Aether Shanties RP (PM if interested/Started)

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
blaze96 said:
Fair enough I just read the sheet and that seemed way too much to me. I still feel that even at say a small shot glass size may be too much even with a resistance. But I can see how I may be overestimating the potency of it or possibly underestimating how resistance and the body's ability to actually process the substance may or may not be interrelated. I'm not a doctor or researcher so hell if I know. Just figured I would point it out in any case so that there wasn't a doctor who takes enough laudanum to stop the heart on a regular basis.
Thanks for the heads-up in any case, but the body is very weird in how it processes the crap you put into it and if my history classes were right about this, most medicinal and alcoholic "beverages",etc. were around half (or less) as potent as they are today. Now I may be going by something around 1850 or so, but this is around Victorian age stuff, so anywhere between around 1880 up until the twentieth century should be about the same in terms of that, but I may be wrong, I'll see when the character select-o-matic comes around.

And in case it wasn't implied for you in the above paragraph, thanks for not trying to bite my head off on this thing.

Tips_of_Fingers

Jun 21, 2010
And I finally get a sheet in... I apologise for the length... kind of.

"People of the Empire fear and revere his past. The pirates fear and despise his future."

Name: Exeter St John

Culture: Neovictorian (Upper Class)

Background: 10 years as a Pirate, 13 years as an Air Navy Officer

Ship: HMS Invincible

Appearance: Exeter is a wiry man of 5'9" with shoulder-length, greasy brown hair that is sometimes tied at the nape of his neck - usually for more formal occcasions. He has shifty grey eyes and an unnerving smile; sardonic at best, imperious at worst. Around Exeter's neck can be seen a braided-rope scar and the back of his right hand bears a tattoo of bats in flight that climb halfway up his forearm.

The navy uniform is Exeter's regular attire; a Royal-Navy blue greatcoat with red trim, a white silk-shirt, a pair of durable Royal-Navy blue trousers, and a pair of heavy black boots. Unlike the rest of the officers onboard though, Exeter's uniform is rarely clean and never ironed. The coat is old, stained and fraying around the edges, a few poorly-mended holes are also obvious on the breast. The silk shirt was perhaps once white but is now more of a dusty grey and the top two buttons seem to be permanently undone - probably because they're missing. The trousers have dusty, worn knees and more poorly-stitched mends in them and his boots are scuffed and unpolished.

At his waist, Exeter carries a powerful flintlock pistol ornately decorated with silver engravings at the butt and along the barrel. He also has an old sabre for close-quarters but prefers to use the heavy telescopic baton and brass knuckles that he keeps stashed inside his coat.

Personality: Exeter St John is an extremely cool and quiet man who likes to keep on the good side of his superiors (even if he dislikes them) and intimidate his subordinates into obedience. He is a highly unctuous character - to the point of apparent patronism - who always looks as though he is plotting something; he stalks rather than walks everywhere.

Staunchly loyal to the Empire, Exeter will defend it unerringly. Even the most ardent lovers of the Empire have commented on Exeter's zealous affection and it has been said that he takes his job of interrogating pirates a bit too personally, often taking things too far and with a grin on his face. The only thing he is more loyal to is the memory of his late father, a hero amongst the Air Navy. Anyone who insults Exeter's father usually find themselves shot very quickly.

Although an angry and violent man inside, he is also well-read and a bit of a romantic - he enjoys military history and some philosophy, and is drawn into the idea of single-handedly saving the Empire from piracy.

Described as a pyschopath and a sadist, Exeter's success lies in his ability to intimidate on his reputation alone. This assurance is what makes him so cool and collected, qualities that just act to cement his reputation as a ruthlessly violent bastard. But could also help to get him killed...

Exeter was born to the extremely rich St John family in Old Borealis, his father being the decorated Navy Officer Salisbury St John. Exeter's childhood was ripe with maids and servants, butlers and cooks. Exeter was treated kindly, well-educated and care-free but he barely saw his father.

The inimitable Salisbury St John was always away "saving the Empire" and "routing the pirate scourge". Not that the young Exeter particularly minded - he loved having a hero for a father, revering him more than the Empire itself.

When Exeter was eleven however, his father was killed in a failed assault on High Tortuga, a disastrous incident that the Empire quickly tried to forget. Exeter's mother couldn't forget though and a year after her husband's death she took her own life, leaving Exeter to be picked up by an orphanage.

Exeter spent less than a year at the orphanage. He was becoming increasingly withdrawn and angry, prone to spells of violence against the other children, most often when the subject of fathers came up. He could think of nothing except pirates and avenging his father. He began reading stories about pirates in order to learn more about them but his anger was the only thing fuelled by the romantic portrayals of what he perceived to be murderers and villains.

Just before his thirteenth birthday, Exeter ran away. He went straight to the docks and made a few failed attempts at stowing away on a merchant airship. Eventually, he succeeded and managed to hide himself among the cargo. Not entirely sure what he was doing or where he was doing, the young boy simply vowed to stop piracy at any cost - to avenge his father and save the Empire no matter the risk to himself.

Less than a day from Old Borealis the merchant airship was attacked by pirates. The crew didn't put up much of a fight and, despite his initial anger, Exeter was terrified. The pirates found him when searching the cargo and took him to the captain, a man by the name of Harry Hornbill.

As Hornbill was delibertaing what to do with the him, Exeter's anger and courage were beginning to overpower the fear. Sliding free of his captor, Exeter grabbed quickly grabbed the nearest pirate's flintlock straight from the belt and fired. Hornbill hadn't moved the entire time but the young Exeter still missed, instead hitting the man next to the captain right in the heart. All the pirates watched in shock as the man dropped to the floor, stone dead. Exeter dropped the pistol in shock and held back tears at the thought of his coming fate.

After a moment staring at the dead man, Hornbill looked at young Exeter and grinned widely. "Congratulations," he said, "you just killed my first mate. I never liked the bastard anyway. Welcome aboard the Duskhunter!"

At the age of thirteen, Exeter was a pirate. He resisted at first but captain Hornbill was a charismatic and kind person and Exeter soon found himself warming to the man. In light of having nowhere to go and with the urge to learn more about piracy, Exeter endeavoured stay on the Duskhunter, hoping to learn secrets and methods to best remove piracy once and for all.

Exeter spent ten years on The Duskhunter; he learnt to shoot and fight, learnt how to fly and command an airship. During this time, Exeter never forgot about his father or the Empire but everytime he aided in killing Imperial soldiers and helping the pirates evade capture, he told himself that what he was learning could help the Empire and redeem his conscience. When they travelled to High Tortuga, the place his father was killed, Exeter choked back tears as he drank and cavorted with women, all to keep the charade going; all for the greater good of the Empire.

At the age of eighteen, Hornbill retired and left The Duskhunter under Exeter's charge. To celebrate, he set the course for High Tortuga, but instead of joining his crew for drinks and women, Exeter mourned his father alone, his burning conscience increasing the anger in his heart. There was one woman that night, a poor defenceless whore who happened to find herself in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Exeter captained The Duskhunter until he was twenty-three. In that time he gained a reputation as an unpredictable and ruthless man, often flogging his men for minor infractions and attacking other pirates who had spoken ill-words about him and his noble upbringing. The only time he was ever mutinied involving him nearly being hanged to death before struggling free and single-handely killing all involved. His orders were never disobeyed since that day.

Exeter eventually retired from piracy suddenly and without warning, just one day announcing to his crew that there would be a new captain before boarding a merchant vessel bound for Old Borealis. His education had finally ended and he now felt ready to share his findings with the Empire. Conscience tarnished and mind skewed, Exeter was finally ready to begin his revenge.

Exeter's return was met with confusion, anger and cries of treason. He was arrested upon setting foot in Old Borealis and put on trial. Calmly, Exeter unfolded his story and although many didn't believe him, the ones who mattered did. His courage was commended and he was awarded nearly every medal imaginable. A mixture of his family name and his accolades earned him the title of Rear-Admiral, but Exeter refused - much to the surprise of everyone.

Exeter didn't want to draw attention to himself now, he wanted to aid the Empire from the shadows using his knowledge to aid other admirals instead of being in charge of a large vessel himself. He also believed that his experience as a pirate would be invaluable for interrogating captives, to which his superiors agreed. Thus Exeter began his career in the Air Navy.

Not long after this, Exeter was visited by a woman claiming to have borne his son. She arrived at his the St John manor with a four-year old in tow. Exeter took one look at the child and instantly dismissed the woman's claim. The child was a Misbegotten; eyes like a goat's, pure white hair and an inability to speak. The woman, however, was adamant and would not leave Exeter alone. After a brief struggle, Exeter shot the woma dead and considered the Misbegotten in silence for a long time. Eventually, he decided to raise it like a dog, keeping it caged and hand-cuffed, training it to fight bare-handed and fear his blows if it disobeyed him. As the Misbegotten grew up, Exeter began using it as a tool for intimidation against his peers and war against the pirates. If he didn't want to get his own hands dirty, he would simply order his loyal pet to do the work for him.

Exeter St John has worked in the Air Navy for thirteen years, helping to destroy countless pirate vessels in that time - including The Duskhunter, which he didn't bat an eyelid at. He has tortured hundreds of pirates and attained valuable knowledge for the Empire and believes he is getting close to stopping piracy once and for all. His desire to destroy piracy has flourished into an obsession, to the point where Exeter rarely sleeps and takes little care of his appearance and hygiene. Exeter's reputation as a cold and ruthless man and the fear which he could inspire in people with his own presence as well as his deadly Misbegotten's has become legendary. Although his methods are unsavoury and his presence on ships are uncomfortable for the crew, Exeter is tolerated because he has the vital knowledge and experience needed by the Empire.

Recently, Exeter has - along with his Misbegotten - been taken on board the HMS Invincible to aid her captain in finding and quelling pirates. Exeter has taken an instant dislike to the one-armed woman but shows her deference in order to sustain influence on the ship. He suspects her of something...but he is yet to find out what.

I think the end of the Bio falls apart a little but I'd been writing most of the day. I might go and edit if people suggest I need to add more detail anywhere.

As always, questions and stuff are always welcome. In fact, questions usually help me realise the character better and fill in any holes I've missed.

EDIT: Here's my secondary character.

"He's a beast. Useful for nothing more than killing."

Name: Capricorn

Culture: Misbegotten

Background: Not Applicable. The life he has now is the only life he's ever known.

Ship: HMS Invincible

Appearance: Capricorn is a tall, lean man, standing at 6'2" and weighing 112kg of pure muscle. He has snow white hair and - most strikingly of all - eyes similar to that of a goat. Another subtle difference between himself and a regular human is that he has no canines, just very flat teeth as can be seen on herbivores.

He wears what are effectively rags; a soiled and torn pair of breeches. during colder weather he can be seen wrapped in a threadbare hessian cloak but it otherwise bare-chested. His feet are always bare.

Scars cross Capricorn's body from countless fights and discipline from his master. Until he is needed, his wrists and ankles are securely manacled with reinforced leather and chain, the key of which is held by Exeter St John.

Personality: Capricorn's loyalty to Exeter St John is unquetionable. It can perhaps only be compared to a dog's loyalty to it's master but even that is getting nowhere near how single-minded Capricorn is. The Misbegotten would die a thousand times before he allowed anyone to harm his master.

Despite revering Exeter St John, Capricorn is also infinitely afraid of his master due to the beatings and strict discipline he received whilst growing up. The result is a placid, simpleton capable of killing a group of armed men with his bare hands.

Although he has almost no mental aptitude aside from fighting, Capricorn is nevertheless a curious person. He cannot speak, instead merely making strange animal-like noises and he can often be found staring at things he finds interesting. His curiosity is often sated by tasting the thing holding his attention. He will usually chew something he finds interesting for hours on end before swallowing it.

Despite being placid when in chains, Capricorn is a quick and efficient fighter and will stop at nothing to fulfil his master's order of "kill", even if he is dying himself. Because the Misbegotten is mentally deficient, he has no morals. He doesn;t see hurting other people as right or wrong, he only knows the desire to please his master.

Biography: Capricorn was taken in by Exeter St John when he was four years old. Disgusted with the Misbegotten, Exeter kept him in a cage, fed him scraps and beat him for disobedience. Capricorn grew up in worse conditions than a mangy dog. Whilst Exeter was away for prolonged periods of time, Capricorn was locked in a cage in the basement and a servant would bring food and water once a day.

As the Misbegotten grew older, Exeter began to train him to fight. He brought in special trainers, paying them vast sums of money to keep quiet, and it wasn't long before Capricorn became the muscled monster he is today. At fifteen, Capricorn experienced his first street fight. Exeter had entered him in an illegal bout against four armed men. Capricorn won easily and became an instant hit with the illegal fight spectators. After that, Capricorn was entered into at least one fight a week with ever-increasing opponents. Capricorn beat them all.

Rumours of Exeter's dangerous Misbegotten "pet" began circulating and it wasn't long before he started using Capricorn to intimidate his peers, gaining respect from their fear.

Not long after Capricorn was seventeen, Exeter began using him in his interrogation work. Many officers were unsure of the methods but they couldn't deny it produced great results in a fraction of the time. One of Exeter's favourite methods was to give his pistol and sabre to the captive and just lock them in a room with Capricorn, who's only order was to "maim". That certainnly worked quickly.

Now, at the age of eighteen, Capricorn has had just over a year working on Navy airships and finds himself alone, caged in one of the darkest rooms of the Invincible, occasionally visited by Exeter for feeding or - more often - discipline.

It's probably important to note that Capricorn - due to the nature of him - would not be used in the RP as often as Exeter. Obviously he'd be around during battles and if other characters want to go visit him but my main character is Exeter. Also, if Exeter is accepted but people dislike the other sheet, I can remove that from Exeter's bio.

IFS

Mar 5, 2012
blaze96 said:
Well if not picking a violent shooter class and being a part of the empire are good factors then I guess I'm doing ok then. Good thing I love playing medic classes when possible.
I haven't counted but it seems to me like we have more mechanics than anything else, not many doctors though, HMS invincible characters are still outnumbered by Mermaid characters, but I don't think there is too terrible a shortage of them now. I'd say you stand a solid chance of getting in.

Hopefully my character having some leadership skills and being the only officer-type (aside from the captain I guess) on the mermaid will help me get in.

Evrant-Knight

An Interloper
May 5, 2010
Bristol
Country
United Kingdom
IFS said:
I haven't counted but it seems to me like we have more mechanics than anything else, not many doctors though, HMS invincible characters are still outnumbered by Mermaid characters, but I don't think there is too terrible a shortage of them now. I'd say you stand a solid chance of getting in.

Hopefully my character having some leadership skills and being the only officer-type (aside from the captain I guess) on the mermaid will help me get in.
Speaking of numbers, what is the current total for both ships?

IFS

Mar 5, 2012
Evrant said:
IFS said:

Speaking of numbers, what is the current total for both ships?
Just did a quick count, feel free to correct me if I miscounted.

Mermaid:15 (including the captain)

HMS Invincible:9

Either Or: 2

So yeah more pirates than anything else, although there is a decent number of imperial characters now.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
IFS said:
Just did a quick count, feel free to correct me if I miscounted.

Mermaid:15 (including the captain)

HMS Invincible:9

Either Or: 2

So yeah more pirates than anything else, although there is a decent number of imperial characters now.
I guess that Drustan is now an Imperial, unless nobody on the Invincible wants him there.

blaze96

Apr 9, 2008
Redryhno said:
snippy snippy snip
I'm not the "bite their head off" type. If I see something I think is a little off I'll mention it, but unless I got a M.D. I don't know about I'm not in a position to speak with any kind of authority.

As for the numbers on the ships, I guess I could really go on either seeing as I basically have two character sheets based upon whichever ship I may be wanted or needed on. Frankly I would love to play either version of the character, but if by some weird happenings I got both in I would have to change the name of samuel 2.0 or else I'm gonna be hoplessly confused lol.

IFS

Mar 5, 2012
blaze96 said:
Redryhno said:
snippy snippy snip
I'm not the "bite their head off" type. If I see something I think is a little off I'll mention it, but unless I got a M.D. I don't know about I'm not in a position to speak with any kind of authority.

As for the numbers on the ships, I guess I could really go on either seeing as I basically have two character sheets based upon whichever ship I may be wanted or needed on. Frankly I would love to play either version of the character, but if by some weird happenings I got both in I would have to change the name of samuel 2.0 or else I'm gonna be hoplessly confused lol.
No you don't, time travel exists in airship pirates so clearly they are just alternate timeline versions of the same person. Problem solved (or maybe just made more confusing).

*note: I don't really know how time travel works in this setting, only that it exists, or existed at some point.

blaze96

Apr 9, 2008
I'd rather change the name because having two characters with the same name would lead to some hilarious instances where Invincible Samuel says something to the non-existant Admiral of the Mermaid because I got the two characters confused.

IFS

Mar 5, 2012
blaze96 said:
I'd rather change the name because having two characters with the same name would lead to some hilarious instances where Invincible Samuel says something to the non-existant Admiral of the Mermaid because I got the two characters confused.
Clearly the solution is for them to be the same character in two places at once then! Think of the hilarity!

...or maybe just change the names like you said.

hiei82

Dire DM (+2 HD and a rend attack
Aug 10, 2011
blaze96 said:
You should make them twins. That way, when the two ships meet it will be very confusing to everyone else as well.

Tips_of_Fingers

Jun 21, 2010
After fun trip to A&E this evening I've finally managed to do my second character sheet. I'd appreciate people's thoughts and good luck to everyone in for the selection process which I assume is tomorrow?

blaze96

Apr 9, 2008
Yea I think I'll stick with my plan if by some unbelievable stroke of luck I happen to get both in. Though I'm far more worried about getting a character in as opposed to getting both in.

Texas Joker 52

All hail the Pun Meister!
Jun 25, 2011
Tips_of_Fingers said:
After fun trip to A&E this evening I've finally managed to do my second character sheet. I'd appreciate people's thoughts and good luck to everyone in for the selection process which I assume is tomorrow?
Figured I'd add to the luck-wishing when it comes to the selections. And, I have to admit, I'm really excited at the idea of this rp. If nothing else, its a neat concept, and should happen more often in the rp forums. Same goes for Homestuck rp's, but really, that's a given.

Still, can't wait to see if I'm hopefully accepted!

IFS

Mar 5, 2012
Texas Joker 52 said:
Tips_of_Fingers said:
Figured I'd add to the luck-wishing when it comes to the selections. And, I have to admit, I'm really excited at the idea of this rp. If nothing else, its a neat concept, and should happen more often in the rp forums. Same goes for Homestuck rp's, but really, that's a given.

Still, can't wait to see if I'm hopefully accepted!
Yes, more rp's like this would be awesome, I don't know much about homestuck though, my sisters read it and it sounds incredibly hard to get into. Apparently it involves trolls, a time travelling homocidal dog-bird-man with a sword, and some kid named John Egbert.

Anyways good luck to everyone.

Fiad

Apr 3, 2010
IFS said:
blaze96 said:
Redryhno said:
snippy snippy snip

No you don't, time travel exists in airship pirates so clearly they are just alternate timeline versions of the same person. Problem solved (or maybe just made more confusing).

*note: I don't really know how time travel works in this setting, only that it exists, or existed at some point.

Is actually a section in the time travel section of the Airship Pirates game book about that.

Meeting Yourself
It is of course possible that, due to a lucky roll and
the use of Fate Points, the PCs do manage to get to
a time where they already exist. If such is the case,
the GM should play the earlier versions of the PCs
as NPCs, trying to portray their actions as best he or
she can. If a player argues that ?my character wouldn?t
do that!? some negotiation may ensue, but the GM
always has the last word. It is, of course, the duty of
the GM to portray NPC versions of PCs as faithfully
as possible ? players have a lot of creativity invested in
their characters and seeing them portrayed badly can
be annoying. If you, as GM, doubt your ability to do a
good job, you can use the optional rule in the nearby
box.

3quency

Jun 12, 2009
Oh, I do have a submission for an Imperial character written up if we still need more.

They may have turned out a little larger-than-life in terms of villainy-ness.

hiei82

Dire DM (+2 HD and a rend attack
Aug 10, 2011
3quency said:
Oh, I do have a submission for an Imperial character written up if we still need more.

They may have turned out a little larger-than-life in terms of villainy-ness.
So the Imperial ship is populated by mercenaries, evil imperials, ex-pirates, thieves, and robots... Why does this sound like a sitcom in the making?

That said, I want to see it, because I like seeing crazy characters

Evrant-Knight

An Interloper
May 5, 2010
Bristol
Country
United Kingdom
Well, what I am seeing so far; looks like it will be a madcap ride filled with interesting characters.

Also Hiei, did you read that message I sent, and curious to hear your thoughts. But don't mention what it is.