Adoptive Parents Call Portal 2 Jokes Offensive to Orphans

antipope

Jun 7, 2010
Any one else wonder what it did to the kid when the dad freaked out that bad. My thought would be if there is nothing wrong with being adopted why are you freaking out. How did this not come up before its not like its a taboo subject, yes it might be the first time it was used as an insult in her hearing but still come on how would they even have given a warning about the joke without offending him.

Roland07

Apr 2, 2010
]Stapel is aware that it isn't really going to rile up most people who play the game, saying "If you're not an adoptive parent it's probably not that big a deal to you." He also said that he and his daughter actually really liked the game and will continue playing it, making sure to avoid the part they take offense to.
This is the most telling part to me. "...if your not an adoptive parent." His daughter will even continue to play the game, she's apparently not so bothered, but he, as the parent of an adopted child, was offended enough to get on a soapbox about it. Obviously, I can't just an individual based on a few news quotes, but its like this person thought there daughter was too cool and calm, so they decided to be offended for them.

twm1709

Nov 19, 2009
I guess when videogames are concerned, people WILL find offensive content in anything. I'm surprised people haven't complained that Mario games are offensive to turtles.

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
He has every right to think that a joke is inappropriate, but why he felt the need to go complain about it to the local news I have no idea.

blackdwarf

Jun 7, 2010
for the fact that he being offended, cry me a river. for the fact that he isn't going to sue valve, atleast he is realistic.

archabaddon

Jan 8, 2007
It's OK, I think every-sensitive, overly PC nancies are offensive to my sensibilities as a critical thinker.

Seriously, I think I can decide for myself on the line between humor and serious discourse; Portal 2 certainly doesn't smack of the latter.

bram961

Jan 28, 2011
guys really i hear all this comments here about the guy being stupid doing this, but isnt it ok to note to the makers of a game that it might be offensive to some people.
thats called feedback and its a very important part of game making,
and well in this case i do think that from the viewpoint of the guy and the girl this might have bein offending. no big deal if people speak about their feelings right???
Torrasque said:
I can just see it now. The parents complain to their local news outlet about how Portal is the devil, and should be rated M, and the local news outlet laughs hysterically and posts this crap because its so sad.

And seriously, if she's 10 and you haven't talked about the fact that she is adopted, then you have a problem on your hands.
Every person I have ever known that is adopted, got sat down for "the talk" before grade three. You don't want to pop that question when a kid is dealing with adolescent hormones. THAT would fuck alot of shit up.
and to this one
1 the parents didnt say portal is the devil they just said that they got a bit offended by the orphan jokes and even said the game itself was pretty good

2 its their dicision whether or not to talk about the fact that she is adopted

now guys plz just let people speak about their feelings and dont make a big deal about it because what i hear in this post is them making a small deal about portal 2 having orphan jokes just saying what they think about it and then all these replies making an awefully overexagarated big deal about it

and btw this guy is ok people he just notes somthing he feels bad about others would immidiatly take this thing to court or somthing and sue valve

AWDMANOUT

Jan 4, 2010
There are those among us who might be a little too sensitive.

But hey, maybe those insults were designed specifically for the little Chinese girl. They are from a rogue AI bent on murder after all.

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
It probably wasn't that line in particular, it was probably the bit where GLados says "At least now science has legitamised your birth parents decision to abandon you on a doorstep" or the countless parts where the computer tricks you into thinking your parents are in the next room ect. I am not saying their complaints make sense, because they don't I mean why should a video game hold back where other mediums don't?

Kraj

Jan 21, 2008
... Shut up adoptive parents, get over yourselves...
I'm adopted. I loved it. I have a friend whose adopted, she loves it.
Were we offended? No.
Maybe the reason an adopted kid would be offended, is if his/her parents were fragile
and egocentric enough to take offense to something like this, and it rubbed off on them.

disgusting.

DEATHROAD

May 14, 2008
This is petty, so very petty, so in the interest of pettiness, Its a 12 rated game and hes letting a 10 year old play it!

joinchoir

meme meme meme
Apr 4, 2010
Context is important. When you are playing a game where the nemesis hurls bombs and neurotoxin at you, receiving a couple of insults is par for the course.

v3n0mat3

Jul 30, 2008
I can see why he is offended. I don't agree with it, personally, but some people find offense in everything. Nothing we can do about that. This time, I can sort of agree with it in a way ("You ARE adopted, and that's TERRIBLE" can be taken as a hurtful statement. Yes, I know why she said it, but that's not the point).

I don't agree with it because the joke wasn't to be directed at you, the player. If she said something like "Hey fatty sitting in the chair, YOU are adopted, and that's TERRIBLE", then it would be definitely offensive because she's directing it (and in an insulting manner) at the player.

The man simply took the joke out of context due to his adoptive parent status. Hell, it's nothing new.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
1. Oh no, someone offended him! STOP THE PRESSES!!! Okay, start the presses!
2. Didn't, like someone just explained, GlaDOS say "what is exactly wrong with being adopted?", like, 10 seconds later?
3. Better tell all the Irish people to stop playing Team Fortress 2 before they notice any Irish jokes. Also poor people who hate the Irish. Also poor AND Irish people. Also people without hats who hate poor or Irish.

mexicola

Feb 10, 2010
Is she fat too? In which case the game must be picking on her it's too much of a coincidence.

Moses Wolfenstein

Dec 6, 2010
A few other folks have pointed this out, but it's worth emphasizing that Stapel's "literally the worst thing" comment was in the context of playing an E rated game with his kid. It strikes me as a little hyperbolic, but doesn't really warrant the comparisons some people are making here. Speaking of hyperbole, the level of anger some people are expressing in this thread is a little over the top given the content of the article. It's not like the guy is suing Valve or anything.

Timmey

May 29, 2010
Parentally-challenged, this I found hilarious.

Otherwise I fail to see an issue here, in almost every game someone will get upset about something. For instance Russians being upset about being the bad guys in a FPS or Germans for always being portrayed as Nazis. Its almost impossible not to offend someone now a days, they just need to get over it.

dunnace

Oct 10, 2008
To everybody slagging the people in the article off, they know that they are being kinda unreasonable, they just say "we weren't expecting it, and there's not a lot we can do about it I guess". They even like the game, and say it was good fun. So in what might be the final tipping point of the argument, you have become the reactionary base of people you always used to loathe. Well Done.