Adventure Time & Modern Cartoons In General.

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
BlueberryMUNCH said:
Notice the time it is shown at. Its shown at a time when not many people actaully watch cartoons and Cartoon Network has been going back to pushing the envelope on inuendos just go watch Chowder.

Michael Lyon

Nov 28, 2011
my little pony is an amazing cartoon the story lines in all the episodes are amazing and gripping the characters have personalities and are just amazing, adventure time is fucking hilarious the humour in is random but that is just what i like, the episodes are all random kinda like the simpsons none of them run off of the other and that is why i like it, it is completely and utterly random

bluepotatosack

Mar 17, 2011
Small Waves said:
twistedmic said:
I do watch Adventure Time from time to time, and I'd occasionally watch Flapjack and Chowder, but for the most part I prefer the cartoons with a more structured story-line and less random humor.
Venture Brothers is my absolute favorite, with Metalocalypse, Futurama and Young Justice coming in at a close second. Those shows, while having their funny moments, are a bit more serious than the majority of the cartoons on air nowadays.
>Stoner humor bullshit show #18741267541267654781254099209 pushed out by Adult Swim
>Serious

LOL NO
Metalocalypse and The Venture Brothers don't really fit that profile. They both have series spanning story arcs. I'm not really a Metalocalypse fan but The Venture Brothers is fantastic.

Very character driven, subverted tropes all over the place, and a large amount of nerd and music humor.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
I enjoy Adventure Time. The character aesthetic is consistent and appealing, the world is intriguing especially when you put a little thought into the hints dropped throughout the show as to why the world is the way it is, Jake is voiced by John DiMaggio so it earns an additional pro from me.

Honestly it's one of the better shows I've seen in a while, I'd put it up there with Swat Kats , Avatar: The Last Airbender, and the DCAU in the list of great cartoons.

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
Well, I could try to find words for my opinion on modern cartoons...

But I think that it is this...

OᴥO

(Size tags. You fail me!)

Crazy

Oct 4, 2011
My favorite 21st century cartoon? My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic of course! My least favorite? Adventure Time.

Sandernista

Feb 26, 2009
Adventure Time is probably the funniest show I've ever watched, cartoon or not.

My favorite thing to do is hang out with my bros watching Adventure Time re-runs after a few hours of YGO or Pokemans.

Seriously, that episode with Marceline's father? I still laugh my ass off at the 'your mom' joke.

gigastrike

Jul 13, 2008
A thread about modern cartoons on the Escapist, and we went over a page without a sinlge mention of MLP? Color me surprised.

Anyway, Adventure Time is ok. I'll watch it if someone else turns it on, but the episode are really hit and miss for me. They can go from standard and uninteresting to totally off the wall in ways that I've never seen (A touching moment between a vampire and his daughter being interrupted by Finn leaping in, stabbing him in the chest, and banishing him to Hell? Possibly the best thing I've seen in a recent cartoon).

Still, I miss the oldies like Dexter's Lab and Hey Arnold.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
gigastrike said:
A thread about modern cartoons on the Escapist, and we went over a page without a sinlge mention of MLP? Color me surprised.
That's because the thread is from early February, back when the MLP phenomenon was only beginning to gain steam.

Anyway, I've never actually sat down and watched an episode of Adventure Time, but I've seen a few clips on Youtube. While I don't care for its art style, it seems like a decent show with clever writing.

I think we're seeing a transitional phase in modern cartoons. Kids who grew up during the "glory days" of the 80's and 90's are creating the shows now. They're drawing inspiration from the cartoons they used to watch, but they're also adding their own ideas to the mix. If shows like Adventure Time and MLP: FiM are the results of this, then I look forward to seeing what else is in store.

Aidinthel

Occasional Gentleman
Apr 3, 2010
Wow, this is an old thread. I feel like I'm playing internet archaeologist or something.
Michael Lyon said:
Welcome to the Escapist, and congratulations are apparently in order for your evident use of the forum search function. I've PM'd you a link to the MLP user group.

On-Topic: The only cartoon I watch right now is Friendship is Magic. I've seen episodes of Adventure Time and Regular Show and while there were some laughs in there I'm sorry but I just can't get into a half hour of pure randomness. The most important aspect of a show for me is the characters and if they aren't well-developed or I can't identify with them then game over.

Darren716

Jul 7, 2011
I have heard good things about Adventure time so im thinking about giving that a look, I think MLP FIM is excellent and that isn't even me being a brony and blindly giving out praise, it is very high quality in pretty much every department and hopefully it can keep up its good work. I just wish it was on a more mainstream network like cartoon network so it could grow a bit more and reach a wider audiance.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I agree that the Golden ages of cartoon is long gone and no modern incarnation can ever reclaim that title.

As for the modern shows itself (American cartoon shows) I do got to admit I have been watching abit more than I normally do in recent years.

Likewise I love Adventure Time (it remind of the random and wackiness from the old times) and MLP:FiM. Shows like Young Justice, Transformers Prime and Thundercats keep me coming back next week to watch the next episode. I had also been watching shows like Regular Show and Sym-bionic Titan when it was aired (shame it never got renew for another season. They're now stuck in cartoon limbo, the trio will never reclaim their homeworld).

Still the cartoons I watch is still small portion in general compare to the many other bad kids shows out there at the moment.

Jacco

May 1, 2011
Macabre9037 said:
Phineas and Ferb really might be the best cartoon since the golden age, in my opinion. I have not watched Adventure Time, but I have heard that its good.
Phineas and Ferb is fucking brilliant. I like it better than most of the ones I remember growing up with.

OT: I saw one episode of Adventure Time and thought it was hilarious. It's SO DIRTY for a kids show. But the humor is done in a way that you would miss it if you weren't paying attention.

StorytellingIsAMust

Jun 24, 2011
Okay, here we go, a short list of modern cartoons worth watching:

Phineas and Ferb
Adventure Time
Generator Rex
Young Justice
Boondocks
Futurama
Simspons
Family Guy
American Dad

All done!

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
I've been watching the first season on DVD and I like it quite well... most of the time.

There are some aspects I find annoying, such as the music. Most of it has a really Indie/Hipster kind of quality to it, which I can't stand, and occasionally there will be a phrase or character that is similarly bothersome. And the episodes featuring Ice King seem to be the poorer ones.

But overall, it's pretty great. I love the weird character and setting designs, and a lot of the dialogue and scenes are very funny. I particularly love what seem to be references to D&D at times - indeed, I got turned on to the show when I watched the episode "Dungeon" on an RPG blog.

Some other modern cartoons I really like (and no surprise, they're on Adult Swim) are Superjail! (which some of the weirder scenes in Adventure Time are very reminiscent of) and my absolute favorite, The Venture Bros. (just amazing all around - dialogue, animation, characters, are all top-notch).

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
I love Adventure Time. Absolutely love it.
I do have the mindset of a retarded child, though.

I watched that bit and seriously had a single tear. I was stunned a storyine so deep would be in a kids show.
I think the shows silly, funny but has a few good morals.
I also love Phineas And Ferb. Hilarious, brilliant writing. Kids shows are getting quite a lot better in recent years.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
BlueberryMUNCH said:
are modern cartoons really as bad as everyone says they are? Sure, maybe the 'Golden Age' has ended...
You've got it all wrong here- Modern cartoons WERE as bad as everyone says they were, but Adventure Time heralds the dawn of a new and brighter cartoon age.

Well... hopefully, anyway...

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I was GOING to say I don't watch any, but I remembered that I approve of Thundercats, so there you are.