Activision's GoldenEye 007 Remake Eyeing Up 3DS

thevikktor

Mar 30, 2009
What I had heard was that they lost the rights to Pierce Brosnan's image, so legally, they HAD to use Daniel Craig as Bond in this game.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
It would be interesting to see how they fit all of Goldeneye onto a 2GB card, but I'd rather have them just focus on the Wii version. Oh, and to make things a bit clearer with a few problems that some of you are having:

"No Pierce Bronson?!": The reason that Activision had to put Daniel Craig in the shoes of 007 is because they would have gone through licensing issues if they wanted to have Pierce Bronson as the game's Bond.

"Why doesn't Nintendo let Rare remake the game instead of Activision?": This is mostly because Rare is now owned by Microsoft instead of Nintendo. And besides, what good would Rare do compared to Activision? Most of the old Rare employees that worked on Goldeneye aren't at the company anymore, so having them work on it wouldn't suddenly improve the quality of the game.

"This game will die a horrible death because it's made by Activision.": Either (A): you just hate Activision because you do, or (B): you're just jealous because your console of choice won't be getting it. Am I right? =P It's Okay to be optimistic about video games, people. Most times it's not gonna get you killed.

10BIT

Sep 14, 2008
chemicalreaper said:
But why the Wii of all consoles? It has the weakest graphics, the weakest capabilities...
...the largest install base, the least competition, these were the main points stated by Activision for why they chose to develop for the Wii.

and there's no possible way it could work with motion controllers (remember Call of Duty 3 and Splinter Cell: Double Agent and how awful aiming was with a Wiimote?).
Strange, I played those games and remember thinking how great aiming with a Wiimote was in those games. Hell, I found the Conduit to have the best controls of any FPS ever (shame that the controls and the graphics were the only things worthy of note in that game). I find it so odd that a console designed so well for shooters has a dearth of FPSs for it.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Mutie said:
That looks abhorant... The graphics are about 2% better that the N64 version and, considering that Goldeneye was the last proper Bond film, doesn't it strike you as a little revolting to see a crappy polygon Daniel Craig pissing about?
I agree. Why make a remake on such an inferior console? It's like taking a PS1 game and porting it to the PS2, whoop, big fucking deal. They're allienating a large chunk of this game's fan base by making it Wii exclusive. Do all the happy arm waving Wii families want to play this together? No, the Xbox 360 and PS3 FPS players want to play this, in glorious HD damnit!

If it's anything like the Silent Hill: Shattered memories reimagining, it's not even worth making it.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
10BIT said:
chemicalreaper said:
But why the Wii of all consoles? It has the weakest graphics, the weakest capabilities...
...the largest install base, the least competition, these were the main points stated by Activision for why they chose to develop for the Wii.
Not to mention that it wouldn't be as nostalgic as it is on a non-Nintendo console since the original was on the N64.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
I can name all the things wrong with this game. One: NO PIERCE BROSNAN!

Two: Not made by Rare, it was because of them it was so good!! (and remember it was a movie game too! THEY MADE A AMAZING GAME BASED OFF A MOVIE! THATS NEAR IMPOSSIBLE!)

Three: I'd rather just set up my old N64 and pop Goldeneye in.

Four: They better have EVRYTHING from the original, the ridiculous amount of characters in multiplayer....OFFLINE MULTIPLAYER, uuuummmm all the same multiplayer levels and secret areas IN said levels, all the same cheats, CHEATS IN GENERAL (and cheats you can actually achieve by beating the game just like the original) and the glitches, does anyone remember four faced guy? From the snow bunker level? (above ground)

Five: Now I;m wondering, are they gonna put Natalya Fyodorovna Simonova in this if its Daniel Craig as Bond?

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Not G. Ivingname said:
10BIT said:
chemicalreaper said:
Not to mention that it wouldn't be as nostalgic as it is on a non-Nintendo console since the original was on the N64.
It still wont be as nostalgic cause they screwed so many things up, plus its on the Wii, no nostalgia there

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
chemicalreaper said:
and there's no possible way it could work with motion controllers (remember Call of Duty 3 and Splinter Cell: Double Agent and how awful aiming was with a Wiimote?).
I'm not following this remake very closely... i did enjoy the original, I'll probably get this, maybe I'll enjoy it too.
I haven't played the two games you listed. I have played Redsteel and Resident Evil 4, and I found aiming to be quite fun. It worked fairly well in both of them, so I guess it comes down to preference.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Well, heres hoping its actually somewhat good. It's freaking Goldeneye! If they fuck this up, then many many many MANY people will be greatly pissed off.

Also, in other news, watch this Exclusive Gameplay footage from the remake! *shifty eyes*:

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
chemicalreaper said:
brunothepig said:
I'm not following this remake very closely... i did enjoy the original, I'll probably get this, maybe I'll enjoy it too.
I haven't played the two games you listed. I have played Redsteel and Resident Evil 4, and I found aiming to be quite fun. It worked fairly well in both of them, so I guess it comes down to preference.
I suppose it does come down to preference. I hate the Wiimote, I think it's awful -- but that's probably because I've been playing shooters on the Xbox 360 for the past four years. Therefore, using anything other than analog sticks to aim feels unnatural to me.
Well, I'll pick mouse over anything else. I've barely played the 360, but I can play well enough on PS2 and PS3. I think the wiimote aiming is fun, but mouse is where I'm at home...

Georgie_Leech

Nov 10, 2009
What's this? 4-player Split Screen? I thought that had died out years ago. I am officially sold on this.