Activision CEO Says He Would Raise Prices Even Higher

suhlEap

Apr 14, 2009
i realise this would never EVER happen, but the only way for people to do anything about this would be to boycott the games put out by him in the near future. especially modern warfare 2. but saying that, i know it's too much to ask for from the die hard fans.

T-Bone24

Dec 29, 2008
NekoiHiokans said:
Amnestic said:
NekoiHiokans said:
Give me the picture...me and my art friends would make him look like a ken doll in drag!

And seriously, how much is Modern Warfare 2 going to cost, I don't wanna give an arm and a leg for a damn game.
RRP is £55 in Britain, though a number of retailers (Play.com, GAME) still have the price listed at a more normal price of £30-40 last I checked, seemingly bucking Activision's desire to price gouge.

Whether that changes between now and release remains to be seen.
Ick...that's sounds expensive, I don't even wanna know the amount US, guess I'll just have to have a heart attack when I go to buy it.
Hate to give you a heart attack, but that's $90.

KingPiccolOwned

Jan 12, 2009
I read this yesterday. Also I really hope to see this guy in the Greed circle of Hell in EA's upcomming Dante's Inferno.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
Seriously? Seriously? Forget Ozzy Osbourne, Bobby Kotick's the one that's riding the bloody crazy train. He must be pretty damned confident in his ability to hold onto his current job.

Magnatek

A Miserable Pile of Honesty
Jul 17, 2009
The_Oracle said:
Seriously? Seriously? Forget Ozzy Osbourne, Bobby Kotick's the one that's riding the bloody crazy train. He must be pretty damned confident in his ability to hold onto his current job.
The guy probably has tenure (those who don't know what tenure is, send me a PM, and I'll get back to you).

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
Rhayn said:
I don't know what goes on in his head. I'm trying to understand what it is with money that makes you go crazy. This guy already makes ungodly amounts of green, yet it seems all he has to say involves him making even more of it.

It's pissing me off, to say the least. What's even more annoying is that he is in fact allowed to do that - Activision is a company, companies need to make money.

I guess what I'm trying to say that I wasn't expecting any goodwill from Activision, but damnit, this is going overboard. I would like to say that I'm going to completley stop buying any of their games, but I play WoW, so that's not going to happen. Regardless, I already decided to not get MW2 and instead buy two copies of Brutal Legend.
why two..

Kilo24

Aug 20, 2008
Well, as inflation becomes more and more significant in today's economy, prices will rise. Realize that the Commodore 64 was originally $595 and only cost ~$135 to make, then look at the PS3 being made at cost -- being sold at a price less than it takes to make it. (I don't know if that's still true because optimizations have no doubt been made in its manufacture.)

Look at the cost of games: new games have been ~$50 on release for the majority of the console/pc gaming market's lifetime. But comparing the production costs and quality of, say, ET on Atari (one guy was given less than a month to make it) versus the mammoth effort required for Grand Theft Auto 4 or a recent Call of Duty game shows that the $50 product are widely disparate in actual value. Even if you disregard inflation, that's still true. And it's still true that the majority of NES and earlier games take less effort to make than most indie games or Flash games do today, despite originally being priced for much more.

Part of that's because gaming's become bigger and bigger, so that they can afford much less profit on each unit. Part of that's because pricing conventions are hard to break, and the company that increases the price first will suffer a disadvantage in competition and a bad reputation. Once the first company's broken the ranks in the pricing schemes, more will follow from a safe distance.

Ultimately, entertainment industries are ruled by what people are willing to pay. ~$50 for a new game has persisted for a while, but is already falling apart as production costs get higher and higher. I won't say that increasing the cost of games will make them better, but it will keep the companies alive longer to spit out more.

leviathanmisha

Jun 21, 2009
T-Bone24 said:
NekoiHiokans said:
Amnestic said:
NekoiHiokans said:
Give me the picture...me and my art friends would make him look like a ken doll in drag!

And seriously, how much is Modern Warfare 2 going to cost, I don't wanna give an arm and a leg for a damn game.
RRP is £55 in Britain, though a number of retailers (Play.com, GAME) still have the price listed at a more normal price of £30-40 last I checked, seemingly bucking Activision's desire to price gouge.

Whether that changes between now and release remains to be seen.
Ick...that's sounds expensive, I don't even wanna know the amount US, guess I'll just have to have a heart attack when I go to buy it.
Hate to give you a heart attack, but that's $90.
that's half of my paycheck...*sigh*...screw it, me and my bf are going half on it.

CyberAkuma

Elite Member
Nov 27, 2007
This is the reason why the Pirate Bay exists.

I know one should never advocate for Piracy, but fuck this guy. He wants to raise the prices just for the heck of it and try to get away with it.
Fuck him.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
I believe this would be best illustrated by illustration.

Gentlemen, we have a smiling photo to deface, don't you think?
well, half the jobs already done for us, he's already behind a flaming red/orange background... :p

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
Basically, I think this is him peeing over the consumers.

What he needs to realise is people will NOT buy games at their full RRP (in the UK I believe the RRP of PC games is £40, but they always tend to sell for £30 or less), and would much rather wait for the sales.

I bet the sales figures for Guitar Hero/Rock Band/The like went up massively in the post-Christmas sales because companies were slashing the prices to £30-40, instead of the usual £50-60.

http://www.game.co.uk/Xbox360/Action/FirstPersonShooter/~r339837/Modern-Warfare-2/ <MW2 on GAME.co.uk, £45 at the time of posting, which is damned high for a preorder.

They're gonna lose a lot of sales if they use that price, IMHO. Sure, it'll still sell rather well, but knock it down £5-£10 and sales will rocket.

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
Keane Ng said:
Even further might be in reference to Activision's pricing of Modern Warfare 2 in the UK, where the game will run for £54.99 (about $90).
I would be more angry at him if not for the fact that the price mentioned still is considerably lower than the price for a console game on release in Denmark in retail. *sigh* It's more like £65 here. And CoD:MW2 will probably be even more. Good job I won't be buying it.

Looking through my games, the last Activision game I bought may be Vampire: The Masquarade - Bloodlines. And I paid £6 for that one. So I'll be voting with my wallet. But not out of principle. Just because I expect it to be a bad game.