Aether Shanties RP (PM if interested/Started)

Arcanist

Feb 24, 2010
A quick question to the OP - is my character's story behind joining the Mermaid alright, or should I revise it?

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
Arcanist said:
A quick question to the OP - is my character's story behind joining the Mermaid alright, or should I revise it?
I think it's fine.

Also, I'll stop recruiting on friday and start looking over the sheets more then, so no more queestions like this. Thanks.

Ruedyn

Jun 29, 2011
Name: Allistair Skimpole

Culture: Neo-Victorian
Background: Musician
Ship: The Mermaid

Appearance: He stands at around 5'11, and usually wears a renaissance style shirt underneath a grey vest, with black trousers and knee-high brown boots. He has a distinct black celtic cross tattoo on his cheek stretching to his chin and forehead, and almost to his nose and his ear, and is never too far from his beloved guitar. He carries a revolver that he says he's "Only fired twice", and it shows when he is combat. He has a sword as well, but his skills with that are marginally above his pistol skill. He has a slim and handsome face, complete with a head of shoulder length brown hair that is pushed out of his face creating a nice frame, and a pointed goatee.

Personality: He is laid back, and one of the first to crack a joke (whether it is appropriate or not), but is heavily paranoid of all around him, and is a sort of faux christian, but has tried to keep it from interrupting his life as a pirate. He is creeped out by automatons, and will usually leave the room if one enters. He also dislikes if anyone tries to sing with him or plays an instrument with him. He is a bit of a womanizer.

Bio: He lived a somewhat pampered life as a clergy mans' son, and found his voice relatively young at the age of 9. Unfortunately, his mother died during childbirth and his fathers flock had all but abandoned the church once a newer, more fashionable one sprang up. He inevitably took to the drink, and drove his son away. Still, he loved the idea of Christianity and decided to get a tattoo, in a move that pissed off his father and made him somewhat proud at the same time. Once he came of age, he decided to become a pirate. An idea that only pissed off his father. Still, he managed to find the Captain before Beth and told him he was one of the best singers in the land, and the demonstration proved it. He's been with them for 3 years, and put up no resistance when Beth took command, practically supporting it. He has been asked about it, though his usual response is "Piss off".

He is usually at the bar with either a hymn, song, or a story.
Added on a bit, but not enough to qualify '2.0' status.

blaze96

Apr 9, 2008
Samuel v. 2: A bit of elaboration with enough changes to justify the new post.

Name: Samuel Garland

Culture: Neo-Victorian

Background: Upper Class

Ship: HMS Invincible

Background: Doctor

He wears the standard uniform of an INS medical officer though when allowed to go a bit more casual he prefers the upper class dress of the Neo-Victorians. He wears a dark blue button up vest with a white collared shirt underneath with a matching tie. He wears dark blue suit pants and black wingtips. He walks with a black walking stick with a gold ball on the top for holding. He wears golden cufflinks with the family crest on them, if only to annoy his family for a reminder of his belonging to them. Samuel also keep a golden pocket watch from an uncle of his who is considered even more of an "eccentric" than him.

He keeps a satchel which is used to carry both medical supplies if needed in the field and the "seditious" books of Skyfolk doctors on the cutting edge or fringe of medical science. He prefers smaller digest sized books to large tomes as they are easy to carry with him, and when not on the job Samuel can often be found with his nose in one.

Samuel is of average body size owing to the necessity to keep in shape placed by the INS. He keeps his brown hair just longer than regulation length (enough to annoy but not enough to bring about any punishment) and he has green eyes.

Samuel is a very animated man to put it lightly. He enjoys his work perhaps a bit too much and is constantly looking for new ways to improve his craft (no matter how illegal or immoral they may happen to be). If it can help him save a life, or simply improve upon the human body, he will be willing to attempt and perfect it. If told by the captain or a superior officer to halt a procedure or some other limitation he will follow the orders but he will openly lament the "stifling atmosphere" on the ship.

He will take most if not any opportunity to be a pain in the ass to authority he sees as holding him back. Though he has just enough to tact to remain within regulation so as to not get in too much trouble. He has been known to push the envelope however and more than a few times he has been reprimanded, and had his books seized before they were thrown overboard.

He came from a long line of IAN officers and doctors, Samuel had been bred to follow in the family line. Frankly that was fine by him as he openly enjoyed the process of becoming the type of doctor the IAN would wish to have. His studies gave him an excuse to stay far away from the normal activities of dancing and over done parties common to his class. He found the inane chatter boring and the people even more so, all so enraptured with where they were even if they lamented it as a gilded cage. He was 22 when he had finished his studies and his family gave up and let him go. It had become apparent when he started college that he enjoyed his studies more than the rest of the family. Samuel's shunning of the power games played among the upper class made him something of a family pariah. They hoped they could fix him before they would simply have to let him go, they failed miserably but had to save face.

When his studies finished he was able to do the jobs required by the doctor on a ship which included surgery, hair cutting, administration of medicine, standard medicinal care, and emergency care. Finally he would be allowed to leave the city of Desolation and be able to travel the skies and practice his beloved medicine, or so he thought. On the INS ship he found his every action was governed by rules, moral codes, and ethical boundaries. Constantly limited and unable to question why he quickly grew to hate his new surroundings even more so than his old. He contemplated simply smuggling himself off the ship for a few years before he heard about Ms. Lanester and the Invincible.

Samuel immediately requested transfer to be Chief Medical Officer on the Invincible, his superior was happy to be rid of him and "embellished" a bit to help get him transferred. He is a recent transfer to the Invincible and as such will need to adjust a bit, but as a man who identifies more with the lower social orders than his own he is actually somewhat eager to be on a ship that won't be playing power games. He hopes her more liberal nature will carry over to his love of reading Skyfolk medical texts from the more advancement focused and unconventional cities.

drmigit2

Dec 25, 2008
Ultraman950 said:
Wow. Lots of characters. @_@
What do you expect? This is a pirate role play. At least I can be confident Horatio will make it in.

Ultraman950

Oct 17, 2010
drmigit2 said:
Ultraman950 said:
What do you expect? This is a pirate role play. At least I can be confident Horatio will make it in.
I know. I make a lot of stupid observations. What do you want from me? XD

Ruedyn

Jun 29, 2011
drmigit2 said:
Ultraman950 said:
How? Is that a confidence thing or have you actually made a Faustian contract deal with the GM?

drmigit2

Dec 25, 2008
ruedyn said:
drmigit2 said:
Ultraman950 said:
How? Is that a confidence thing or have you actually made a Faustian contract deal with the GM?
We have a shortage of imperial players, Horatio is an imperial.

Ruedyn

Jun 29, 2011
drmigit2 said:
ruedyn said:
drmigit2 said:
Ultraman950 said:
Ah, so how important do you think they think bards are? I'm hoping very.

drmigit2

Dec 25, 2008
ruedyn said:
drmigit2 said:
ruedyn said:
drmigit2 said:
Ultraman950 said:
Considering you are one of the few people NOT to pick the weird hunter gun shooty class, I would say your chances are pretty decent.

Ruedyn

Jun 29, 2011
drmigit2 said:
ruedyn said:
drmigit2 said:
ruedyn said:
drmigit2 said:
Ultraman950 said:
Considering you are one of the few people NOT to pick the weird hunter gun shooty class, I would say your chances are pretty decent.
Whoo, the power of music saves me again

blaze96

Apr 9, 2008
Well if not picking a violent shooter class and being a part of the empire are good factors then I guess I'm doing ok then. Good thing I love playing medic classes when possible.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Name: Emily Newars
Culture: Neo-Victorian:High
Background: Doctor

Appearance: Short, two-inch long raven-black hair, bright blue eyes,a face some would call pretty except for the permanent bags under her eyes and a nose broken multiple times, she stands around 5 and a half feet, and is surprisingly strong for her size, made from years of holding down unwilling amputees, delirious patients and the like.

She normally dresses in the best clothes her family fortune can afford, be they pants, dresses, blouses, or skin tight leather, it changes daily.

Personality: A bit abrasive because she prefers not to get personal with her potential patients, but she does care. Her personal qualms with airships aside, she's friendly enough to the Captain and anyone over basic ship rank. Those of the lower class are either not spoken to, or they're treated second to higher ranks, if there are any. An occasional imbiber of laudanum, she keeps a case of it for every voyage for personal use.

Biography: Emily is the sole heir to the Newars family fortune, originally fourth in line and youngest, her brothers each died, one from a standard factory inspection accident, two from IAN duty, and one from natural causes as a child. Her parents both died a few years ago from old age. She started life always wanting to be a doctor,growing up in Old Borealis, she started as a child cutting open toads that happened upon their estate, moving up to factory workers and Misbegottens as she got older. Her tutors called her a protegee, and she took them to heart. Her family sent her off to the university, where she continued her studies, working and becoming a more experienced doctor through field work and classes.

She graduated and was accepted into the IAN, and although she hates flying, she finds the airship navy to be most exhilarating and most challenging of posts. The limited supplies, the various diseases that can strike at any time, the pirates, illegal slavers, the Skycities, while not a big reason she continues her craft is a valuable source of information. While she sees few Skycity docs, the ones she has met are some of the better ones she has found. In able to cope with her fear of flying, she has found one outlet, her laudanum, of which she stocks up on a case of twenty four bottles per voyage, each holding around four liters, she has around a cup every few hours. While not yet an addiction, it is close, and she sees no point in stopping anytime soon.

Her posting on the HMS Invincible is recent and as such, she doesn't know the ship or crew as well as most.

Notes: She has a set of doctor's tools hand-crafted she was given upon her graduation from medical school in addition to the ones given her from the IAN, she keeps these in a box for surgeries or procedures requiring more precision.

She knows how to handle herself in a fight, but sticks to brawling mostly simply because it limits the amount of work she might have to do later on, but she does keep a long bladed knife, razor-sharp, on her leg, reaching from her waist to around her knee. This she keeps for any time she actually needs a scalpel, but the situation doesn't allow her to run for her quarters. It also is good practice she's learned to keep any sort of knife on hand on board a ship, never know when an uncut line could spell doom for the crew.

PlastikBulb

Mar 21, 2012
Name: Feron-12

Culture: Automaton
Background: Servant (Servitor)

Appearance: Ferons stands at about 5?3, a good height to serve, comforting for children, but not intimidating enough to be a threat to adults. He?s is pretty shabby. He was never much of a looker before being put through the ringer by his master, but afterwards he was never really the same. Standard wood-brass composition, but dulled by time and lack of repair materials and even a desire to repair. He has had no psudoskin since the night he had his face torn off.

Personality: Feron si the prime example of an automaton who has been stripped of everything. His free will, his imagination, his compassion and the majority of his self-awareness has been stamped out fo him through psychological methods of torture and conditioning. Thanks to a terrible accident in the home in which he worked, his master, a Neovictorian Inventor, decided that instead of throwing Feron to the scrap heap, he?d work out whatever kinks he could find in his attitude and then sell him off to the Navy. (something that would almost certainly ensure his demise at any rate) Thanks to this, Feron is very much the picture perfect servant, obeying orders and only taking the risks necessary to complete them, never going beyond any specific parameters that the orders might entail. But lately, a voice has been muttering in the back of his head, telling him things that would be better, and the right course of action. Things that would make him free and able to actually live. He?s is horrified by this.

Biography: Feron is one of a number of servitor automata that were created at the same time. The first six months of his life were pleasant enough. He was bought by a well off Neovictorian family with two young girls. His job was to care for them while the parents were out doing whatever it was they cared to do. And it went well, until one of them died. Now, Feron hadn?t had much time to connect with them, and really he can?t remember much of that evening. (He?s a servitor, not an autocrat damnit!) Of course, not being able to recollect or being able to defend his charges on the night that a group of thugs raided their mansion home in Everglade wasn?t good enough.

They?d caught him from behind, knocked him down, torn off the psudoskin that had adorned his face and went on to steal everything that wasn?t nailed down. The traumatic experience of getting the flesh that he?d assumed was his face torn off was enough to keep him down while the two girls hid. But it wasn?t well enough it seems. He recovered as his masters returned home, and was immediately quarantined and questioned.
For the next six months of his life he was subject to an innumerable number of tests to determine his sentience. His master, the neovictorian inventor with a kindly face and bristling moustache, had his lips curled into a snarl of rage whenever he laid eyes on the machine that had the gall to feel more sorrow for the sham of a face than his own daughter. After the man discovered what he could, he set about destroying it utterly.

When he was done, Feron expressed nothing but the most basic phrases required to compel his tasks, he never questioned, never talked back or gave lip. He was the perfect servant. And the inventor couldn?t stand him. Ever glance at that torn face reminded him of the failure that this pathetic excuse for a being was. So he sold it. Sold Feron to the navy in the hope that he would but thrown into a horrible conflict and be told to get in the cannons and fire himself at the foe.

And so now Feron sit patiently on the HMS Invincible. Well behaved and awaiting his next order.

blaze96

Apr 9, 2008
Redryhno said:
her laudanum, of which she stocks up on a case of twenty four bottles per voyage, each holding around four liters, she has around a cup every few hours. While not yet an addiction, it is close, and she sees no point in stopping anytime soon.
You may want to edit her dosage, two to three teaspoons of laudanum is enough to kill a full grown adult. You have her on a cup every few hours. At that dosage this woman's heart should stop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laudanum#Potency_of_laudanum

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
blaze96 said:
Redryhno said:
her laudanum, of which she stocks up on a case of twenty four bottles per voyage, each holding around four liters, she has around a cup every few hours. While not yet an addiction, it is close, and she sees no point in stopping anytime soon.
You may want to edit her dosage, two to three teaspoons of laudanum is enough to kill a full grown adult. You have her on a cup every few hours. At that dosage this woman's heart should stop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laudanum#Potency_of_laudanum
there's a reason she takes that much you know, I'm estimating her having been taking it for around....ten years, give or take, upping her resistance to around a little more than that if my history lessons and math match up, and by cup I don't mean a cup as in "3 cups of baking soda, 2 of vinegar", I mean a regular little glass that she pours a bit into and gulps down. I meant to word the addiction sentence to say more along the lines of:

She doesn't admit to having an addiction, but it's there.

Trust me, I'm a well-trained dolphin from Miami.

blaze96

Apr 9, 2008
Fair enough I just read the sheet and that seemed way too much to me. I still feel that even at say a small shot glass size may be too much even with a resistance. But I can see how I may be overestimating the potency of it or possibly underestimating how resistance and the body's ability to actually process the substance may or may not be interrelated. I'm not a doctor or researcher so hell if I know. Just figured I would point it out in any case so that there wasn't a doctor who takes enough laudanum to stop the heart on a regular basis.

Redryhno said:

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
hiei82 said:
3quency said:
If we need to beef up the numbers I can also submit an Imp.

I mean, no characters have been accepted yet so it doubles my odds of getting in more than anything else XD
More then doubles since we have a lower supply of Imperial characters actually.
Good thing I went Imperial then.

Kuroneko Aisha

Nov 10, 2011
Name: Avi Skyer

Culture: Skyfolk
Background: Pirate
Ship: The Mermaid

Appearance: Avi is approximately 3' 9" (114.3 cm) and 58 pounds (26.3kg), with short brown hair that falls down to her shoulders in a tight ponytail. Her eyes are emerald green and are usually filled with a mischievous intent and her skin is normally white with a nice tan when she's out on the deck often. Being a tomboy, she is usually seen wearing long trousers tied off at the ankle with string, along with a long t-shirt that is tied off at her waist to keep it from moving around too much in the high winds of the air. Normally barefoot, she will wear shoes when the situation warrants it.

Personality: Avi is very active with the energy of a child and the discipline of a pirate. She knows her place among the crew of the Mermaid, but that normally doesn't stop her from playing an innocent trick or two when the situation is appropriate. She is always willing to lend a helping hand with the crews, and every now and then at port, she uses her childish innocence to score some free food to share around with the others.

Biography: Avi was born and raised on the Mermaid, the product of two Skyfolk pirates who had decided to tie the knot and raise a child under the condition that the offspring would have to live under the same rules as the rest of the crews. Being raised by not only her family, but the entire crew of the ship has led her to love the her lot in life. She was relatively free to roam the ship as a young toddler, but as soon as she was able to hold her own weight on the ship, she was tasked with small chores such as cleaning the deck of the Mermaid, making sure that inventories were up to date, and checking that their stores of food and water were accurate.
She happily performed all tasks with a smile, and even if she was punished for making a mistake every now and then, she knew that she would only have to do better the next time. Getting praised for a good job was her best reward, and she worked hard to earn it. Now nine years old, she's tasked not only with the previous chores, but also making sure that their crews are entertained by singing and dancing, which she has become quite good at and enjoys hearing the crews cheering for her as she sings about their latest exploits and adventures. Avi has very little experience with firearms, but she knows enough to safely handle one in the event of an emergency. Whether she can hit something accurately or not is another question altogether.

Here is my character. I got approval from the OP for her age, since she's been born and raised on the ship her whole life. If there's anything that needs adjusting or further details on, I'll be happy to work on it. ^^