Adoptive Parents Call Portal 2 Jokes Offensive to Orphans

Korak the Mad

Nov 19, 2010
There will always be controversy of the content in games. You can't please everyone you know, there will always be that person who will take offense to a peice of content and blow it out of proportion.

Just like Fox news.

Nickompoop

Jan 23, 2011
Did you see where this happened? North Carolina, part of the American South, which is a huge pit of ignorance, stupidity, intolerance, and alarmist horsecrap.

Ah, Americans. What a wonderful people you are.

But seriously, the parents need to back off. They may just be doing this for the publicity anyways. BTW, I'm American.

TheRealCJ

Mar 28, 2009
Neogeta said:
TheRealCJ said:
SteelStallion said:
Responses here are so typical, you're all gamers that aggressively defend video games to the death. I don't even need to click the comments anymore to know what responses are going to be like.

While it's true that there's nothing really offensive in it save for a few people, I understand that the dad was shocked to hear the remark out of the blue. He didn't say he was hiding it from his daughter, he said it just never came up. He was waiting for an opportune time to sit down and have a talk about her being adopted.

That's why it probably came to such an offensive shock, because now they're going to have to tackle the issue right away since shes heard that, rather than wait for whatever time they might have felt appropriate.
Finally someone who agrees with me.

Most of the gamers on this site are a bunch of knee-jerkers who are too busy being outraged that they can't even attempt to see (or, more likely, outright refuse to see) the opposing parties' point-of-view.

Gee, when I put it like that, gamers seem just as bad as the people they're raging against. Significantly worse, if you consider that most arguments here boils down to "you're not a gamer, shut up."

HAHAHA "when I put it like that"!!!

Yeah when you put it like lies anything can seem like anything!

Just like a insult about being fat and dumb and thus unloved and undeserving of love is some how offensive to someone with two parents who love them...

Oh here's a shock, what if she is fat, but her parents were waiting to talk to her about her fatness until it came up, but then the whole "Santa" thing came up and now they are outraged that a fat old man would force them to talk to their kid!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHH Someone alert the press! ! Interview Jesus, how could he allow a fat old man to take over his day!!!
Wow, you replied to my post with a whole bunch of single minded reactionary bullshit! I completely take back everything I said about gamers being worse than anti-gamers. clearly we are the more level-headed and polite of the two groups.

I was going to stand fast on my opinion, but it was the way you wrote "AHAHAHAHA" and used multiple exclamation points that convinced me that you're a super mature individual.

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
I thought that the entire idea of the adopted and fat jokes in Portal 2 was for the irony. You know, GLaDOS so desperately searching for a way to insult you that she has to resort to jokes about you being adopted. Hell, it's even pointed out when
Potato GLaDOS insults Wheatley for saying the same thing.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
There's a whiner for every situation. Let's name it Rule 98.
Rule 98: No matter what you put in a game, there will be someone, somewhere, crying "I'm offended! Give me money and/or attention to shut me up!"

The best part was the Dragon Age 2 whining, when there were complaints about gay-characters hitting on their in-game character from the Heterosexual-side, and complaints from the Homosexual-side about making "Homosexuals only think about sex".

I'm colorbild, and this is a very common genetic defect in our society. Why can't I play one in Fallout 3/Mass Effect 2/whatever?
I'm offended. Represent me.

Edit: Realize I might have been a bit harsh. If this truely affected their daughter, I feel for them. Still, it seems far more likely that this is a case of parent-paranoia-craze.

Arehexes

Jun 27, 2008
SteelStallion said:
Responses here are so typical, you're all gamers that aggressively defend video games to the death. I don't even need to click the comments anymore to know what responses are going to be like.

While it's true that there's nothing really offensive in it save for a few people, I understand that the dad was shocked to hear the remark out of the blue. He didn't say he was hiding it from his daughter, he said it just never came up. He was waiting for an opportune time to sit down and have a talk about her being adopted.

That's why it probably came to such an offensive shock, because now they're going to have to tackle the issue right away since shes heard that, rather than wait for whatever time they might have felt appropriate.
But the problem is with this is what he said

"Stapel said that while he and his wife had never hidden from his Chinese daughter Zoey the fact that she was adopted, it had never come up, and they were waiting for her to be ready to talk about it."

One I think the Chinese kid would know something is up if both parents are not the "same". Two if they were ready to talk about it with her why get upset if a game opens the door for them. And three if they are truly offended they would stop playing the game but he said they are going to keep playing. So they are whining for nothing to be honest. And you said they were waiting for the right time? Sounds like to me with what he was saying they were ready for her to bring it up. They said her, not the parents they wanted HER to talk about it. I don't understand what their problem is at all.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
I'm adopted, and I was always told the only difference is that I was chosen rather than just showing up. Sounds like a good line to deal with the subject when it came up.

Having experienced this part, I will say, that hearing that in the game did kind of have an effect, but it was more down to being so engrossed in the game that, just for a moment it felt like Glados actually knew stuff about me and was playing on stuff that might hit hard.

In the end, it's like making fun of Chell for being bald.

I'll admit it had an emotional impact for a moment, but isn't that exactly what we keep saying we want from our games? I want to give Valve a medal, not sue them.

hamasins

Jul 12, 2010
TheRealCJ said:
SteelStallion said:

Most of the gamers on this site are a bunch of knee-jerkers who are too busy being outraged that they can't even attempt to see (or, more likely, outright refuse to see) the opposing parties' point-of-view.

Gee, when I put it like that, gamers seem just as bad as the people they're raging against. Significantly worse, if you consider that most arguments here boils down to "you're not a gamer, shut up."

seriously??? what do you expect then? do you want companies to publish every little thing that poeple might find insulting in their game manuals or something??? Its called a joke... you know those things that some people find funny but others don't??? those things that are entirely opinionated?

Heck while we are at it maybe we should watch every film ever and look for anything that a single person anywhere could find offensive... hmm... OH and what about books.... hmm... lets see yeah i can think of a few of both that someone somewhere might find offense with some of the content.

see if people don't stop being so sensitive we are going to end up with no books, films, or games heck probably no history either cause heck someone might find it offensive...

Also you do realise that there is a very good chance that the child knows shes adopted, chances are she doesn't care because she has a family that loves her and thats all she will ever need.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
Meh, hopefully Valve will not tkae this seriously.

No matter what you do, somewhere an American will be offended.
And the media will give him/her 15 minutes of glorious fame.

TheRealCJ

Mar 28, 2009
Neogeta said:
TheRealCJ said:
Neogeta said:
TheRealCJ said:
SteelStallion said:

HAHAHA "when I put it like that"!!!

Yeah when you put it like lies anything can seem like anything!

Just like a insult about being fat and dumb and thus unloved and undeserving of love is some how offensive to someone with two parents who love them...

Oh here's a shock, what if she is fat, but her parents were waiting to talk to her about her fatness until it came up, but then the whole "Santa" thing came up and now they are outraged that a fat old man would force them to talk to their kid!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHH Someone alert the press! ! Interview Jesus, how could he allow a fat old man to take over his day!!!
Wow, you replied to my post with a whole bunch of single minded reactionary bullshit! I completely take back everything I said about gamers being worse than anti-gamers. clearly we are the more level-headed and polite of the two groups.

I was going to stand fast on my opinion, but it was the way you wrote "AHAHAHAHA" and used multiple exclamation points that convinced me that you're a super mature individual.

Hmmm, seems like you don't know what "single minded reactionary bullshit" would actually mean. I sure as heck have no idea how anything I said had anything to do with any of those four words.

Well assuming you meant "single-minded", which I think you meant to mean, not seeing other peoples points of view, I absolutely was not that. I put myself in the mind of a fat dumb parentless person, as well as a foolish parent who is mad their fat kid is as fat as santa. If you really meant "single minded" like you said, meaning only using one mind, I guess you got me there.

Now "reactionary" I also assume you meant I had an overreaction, which I completely did not. My response was of the same tone and tenor as your comment and much more level then your profanity laden overreaction.

And you only call it "bullshit" because you have no substantive rebuttal so you name call.

I could continue to pwn you, but you know the old saying about arguing with idiots ! :D
Noo... no. What you posted was some unrelated crap about fat people. Completely irrelevant to my "people here are over sensitive when it comes to someone saying something bad about videogames".

But clearly nothing I say will convince you that you are anything but completely and totally right in every way, so enjoy the orgasm you undoubtedly experienced as you "pwned" me. Well done

Halceon

Jan 31, 2009
I find that oversensitivity and looking for things to be offended by offends me. Besides the internet, where should I go with my complaints?

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
This is the funniest thing I have read all day. I'm sorry if that sounds cruel but I don't care.

Just imagine being there after it's said and the Dad turning to the girl and saying "Now is as good a time as any to talk about this...You ARE fat and you ARE adopted"

You know it will end will Valve doing something annoyingly sweet like recording Glados saying sorry. But in all fairness should a ten year old really be playing portal 2? if she's grown up enough to get the overall creepyness surely-but......I'll stop, there is no point trying to logically argue about this.

Also: Traditionally orphans are fucking kick-ass in videogames.

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
Totally justified. I wrote to Valve myself after being reminded of that time I was in suspended animation for 200~ years and was woken up by an English comedian.

Fuck you, Valve!

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
Joshimodo said:
Totally justified. I wrote to Valve myself after being reminded of that time I was in suspended animation for 200~ years and was woken up by an English comedian.

Fuck you, Valve!
You should go to some local media or something with that.
Would be absolutely hilarious if they actually printed/aired it!

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Personally I thought the part where GLaDOS called up Chell's parents to get a recorded message saying they don't love her was unbelievably hilarious. So much so I'm going to call a newspaper and get them to right a story on how great i thought that was. It was, literally, the funniest thing I could have probably heard.