Actions in Games That Made You Physically Uncomfortable.

Kieve

Jan 4, 2011
Physically uncomfortable would be Half-Life 2, Portal, etc - something about Valve's graphics engine just makes me queasy and results in a nasty headache. No idea why.

As for games that have affected me emotionally? Been a few, most of the popular ones already named here. I'll start with one that isn't though...

Morrowind: Defeating/Killing Dagoth Ur. Since he's pretty much the main bad guy from the beginning, I wouldn't say that's a spoiler.
...As the main questline progresses, you learn the history of how Dagoth Ur and Nerevar were friends, until Ur was corrupted by Kagrenac's tools and the power of the Heart of Lorkhan. All the game lore leading up to that point made it feel more like the ending of "Old Yeller" than a climactic battle between good and evil.

Other games:
-Molag Bal's quest, I chased the priest back after telling him about Molag Bal - what I'd meant to say did not translate well in the game's short-hand dialogue options, and he basically assumed that I was on Bal's side. So he ran, and I chased him back to the creepy dungeon, hoping I could warn him off the trap or somehow save his ass. Instead, I ended up locked into the torture scenario...

-Siding with the Imperials in the civil war. It was a decision I stewed about for a good half the game, and paid visits to both leaders before finally deciding that Ulfric was a power-hungry douche and needed to be taught his place (didn't help that he sounded like he was voiced by Stallone, who I'm no fan of). But the worst part was after the war ended, and seeing half the Jarls I'd helped sitting, ousted from their positions, at the table in Windhelm. Laila Law-Giver in particular broke my heart since she was about the only decent influence in Riften to start with, and it killed me knowing I'd turned the Jarl's throne there over to that damned Maven and her brat.
EDIT:
Scabadus said:
Mostly agreed, although the Imperials are trying to avoid rekindling full-on war with the Thalmor. Seems weird trading national war for civil, but either way I made it a point to murder every Thalmor in sight. Taking out that one ambassador and his two bodyguards in Markarth's inner keep and getting out without a bounty? Possibly my favorite moment in the game. 'Course, they all have kill-on-sight orders for Ra'Shirr now, but that's their deathwish. >:}

-Failing to make peace between Quarians and Geth. Seeing Legion on its knees, asking if it had a soul? I cried. Hard. Stopped playing for the rest of the night, and was still a wreck when I went into work the next day.

-In the "Bring Down The Sky" DLC, a Batarian renegade forces you to choose between killing him and saving a number of innocent hostages. I typically go full paragon, but it was damn hard not to put a round through each of Balak's eyes, especially considering the side-quest on that asteroid where the one tech asks you to look for his missing engineers - all dead, and all with some pretty brutal "how they died" message popups. I still wonder why having the Normandy blow Balak's escape shuttle apart wasn't an option...

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
Eddie the head said:
Well you might want to say spoilers in the title. But the game I want to say it about a year old so if you haven't played it yet you are not going to.
Killing Zeke at the end of Infamous 2 evil ending was Uncomfortable to say the least.
Ya that one was pretty bad. This one from skyrim was also unpleasent. Mind you I realize they're just pixels so the feeling is dulled in some respect, but this is the most recent example I can think of atm.

In one of the first big Dark Brotherhood quests in Skyrim you get an optional objective to kill some innocent girl out of spite to make some old woman feel bad or something

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
RamirezDoEverything said:
Skyrim
I don't want to kill Parthuunax, he's a pretty chill dude! Sure, he enslaved people a really long time ago, he just helped me fucking kill Alduin!

I don;t thing I'll ever go through with it
I don't want to either! Luckily you don't miss out on anything for not doing it, but you lose a good group of friends. But I refuse to! He's repented, more than enough, and I'll never back down on that decision!

I did once though, just to see what would happen. I felt so horrible I reloaded before I did it.

Most definitely in Penumbra: Overture
was having to kill Red. Luckily Philip wasn't too pleased with the idea as well, and Red really wanted to be set free, but his death was horrible and unnecessary.

Smithburg

May 21, 2009
Hwavy Rain, where you make him cut his finger off with a pair of safety scissors XD It was difficult, but I had to do it, albeit with a bit of cackling >.>

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Smithburg said:
Hwavy Rain, where you make him cut his finger off with a pair of safety scissors XD It was difficult, but I had to do it, albeit with a bit of cackling >.>
I saw a playthrough of that and it made me CRINGE through most of it.

Luckily I was smart in my playthrough and did it the better way.

OT: Red Dead Redemption, I felt every bit of it.

and mostly Molag Bal's quest in Skyrim, What the...no good ending!?

Don Savik

Aug 27, 2011
dancinginfernal said:
The entirety of Vincent's actions in Catherine.
Yea my friend said him being a spineless ponce made him easier to relate to as a character.

NO IT DIDN'T. He was a jack@$$ in every sense of the word. I hated how stupid that game's premise is.

"I have a pregnant girlfriend who I'm about to marry! But if a girl shows me their tits OH NO I CAN'T HELP MYSELF I HAVE TO HAVE SEX WITH HER BECAUSE I HAVE TO....oh noooooooooo....im a deep and complicated individual.....or.....something."

Either punch the broad in the face, or break up with your current girlfriend. BAM end of story.

If you can't tell I hated the game.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
Eddie the head said:
Well you might want to say spoilers in the title. But the game I want to say it about a year old so if you haven't played it yet you are not going to.
Killing Zeke at the end of Infamous 2 evil ending was Uncomfortable to say the least.
Damn straight. I actually tried to let him kill me in that segment. It unfortunately didn't work.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
JoesshittyOs said:
Mine's probably a little meh in comparison to most of these, but did anyone ever feel a little guilty about killing the security guards in Splinter Cell Conviction's Deniable Ops?

Because it made you kill at least ten of them to move on. 10 guys who probably had no idea what they were guarding, and had kids.
I felt nothing because that mode was presented in an entirely arcade fashion.

Sonic_Boom

Dec 24, 2008
Skyrim so...
Killing Cicero in the Dawnstar Sanctuary. I know that it's a choice, but when I did kill him I felt terrible, especially as he says "Coming...Mother!..." when he dies ;_;
So I instantly did a quickload from before killing him.
It's made worse by the fact I never really liked Astrid anyway.

Also in Fallout: New Vegas I was originally going to get the legion ending first, then get the Independent ending, but the way everybody in game (mainly Arcade and Boone) talked about the legion and the way I never really liked them made me feel really uncomfortable joining them, so I ended up getting the legion ending second time round and an independent ending first. Even then I felt uncomfortable, and on that run I was blowing up the head of every Human, Ghoul and Robot I could see, karma be darned.
I dunno it might be just me, but did anyone else feel terrible when getting the legion ending?

samaugsch

Oct 13, 2010
DaJoW said:
A daedric quest starting in Markarth has you lure a priest into a dungeon and to a shrine, where he is killed. You then eat him, along with a group of other cannibals, all of them making fun of the whole thing, one hinting at eating her husband ("My husband recently passed, very sad. He had such wonderful... taste."), another at serving human(oid) flesh to the customers at his inn.

You even get a ring that gives you a stat buff whenever you eat someone.

And that's why I hated the uproar about the "killable children" mod.
Another thing I thought was strange is that as long as children are apparently invincible in Skyrim, they should just send them after Alduin instead, or at least accompany him. Children seem to be more effective than any armor in the game anyway.

Cheesus333

Aug 20, 2008
This is on the edge of not counting, but I'm pretty massively arachnophobic and so although I can bear to run right up to Skyrim's spiders[footnote]As horrifically grotesque as they are[/footnote] and kill them, walking my character over the corpses makes me squirm. It's ridiculous, but I can genuinely feel them underneath me and it just makes me nauseous.

Captcha: hairy eyeball

...In a post about spiders? Fucking hell captcha, you're actually trying to make me gag, aren't you?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Having just completed my pure Renegade playthrough of ME 3...yeah, there were a few occasions that I basically had to grit my teeth and say "Gotta do it just to see how it plays out..."

<spoiler=I'm speaking, of course, of all the epic back-stabs that you pull off as ReneShep>1: Shooting Mordin in the back to prevent him from curing the Genophage. Mordin was always one of my favorite characters. Delightfully eccentric as salarians go, he was a valued member of my team in ME 2...hell, without him Shepard would have never been able to even fight the Collectors without the swarms freezing him and his squad for capture. And here you just straight up shoot him in the back...even I felt like a horrible person for doing that, but it had to be done for the sake of continuity in my Renegade playthrough.

Killing Mordin, in turn causes Wrex to jump you towards the end of the game, giving you the chance to gun his ass down as well. Things got tense on Virmire in ME 1, however I think that situation strengthens the bond of trust between Wrex and Shepard. Wrex remains a good and close friend through ME 2, however in ME 3 - going the Renegade route - he knows that you destroyed Maelon's genophage data back in ME 2 and is already starting to distrust you. Then you go and betray him and his entire race by shooting Mordin...and then you've gotta pump him full of lead on the Citadel when he confronts you about it.

But worst of all had to be betraying and killing Legion. Maybe it's because HK47 was my favorite character from the KotOR universe, but Legion quickly became one of my favorite characters in the Mass Effect universe. In ME 3, it makes it quite clear that the Quarians were being a bunch of dicks when they tried to wipe out the Geth. The Geth had absolutely no intention of turning openly hostile against the Quarians in the beginning. This paints them as the sympathetic race in that particular war. Annnnnnnd yet you refuse to acknowledge this, doom his race to death which prompts him to react accordingly: trying to kill you. This causes Tali to literally stab him in the back and sets you up to shoot him not once, not twice, but three frickin' times. I felt like I was putting down Ol' Yeller because after each shoot Legion looks back up to you as if wondering why it had to come to this...until you shoot his flashlight-eye out.

Yeah, all of the above situations made me feel like just an absolute horrible person. But hell, I had trouble picking to betray Samara and save Morinth in ME 2 because of how huge of a backstab that really is.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
"I Am Alive" as a few of these.

In one instance, you are traveling through a destroyed skyscraper, and come across a group that pull their weapons on you and tell you to back off. Now, by that stage, I was sick of being bullied, so I killed the three people, and moved on. On the next floor, I come across a couple of children asking if I'd seen their parents downstairs. That made me feel like a scumbag.

Also, in "Castlevania: Lords of Shadow",

killing the Guardian Knight, who correctly guesses you killed his young protege, even if you yourself don't know it at the time.

And of course, in "Singularity",

shooting your past self from earlier in the game

There are more, but most of those have been covered by other users.

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
rob_simple said:
...give you that horrible feeling in the pit of your stomach either as a result of something that you had no control over or that you were forced to do.
Ah, well in that case, the part in Uncharted 3 where you have to walk through the desert. Getting stuck in a desert is one of my biggest fears, and watching Drake slowly getting weaker did NOT help.

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
The first time I plugged in Mirror's Edge, I figured I would give myself the total immersion and I sat really close to my TV so it filled up most of my field of view. Two hours in I was experiencing the worst case of motion sickness I've ever gotten from a video game.

I took a break until I felt better, and when I continued later I was sitting at a reasonable distance :)

tobi the good boy

Dec 16, 2007
Nihilanth said:
tobi the good boy said:
Terminate421 said:
The Molag Bal quest in Skyrim.

Anyone who enjoyed doing that quest is a sick fuck.
The person you were killing was a practitioner of another daedric lord, who's just as evil as Molag Bal, heck Boethiah made you kill all of her followers for shits and giggles.
What about joining Namira's group of cannibals?
Cannibalism is just natures way of recycling :p