Activision Buys Candy Crush Saga Dev King For $5.9 Billion

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
RaikuFA said:
Ldude893 said:
A publisher known for abusively milking its game series' dry while barely possessing any originality, and a developer which once wanted to trademark the word 'Candy' and 'King' while known for one mediocre copycat game designed to suck money out of people.

Yeah, they make quite a couple.
They also tried to copyright saga then sued the makers of the Banner Saga for having Saga in their name.
Congratulations, Activition! You just aquired the EA of mobile gaming!

not_you

Don't ask, or you won't know
Mar 16, 2011
Ldude893 said:
A publisher known for abusively milking its game series' dry while barely possessing any originality, and a developer which once wanted to trademark the word 'Candy' and 'King' while known for one mediocre copycat game designed to suck money out of people.

Yeah, they make quite a couple.
I was about to say, it sounds like you're describing Activision perfectly... Until the trademark point...

And even then, it's worse than just "Candy" and "King" because of the issue vs The Banner Saga over, well, "Saga"

Who knows, maybe they'll try to trademark "Crush" too and make all the juice companies change their naming conventions... HA!

But yeah, whoever said they should buy King had a relatively alright idea. (After all, mobile games are where it's at, apparently)
The one who said yes to almost 6 billion dollars, however, did not.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
To bad it wasn't EA because King is one company I'd like to see get the EA treatment, IE being bought up, milked to oblivion, and then cast aside.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
LordMonty said:
Darker truth about this is that this is pcoket change for Activision Blizzard, people keep chuckling at wow loosing subscribers but they keep making record profits. And CoD will make Activision more crazy money this year like every year. So in all honesty the people at A-B know what they're doing and mostly likely will make even more money from this some how, they're gaming's biggest beast and we should fear them and what they'll do next.

All I hope is they let Banner Saga copyright their name now as that was the only thing that really pissed me off about King and it's Candy Crush Saga.
Don't worry. The armchair investors will insist this is the deathknell for Activision, and they'll completely ignore it. They'll keep ignoring the WoW subs, Starcraft, Hearthstone (Blizzard has always been a significant part of Activisions sales), the fact that CoD continues to be profitable, if less popular, and that these guys are one of the biggest in the business.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Hmmm, so it's assholes together now? A match made in heaven or...somewhere. Can we just give them both the finger and move on?