Activision Fires Back Over Schafer Name-Calling

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
DTWolfwood said:
coldalarm said:
DTWolfwood said:
Props to Kotick for making Activision what it is tho.
A shell of its former self, with its major titles in their thousandth iteration?

Kotick's a dick, and not enough of the gaming public know that. Maybe Black Ops should have an easter egg that explains just why Kotick is a dick.
They make the most money don't they? Hate him or Hate him, he made Activision #1 :p
Last I heard, Activision's contributions to Activision-Blizzard only accounted for about 25% of total earnings. Blizzard wears the daddy-pants in that relationship, and it's probably the only reason Kottick hasn't been able to implement all of the money gouging schemes he wants.

He's pushing for the hopeless future of mandatory subscription gaming; wherein the customer has absolutely no right to complain, and no say in "fair pricing" other than to never become involved in the first place.
The problem with that, is that any company that cannot afford to follow suit will inevitably crumble, further culling what little creativity remains in the market.

If competition breeds variety, then we can look forward to a very stale future indeed.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Atmos Duality said:
Last I heard, Activision's contributions to Activision-Blizzard only accounted for about 25% of total earnings. Blizzard wears the daddy-pants in that relationship, and it's probably the only reason Kottick hasn't been able to implement all of the money gouging schemes he wants.

He's pushing for the hopeless future of mandatory subscription gaming; wherein the customer has absolutely no right to complain, and no say in "fair pricing" other than to never become involved in the first place.
The problem with that, is that any company that cannot afford to follow suit will inevitably crumble, further culling what little creativity remains in the market.

If competition breeds variety, then we can look forward to a very stale future indeed.
if you make 75% of the revenue then congratulation whoever bought you had the bright idea. And since you make so much cash, they aren't stupid enough to tell you to change. but i wonder who wears the daddy-pants when SC2 comes in 3 installments, have No Lan feature, No Cross-regional play, one account per game, and guess what SUBSCRIPTION base in varying countries. Very Activision'esque no? (well aware Lan, Cross-regional will go in eventually, probably in the other installments, they have to have a reason to make u buy them don't they?)

Seems like Kotick and his cohort made the smart choice to me <.<

Can't disagree, if they implement their subscription base the only thing u can do is not buy it. But so long as there are ppl out there who can't do critical thinking, good luck trying to stop the Kotick Monster. :(

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
DTWolfwood said:
if you make 75% of the revenue then congratulation whoever bought you had the bright idea. And since you make so much cash, they aren't stupid enough to tell you to change. but i wonder who wears the daddy-pants when SC2 comes in 3 installments, have No Lan feature, No Cross-regional play, one account per game, and guess what SUBSCRIPTION base in varying countries. Very Activision'esque no? (well aware Lan, Cross-regional will go in eventually, probably in the other installments, they have to have a reason to make u buy them don't they?)

Seems like Kotick and his cohort made the smart choice to me <.<

Can't disagree, if they implement their subscription base the only thing u can do is not buy it. But so long as there are ppl out there who can't do critical thinking, good luck trying to stop the Kotick Monster. :(
Perhaps it was announcing the game 3 years too early, but I stopped paying attention to Starcraft 2 roughly 11 months ago. Which countries have subscription charges now? That's all new to me.

I already knew about the No-LAN and cross regional shenanigans (it's partly a legal issue, especially in China and Korea, check out how Diablo 2 and WoW were localized in those countries to see why this came to be.) and I do know that a Bnet 2 registration will be required, but I've heard of no mandatory subscription payments yet.

The "Starcraft 2 in three installments" problem doesn't bother me; I'm still getting the map editor and I can still play any of the three factions online.
Though I still can't shake the feeling that by involving myself with the game, that I'm dancing with the devil.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Atmos Duality said:
South America and Eastern Europe. there is a subscription base model in play. optional

forcing one username per account is something Activision would love. can bet you D3 is gonna only allow u to roll 1 character at a time and u pay something to get more player slots :p

either way Activision is #1 publisher and Kotick is the Head of it. Be he bad for game or bad for game, he knows how to make money. tho it only took him 20 years to hit the jackpot.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
DTWolfwood said:
Atmos Duality said:
South America and Eastern Europe. there is a subscription base model in play. optional

forcing one username per account is something Activision would love. can bet you D3 is gonna only allow u to roll 1 character at a time and u pay something to get more player slots :p

either way Activision is #1 publisher and Kotick is the Head of it. Be he bad for game or bad for game, he knows how to make money. tho it only took him 20 years to hit the jackpot.
He's only #1 via virtue of Blizzard, which is why I don't attribute Activision's financial success to him. Recall that it was their parent company, Vivendi Universal, that lined up their merger; Kottick is just a figurehead (in addition to being a weapons-grade-douchebag).

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Meh. Only a fraction of a fraction of core gamers will hear about this stuff anyway.

Kotick could molest a starcraft fangirl on youtube and it still wouldn't hurt activision sales.

The thing that matters is the games they make and what they charge for them. If there's a decline in gaming, then it can only be the fault of gamers who keep supporting the decline with their money (or choose not buy the better products instead).

The problem is always (other) gamers.