Accpet Steam's New EULA or Say Goodbye To Your Steam Account UPDATED

targren

May 13, 2009
Wolverine18 said:
Do you have any specific examples do back your claim or is that just you being all anti-corporation because its trendy to be so?
Citizen's United v. FEC (SCOTUS, 2010)

and

AT&T Mobility v. Concepcion (SCOTUS, 2011)

provide citable reasons, on top of a working knowledge of American History. It's the gilded age all over again.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Damn, now I can't sue steam! Sueing steam is a thing everybody does and is planning to do, why are they taking that away! I want to be able to sue steam if my game doesn't work, I want millions!

Seriously guys, unless steam happened to kill your dog and drain your bank account then any claim you have for a class action lawsuit would be laughed out of court. So stop your botching about something nobody was goin lg to do anyway and accept the damn tos.

oplinger

Sep 2, 2010
Suki_ said:
oplinger said:
If this submission be right, McDonald's should not have served drinks at any temperature which would have caused a bad scalding injury. The evidence is that tea or coffee served at a temperature of 65 °C will cause a deep thickness burn if it is in contact with the skin for just two seconds. Thus, if McDonald?s were going to avoid the risk of injury by a deep thickness burn they would have had to have served tea and coffee at between 55 °C and 60 °C. But tea ought to be brewed with boiling water if it is to give its best flavour and coffee ought to be brewed at between 85 °C and 95 °C. Further, people generally like to allow a hot drink to cool to the temperature they prefer. Accordingly, I have no doubt that tea and coffee served at between 55 °C and 60 °C would not have been acceptable to McDonald's customers. Indeed, on the evidence, I find that the public want to be able to buy tea and coffee served hot, that is to say at a temperature of at least 65 °C, even though they know (as I think they must be taken to do for the purposes of answering issues (1) and (2)) that there is a risk of a scalding injury if the drink is spilled.
After the lawsuit, they lowered the temperature of their coffee to 90 degrees celsius. Still enough to cause third degree burns. The woman was out to ruin coffee, or punish Mcdonalds for her own lack of safety.

That is why it is commonly quoted as a ridiculous lawsuit. It was not "unfit for human consumption" it was how hot coffee should be.

Policy then was to serve coffee at 82-88°C. Policy now is between 80-90°C.
I have to ask but what moron wrote that crap you quoted? I honestly dont even think a five year old is stupid enough by that bullshit.
http://www.bailii.org/cgi-bin/markup.cgi?doc=/ew/cases/EWHC/QB/2002/490.html

The UK judge did. Because it's true. Hot tap water ideally is 60 degrees celsius. Which is scalding hot. That's 140 degrees fahrenheit. That is hot enough to cook a steak to medium.

Devon Dent

Mar 17, 2010
I can't read every comment so if this has been said before than that's cool. Why is everyone so thrown off about this and throwing words like 'piracy' around (In relation to how they want to game shop now). Any game has a ToS that you have to agree to in order to play it (even pirated ones) and if you don't agree to it you don't get to play the game. As far as I can see this is the same thing it is a ToS for a whole bunch of games, and if you actually bothered to read it in the first place it says that the ToS can be changed at any time without warning (That is somewhere near the bottom if I remember correctly).

TL;DNR - just click accept like you always do, the ToS typically won't apply to the average user.

Nov 28, 2007
oplinger said:
Suki_ said:
oplinger said:
If this submission be right, McDonald's should not have served drinks at any temperature which would have caused a bad scalding injury. The evidence is that tea or coffee served at a temperature of 65 °C will cause a deep thickness burn if it is in contact with the skin for just two seconds. Thus, if McDonald?s were going to avoid the risk of injury by a deep thickness burn they would have had to have served tea and coffee at between 55 °C and 60 °C. But tea ought to be brewed with boiling water if it is to give its best flavour and coffee ought to be brewed at between 85 °C and 95 °C. Further, people generally like to allow a hot drink to cool to the temperature they prefer. Accordingly, I have no doubt that tea and coffee served at between 55 °C and 60 °C would not have been acceptable to McDonald's customers. Indeed, on the evidence, I find that the public want to be able to buy tea and coffee served hot, that is to say at a temperature of at least 65 °C, even though they know (as I think they must be taken to do for the purposes of answering issues (1) and (2)) that there is a risk of a scalding injury if the drink is spilled.
After the lawsuit, they lowered the temperature of their coffee to 90 degrees celsius. Still enough to cause third degree burns. The woman was out to ruin coffee, or punish Mcdonalds for her own lack of safety.

That is why it is commonly quoted as a ridiculous lawsuit. It was not "unfit for human consumption" it was how hot coffee should be.

Policy then was to serve coffee at 82-88°C. Policy now is between 80-90°C.
I have to ask but what moron wrote that crap you quoted? I honestly dont even think a five year old is stupid enough by that bullshit.
http://www.bailii.org/cgi-bin/markup.cgi?doc=/ew/cases/EWHC/QB/2002/490.html

The UK judge did. Because it's true. Hot tap water ideally is 60 degrees celsius. Which is scalding hot. That's 140 degrees fahrenheit. That is hot enough to cook a steak to medium.
And if you spill that on you, will you get burned? Oh, hell yeah. But at 140 degrees, you are looking at second degree burns...with direct skin contact. Without, the evidence showed that the spilled coffee would cool before causing severe damage. Keep in mind, it's not like McDonald's was serving at 145 degrees Fahrenheit rather than 140 degrees. There's a big difference between 140 degrees and 180 degrees. Also, Mickey D's had been warned that their coffee was too hot to safely handle, and they ignored those warnings, claiming that their customers never drank the coffee on the road, always waiting 15 to 20 minutes, a fact that was contradicted in court.

Yes, spilling coffee on you will burn. Yes, Stella (the suer) was partially responsible due to spilling the coffee on herself (a fact that the jury, you know, agreed with, cutting down the damages due to finding her 20% at fault). But I'd love to know what world you live in where spilling coffee on yourself should result in skin grafts and 2 year's recovery time.

Sep 8, 2008
i think its shit that theyre doing this. i think its shit that they can do this. but theres been a lot of things on forums talking shit about steam recently and fewer than one would expect talking shit about origin for doing the exact same shit (and then some). i dont love steam, but am i the only one who suspects a 'geurilla marketing'(right term?) smear campaign here? its right in line with the sort of shit EA does every tuesday.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
742 said:
i think its shit that theyre doing this. i think its shit that they can do this.

Did you intend to sue them as part of a class-action? Because if not, you've got no reason to.

742 said:
but theres been a lot of things on forums talking shit about steam recently and fewer than one would expect talking shit about origin for doing the exact same shit (and then some). i dont love steam, but am i the only one who suspects a 'geurilla marketing'(right term?) smear campaign here? its right in line with the sort of shit EA does every tuesday.

I'm pretty sure hiring a bunch of people to post shit about EA and Valve respectively on forums will count as guerilla marketing. Mainly because it's not likely to be successful, and because if leaked, would be hugely embarrassing for valve, who are an above-board company, and hugely embarrassing for EA, who are a public company, and as such, would have to answer to shareholders why they're wasting cash.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
yuval152 said:
Wolverine18 said:
yuval152 said:
http://wegotthiscovered.com/news/valve-accept-steam-subscriber-agreement-disable-account/

So if you disagree.
That's how EVERY online service works.
I already know that I'm just posting news for people to disccuss about.
Then it isn't news is it? Its like trying to deactivate your E-Mail account and still be able to access your E-Mails. It just isn't how it works.

The thing people never understood is that you never owned the games you bought, and you don't even own physical copies anymore so it really is "Well accept or your games are gone" but if you accepted in the first place you understood that you didn't own these games you were purchasing.

Guilherme Zoldan said:
What a lot of people dont realize is that Steam is rather draconian DRM. Its just that they have such great customer service that it doesnt feel like it...until they decide to not let you play your own games.
Just like hard-copies now amiright? I'm sticking by my argument above, this is the case for pretty much every TOS. You want to delete your E-Mail account yet use a functionality of it still? Um no, either delete it in full like we allow you to or keep it.

If you honestly agreed to the TOS before with the assumption you owned these games then you were stupid to accept in the first place. The only people will fall into this pitfall are people who are just plain stupid.

nazgull2k1 said:
Ahh PirateBay... how do I love thee.. let me count the ways...
Yo, heads up but advocating or admitting to piracy is apparently is apparently against this site's rules [if it has been changed] so, you know, heads-up.

Like I said before, if you agreed to use a online distributor with some false assumption that you own these games then your insane. Hell even hard-copies you don't technically own anymore.

You either accept or you go somewhere else, and honestly, with places like GOG, Origin, Green Man Gaming and Desura there are several other places you can go for your gaming fix.

algalon

Dec 6, 2010
In all honesty, if Steam is ever taken to court for royally screwing its customers in a way that would almost require a class action to settle, I'm sure there's plenty of judges willing to waive the TOS in a heartbeat. The accusations just have to be severe enough. On that note, Steam would have to pull a complete 180 from what is currently a stunning track record of pleasing its customers. EULA's and TOS agreements aren't nearly as binding as people think they are.

CentralScrtnzr

May 2, 2011
This just makes piracy more appealing. If Valve is so afraid of money and fame that they feel the need to screw their customers, it won't go well for them. In fact, I'd like to see a few examples of them doing just that, deleting a customer's library of games, just for all the massive negative press they'd receive. They'd never sell another game ever again.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
piinyouri said:
Well you see, like many people keep saying, you don't own digital only games.
http://www.destructoid.com/eu-court-rejects-eulas-says-digital-games-can-be-resold-230641.phtml

Actually, if I read that correctly, no in Europe atleast, if you buy a digital game it is yours to do with as you please....

Which begs the question, is this new TOS mandatory in the EU as well as the US?

Can we get some French, Austrian or German people to chime in here and answer this?

Stormz

Jul 4, 2009
CentralScrtnzr said:
This just makes piracy more appealing. If Valve is so afraid of money and fame that they feel the need to screw their customers, it won't go well for them. In fact, I'd like to see a few examples of them doing just that, deleting a customer's library of games, just for all the massive negative press they'd receive. They'd never sell another game ever again.
Valve's fanbase is one of the most loyal I've ever seen, you only need to look at this thread to realize it. They pretty much have free reign to do whatever they want and the customers will bend over and ask for more. I for one am scared of this new trend considering digital distribution is becoming more prevalent. What happens if they get hacked and all your personal info and credit card info get stolen? Having all you're games linked to an account is just asking for trouble. I'll never replace my hard copies of games, and when the all digital future comes, I won't be a part of it. I'll find a new hobby.

Iron Criterion

Feb 4, 2009
Surprise, surprise; there's nowhere near as much hate here as there would be if Origin had done something similar. The amount of corporate apology for Steam on these forums is disgusting.