Activision Unveils New Call of Duty Online Service

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
VanBasten said:
While that is true, Kotick saying that "$1 billion in 40 days" CoD somehow doesn't have the money to implement such a thing for free is disingenuous at best.

Now I'm not saying that they shouldn't charge for it, every publisher wants to mooch out as much money out of their IP as possible, and a lot of people seem willing to pay for it so why shouldn't they charge, it's a free market, yay capitalism, and all that... but to play the "we'de go broke if you get this for free" card on CoD is insulting.
That's not actually what Kotick said. What he said was that it wouldn't be as good if it was a free service, which I think is a fair comment.
I don't know if I'd call it a fair comment as just an accurate one. As he'd put less effort into it if they were to offer it for free. The customer is not important, however the customer's money is.

MajorDolphin

Apr 26, 2011
Lame. Just get it over with and charge 5 bucks a month and hand out new maps every three months. Why are they beating around the bush? There is little point in creating another "pro" service that punishes anyone who buys a used copy (and devalues the game when bought new).

Go all in or quit this lameness.

(sorry, double post and I can't delete one)

MajorDolphin

Apr 26, 2011
TheRightToArmBears said:
You know, so long as the core online play is unaffected I don't really care. I won't get it, but I don't mind it being there.

In any case, cue lots of bitching in 3,2,1..
Two things will happen if they do offer maps to these subscription schmucks. One, you'll join a game and get booted the instant they change maps since you don't have that map. Two, you'll only get paired up with players who don't have the maps.

Map packs are notorious for splitting communities. In some games you don't really notice it but once the second map pack comes out or the third you'll start to see the impact.

koroem

Jul 12, 2010
If MW3 doesn't sell less than the last entry in the series then something is definitely wrong with the customer base.

EDIT : lol wtf kind of demonic foreshadowing is this?

sylekage

Dec 24, 2008
Interesting.

I'm not gonna pay any form of subscription fee for a game I go on multiplayer occasionally for.
As long as the actual stuff is free, whatever let em do what they want, If I have to actually pay for online now, then fuck that I'll wait until it drops down to 20 bucks in 3 years

Redratson

Jun 23, 2009
Dark Harbinger said:
And so The Empire Strikes Back.

Wait, why am I complaining? That will be keeping the COD kiddies off Battlefield 3!

All is forgiven Bobby.
So wait...if most, if not all, the kids and lone wolf people, who think they are 'one man armies', are goin to be on this and MW3.....that means BF3....will be....full of team play?.............*ponders then face of questinon turns into face of excitment*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-eZZb3Iirk
(more or less the air guitar part)

VanBasten

Aug 20, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
That's not actually what Kotick said. What he said was that it wouldn't be as good if it was a free service, which I think is a fair comment.
My point still stands, while yes, it wouldn't be as good if it was free(whatever that "it" is as we still don't know) that doesn't mean it couldn't be as good if it was free if Activision decided to lower their existing profit margins by just a slight bit.

So to say that money is the issue why they have to charge for it, as if their original intent was to create something that would be at no extra charge and not something that would further increase their profits, well, that is kinda BS.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
tghm1801 said:
vrbtny said:
tghm1801 said:
vrbtny said:
tghm1801 said:
Didn't Bungie do this for free?
So your comparing Bungie, the company which is probably the most in-touch and friendly with its community, to Activision? hoi hoi...

OT: Sounds a bit like a incentive not to pirate the game, but charging for it? Doesn't that destroy the whole point?
Considering your icon is a picture of Bobby Kotick saying 'Get him boys!' I get the impression that you feel negatively about Activision.
Yeah, you could say that. But who genuinely likes him? And, this guy's probably chosen the worst company to compare Activision to in this field. Who is the best developer to their fans? I think Bungie is probably one of the friendliest....
I think you misunderstood 'that guy' (me). I said, quite positively about Bungie, that they did what Activision is offering as a paid service for free.
Yeah, I got the positiveness towards bungie. It was off all the companies you could have suggested, Bungie are the company which will make Activision look the worst. Not many companies are as in touch with their fan-bas as Bungie.

Bobzer77

May 14, 2008
sravankb said:
Bobzer77 said:
"Call of Duty Elite"?

That's some original name generation right there.
At least it wasn't based on most CoD fans' GTs -

Call of Duty "xxx MLG l33t l3g1t sn1p3r bang ur m0m im a d0uch3 xxx"
No, that will be the premium on top of the standard sub when they decide they want to milk more money out of this.

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
As long as it dosent affect me when I want to play the odd game of deathmatch- I really dont care if the 'pro' CoD players want to pay for an elite service to keep them away from all the common rabble and all in one place where they can seriously circlejerk focus on their professional gaming.

I think a monthly rate is a bit much, though. Especially since Call of Duty already costs $60/year to play (trollololol)

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
VanBasten said:
Logan Westbrook said:
My point still stands, while yes, it wouldn't be as good if it was free(whatever that "it" is as we still don't know) that doesn't mean it couldn't be as good if it was free if Activision decided to lower their existing profit margins by just a slight bit.

So to say that money is the issue why they have to charge for it, as if their original intent was to create something that would be at no extra charge and not something that would further increase their profits, well, that is kinda BS.
You're making quite the assumptions there. You don't know how much the service will cost to run, so you can't make claims about how much it will or won't impact Activision's profit margins.

Besides, the subscription is an optional part of an optional service. It's a bizarre thing to get upset about.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Looks like activision's let's try to squeeze every dollar out of the people who already spent 60 dollars on our game department is working overtime. This is why I refuse to buy DLC maps. They should have been shipped with the game in the first place, they were just holding on to them to extract another 15$ from the people who buy them.

jbchillin

Sep 16, 2010
it's funny because people think that this is the only thing wrong with the CoD series. i think its fine. its like getting Bungie pro or what ever it was called that gave u more room in your file share. its not going to affect the normal game its just going to get bonuses to people who pay for it. it'll probably have yearly subscription cards u can buy at gamestop for like $20. i for one welcome it. i don't usually play cod but if i could pay a little extra to not get matched up with the prepubescent 12 year olds i will.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
Antari said:
Riff Moonraker said:
Bungie did this for all the Halo fans on their website (they still do) and it didnt cost us a penny. I have a feeling that this could come back and bite Activision square in the ass. (I hope it does) If it DOESNT, then prep yourselves to start seeing this happen with other games, too, and we will all suffer for it in the long run.
Yes so if you see any of your friends even remotely considering getting this new COD. Find the nearest large blunt object and beat them about the head with it.
Hahahahaha...

etherlance

Apr 1, 2009
as long as there are a few decent maps I can play without having to subscribe to this.....I really don't care and won't buy it.

VanBasten

Aug 20, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
You're making quite the assumptions there. You don't know how much the service will cost to run, so you can't make claims about how much it will or won't impact Activision's profit margins.
I'm making an assumption that they made this to make even more money of an already extremely popular and profitable game. I really don't think that's an unreasonable assumption.

The fact that it will be free but with optional stuff tells me the infrastructure for it is probably not that costly to support the majority of non paying members, and that the optional stuff will probably be easily and cheaply produced stuff(reskins, customizations, maybe an odd map or item here and there, early access and such) that guarantee huge returns of investments.

I'm basing this on general trends in the industry, and I don't think I'm far off on those assumptions.

Logan Westbrook said:
Besides, the subscription is an optional part of an optional service. It's a bizarre thing to get upset about.
As I've said before, that's all fine by me, charge away I say, just don't present it as if you don't really want to charge for it but must due to an unfortunate lack of money...