legacy

New member
Aug 28, 2008
4,580
0
0
Very excited to see Joker get so many nominations. Good work getting properly rewarded is always a sight to behold.

It's not even a typical "oscar bait" type film either. It was just really good and surprisingly successful despite the efforts of vocal critics to brand it negative things. (I remember some ridiculous people trying to claim it'd cause mass shootings shortly before it premiered, I bet they're livid right now haha)

thebobmaster said:
McElroy said:
Too White, Too Male.
That too. The only non-white nomination was Cynthia Arvo as Harriet Tubman. Says it all, really.

Joker speaks to the plight of the downtrodden across races, it's no accident that people in Chile (who are not white) were inspired by this movie and went on protests in Joker facepaint while they fought for their civil rights and quality of life.


It's so unbelievably irrelevant to those people whether he himself is Hispanic or not, he still shows you how much people are suffering. The only one who'd actually mind that he's white and not bother focusing on what he's actually going through (and have what he's going through make his race insignificant in their eyes) is someone who can't empathize with the feelings of someone who is actually downtrodden like the people in Chile.
 

Gordon_4_v1legacy

New member
Aug 22, 2010
2,531
0
0
thebobmaster said:
Welp, that time of year again. The time for the awards shows that Hollywood loves. I'll leave each category in spoilers, for the sake of space, then give my thoughts overall. The parentheses next to each entry is to help keep track of how many awards each film is nominated for.

Ford vs Ferrari (1)
The Irishman (1)
Jojo Rabbit (1)
Joker (1)
Little Women (1)
Marriage Story (1)
1917 (1)
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (1)
Parasite (1)

Martin Scorsese- The Irishman (2)
Todd Phillips- Joker (2)
Sam Mendes- 1917 (2)
Quentin Tarantino- Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2)
Bong Joon-ho- Parasite (2)

Antonio Banderas- Pain and Glory as Salvador Mallo (1)
Leonardo DiCaprio- Once Upon a Time in Hollywood as Rick Dalton (3)
Adam Driver- Marriage Story as Charlie Barber (2)
Joaquin Phoenix- Joker as Arthur Fleck/The Joker (3)
Jonathan Pryce- The Two Popes as Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio (1)

Cynthia Ervo- Harriet as Harriet Tubman (1)
Scarlett Johansson- Marriage Story as Nicole Barber (3)
Saoirse Ronan- Little Women as Josephine "Jo" March (2)
Charlize Theron- Bombshell as Megyn Kelly (1)
Renee Zellweger- Judy as Judy Garland (1)

Tom Hanks- Welcome to the Neighborhood as Mister Rogers (1)
Anthony Hopkins- The Two Popes as Pope Benedict XVI (2)
Al Pacino- The Irishman as Jimmy Hoffa (3)
Joe Pesci- The Irishman as Russell Bufalino (4)
Brad Pitt- Once Upon a Time in Hollywood as Cliff Booth (4)

Kathy Bates- Richard Jewell as Barbara "Bobi" Jewell (1)
Laura Dern- Marriage Story as Nora Fanshaw (4)
Scarlett Johansson- Jojo Rabbit as Rosie Betzler (2)
Florence Pugh- Little Women as Amy March (3)
Margot Robbie- Bombshell as Kayla Pospisil (2)

Knives Out (1)
Marriage Story (5)
1917 (3)
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (5)
Parasite (3)

The Irishman (5)
Jojo Rabbit (3)
Joker (4)
Little Women (4)
The Two Popes (3)

How to Train Your Dragon: The Lost World (1)
I Lost My Body (1)
Klaus (1)
Missing Link (1)
Toy Story 4 (1)

Corpus Christi (Polish) (1)
Honeyland (Turkish) (1)
Les Miserables (French) (1)
Pain and Glory (Spanish) (2)
Parasite (Korean) (4)

American Factory (1)
The Cave (1)
The Edge of Democracy (1)
For Sama (1)
Honeyland (2)

In the Absence (1)
Learning to Skateboard in a Warzone (If You're a Girl) (1)
Life Overtakes Me (1)
St. Louis Superman (1)
Walk Run Cha-Cha (1)

Brotherhood (1)
Nefta Football Club (1)
The Neighbors' Window (1)
Saria (1)
A Sister (1)

Dcera (Daughter) (1)
Hair Love (1)
Kitbull (1)
Memorable (1)
Sister (1)

Joker (5)
Little Women (5)
Marriage Story (6)
1917 (4)
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (1)

I Can't Let You Throw Yourself Away from Toy Story 4 (2)
(I'm Gonna) Love Me Again from Rocketman (1)
I'm Standing With You from Breakthrough (1)
Into the Unknown from Frozen II (1)
Stand Up from Harriet (2)


Ford vs Ferrari (2)
Joker (6)
1917 (5)
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (6)
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (2)


Ad Astra (1)
Ford vs Ferrari (3)
Joker (7)
1917 (6)
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (7)


The Irishman (6)
Jojo Rabbit (4)
1917 (7)
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (8)
Parasite (5)

The Irishman (7)
Joker (8)
The Lighthouse (1)
1917 (8)
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (9)

Bombshell (3)
Joker (9)
Judy (2)
Maleficent: Mistress of Evil (1)
1917 (9)

The Irishman (8)
Jojo Rabbit (5)
Joker (10)
Little Women (6)
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (10)

Ford vs Ferrari (4)
The Irishman (9)
Jojo Rabbit (6)
Joker (11)
Parasite (6)

Avengers: Endgame (1)
The Irishman (10)
The Lion King (1)
1917 (10)
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (3)

Well, after all that, I have just a few comments to make. First off, while I quite liked the movie personally, I'm shocked that Joker was the most nominated movie, with 11 potential awards. As for snubs, I was quite surprised that Taron Egerton was not nominated for Best Actor for his role in Rocketman. Hell, that movie went basically ignored, with 1 nomination for "Original Song".


On the positive side, it's nice to see Tarantino finally get recognition as a filmmaker from the Academy, and Joe Pesci chose the right movie to come out of retirement for.


I'm not fully aware of the rules about submission for Academy consideration, but I think if Disney were gonna submit a song from Frozen II for it, it should have been "Show Yourself".

Dreiko said:
Very excited to see Joker get so many nominations. Good work getting properly rewarded is always a sight to behold.

It's not even a typical "oscar bait" type film either. It was just really good and surprisingly successful despite the efforts of vocal critics to brand it negative things. (I remember some ridiculous people trying to claim it'd cause mass shootings shortly before it premiered, I bet they're livid right now haha)

thebobmaster said:
McElroy said:
Too White, Too Male.
That too. The only non-white nomination was Cynthia Arvo as Harriet Tubman. Says it all, really.

Joker speaks to the plight of the downtrodden across races, it's no accident that people in Chile (who are not white) were inspired by this movie and went on protests in Joker facepaint while they fought for their civil rights and quality of life.


It's so unbelievably irrelevant to those people whether he himself is Hispanic or not, he still shows you how much people are suffering. The only one who'd actually mind that he's white and not bother focusing on what he's actually going through (and have what he's going through make his race insignificant in their eyes) is someone who can't empathize with the feelings of someone who is actually downtrodden like the people in Chile.
In so much that that is a very positive outcome, as icons to attach yourself to that seems like Joker is another in a long list of protagonists about whom the point was vastly missed. See also V, Tyler Durden, Walter White and the entire cast of Sons of Anarchy.
 

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
4,640
0
0
thebobmaster said:
McElroy said:
Too White, Too Male.
That too. The only non-white nomination was Cynthia Arvo as Harriet Tubman. Says it all, really.
Did you both somehow miss Bong Joon-ho (Parasite) for Best Director/Best Picture, or does it not count?

Also I enjoyed Parasite more than any of the other nominees I've seen, so it would be my pick for Best Picture. It's not going to win tho, on account of not being the kind of movie the academy (aka old rich white men) can identify with.
 

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
1,524
174
68
It wasn't a great year for movies so the Best Picture nominations are what you'd expect. Joker, in my opinion, deserves the nomination about as much or as little as Black Panther did. I wasn't crazy for it, outside of Phoenix's genuinely amazing lead performance, but it didn't speak to me emotionally the way it seemed to a lot of other people. It had a lot of Pathos but the writing didn't really keep up with it. The dialogue went out of its way to spell out things the visuals communicated just fine. Again, to me it feels like Black Panther being nominated, an attempt to throw a bone to the general audience by nominating a comic book movie.

Anyway, my favourite is Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. It's very much a "Hollywood celebrating itself" movie which the Academy generally seems to like so I think it has a decent chance.
 

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
3,955
102
68
Finland
Chimpzy said:
thebobmaster said:
McElroy said:
Too White, Too Male.
That too. The only non-white nomination was Cynthia Arvo as Harriet Tubman. Says it all, really.
Did you both somehow miss Bong Joon-ho (Parasite) for Best Director/Best Picture, or does it not count?

Also I enjoyed Parasite more than any of the other nominees I've seen, so it would be my pick for Best Picture. It's not going to win tho, on account of not being the kind of movie the academy (aka old rich white men) can identify with.
I meant as a whole. I also wanted that the first comment is just a few words of dry sarcasm. Success.

Also it's Mister Bong, not miss...
 
Nov 28, 2007
10,677
0
0
Chimpzy said:
thebobmaster said:
McElroy said:
Too White, Too Male.
That too. The only non-white nomination was Cynthia Arvo as Harriet Tubman. Says it all, really.
Did you both somehow miss Bong Joon-ho (Parasite) for Best Director/Best Picture, or does it not count?

Also I enjoyed Parasite more than any of the other nominees I've seen, so it would be my pick for Best Picture. It's not going to win tho, on account of not being the kind of movie the academy (aka old rich white men) can identify with.
...I feel bad that I did indeed overlook Bong Joon-ho. It still doesn't detract from the overall point of how skewed the demographics are, but when I say someone was the ONLY non-white nomination, and I overlook the other non-white nomination, it kind of makes me look like an idiot.
 

RaikuFA

New member
Jun 12, 2009
4,366
0
0
I?ve seen people upset that Joker got any nominations and I?m laughing. I guarantee the controversy with people hoping there?d be a shooting and expecting it to be a call to arms for the dreaded white male incels to kill everyone who isn?t a white male gave the people at the Academy an excuse to shower it with noms cause outrage articles keep them relevant.

However, this is the best Animated category I?ve seen in awhile. Missing Link already won with the GG, Klaus got nominated and that?s a great new holiday classic.
 

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
4,640
0
0
Samtemdo8 said:
Chimpzy said:
Samtemdo8 said:
McElroy said:
Too White, Too Male.
Italian Americans ain't WASP.
Still white tho. Or is someone who isn't Anglo-Saxon descended and protestant not white enough?
By that standard I think yes.
Well, that certainly is super dumb. Who the fuck thought of that delineation of what constitutes "real" whiteness?

Was it white supremacists? Cuz it sounds like something those morons would conjure up to create even more of an "us vs them" mindset for themselves.
 

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
5,601
2,857
118
Chimpzy said:
Well, that certainly is super dumb. Who the fuck thought of that delineation of what constitutes "real" whiteness?

Was it white supremacists? Cuz it sounds like something those morons would conjure up to create even more of an "us vs them" mindset for themselves.
White supremacists are particularly notable for their exacting definitions of whiteness. Usually it starts at North European (i.e. Scandinavia / Germany / British Isles), because Southern Europeans have darker skin which surely puts them one step closer to the untermensch, and the Slavs have pale skin but migrated into Europe from an Asia-type direction back in the day so they go down a rung too [footnote]Of course we all came out of Africa originally, but that gets conveniently overlooked[/footnote].
 

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
4,640
0
0
Agema said:
White supremacists are particularly notable for their exacting definitions of whiteness. Usually it starts at North European (i.e. Scandinavia / Germany / British Isles), because Southern Europeans have darker skin which surely puts them one step closer to the untermensch, and the Slavs have pale skin but migrated into Europe from an Asia-type direction back in the day so they go down a rung too.
Yes, I know. Like I said, stupid.
 

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
6,633
0
0
You could tell that Joker was an Oscar bait from the very first trailer. I didn't love the movie, but I didn't hate it either. It's not bad, but it's not anything spectacular that most people make it out to be. I kinda agree with MovieBob's assessment, actually. I didn't buy the plot. If they'd set the time period forward to early 2000's, it would have made a lot more sense. And the Joker should have been younger. Otherwise, he's going to be fighting Batman in his 60's or something, which is one of my main gripes, believe it or not.

Other than that, that's a nice list. People are going on and on about the fact that it's mostly white men again, but have you considered the fact that the nominated movies really are the best movies of the year? Because they pretty much are.
 

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
May 4, 2020
2,856
644
118
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Gender
Cuttlefish
Adam Jensen said:
You could tell that Joker was an Oscar bait from the very first trailer. I didn't love the movie, but I didn't hate it either. It's not bad, but it's not anything spectacular that most people make it out to be. I kinda agree with MovieBob's assessment, actually. I didn't buy the plot. If they'd set the time period forward to early 2000's, it would have made a lot more sense. And the Joker should have been younger. Otherwise, he's going to be fighting Batman in his 60's or something, which is one of my main gripes, believe it or not.

Other than that, that's a nice list. People are going on and on about the fact that it's mostly white men again, but have you considered the fact that the nominated movies really are the best movies of the year? Because they pretty much are.
Amazing that you could get anything out of the incoherent mess that's Bob's take on Joker.

Also, yeah, a lot of racist people here that seem to think that by being white you're less worthy of awards.
 

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
3,955
102
68
Finland
Specter Von Baren said:
Also, yeah, a lot of racist people here that seem to think that by being white you're less worthy of awards.
Well, duh. White people giving awards to white people. Seen it already.

Just watch them overcompensate next year.
 

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
16,782
832
118
Adam Jensen said:
You could tell that Joker was an Oscar bait from the very first trailer. I didn't love the movie, but I didn't hate it either. It's not bad, but it's not anything spectacular that most people make it out to be. I kinda agree with MovieBob's assessment, actually. I didn't buy the plot. If they'd set the time period forward to early 2000's, it would have made a lot more sense. And the Joker should have been younger. Otherwise, he's going to be fighting Batman in his 60's or something, which is one of my main gripes, believe it or not.
Don't know if I'd call it Oscar bait, but it was certainly desperate in trying to appear profound and meaningful. It's up there with Sucker Punch, where the director is seriously punching above their weight. That dramatic bathroom dance scene was bordering on parody.
 

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
2,715
892
118
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Gender
Male
PsychedelicDiamond said:
Anyway, my favourite is Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. It's very much a "Hollywood celebrating itself" movie which the Academy generally seems to like so I think it has a decent chance.
Last night, I watched Once Upon A Time In Hollywood and posted thoughts on it today in the ?Last Movie You Watched? thread. Do me a favor and read my post and tell me what I missed; I thought this film was awful. It had all the makings of and potential for a great film, but it failed across the board in my humble opinion, and while I couldn?t care less about Oscars, I?m am absolutely astounded it?s been nominated for as many as it has been. Best Actor/Supporting Actor, fine; DiCaprio and Pitt did a great job, but what they were asked to do and the context in which they were asked to do it was a bland, boring mess. Best Picture?? Get the hell out of here?
 

Dreiko_v1legacy

New member
Aug 28, 2008
4,580
0
0
McElroy said:
Specter Von Baren said:
Also, yeah, a lot of racist people here that seem to think that by being white you're less worthy of awards.
Well, duh. White people giving awards to white people. Seen it already.

Just watch them overcompensate next year.
Imagine not focusing on the race and just seeing good movies getting awards cause they're just good movies and nothing more.

This is a very American perspective, too, since this is all still Hollywood films for the most part (outside of like, the foreign categories and that one random Korean film). Growing up in Europe I always saw the nation first, so whether you had black or white Hollywood actors, it was all the same cause it's all still American actors in American movies.


Should I just not care by this point cause it's just "Americans giving award to Americans"? Does that make sense to you? Cause this is basically what you're doing here lol.
 

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
16,613
727
118
Country
Argentina
Question.

Has anybody ever proposed with any seriousness the creation of a Best Black Actor/Actress category, if their absence is so aggravating? As it is they're already segregating the acting awards by gender. Why not race as well, if this is about a quota?

On another note, isn't it entirely possible that, clocking a little over 12% of the US population, every now and then we get a year where there aren't *that* many performances by black actors worth nominating in an industry that is predominantly owned and populated by white people?

And by the way as a Latino I don't give a shit that Banderas is nominated. Or that Roma won (last year?). I'm just here for the movies man. I don't care where they come from or what skin color are the nominees. Banderas was good in the Almodovar movie. Roma was pretentious tripe.
 

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
6,661
575
118
Country
Australia
Gender
Male
Johnny Novgorod said:
Question.

Has anybody ever proposed with any seriousness the creation of a Best Black Actor/Actress category, if their absence is so aggravating? As it is they're already segregating the acting awards by gender. Why not race as well, if this is about a quota?
I haven't seen it, but I could certainly see that being a thing.
 

Dreiko_v1legacy

New member
Aug 28, 2008
4,580
0
0
Johnny Novgorod said:
Question.

Has anybody ever proposed with any seriousness the creation of a Best Black Actor/Actress category, if their absence is so aggravating? As it is they're already segregating the acting awards by gender. Why not race as well, if this is about a quota?

On another note, isn't it entirely possible that, clocking a little over 12% of the US population, every now and then we get a year where there aren't *that* many performances by black actors worth nominating in an industry that is predominantly owned and populated by white people?

And by the way as a Latino I don't give a shit that Banderas is nominated. Or that Roma won (last year?). I'm just here for the movies man. I don't care where they come from or what skin color are the nominees. Banderas was good in the Almodovar movie. Roma was pretentious tripe.

It doesn't make sense to do that because while genders are actually different from eachother, races are equal so it'd be like saying black men are not the same as white men which is anti-equality if you had a specific black category.


And yeah if it's a movie I don't like I don't care if it wins something, even if it has a man or a greek dude in it, and there's way fewer winners of that group than there are black ones (never mind american ones) yet I somehow I don't mind it one bit lol.
 

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
16,613
727
118
Country
Argentina
Dreiko said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Question.

Has anybody ever proposed with any seriousness the creation of a Best Black Actor/Actress category, if their absence is so aggravating? As it is they're already segregating the acting awards by gender. Why not race as well, if this is about a quota?

On another note, isn't it entirely possible that, clocking a little over 12% of the US population, every now and then we get a year where there aren't *that* many performances by black actors worth nominating in an industry that is predominantly owned and populated by white people?

And by the way as a Latino I don't give a shit that Banderas is nominated. Or that Roma won (last year?). I'm just here for the movies man. I don't care where they come from or what skin color are the nominees. Banderas was good in the Almodovar movie. Roma was pretentious tripe.

It doesn't make sense to do that because while genders are actually different from eachother, races are equal so it'd be like saying black men are not the same as white men which is anti-equality if you had a specific black category.


And yeah if it's a movie I don't like I don't care if it wins something, even if it has a man or a greek dude in it, and there's way fewer winners of that group than there are black ones (never mind american ones) yet I somehow I don't mind it one bit lol.
This really is just an American qualm, but then the ceremony is also American, meant to reward American movies (foreign category nods aside). I'm pretty sure nobody else around the globe cares about the racial bouquet of the nominees.

I wish they'd just accept the odds that they're probably not going to have a perfectly multiracial ballot in EVERY category EVERY year in a country that is three-quarters WASP, and reward people for their technical and artistic proficiency without giving two shits about their skin color.
 

Dreiko_v1legacy

New member
Aug 28, 2008
4,580
0
0
Johnny Novgorod said:
Dreiko said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Question.

Has anybody ever proposed with any seriousness the creation of a Best Black Actor/Actress category, if their absence is so aggravating? As it is they're already segregating the acting awards by gender. Why not race as well, if this is about a quota?

On another note, isn't it entirely possible that, clocking a little over 12% of the US population, every now and then we get a year where there aren't *that* many performances by black actors worth nominating in an industry that is predominantly owned and populated by white people?

And by the way as a Latino I don't give a shit that Banderas is nominated. Or that Roma won (last year?). I'm just here for the movies man. I don't care where they come from or what skin color are the nominees. Banderas was good in the Almodovar movie. Roma was pretentious tripe.

It doesn't make sense to do that because while genders are actually different from eachother, races are equal so it'd be like saying black men are not the same as white men which is anti-equality if you had a specific black category.


And yeah if it's a movie I don't like I don't care if it wins something, even if it has a man or a greek dude in it, and there's way fewer winners of that group than there are black ones (never mind american ones) yet I somehow I don't mind it one bit lol.
This really is just an American qualm, but then the ceremony is also American, meant to reward American movies (foreign category nods aside). I'm pretty sure nobody else around the globe cares about the racial bouquet of the nominees.

I wish they'd just accept the odds that they're probably not going to have a perfectly multiracial ballot in EVERY category EVERY year in a country that is three-quarters WASP, and reward people for their technical and artistic proficiency without giving two shits about their skin color.
Yeah but you have easily enough dual citizens or foreign national residents in America that you could theoretically apply to them the same consideration you'd give other groups. There's definitely more of em than there are trans people for one.

It's just this huge blind-spot with the intersectional approach where it arbitrarily deems equally insignificant arbitrary personal characteristics people can have as being of differing significance for the benefit of the speaker and due to no actual merit therein. I say just ignore all that noise in its totality.
 

Wintermute_v1legacy

New member
Mar 16, 2012
1,819
0
0
I'm happy Scarlett Johansson is nominated in both acting categories. I wouldn't call myself a fan of her but I feel like people have been shitting on her for ages when I always thought she was a pretty decent actress.

Also, I hope Joker gets all 654 oscars. I haven't seen it, but it's a guilty pleasure of mine to watch disproportionate reactions online.

Johnny Novgorod said:
Question.

Has anybody ever proposed with any seriousness the creation of a Best Black Actor/Actress category, if their absence is so aggravating? As it is they're already segregating the acting awards by gender. Why not race as well, if this is about a quota?

On another note, isn't it entirely possible that, clocking a little over 12% of the US population, every now and then we get a year where there aren't *that* many performances by black actors worth nominating in an industry that is predominantly owned and populated by white people?

And by the way as a Latino I don't give a shit that Banderas is nominated. Or that Roma won (last year?). I'm just here for the movies man. I don't care where they come from or what skin color are the nominees. Banderas was good in the Almodovar movie. Roma was pretentious tripe.
They should just expand the number of nominees from 5 to 10. I'm pretty sure the "best movie" category used to be limited to 5 movies in the past.
 

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
3,955
102
68
Finland
Dreiko said:
McElroy said:
Specter Von Baren said:
Also, yeah, a lot of racist people here that seem to think that by being white you're less worthy of awards.
Well, duh. White people giving awards to white people. Seen it already.

Just watch them overcompensate next year.
Imagine not focusing on the race and just seeing good movies getting awards cause they're just good movies and nothing more.

This is a very American perspective, too, since this is all still Hollywood films for the most part (outside of like, the foreign categories and that one random Korean film). Growing up in Europe I always saw the nation first, so whether you had black or white Hollywood actors, it was all the same cause it's all still American actors in American movies.


Should I just not care by this point cause it's just "Americans giving award to Americans"? Does that make sense to you? Cause this is basically what you're doing here lol.
The political fucking about is the most entertaining part of the Oscars. Of almost any award show when you think about it.
Johnny Novgorod said:
On another note, isn't it entirely possible that, clocking a little over 12% of the US population, every now and then we get a year where there aren't *that* many performances by black actors worth nominating in an industry that is predominantly owned and populated by white people?
The answer is racism. You see, the movies must have diverse casts and production teams so when the diverse audience watches them they feel they are included.

Wintermute said:
Also, I hope Joker gets all 654 oscars. I haven't seen it, but it's a guilty pleasure of mine to watch disproportionate reactions online.
Exactly. The more you shake up those old sponges the better. The louder the groaning of the media the better. Controversy for the win.
 

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
6,694
0
0
No surprise about Joker. Not that its good in the least, just that the usual suspects would cry 'HOLLYWOOD CUCKS SOY LIBERAL BETAS HATE REAL MEN STORIES ABOUT REAL MEN' all over the place if Joker didn't get the most nominations.
And guaranteed if it doesn't win ALL its nominations, 'HOLLYWOOD CUCKS SOY LIBERAL BETAS HATE REAL MEN STORIES ABOUT REAL MEN'
 

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
16,613
727
118
Country
Argentina
Wintermute said:
I'm happy Scarlett Johansson is nominated in both acting categories. I wouldn't call myself a fan of her but I feel like people have been shitting on her for ages when I always thought she was a pretty decent actress.

Also, I hope Joker gets all 654 oscars. I haven't seen it, but it's a guilty pleasure of mine to watch disproportionate reactions online.

Johnny Novgorod said:
Question.

Has anybody ever proposed with any seriousness the creation of a Best Black Actor/Actress category, if their absence is so aggravating? As it is they're already segregating the acting awards by gender. Why not race as well, if this is about a quota?

On another note, isn't it entirely possible that, clocking a little over 12% of the US population, every now and then we get a year where there aren't *that* many performances by black actors worth nominating in an industry that is predominantly owned and populated by white people?

And by the way as a Latino I don't give a shit that Banderas is nominated. Or that Roma won (last year?). I'm just here for the movies man. I don't care where they come from or what skin color are the nominees. Banderas was good in the Almodovar movie. Roma was pretentious tripe.
They should just expand the number of nominees from 5 to 10. I'm pretty sure the "best movie" category used to be limited to 5 movies in the past.
Not a bad idea.
 

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
1,652
344
88
Johnny Novgorod said:
Question.

Has anybody ever proposed with any seriousness the creation of a Best Black Actor/Actress category, if their absence is so aggravating? As it is they're already segregating the acting awards by gender. Why not race as well, if this is about a quota?

On another note, isn't it entirely possible that, clocking a little over 12% of the US population, every now and then we get a year where there aren't *that* many performances by black actors worth nominating in an industry that is predominantly owned and populated by white people?
The Academy Awards is the ceremony where the US film industry celebrates itself so it's good for it's own image if it actually promotes the work of minority actors. (As for the demographics, the US is about 75% white, so your chances of picking ten white Americans at random from the whole population are 0.75?⁰, which is about 5.6%, so a highly unlikely but not negligibly unlikely outcome)

And by the way as a Latino I don't give a shit that Banderas is nominated. Or that Roma won (last year?). I'm just here for the movies man. I don't care where they come from or what skin color are the nominees. Banderas was good in the Almodovar movie. Roma was pretentious tripe.
Banderas is from Andalusia so he doesn't really count as a Latino.
 

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
16,613
727
118
Country
Argentina
09philj said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Question.

Has anybody ever proposed with any seriousness the creation of a Best Black Actor/Actress category, if their absence is so aggravating? As it is they're already segregating the acting awards by gender. Why not race as well, if this is about a quota?

On another note, isn't it entirely possible that, clocking a little over 12% of the US population, every now and then we get a year where there aren't *that* many performances by black actors worth nominating in an industry that is predominantly owned and populated by white people?
The Academy Awards is the ceremony where the US film industry celebrates itself so it's good for it's own image if it actually promotes the work of minority actors. (As for the demographics, the US is about 75% white, so your chances of picking ten white Americans at random from the whole population are 0.75?⁰, which is about 5.6%, so a highly unlikely but not negligibly unlikely outcome)

And by the way as a Latino I don't give a shit that Banderas is nominated. Or that Roma won (last year?). I'm just here for the movies man. I don't care where they come from or what skin color are the nominees. Banderas was good in the Almodovar movie. Roma was pretentious tripe.
Banderas is from Andalusia so he doesn't really count as a Latino.
"Hispanic" is the word I was going for.
 

Gordon_4_v1legacy

New member
Aug 22, 2010
2,531
0
0
Silentpony said:
No surprise about Joker. Not that its good in the least, just that the usual suspects would cry 'HOLLYWOOD CUCKS SOY LIBERAL BETAS HATE REAL MEN STORIES ABOUT REAL MEN' all over the place if Joker didn't get the most nominations.
And guaranteed if it doesn't win ALL its nominations, 'HOLLYWOOD CUCKS SOY LIBERAL BETAS HATE REAL MEN STORIES ABOUT REAL MEN'
An argument you could probably silence in about three seconds by pointing to both 1917 and Ford vs. Ferrari. I mean, I get that there are things in life that blow chunks and I don't mind a movie being made about it, even a bad one. But having the fucking Joker as your mouthpiece of societal ills just seems....self-defeating.
 

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
6,633
0
0
Gordon_4 said:
An argument you could probably silence in about three seconds by pointing to both 1917 and Ford vs. Ferrari. I mean, I get that there are things in life that blow chunks and I don't mind a movie being made about it, even a bad one. But having the fucking Joker as your mouthpiece of societal ills just seems....self-defeating.
Joker is the type of movie that appeals to the lowest common denominator. It's for uneducated masses who can't tell the difference between a true work of art and a pretentious mess that's trying to imitate the original work that inspired it. It's why I'm glad that Joker exists. You get to see all who all of those people are.
 

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
5,601
2,857
118
Silentpony said:
No surprise about Joker. Not that its good in the least, just that the usual suspects would cry ...
Things like Joker are liked for nominations because the Oscars are really about Hollywood slapping it's own back (that's why most of the rest of the world's film output is generally shunted into the "Best Foreign Picture" category). As Hollywood business is basically about blockbusters but lots of Academy members feel a little bit awkward that modern blockbusters are usually as dumb as a box of rocks, when one turns up that they feel isn't they'll throw it a lot of attention.
 

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
1,524
174
68
Xprimentyl said:
PsychedelicDiamond said:
Anyway, my favourite is Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. It's very much a "Hollywood celebrating itself" movie which the Academy generally seems to like so I think it has a decent chance.
Last night, I watched Once Upon A Time In Hollywood and posted thoughts on it today in the ?Last Movie You Watched? thread. Do me a favor and read my post and tell me what I missed; I thought this film was awful. It had all the makings of and potential for a great film, but it failed across the board in my humble opinion, and while I couldn?t care less about Oscars, I?m am absolutely astounded it?s been nominated for as many as it has been. Best Actor/Supporting Actor, fine; DiCaprio and Pitt did a great job, but what they were asked to do and the context in which they were asked to do it was a bland, boring mess. Best Picture?? Get the hell out of here?
It was a very compelling and, for Tarantino, unusually sentimental portrayal of Hollywoods Golden Age. If you go into it expecting much of a plot you won't get anything out of it but as a series of at best loosely connected episodes about a small handful of characters living and working in that environment it's very enjoyable. And I guess there is a lot of subtext and commentary about that specific era in there. About the American film industry, its evolution and public perception.
 

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
16,782
832
118
PsychedelicDiamond said:
Xprimentyl said:
PsychedelicDiamond said:
Anyway, my favourite is Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. It's very much a "Hollywood celebrating itself" movie which the Academy generally seems to like so I think it has a decent chance.
Last night, I watched Once Upon A Time In Hollywood and posted thoughts on it today in the ?Last Movie You Watched? thread. Do me a favor and read my post and tell me what I missed; I thought this film was awful. It had all the makings of and potential for a great film, but it failed across the board in my humble opinion, and while I couldn?t care less about Oscars, I?m am absolutely astounded it?s been nominated for as many as it has been. Best Actor/Supporting Actor, fine; DiCaprio and Pitt did a great job, but what they were asked to do and the context in which they were asked to do it was a bland, boring mess. Best Picture?? Get the hell out of here?
It was a very compelling and, for Tarantino, unusually sentimental portrayal of Hollywoods Golden Age. If you go into it expecting much of a plot you won't get anything out of it but as a series of at best loosely connected episodes about a small handful of characters living and working in that environment it's very enjoyable. And I guess there is a lot of subtext and commentary about that specific era in there. About the American film industry, its evolution and public perception.
I can't say it felt like anything other than watching Tarantino at the playground. Like, was there any point to Sharon Tate in the movie, other than 'That's Margot Robbie playing Sharon Tate'? She has no connection to DiCaprio's or Pitt's character, and spends the entire movie just kinda faffing about. People who know about Sharon Tate will have the proper reaction to the ending regardless, and people who don't know won't realize what the ending is supposed to express anyway.

I think the only scenes I liked were on the Mason ranch, DiCaprio's trailer freak-out, and the very last scene which is all happy and care free, but obviously very tragic because that's ofcourse not how it went. Other than that this movie felt like a big bunch of nothing.

Also, why did Margaret Qualley have such fake looking armpit hair? They couldn't just grow that out, or was it somekind of Henry Cavill moustash situation?
 

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
5,601
2,857
118
Casual Shinji said:
I can't say it felt like anything other than watching Tarantino at the playground. Like, was there any point to Sharon Tate in the movie, other than 'That's Margot Robbie playing Sharon Tate'?
Never underestimate people's ability to not know stuff, including Tate's famous demise: she'll be in in some part to make sure people know who she is. But it's more than that: she's included to give us some empathy with her to add emotional heft to her onrushing fate; her lightness and joy to represent the happy face of the era (in contrast, perhaps, to the grim psychos of the Manson clan) or maybe DiCaprio's fading star.

...and the very last scene which is all happy and care free, but obviously very tragic because that's ofcourse not how it went.
Maybe. I think it was quite an achievement. Not knowing the movie ending, I got to the final reel thinking "Surely even Tarantino can't show us this" with a huge sense of foreboding... and then he blows it out of the water with cartoonish elan. It's... I don't know it's brilliant and in ways it's jarring, but it's just so striking and memorable.

Other than that this movie felt like a big bunch of nothing.
One might say that about a lot of Tarantino movies, or parts of Tarantino movies. I might wonder if it's to miss the point, perhaps - they're a lot about characters and characters interacting rather than plot happening.
 

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
16,782
832
118
Agema said:
Casual Shinji said:
I can't say it felt like anything other than watching Tarantino at the playground. Like, was there any point to Sharon Tate in the movie, other than 'That's Margot Robbie playing Sharon Tate'?
Never underestimate people's ability to not know stuff, including Tate's famous demise: she'll be in in some part to make sure people know who she is. But it's more than that: she's included to give us some empathy with her to add emotional heft to her onrushing fate; her lightness and joy to represent the happy face of the era (in contrast, perhaps, to the grim psychos of the Manson clan) or maybe DiCaprio's fading star.
Yeah, but that fate doesn't come to pass in the movie, so all of her scenes ultimately didn't matter. Sure, the initial viewing it might instill you with this sense of 'ah man, that poor girl', but once you've seen (or know) the ending it's just Sharon Tate hanging out.

...and the very last scene which is all happy and care free, but obviously very tragic because that's ofcourse not how it went.
Maybe. I think it was quite an achievement. Not knowing the movie ending, I got to the final reel thinking "Surely even Tarantino can't show us this" with a huge sense of foreboding... and then he blows it out of the water with cartoonish elan. It's... I don't know it's brilliant and in ways it's jarring, but it's just so striking and memorable.
Well, the act itself didn't do too much for me - It was just Tarantino being wacky and violent. It was the moment afterward where DiCaprio's character meets up with Sharon and her friends to tell them what happened where it kinda hits. Them just being happy and alive and continuing on with their lives, and for few seconds you fool yourself into thinking they got a happy ending.

Other than that this movie felt like a big bunch of nothing.
One might say that about a lot of Tarantino movies, or parts of Tarantino movies. I might wonder if it's to miss the point, perhaps - they're a lot about characters and characters interacting rather than plot happening.
It just didn't feel like there was much drive to the movie. From the first couple of scenes it already wasn't pulling me along. I never really bought into Pitt's or DiCaprio's character either. The constant driving and listening to the radio didn't help.
 

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
5,601
2,857
118
Casual Shinji said:
Yeah, but that fate doesn't come to pass in the movie, so all of her scenes ultimately didn't matter. Sure, the initial viewing it might instill you with this sense of 'ah man, that poor girl', but once you've seen (or know) the ending it's just Sharon Tate hanging out.
Well, to be fair, pretty much all movies are less exciting when you already know the end.

Most humans feel more strongly about people (including fictional characters) they have been encouraged to care about by seeing something of their lives and character. By showing us Sharon Tate throughout the movie, Tarantino is constantly foreshadowing what happened to her for tension, and encouraging the audience to care about her as a person. If he didn't, it would be considerably weaker in emotional impact.

Well, the act itself didn't do too much for me - It was just Tarantino being wacky and violent. It was the moment afterward where DiCaprio's character meets up with Sharon and her friends to tell them what happened where it kinda hits. Them just being happy and alive and continuing on with their lives, and for few seconds you fool yourself into thinking they got a happy ending.
They did get a happy ending. Just not the same ending as happened to those real people some characters were based on.

It just didn't feel like there was much drive to the movie. From the first couple of scenes it already wasn't pulling me along. I never really bought into Pitt's or DiCaprio's character either. The constant driving and listening to the radio didn't help.
Fair enough - I was happy enough with it, but it's all subjective.
 

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
2,715
892
118
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Gender
Male
PsychedelicDiamond said:
Xprimentyl said:
PsychedelicDiamond said:
Anyway, my favourite is Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. It's very much a "Hollywood celebrating itself" movie which the Academy generally seems to like so I think it has a decent chance.
Last night, I watched Once Upon A Time In Hollywood and posted thoughts on it today in the ?Last Movie You Watched? thread. Do me a favor and read my post and tell me what I missed; I thought this film was awful. It had all the makings of and potential for a great film, but it failed across the board in my humble opinion, and while I couldn?t care less about Oscars, I?m am absolutely astounded it?s been nominated for as many as it has been. Best Actor/Supporting Actor, fine; DiCaprio and Pitt did a great job, but what they were asked to do and the context in which they were asked to do it was a bland, boring mess. Best Picture?? Get the hell out of here?
It was a very compelling and, for Tarantino, unusually sentimental portrayal of Hollywoods Golden Age. If you go into it expecting much of a plot you won't get anything out of it but as a series of at best loosely connected episodes about a small handful of characters living and working in that environment it's very enjoyable. And I guess there is a lot of subtext and commentary about that specific era in there. About the American film industry, its evolution and public perception.
See, I didn?t get ANY of that. I?m ambivalent to Hollywood?s Golden Age (to ALL of Hollywood?s ages, honestly,) and this movie did nothing to change that; there was nothing there to do so.

Agema said:
Casual Shinji said:
Yeah, but that fate doesn't come to pass in the movie, so all of her scenes ultimately didn't matter. Sure, the initial viewing it might instill you with this sense of 'ah man, that poor girl', but once you've seen (or know) the ending it's just Sharon Tate hanging out.
Well, to be fair, pretty much all movies are less exciting when you already know the end.

Most humans feel more strongly about people (including fictional characters) they have been encouraged to care about by seeing something of their lives and character. By showing us Sharon Tate throughout the movie, Tarantino is constantly foreshadowing what happened to her for tension, and encouraging the audience to care about her as a person. If he didn't, it would be considerably weaker in emotional impact.
Ha! Well, in my opinion, Tarantino failed there. The only thing I felt for Robbie?s Tate was that she was an ultimately pointless distraction from a much more interesting story that wasn?t developing elsewhere.

This movie just wasn?t for me, I guess. It was like watching a pot of simmering water that got dumped into the sink after 3 hours. An utter waste of a LOT of talent (how much did he pay Pacino for his 4 minutes of screen time?)
 

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
16,613
727
118
Country
Argentina
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is definitely a love it or hate it movie. I loved it myself. Hope it gets Best Picture.
 

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
2,715
892
118
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Gender
Male
Johnny Novgorod said:
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is definitely a love it or hate it movie. I loved it myself. Hope it gets Best Picture.
Well, put me in the hate camp then. I only feel that strongly because of the amount of talent on both sides of the camera that was piddled away on what is tantamount to a 3-hour trailer for a potentially interesting movie that simply wasn?t made. That?s a good way to put, I think, it was a good trailer: it showed just enough to establish characters and hint at a broader narrative which is exactly and unfortunately what the whole movie ended up being.