Adoptive Parents Call Portal 2 Jokes Offensive to Orphans

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
Really, people even complain about a game like Portal?
I'm 99.99999% sure that she wouldn't really have noticed it, if her father hadn't made such a fuss about it. He's clearly overreacting because he's a parent. Also, that part is taken out of context to make it look worse.
All in all, just a butthurt father who wants attention.

Carole Vaudry

May 18, 2011
Ok, you'll note that the little girl is Chinese. I don't know if it means if she is of Chinese descent or actually from China. If the latter, in the outrage category, I'd like to offer this: http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2011/05/15/china-stolen-babies.html

Now, I am NOT saying this outraged dad is in this particular case. Just to point out that on the subject of adoption, there are far more worthy combats to fight.

Birthe

Apr 26, 2010
Some people are offended by everything. It's as if I was offended everytime they use germans as a villian in something that takes place in the 2nd worldwar.

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
jackpipsam said:
I remember that quote, I also remember that a second later it got a replay "and... is there anything wrong with that?"
And a second later, GlaDOS said "Actually, that IS terrible but play along"

Yeah, I have to agree with them. Geez, it's not like they said the game was the worst thing ever and should be discontinued. They even liked the rest of the game. But I think the adopted jokes were handled distastefully... One or two was fine, but a bunch of 'em was stupid.

MajorDolphin

Apr 26, 2011
You know... I'd expect a bunch of fat kids sharing a console in some dark room of an orphanage to get upset over this type of thing but I don't expect some lucky child whose found a loving family to get butt hurt over some dialog in a game. Perhaps the parents shouldn't shelter their daughter so much. That will only lead to much larger problems than a tiny tear over a video game.

wall5970

Mar 11, 2010
1. If they think Portal 2 is poking fun at THEIR child, they think they're much more important than they are.
2. It's a game with dark, dark, dark, pitch black humor. It's going to offend people.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Aurgelmir said:
Good lord the sensitivity on some people.

I mean this is a work of fiction, besides the computer is trying to mess with the characters brain using quite poor insults.

And as for the guy raving about how the game shouldn't have such "insults" in the first place since it was an E game... well the developers dont RATE the games, the rating comes afterwards.

If he was offended he should contact ESBR and have them become even more "sensitive"
This.

I can't believe the mountainous levels of stupid some people exhibit. Valve ain't responsible this time.

TheSteeleStrap

May 7, 2008
People just need to calm down and not stir up a fuss just because they love the sound of their own voice. You don't have a constitutional right to never be offended. (I knew this was an American before I read it in detail because it's idiotic. Is it bad that I have so little faith in the people I'm forced to share a country with?)

Nate Corran

Dec 26, 2009
Don't like it, don't play it. Grow the hell up people. Its idiots like you who make America look like a bunch of oversensative pricks.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
Is this guy high? He seriously thought got offended over something a fictional character said? What's next he gets made over a piece of wallpaper the starts to peel in his daughters room?

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
I hope they are still playing, 'cos later in the game they'll come across...

The instance when Wheatley has control of the facility and berating Chell for being an over-weight orphan, at which point Glados chimes in with 'What's wrong with being an orphan? And look at her moron, there's not an ounce of fat on her!'

And realise that maybe the joke in question wasn't as offensive and ill-concieved as they imagned.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure from an orphans perspective, it's not as funny, as I'd imagine the massive amounts of tumour jokes weren't funny for anyone who's had them.

But at the end of the day, they're not being vindictive with it.

Valve didn't just decide one day that they should market a game that actively pokes fun at orphans...

Lighten up.

Blondi3

Sep 12, 2008
brunothepig said:
It's just GLaDOS trying to confuse Wheatley and all that. Also just to poke fun at him.
But as I said on the earlier thread, there will always be someone who is offended by comedy.
"I'm outraged, I'm gonna write a shit letter to a bad newspaper." - Tim Minchin
I feel like those two have a lot of experience dealing with this.
Oh man, I was about to post this! Kudos on the awesomeness!

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Archemetis said:
I hope they are still playing, 'cos later in the game they'll come across...

The instance when Wheatley has control of the facility and berating Chell for being an over-weight orphan, at which point Glados chimes in with 'What's wrong with being an orphan? And look at her moron, there's not an ounce of fat on her!'

And realise that maybe the joke in question wasn't as offensive and ill-concieved as they imagned.
Did you perhaps read the article? That's the part that the dad is throwing a shit-fit over. Plus, you forget that GLaDOS also says "For the record, you are adopted, and that's terrible." during that same part, so I don't see why you'd think it would make this oversensitive dad feel any better.

And he is oversensitive. Especially considering that his daughter isn't bothered by the joke. In his own words, she didn't even hear it.

Killertje

Dec 12, 2010
SteelStallion said:
Responses here are so typical, you're all gamers that aggressively defend video games to the death. I don't even need to click the comments anymore to know what responses are going to be like.

While it's true that there's nothing really offensive in it save for a few people, I understand that the dad was shocked to hear the remark out of the blue. He didn't say he was hiding it from his daughter, he said it just never came up. He was waiting for an opportune time to sit down and have a talk about her being adopted.

That's why it probably came to such an offensive shock, because now they're going to have to tackle the issue right away since shes heard that, rather than wait for whatever time they might have felt appropriate.
Since it came up, it would be appropriate. Thanks to a videogame they could finally talk about it. Yay for games!

bram961

Jan 28, 2011
Aurgelmir said:
Good lord the sensitivity on some people.

I mean this is a work of fiction, besides the computer is trying to mess with the characters brain using quite poor insults.

And as for the guy raving about how the game shouldn't have such "insults" in the first place since it was an E game... well the developers dont RATE the games, the rating comes afterwards.

If he was offended he should contact ESBR and have them become even more "sensitive"
hes not over reacting or being sensitive he just says somthing he didnt like off a game like i said before feedback people its important

second who is sensitive here
the guy who said somthing in a game was inapropriate or
about 216 people replieing saying hes bad because of saying somthing is inapropriate in a game
guys what do we stand for these days
we should stand for human rights of free speech but now we are standing here defending a game/a bunch of 0's and 1's

good the game makers had the right of free speech to say somthing about orphans but the people taking it offensive have the same rights and thus they can tell their feelings on the news if they wish

now stop bragging about him being bad PLZ and make this thread somthing we should care about

secondly why you guys should stop bragging about him there are 200 people before you you made your point ok

kayisking

Sep 14, 2010
I love how the quote they used to show how offensive it is is in fact the anwser to GlAdOs' question of why it is so bad to have no parents. IT WAS SARCASTIC! For god sake, use your brain.

GlAdOs: Why is it so bad to be an orphan?
Wheatley: Uhm... The no parent part?

How anybody can ever take something like that serious is beyond me.

Stickill

Jan 1, 2010
Ugh, this just goes too far. I am in favor of a little bit of right to get upset about this kind of things, but taking legal steps for a joke in what is essentially a very humorous game is idiotic.