Adoptive Parents Call Portal 2 Jokes Offensive to Orphans

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Player Two said:
I cannot believe this. Can you actually make humour - proper humour - that does not, somewhere, offend somebody? And why is it that one family, and one orphan, are upset over a few lines of dialogue in a freaking video game? What on earth is going to happen if he sends her to school?

Oh, so I guess Pokemon is 'E' for everybody except people who think that putting animals in cages is cruel. And Minecraft is 'E' for everybody except people who are easily reminded of the suicide bomber that killed their friend/relative/etc. Mario Kart is 'E' for everybody except people who became paraplegics in go-karting accidents.

Come to think of this, how did it even make the news?
You forgot to mention that they didn't even stop playing the game! So how offended
were they really? If they thought they had to get it on the news then why didn't they also
get rid of the game? Also as they said they have the AI state that there is nothing wrong
with being adopted, so WTF!

danirax

Jan 11, 2011
wired I dont remember that portal 2 had any jokes about being adopted 0.0
bet there was about being abandoned child...

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
mjc0961 said:
Archemetis said:
I hope they are still playing, 'cos later in the game they'll come across...

The instance when Wheatley has control of the facility and berating Chell for being an over-weight orphan, at which point Glados chimes in with 'What's wrong with being an orphan? And look at her moron, there's not an ounce of fat on her!'

And realise that maybe the joke in question wasn't as offensive and ill-concieved as they imagned.
Did you perhaps read the article? That's the part that the dad is throwing a shit-fit over. Plus, you forget that GLaDOS also says "For the record, you are adopted, and that's terrible." during that same part, so I don't see why you'd think it would make this oversensitive dad feel any better.

And he is oversensitive. Especially considering that his daughter isn't bothered by the joke. In his own words, she didn't even hear it.
I read the article thanks,

Honestly, I thought he was offended by something Glados says in a earlier part of the game, because to be honest, the part in question is not offensive.

If anything I'd consider that the redeeming part. The point where Glados realises in some small way that being an orphan isn't soemthing to make fun of and that maybe the fat jokes were a little immature on her part.

Perosnally, if I were in this guys position the only part I'd mildly take offense to is the 'I have a surprise for you, your parents aren't here, I made them up.'

Or maybe even the 'you're a horrible person, at least that validates your birth mothers decision to abandon you on a doorstep'

Or hell maybe even the 'I'll just ring your parents shall I' 'the birth parents you called do not love you.' part.

And with those shining examples, can anybody honestly blame me for thinking that was what he had a problem with?

Certainly would make more sense than getting offended by Wheatley's attmpts.

HydraMoon

From high atop the treehouse
May 3, 2011
I can see how that would throw the father for a loop. Perhaps I would have handled the situation differently but I can see where he's coming from.

Hopefully this turns into 'Video Games Convinced Me To Talk With My Kid About An Important Issue' and all turned out well.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Lukeje said:
God forbid he ever sends his child to school if taunting like that is likely to affect her...
Well, indeedie - add to that, the 'e-bully' NPC in question is almost immendiately shown to be stupid, it just seems like attention grabbing.

FarleShadow

Oct 31, 2008
I remember seeing one video where this parent absolutely loved a controversial comedy show until its new show was called 'Rise of the Celebretards' and he demanded the show be closed because his daughter had mental problems. So, ok with making fun of jews, blacks, hispanics whites, chinese, etc etc but HOLD THE GODDAMN PHONE, MAKING FUN OF SOMETHING I CARE ABOUT?! LYNCH THEM ALL!

Thanks American Media outlets.

FFKonoko

Nov 26, 2009
My first thought was "If you ARE an adoptive parent it's probably not that big a deal to you."

But then I started reading the comments and thought...wow, there is a few people with a lack of self-awareness. People complaining about people being soft-skinned and over-sensitive while reacting like the guy is starting a vast crusade to pull portal 2 from the shelves?
He's not even suing anyone. He's not even stopped playing the game. He pretty much just said "huh, that one little bit was kinda awkward for us and could be awkward for other young orphaned children to hear, its cool though, we still love the game.".
Its not a big deal...and I mean that on BOTH levels.

LadyMint

Apr 22, 2010
Isn't that quote
one of Wheatley's pathetic attempts to make you feel bad for not solving his puzzles after he takes over the facility?

If so, that is really far into the game to get insulted. GLaDOS had far more biting and intelligent things to say early on and they all just made me roll my eyes. In truth, all of the insults in this game, no matter what character they're coming from, come off as childish and lame. Like something an elementary school bully would yell for lack of anything clever to say in response to the class smart kid spelling a difficult word. The tone, along with the context, prettymuch takes the sting out of the insult. And the fact that the dad says he's going to continue playing the game takes the power out of his complaint, in my humble opinion.

Just on initial glance of the article, it seems to me that he's more upset that the game brought the topic of adoption forward before he was ready to talk about it with his adopted daughter. Personally, I have to wonder why someone who doesn't want their child to feel bad about being adopted, wouldn't be up front with them about the situation. My community has several people who adopt children from overseas, and they make it a point to let them know that it's nothing to be ashamed of; if anything, it's something to be happy about because they've been brought to a place where they will have opportunities they might not have under other circumstances. I think him sweeping the idea under a rug of insecurity is far more damaging than hearing a quick quip from a video game.

DigitalAtlas

Mar 31, 2011
Sounds like this man needs to get his panties out of a bunch.

So what if his daughter is adopted? Guess what, it's a game. It's not a bunch of bullies at high-school. It is literally just comedy. Next, he is forced to complain about cartoons where one kid says to the other 'Yeah, well, you're adopted!' because that's clearly insulting to adopted kids too, right? No, it's just stupid comedy. Being an adult means you can see it as comedy and realize there really is nothing wrong with being adopted. Or fat. Or short. Or tall. Or skinny. Or any combination of the aforementioned. But there is a big problem with being stupid, Mr. father.

Furthermore, if having the topic brought into your living room is the issue, why didn't you do it before hand? Why did you choose to acknowledge the topic instead of just ignoring it and waiting for later? Why not instead of being a hypocrite, you treat the topic as something trite, let it out, and move on with your life? Heck, even GLaDOS was on your side saying "There is nothing wrong with being adopted."

/end thread.

CRRPGMykael

Mar 6, 2011
spoiler alert:

actually glados then gets kind of on ur side(while wheatley becomes more of ur enemy),wheatley mentions that ure adopted and fat(to copy glados' style of work because he wasnt getting enough satisfaction from watching you get through the test chambers) and glados says "so?theres nothing wrong with being adopted and she isnt fat"

parents like these are RETARDS

Dense_Electric

Jul 29, 2009
Holy fucking shit, people will get their panties in a bunch over anything and fucking everything, you know that? Yeah, let's just censor everything that could ever possibly be taken as offensive in any way by anyone ever. Oh, what's that? Oh, okay, only that which might offend you. Ah, okay, I gotcha. What? Oh, no, it's my fault really, I didn't realize you were the Lord Jesus Chirst. Get the hell over yourself, will you? I really want to shoot this guy.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
you know if a movie did this nobody would care but if its a game then its suddenly .literally the worst thing I could have probably heard. but what realy realy annoys me is this. It throws the question, the most ultimate question that that child is ever gonna have for you the open by a videogame was jarring, to say the least.you yust know that if this was said in a movie or a book she woulden give a danm.its comedy comedy can be harsh if i were adopted i would find her taunting funny because she seems so desperate to offend you but whatever.

ArmorArmadillo

Mar 31, 2010
BrunDeign said:
Thedek said:
GROW THE FUCK UP!!!

Sorry but I'm so mother fucking sick of these mother fuckers constantly going out of their way to get offended by every little mother fucking thing.

Fuck me sideways ,running down a hill, with a dynamite dildo, with the fuse lit!

I am so damned sick of whiny butthurt idiots!
And I'm sick of people who can't have a civilized conversation about a man who could be honestly offended by a statement in a game.

And to the people who think it's silly to be offended by something said in a game I have to ask, why is it silly? Why can we be offended by thing in other forms of media but not in a game?
+1

This isn't some guy saying that we need to turn back the tide of violence and sex and make everything puritan, he was raising a legitimate issue. Yes, it might be very difficult for an adopted child if everyone's favorite game is one making fun of orphans.

Are there defenses for Portal 2? YES! Tons! 1. The AI is clearly the villain. 2. GLaDOS challenges the joke later when Wheatley tries to copy it. 3. This comes across as GLaDOS trying to mimic human behavior with awkward attempts at human psychology.

What isn't a defense for Portal 2? "DUDE SHUT UP GROW UP YOU SUCK BEING OFFENDED IS DUMB"

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
Well I understand the parents are offended, but I wonder if the kid even gives a shit. Probably not.

eggmiester

Mar 10, 2011
Player Two said:
I cannot believe this. Can you actually make humour - proper humour - that does not, somewhere, offend somebody? And why is it that one family, and one orphan, are upset over a few lines of dialogue in a freaking video game? What on earth is going to happen if he sends her to school?

Oh, so I guess Pokemon is 'E' for everybody except people who think that putting animals in cages is cruel. And Minecraft is 'E' for everybody except people who are easily reminded of the suicide bomber that killed their friend/relative/etc. Mario Kart is 'E' for everybody except people who became paraplegics in go-karting accidents.

Come to think of this, how did it even make the news?
ah come on man, that's not fair.i agree that valve would never mean it to be insulting to orphans, but who are you to say how that kid should react?

i know it's meant as a joke, but i feel the same way about orphan jokes as i do about suicide jokes. even if they're funny, it's very easy for someone who lost a friend to suicide to take offense, or get upset. it actually surprises me how much everyone on here is giving out about it.

MrHero17

Jul 11, 2008
This thread actually pissed me off enough that I bothered to log in while at school so I could say something.

Let's contrast this reply(you're an example, I'm not singling you out)

Dense_Electric said:
I really want to shoot this guy.
and let's consider it under the light of this quote from the article "He also said that he and his daughter actually really liked the game and will continue playing it, making sure to avoid the part they take offense to."

It seems a good number of my fellow escapist members either didn't fully read the article or they just fucking read it wrong. Someone mentioning that they were offended or bothered by something and wanting to talk to the developers about it it is not the same thign as calling for censorship and bannings, which seems pretty obvious to me but has obviously flown over some individuals heads.

Crispee

Nov 18, 2009
I understand why the girls parents would be upset by it if it was clearly an elephant in the room for them. I'm only annoyed that the girl's father felt the need to tell a news station about it, because if he can talk about it on the news then he can certainly talk to it with his daughter who must surely have seen it.

Lordmurdalot

Dec 11, 2010
Thedek said:
GROW THE FUCK UP!!!

Sorry but I'm so mother fucking sick of these mother fuckers constantly going out of their way to get offended by every little mother fucking thing.

Fuck me sideways ,running down a hill, with a dynamite dildo, with the fuse lit!

I am so damned sick of whiny butthurt idiots!
Im loling so hard XD i've got to make a not of that one roflmao

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
This is dumb. When I get offended by stuff, I don't call the freaking news and get stories published about me. I don't get reporters to ask for statements from the offender. I get over it because that life and I learned long ago to suck it up and move on. What's worse is what this teaches to the daughter: "If you don't like something, honey, turn it into a media frenzy or at least try."