Adult Escapists: What do you do for a living?

DarthSka

Mar 28, 2011
Working on a BA in geology right now and I hope to move on to a Master's right after. On the side I do some yard work for a family friend back home every now and then on my free weekends. At 10 bucks an hour, it's not that bad.

catalyst8

Oct 29, 2008
University lecturer, or what in the US they call a 'professor' (classics & philosophy, with occasional Greek drama). Brought up on a farm as a child & then in a restaurant, my first job as an adult was as a chef. I've done some acting, mostly off West End, some work as an extra, written & had some plays performed, worked as a financial consultant before discovering academia.

Karisse

Apr 16, 2008
I'm a marketing coordinator for a remodeling company in Pittsburgh. I also run a side business selling consumer products.

Ultress

Volcano Girl
Feb 5, 2009
I'm working on being a Funeral Director,about to finish school in couple of weeks.

Spacelord

May 7, 2008
25, finishing up an industrial psych degree while working part-time as an administrative assistant in an HR department.

Wadderz

Aug 9, 2011
Another academic here. I work in a Computational Neuroscience department that's partnered with a Robotics research centre, but my own research has a more clinical angle. Just about to submit my PhD thesis that centres around sensorimotor integration - fingers crossed for the viva in the new year.

Grant Hobba

Aug 30, 2010
Well this is my second job, I am in the planning department for Rebel Sport, basically forecast and do a lot of accounting. All thanks to my traineeship with the NSW Department of Education and training in which I did nothing but lick boots and give back rubs...

I guess that 9 dollars an hour didn't last forever :p

but now that I can afford them I buy everything I can to make up for lost time :)

Safaia

Sep 24, 2010
I get paid frankly embarrassing amounts of money to scan groceries. Then I get paid $2 more between 12am-6am on weekends where I clean and organize freezers. With full health, dental and vision benefits and a matching 401k. There's a reason I haven't left though I am looking into finishing my degree via online classes.

Rofel

May 21, 2009
Currently finishing up my apprenticeship as an Industrial Plumber/Pipefitter.
Guess i'll keep working there once i'm finished, if they offer a contract.

Makon

Jul 9, 2008
My official title is 'Projects Coordinator' for an industrial tool reseller and repair shop, though my main duties involve cutting and receiving invoices. We are the state distributor for one of the major brands of industrial tools, and are able to sell and repair a very large variety of other items.

At the same time, I am currently writing a book-in-progress that I intend to seek publication for and try to become an author. I much prefer to be at a desk writing fiction than I do crunching numbers and scouring statements.

EvilPicnic

Sep 9, 2009
I'm a registered physiotherapist, although cutbacks and job freezes in the public sector have left me unemployed and currently investigating private work.

So my current 'day job' consists of me volunteering at a local Centre for MS patients in the mornings and jobseeking in the afternoons.

Exile714

Feb 11, 2009
I'm a human rights lawyer who specializes in creating databases to be used in prosecution and other actions against human rights abusers. Although I'm sometimes sent to various countries, my primary focus is Afghanistan. My day to day work is mostly done at home.

Sealpower

Jun 7, 2010
My ongoing studies in mechanical engineering is financed by working all summer at a the office of a factory in my hometown.

SomeBrianDude

Nov 30, 2010
Right now, working in a supermarket. Not what I'd hoped to be doing at 22 when I took the job 4 years ago, but now it's paying my tuition at uni. Light at the end of the horrific tunnel that is food retail...

Frost27

Good news everyone!
Jun 3, 2011
I work on a help desk for a division of General Dynamics doing primarily medical related Government contract accounts.

maxben

Jun 9, 2010
Tin Man said:
Grouchy Imp said:
I'm a senior data analyst and office manager for a logistics consultancy company.

And yes, the job is exactly as glamorous as it sounds!
Huh, weird...

I'm a Senior Data Analyst for a large UK charity, working and living in London =p. Doesn't pay as well as a private job would, but I like the feeling that I'm working towards something other then making someone above me some money, and I recommend working in charity sector to anyone. Also, the people are really laid back and I get to spend unfair amounts of time online. Like now for instance!

Also, I'm surprised that so many of you are unemployed... In my experience adult gamers tend to do pretty well for themselves, because lets be honest lads, most of us were geeks in school!
Some of us were not computer or math or science geeks, some of us liked Shakespeare, and history, and politics, and philosophy.
For people like me on that end of the spectrum, what we are geeky in has little to no job opportunities outside academia (to which there are a tonne of phds and very few spots to fill) or education.
By grade 12 in High School I was taking only classes of that sort: English, Banned Literature, World Politics, World History, Philosophy, and the like.
I'm trying to get my undergraduate for philosophy and history double major, and I was hoping to use that to get into Law School as both of those require analysis of issues and truth-conditions, as well as a tonne of reading and writing. However, I picked a University that is too hard for me and I was too stubborn to accept that. Now I'm in 4th year and I have 2.9 GPA (out of 4, and my school has no "bonus" marks for an A+ grade because they think that's ridiculous. some school they will give you a 4.33 if you go over 95% in a class). Law School requires 3.5 at bare minimum, but you really need a 3.7.
So yeah... I'm going to be a teacher it seems.

Gaiseric

Sep 21, 2008
I just started at Home Depot. Not the job I want forever, but I'm happy to be working again.

It'll be the first time I have a regular schedule and paycheck :D.

Flooring was very unreliable and I never got paid with any consistency.

Sarmos

Mar 28, 2010
Currently studying to be a Marine Electritian. Which is going to ROCK. The government of Canada just awarded 25 BILLION (Yes BILLION) dollars worth of ship building contracts to the city closest to where I live. Going to have a job doing what I love, in a house I already own, all at the wonderful age of 23 by the time I graduate.

Life is good.