Activision CEO: "No Choice" But to Fire Infinty Ward Execs

aaronmcc

Oct 18, 2008
His lawyer is gonna bust a blood vessel. He pretty pretty much just said the decision was also a personal one. Your lawsuit just turned up shit creek mr. kotick. keep your mouth shut next time.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
Dear CEO: Money cost you developers.

Money cost you weight.

Money will cost you players.

Money will cost you your friggin chair. Enjoy it while you can.

Not to deprive them of their bonuses? The guys STILL AREN'T PAID!

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
HSIAMetalKing said:
Andy Chalk said:
Infinity Ward [http://www.infinityward.com/] remains "the top destination for development talent in the video game industry," Kotick said
Get over yourselves-- all you've got is Call of fucking Duty.
Yeah, they've only got the biggest selling franchise in gamings recent history...

Motiv_

Jun 2, 2009
coldalarm said:
Dear Bobby Kotick,
If you truly want to protect your shareholders & its interests, I suggest you re-evaluate yourself. Either:
1. Resign.
2. Stop being a plague upon the gaming industry.
Or...
How about stop shamelessly milking franchises (Call of Duty & Guitar Hero as examples), stop charging above-average prices for standard editions of games (e.g. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2) and their respective DLC (e.g. the first MW2 DLC pack), and start treating your customers and staff with a bit of respect. We're the ones who fill up the coffers after all.
Thank you.

And in other words, whilst we don't know the circumstances, firing the bosses of Infinity Ward in the way it was done is terrible. I bet they've lowered morale (some people have jumped ship, for example) and they've just furthered their reputation as a bunch of utter pilchards.

If Activision really want to be seen as a good company, Kotick really needs to get his backside into gear.
I agree completely. I also love how he takes this PR opportunity to shamelessly promote his own company. All Activision has is a few heavily overmilked franchises, it is not "The top destination for talent in the games industry" because if it was, then they'd make something different, not just slap a graphics upgrade and a few new missions/songs on it and release it as a new game.

aaronmcc

Oct 18, 2008
SlainPwner666 said:
snippy

I agree completely. I also love how he takes this PR opportunity to shamelessly promote his own company. All Activision has is a few heavily overmilked franchises, it is not "The top destination for talent in the games industry" because if it was, then they'd make something different, not just slap a graphics upgrade and a few new missions/songs on it and release it as a new game.
This. I mean, imagine you're one of the guys working ON guitar hero. How fucking bored would be, considering how fucking boring it is to actually PLAY these days?

dragonnewby

Mar 31, 2009
Man, this is like the End of Evangelion. Instead of NERF, it's Infinity Ward. I wonder when all the humanity will become one XD

aegios187

Jun 17, 2007
This brought a tear to my eye, then I realized it was a reaction from the utter stink of the Public Relations 101 bullshit coming out of Mr Kotick's mouth. Could you be any more transparent? There's far too many people coming out of IW and by all accounts appear to be on the same page with the douchebaggery at play coming from this man.

For being a CEO, this guy is clueless as the day is long. Everytime he opens his mouth, the cock up factor rises exponentially.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
Hubilub said:
Demon ID said:
Hubilub said:
Andy Chalk said:
"I personally considered [West and Zampella] friends,"

Remind me never to mess with Kotick again.

If that is how he treats his friends, I do not want to know how he treats his enemies...
I expect he acts alot like Mr Devon Banks, thats how i've always pictured him. Hell this is how I imagine the conversations between him, West and Zampella went:

It's nice to know that they have a new company and I hope that the next game they make is better than MW2, that really knocked my confidence in them.
Although sadly, IW doesn't have a laser shield.

Damn you Kotick and your futuristic warfare!
It's a true shame they don't, now all i've got to do is find other funny characters to be parts of the gaming community, I wonder if I can combine Bernard Black to anyone...

As for activision right now, all I can hope for is a good treatment of Bungie. If that goes all fucked up i'm just going to refuse to buy their games anymore on priniciple. Hell it won't affect their sales but i'll feel happy knowing i'm not funding them.

Crunchy English

Victim of a Savage Neck-bearding
Aug 20, 2008
Bullsh*t. I don't think Vince and Jason are angels, they're arrogant artists and sly moneymakers, exactly the kind of people Kotick would have as friends. Let's be clear though:

Infinity Ward is finished. Team synergy is a thing, whether you want to believe it or not. You can't just randomly replace 30 guys and not expect your output to be irrecoverably damaged

Respawn Studios will take years to build up and if they try and shortcut the team-building process, they'll fail around game 3 (the first two will have enough hype off this debacle to sell regardless of quality)

Those are both good things. Get those lame ass shooters out of the way so that other genres can finally get a taste of that sweet money. Goddamn I hate it when people consider call of duty a good series. No, its not a good a series. It's a good game, a game they made six times with different visuals.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
yes...I agree with you Kotick

I mean, how could they expect to get PAID??

I mean, of course the Emperor deserves ALL of the money, right?

surely any other way must be absurd!

...sigh hopefully the courts fry his [rear]

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Oh that's a load of fucking bullshit and this asswipe knows it. Was this statement written by a six year old? To protect his assets and his shareholders? As far as I'm concerned, that team brought him the biggest entertainment launch of all time. What's he going to lose out of those assets were he to give them the fucking bonuses, a fucking penny?

Get your head out of your asses. You never treated West and Zampella with an ounce of respect. You went against giving them the permission to make CoD2 a modern warfare title up until you gave them permission to, while you handed CoD3 to Treyarch.

Do all of us a favor, and please for the love of God please die in a motherfucking fire.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
This is what is classicly known as Damage Control ... and its not very good damage control at that.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
If Mr. Kotick wants to deal with this firestorm he really needs to explain/justify his behavior, which he constantly talks around, which leads me to believe there is no way he CAN justify it.

Sure there is a lot of speculation, but I think there needs to be some specifics if this is going to end. The more he avoids giving them, the worse he's going to look.

Blimey

Nov 10, 2009
I think everything that can be said has been by my fine, fellow Escapists.

One tip, Mr. Kotick:

If you are going to fire 2 Executives, don't do it right after they made you enough money to buy a goddamned island, and for fuck's sake don't do it right before they're supposed to get their bonuses. Jeez.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
Wait, you expect us to believe you have any friends but money after all the comments you made, Kotick?

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
"I personally considered [West and Zampella] friends," he added.
This just makes Kotick seem even more pathetic because i'm damn sure they didn't consider him a friend ;D

You can only imagine Kotick is completely anti-social.

phoenix352

Mar 29, 2009
Demon ID said:
Hubilub said:
Andy Chalk said:

Remind me never to mess with Kotick again.

If that is how he treats his friends, I do not want to know how he treats his enemies...
I expect he acts alot like Mr Devon Banks, thats how i've always pictured him. Hell this is how I imagine the conversations between him, West and Zampella went:

It's nice to know that they have a new company and I hope that the next game they make is better than MW2, that really knocked my confidence in them.
dude what movie is that from ? hilarious scene :D .

OT: bobby wants people to feel sorry for him because he lost 2 friends D:, i aint buying it.

The Stonker

Feb 26, 2009
Yeah, they've only got the biggest selling franchise in gamings recent history...[/quote]

And? It's pretty formula based.