Adjusting Battlefield 3's Brightness Could Get You Banned

halobolola

Mar 3, 2011
I was planning on buying dlc, after i changed my files, and saw that the game went back to looking like the alpha, which i enjoyed.

Still, if i cant, then i wont play, or buy dlc.

If they didnt port their game, and have client side hit reg, then people wouldn't be able to mod the weapon handling.

Theminimanx

Positively Insane
Mar 14, 2011
Contrasting colors in my bro shooter? We can't have that!
I'm suddenly reminded of Shamus' post about the art in Spec Ops: The Line. [http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=16769] I think it's quite appropriate.

Karathos

May 10, 2009
Terms of service forbid file modification.
Players agree with Terms of service.
Players modify files.
Players get banned.
Players whine about how unfair it is

Did I leave out a part by accident, or is this seriously the extent of the situation? Because if so - well, y'know, welcome to the world. If you agree on something and then break that agreement, you might just have some backlash. Hard to believe, I know.

elilupe

Jun 1, 2009
DICE, I used to like you. One should never say it's "to colorful" for their game when the thing they are talking about makes the game looks more beautiful.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Greens and Blues in my brown and grey shooter?, what travesty is this!??

[small](actually, I don't play BF3 and I'm not interested on it)[/small]

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Oh come on now, who really wants color in their shooter? The only colors I want to see in my modern war shooters are dirt-brown, washed out greens and, browns and, gun-metal grey with some bloom. Not to mention all of the rusty red blood![/sarcasm]

Seriously though, this whole situation just sounds ridiculous. Maybe Digital Illusions will make Battlefield 3 version 2.0 more colorful or what's more likely to happen, they'll take out color as a form of punishment.

Snowblindblitz

Apr 30, 2011
I was just happy they had a color blind option in the games. Helps me out a ton, before I found it, everything was just a blur.

I believe that to be relevant.

Also, captcha, I don't care about Kellogg's Crunchy Nut. Stop making me say "It's Super Delicious." Even sounds pervy when I type it out.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
Does it give people an unfair advantage by taking away glare or dust or anything super drastic? If no, then it shouldn't be banned. It is a pretty game that people want to make prettier. What is wrong with that.

Studsmack

Sep 28, 2012
Ten bucks says HD Realism DLC pack in-bound for Battlefield 3 that removes the blue filter!

In all seriousness, though, I will admit that it is possible for people with the mod to have either an advantage or disadvantage with the alterations to the visuals - especially in terms of camouflage. But to blatantly label them "cheaters" when they just want to tailor the game to their own preference?

I'll say, so long as those with modded visuals compete against those with modded visuals - I don't see the problem. But I can assume that's not the case? (I don't play BF3).

SuperSuperSuperGuy

Jun 19, 2010
So, I would get banned because I want my game to not look horrible? I think that turning the colour filter off should be an in-game option. One less thing my computer has to render, y'know? While it kind of makes sense, because those with the mod would see better than those without, this kind of lashing out is excessive. They should take the hint and allow players to turn off the colour filter without editing the game files.

In any case, I'm sticking with TF2, thanks. I'd prefer a game whose developers actively encourage modding, and if you don't like it you can join servers that turn off client-side mods.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
We bought an EA game and didn't expect to be screwed? Stuff like this happens every other week -_- It's just refreshing to see that DICE is just as bad at customer service, and communication as EA is.

supersupersuperguy said:
So, I would get banned because I want my game to not look horrible?
They're probably about to release a HD pack with realism features.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Well fuck me for wanting my game to look better.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Installing a mod which gives you an advantage in a competitive online game is regarded as cheating?

Well blow me down with a feather!

sluggyfreelancer

Apr 16, 2009
Can they not just get rid of the blue filter as a default? Some maps look absolutely shit with it. Sienne Crossing and Death Valley instantly come to mind. It's like they wanted the game to be set under water.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
ThriKreen said:
Honestly this is no different than Valve games where the server has sv_pure and secure enabled, which disables client side mods and enables VAC.

Don't want to play with the stock content and settings? Then don't play on pure/ranked/secure/PB enabled servers. Or in tournaments. Goes for BF3, CS and TF2.

Just don't say EA/DICE sucks and Valve is great when they support the exact same policy.
True, but modding your TF2 files won't inherently result in an account perma-ban. The same can not be said for modding Battlefield 3.

Plus, sv_pure and sv_pure2 are optional server settings. Not so with BF3, unless you're running your own 3rd party server. But even then, the ToS all-but bars you from modding your BF3 files.