Activision CEO: "No Choice" But to Fire Infinty Ward Execs

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Translation: I wanted their money, and now it's backfired, so here's what *really* happened. Honest.

HSIAMetalKing

Jan 2, 2008
D_987 said:
HSIAMetalKing said:
Andy Chalk said:
Infinity Ward [http://www.infinityward.com/] remains "the top destination for development talent in the video game industry," Kotick said
Get over yourselves-- all you've got is Call of fucking Duty.
Yeah, they've only got the biggest selling franchise in gamings recent history...
Yeah, which means they aren't the "top destination for development talent in the video game industry"-- just the top destination for people who want to make more Call of Duty for people who want to play more Call of Duty.

miva2

Mar 18, 2010
it's funny how he talks about friends xD
i wonder what it's like to be his 'friend' xD

mogamer

Jan 26, 2010
Christ, who do we believe? It looks to me that both parties are pathetic.

Kotick: Let's only deal in IP's that we can make a multiple game series out of. Let's sell games that involve forcing people to buy expensive plastic crap as controllers. Oh and legal, please try to prevent bonuses from being paid!

West and Zampella: Oh we weren't talking to anyone else. Disregard that we almost immediately signed on with EA. Oh and please forget that we consolized the pc version of COD: MW2 therebye making it impossible for users to create maps. Then we sell a map pack for $15!

As far as I'm concerned, both parties can go to deepest depths of hell.

TheRealCJ

Mar 28, 2009
Hubilub said:
Andy Chalk said:
"I personally considered [West and Zampella] friends,"

Remind me never to mess with Kotick again.

If that is how he treats his friends, I do not want to know how he treats his enemies...
Again?

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
phoenix352 said:
dude what movie is that from ? hilarious scene :D .

OT: bobby wants people to feel sorry for him because he lost 2 friends D:, i aint buying it.
That's not a movie, that's the super-awesome tv-series 30 Rock.

WATCH IT!

Feb 13, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
Kotick also claimed to be distressed by their behavior on a personal level. "I personally considered [West and Zampella] friends," he added. "Their conduct was a compromise of our friendship, which was equally disappointing."
Awww, poor baby. I wonder if West and Zampella thought he was their friend when he WITHHELD THEIR PAY?

obisean

May the Force Be With Me
Feb 3, 2009
I think I know why Kotick had no choice. The conversation went a little something like this:

K: "We should rip everyone off on this future map pack."

W&Z: "We were thinking that we should maybe give it away for free, or at very least a discount, as more of a thank you for making us the best selling game of all time."

K: "You are fired." *to protect the company's assets and the interest of our shareholders*

Thats what I get out of it anyway.

luckshot

Jul 18, 2008
Hubilub said:
TheRealCJ said:
Hubilub said:
Andy Chalk said:

If that is how he treats his friends, I do not want to know how he treats his enemies...
Again?
I... uh...

What now? I'm confused.
it's like messin with sasquatch. fun until he tosses you through a window

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
HSIAMetalKing said:
Yeah, which means they aren't the "top destination for development talent in the video game industry"-- just the top destination for people who want to make more Call of Duty for people who want to play more Call of Duty.
What an idiotic statement - I could apply that to any studio in the world - "It's the top destination for people who want to make more of game X"

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
aaronmcc said:
His lawyer is gonna bust a blood vessel. He pretty pretty much just said the decision was also a personal one. Your lawsuit just turned up shit creek mr. kotick. keep your mouth shut next time.
Precisely what I was thinking. The lawyer representing West and Zampella is going to have a field day with this.

HSIAMetalKing

Jan 2, 2008
D_987 said:
HSIAMetalKing said:
What an idiotic statement - I could apply that to any studio in the world - "It's the top destination for people who want to make more of game X"
Yeah you could, but the statement would only be ironic if said studio produced only one series of games in one genre and then claimed that they represent the epitome of the gaming industry.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
HSIAMetalKing said:
D_987 said:
HSIAMetalKing said:
Yeah you could, but the statement would only be ironic if said studio produced only one series of games in one genre and then claimed that they represent the epitome of the gaming industry.
Ah, but he didn't say that - he said it was the top destination for talent - which to an extent it was /is (based on name and IP rights alone); look how many experienced people have left, and look at their credentials. In an industry like this many of those peoples skills will be based on the projects they have worked on - and in working on the most successful game ever they could be seen as being at the top of their trade - thus his statement is correct.

HSIAMetalKing

Jan 2, 2008
D_987 said:
HSIAMetalKing said:
D_987 said:
HSIAMetalKing said:
Ah, but he didn't say that - he said it was the top destination for talent - which to an extent it was /is (based on name and IP rights alone); look how many experienced people have left, and look at their credentials. In an industry like this many of those peoples skills will be based on the projects they have worked on - and in working on the most successful game ever they could be seen as being at the top of their trade - thus his statement is correct.
But those people with the talent/experience/credentials/skills left, so it's not really a destination-- more of a departure point. Thus his statement is false.

Outamyhead

Feb 25, 2009
Wow if he's not BS'ing the public (which he probably is) I'd hate to be friends with this guy, sounds like this guy back stabbed a lot of friends to get where he is.

Otterpoet

Jun 6, 2008
...adding that their betrayal of his friendship was just as disappointing as their alleged professional misconduct.

I don't think I've laughed so hard in ages as when I read this. This man cares about "friendship"? Give me a break!

Kotick would drain the blood out of his own children if it'd make a profit... assuming he hasn't already sold their souls in the name of the Investors.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
phoenix352 said:
Demon ID said:
Hubilub said:
Andy Chalk said:

I expect he acts alot like Mr Devon Banks, thats how i've always pictured him. Hell this is how I imagine the conversations between him, West and Zampella went:

It's nice to know that they have a new company and I hope that the next game they make is better than MW2, that really knocked my confidence in them.
dude what movie is that from ? hilarious scene :D .

OT: bobby wants people to feel sorry for him because he lost 2 friends D:, i aint buying it.
It's not from a Movie, it's a Tv show called 30rock. In the UK you can find it on comedycentral, for the US i'm not sure but i'm guessing it will be an easy find. I would suggest you give it a try, I wasn't expecting it to be as funny as it was, certainly worth my time. :D