Aether Shanties RP (PM if interested/Started)

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
Well, looks like it is the HMS Invincible since so few people have joined up with them

Name: Michael-42

Culture: Automata

Background: Peeler (Modified autocrat)

Ship: HMS Invincible

Appearance: Precisely 6ft tall and weighing 75 kilos, Michael is designed to exact measures, or rather was. A simple brass outer case conceals most workings with a pseudoskin mask showing friendly facial features. Michael's right hand is a strong brass claw as a result of upgrading to allow for combat capabilities, while the left hand is the original design. Michael dons a simple grey cloak that has many pockets stitched on the inside in order to hold tools. He has also taken to carving confirmed kills onto the claw arm.

Personality: Michael is approachable, helpful and doesn't argue, as befits an automata in the company of humans and is most comfortable with other automata. When alone or with other automata, he is jaded and cynical, disliking most humans for the lack of respect they show towards automata. He is not above framing other humans who have particularly offended him or one of his "brothers" using his knowledge of Neovictorian bureaucracy allowing him to tamper with files easily, often getting the victim in severe trouble. Nevertheless, he is capable of kindness to humans who are in turn kind and will give his respect to those who impress him. Michael's wish is to be able to live freely but fears for other automata should he abandon ship.

Background: Produced five years ago to manage the records of the Neovictorian city of Desolation, Michael is out of date. Faced with scrapping for newer models of automata, he decided to alter numerous records. These included his age and profession, becoming a 1 month old peeler bound for service on the HMS Invincible. After applying upgrades from other automata and replacing old and decayed parts, Michael was able to pull off the switch from autocrat to peeler with little hassle. The aim of boarding the Invincible was to wait for a time to jump ship, a chance that came during a drop off at Helium city roughly 3 months later but found that he was unable to leave behind other, younger automata behind who had little understanding of the humans and their ways.
As such, he has maintained an act of submissive behaviour combining his knowledge of bureaucracy and learning capability to deceive the human crew into reducing workloads for automata crew while improving skills in combat. He has developed a grudging respect for the Admiral for managing to maintain a semblance of order on the Invincible but loathes the majority of the crew. Among the other automata, he comes off as extremely cynical, constantly spouting depressing bits of information in the hopes of encouraging them to jump ship. After spending 8 months aboard the Invincible, he has a firm routine and a good grip of life on the ship but struggles to keep his age concealed due to his knowledge of events before his time, he nonetheless maintains himself well enough to avoid trouble.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
Name: Drustan Cynwrig

Culture: Skyloft (could be Neobeduin, though)
Background: Mercenary
Ship: Either is possible, although the Mermaid is more likely.

Appearance: A tall, massive slab of a man, Drustan stands 6'4" tall, and his massive head of crimson hair only makes him seem taller. Drustan's clothing tends to change semi-regularly, but this is only because he has a habit of ruining clothing in fights and brawls. Typically, he wears some sort of long/trench coat or duster, and they're usually in a dull tone to avoid clashing with his (barely kempt) crimson mane.

Physically, Drustan is a huge person, in both strength and size. On most of his jobs, he gets relegated most of the grunt labor, as he's normally the best suited to the task. He's a loud, imposing man, and he's hardly conspicuous. He takes great pride in his physical self, and this usually manifests in (over)confidence. He's not very narcissistic, he's just glad he is who he is. He's the kind of man, who on appearance alone, can make others either run indoors screaming, or run to him in times of need.

Personality: If Drustan had a single opposite, it would be subtlety. He is gruff and rowdy almost to the point of boisterous, and he only has a middle ground between "obscenely joyous" and "really damn grouchy" when ordered to. He enjoys company, especially if there's drinking involved, and he never turns down free alcohol. Despite his size and appearance, Drustan is a fairly amicable person, and he tends to strike up at least a few friendships whenever he travels somewhere new.

Biography: The life of Drustan Cynwrig, like the man himself, is relatively simple. He left his beloved home in Skyloft for the simple sake of enjoying life and the adventures that make it up. His father was an artisan, known for his versatile skills and intricate creations. His mother was a full-time housewife, largely due to the fact that she gave birth to seven children, of which Drustan was the second oldest. As Drustan grew older, he became less and less attached to his family, even more so than the average teenager. He loved the life he had, and there were no real complaints, but it just seemed like something vital was missing. He said his goodbyes to home, and set off upon an airship to see what had yet to be seen, that was 15 years ago. While treasure hunting with an airship crew a fe years ago, he found the ancient battle axe "El Mak'on D'teth". When they were leaving, the job went south and the cave they were in started collapsing. Drustan held off the falling ceiling almost single-handedly, using D'teth to support areas he wasn't in. His actions saved the lives of the crew, and Drustan decided to keep the axe, believing it could be useful in the future.

Deu Sex

Aug 26, 2012
Name: Piranha Pete

Culture: Misbegotten

Background: Chuno Ggun

Ship: HMS Invincible

Stands over six feet in height, possessing lanky limbs and a pale complexion. Pete?s namesake comes from a mutation around his mouth that causes it look and function like the jaws of a predator fish. If he wishes to hide his deformed fangs, Pete will often wear a bandana over his mouth. In addition to this he?s generally be seen wearing a dirty longcoat, a broad-brimmed cowboy-like hat, a pair of torn trousers, a white vest and some hardy black boots.

For weapons Pete likes to carry a clockwork revolver and a long, thick knife. When expecting trouble Pete will also wear a bronze armour piece under his coat, to protect his chest from harm.

Due to his upbringing Pete tends to have a very pessimistic outlook on things. He holds the cynical belief that people are inherently selfish, and therefore it?s only smart to put your needs above the needs of others. Although self-centered, Pete is not cruel and won?t do something wicked unless it benefits him in some way or he has no other choice. While he has come to enjoy the sense of fearful respect that comes with being a Chuno Ggun, he isn?t psychotic and doesn?t take much pleasure in his carrying out his work.

Despite serving under them as a Chuno Ggun, he has a strong disliking of the Neovictorian aristocracy ? blaming them for his fate as a misbegotten and disgusted by some of the acts they have him commit.

In addition to a sharp set of teeth, Pete also possesses a sharp tongue and wit. He?ll often make snarky remarks and snide comments regardless of the scenario. He's particularly fond of wisecracking around Neovictorian nobles ? as he finds they get easily offended or unnerved by a lowly mutant acting in such an insulting manner.

Like all misbegotten, Pete grew up in the isolated blocks of a Neovictorian city. Since the day he was born the mutant had a stronger sense of hunger than most, needing to eat a rather excessive amount of food in order be satisfied. As food was a tad scarce in the blocks, Pete started committing acts of petty thievery and scamming ? swindling other misbegotten out of their wealth so he could spend it on his own meals. Eventually Pete began developing a loud mouth in addition to a large avarice. Both of these soon got Pete into trouble with some local hardened crooks. They had been cheated out of a hefty sum of cash by Pete, who boldly and stupidly responded to their threats with smartass remarks. One day the thugs came after the petty swindler with intent to kill. When two of the crooks found Pete, he did the only thing a man with his life at risk of end could do, and fought back. He tore out of the throats of both of the men with his mutant jaws ? tearing their necks apart in minutes until only bone was left. After the other goons discovered the mutilated corpses of their friends, they kept their distance from Pete.

It wasn't soon before the elite of Neovictorian society caught wind of gruesome misbegotten murders. Those sent to investigate eventually discovered Pete, and decided that his vicious mutation could make him a valuable terror troop for the Chuno Ggun. He was taken out of his home and put through a series of brutal tests both psychological and physical. After his supervisors judged him to be sufficiently trained in combat and morally distant, Pete was sent out on various field missions. Most of his tasks involved assassinating rebels, outlaws and others who were deemed a threat to the empire. His superiors advised him to feast upon the bodies of his targets, knowing the sight of a cannibalized carcass would send a terrifying message to those who opposed the will of the Emperor. After many successful assassination missions Pete recently suffered a change of tone in work, being assigned to the HMS Invincible for reasons unknown to him. Pete has been on the airship for a month now and has seen little action, unsure about what the empire has planned for him. Pete?s presence has created a light atmosphere of fear to form among the crew ? many uneasy about the misbegotten?s gruesome facial mutation, his status as a Chuno Ggun and the ambiguity of his reason for being among them.

Driekan

Sep 6, 2012
Added more (needless) stuff to the character sheet just because I felt compelled to post more and didn't have much to say...

... Which is a problem worth correcting! So, for the people running Mermaid characters... How long have your characters been on the ship? Anyone who's been around for over a month or two should know each other, meaning we should probably discuss what their relationships would be like and such.

3quency

Jun 12, 2009
Driekan said:
So, for the people running Mermaid characters... How long have your characters been on the ship? Anyone who's been around for over a month or two should know each other, meaning we should probably discuss what their relationships would be like and such.
Yeah, I've probably been with the ship a wee while. Should we discuss this here or set up a group?

Fiad

Apr 3, 2010
Driekan said:
Added more (needless) stuff to the character sheet just because I felt compelled to post more and didn't have much to say...

... Which is a problem worth correcting! So, for the people running Mermaid characters... How long have your characters been on the ship? Anyone who's been around for over a month or two should know each other, meaning we should probably discuss what their relationships would be like and such.
Provided I am accepted in, my character would have only been on the ship a short time since he stowed away. Either soon to be found or just found.

Driekan

Sep 6, 2012
3quency said:
Driekan said:
So, for the people running Mermaid characters... How long have your characters been on the ship? Anyone who's been around for over a month or two should know each other, meaning we should probably discuss what their relationships would be like and such.
Yeah, I've probably been with the ship a wee while. Should we discuss this here or set up a group?
I suspect a group would be less inconvenient for our GM, derailing the thread less...

I'm up for that, if anyone else is!

IFS

Mar 5, 2012
3quency said:
Driekan said:
Zachariah's probably been on the mermaid for at least two months, though he's only been a pirate for about a year. As for discussing their relationships I think it would work better to just discuss it in this thread.

EDIT:
Driekan said:
I suspect a group would be less inconvenient for our GM, derailing the thread less...

I'm up for that, if anyone else is!
I'm up for it.

3quency

Jun 12, 2009
Okay, in light of the current discussion I've groupified. I've invited everyone who's submitted a Mermaid character (I think), as well as Wenseph so he can sit in and go "hey, cut that shit out" and various other GM-type things.

Obviously without his grace it's unofficial, but it might come in handy.

And yeah, obviously everyone in the group might not be playing but that's a bridge to cross upon arrival.

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
Considering that no one has been accepted yet. You certainly take interesting liberties with this. >_>

No, that group is not official. I don't mind you posting here and bumping the thread to the top...

3quency

Jun 12, 2009
Wenseph said:
Considering that no one has been accepted yet. You certainly take interesting liberties with this. >_>

No, that group is not official. I don't mind you posting here and bumping the thread to the top...
Sorry, we were just talking about it so I thought it would make the recruitment thread cleaner.
Didn't mean to be acting out of turn.

LordDPS

Jun 4, 2010
Well,looks interesting anyway. I do hope i don't make too much of an arse of myself. as this is my first time really RPing on a forum.

LordDPS

Jun 4, 2010
Driekan said:

My Char's only just got in on this voyage. So he probably knows nobody.

Driekan

Sep 6, 2012
Wenseph said:

I don't think anyone intends not to defer to GM decisions in anything here... And if anyone doesn't get approved, it's only our own time we're wasting.

If we're out of line, is it acceptable for us to blame boundless enthusiasm and move right along?

Oct 2, 2012
Driekan said:

If I'm accepted I'd like to only have been on for a very short time. Like a few days or a month at most. That cool?

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
Driekan said:
Wenseph said:

I don't think anyone intends not to defer to GM decisions in anything here... And if anyone doesn't get approved, it's only our own time we're wasting.

If we're out of line, is it acceptable for us to blame boundless enthusiasm and move right along?
Sure, I'm not holding anything against anyone.

Evrant-Knight

An Interloper
May 5, 2010
Bristol
Country
United Kingdom
Mine and Hiei's character are almost done, just got to refine some of the items, and we will be ready to show them.

Ultraman950

Oct 17, 2010
LordDPS said:
Well,looks interesting anyway. I do hope i don't make too much of an arse of myself. as this is my first time really RPing on a forum.
Don't sweat it too much, we all gotta start somewhere. Just remember the cardinal rules: No god-modding (acting overpowered or doing things your character wouldn't be able to), try to stay in character, don't take control of other player characters without express permission, and do your best to maintain proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation (though the last one is subjective).

Do these things, and the rest will come on its own.

LordDPS

Jun 4, 2010
Ultraman950 said:
LordDPS said:
Don't sweat it too much, we all gotta start somewhere. Just remember the cardinal rules: No god-modding (acting overpowered or doing things your character wouldn't be able to), try to stay in character, don't take control of other player characters without express permission, and do your best to maintain proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation (though the last one is subjective).

Do these things, and the rest will come on its own.
At least my cock ups will be entertaining right? Still. I think i'll be fine lol.