After Arkham City, Rocksteady May Fly With Superman

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
Rocksteady wants to make a Superman game? We should be careful about this announcement. We just might get another...

Bucht

Apr 22, 2010
Hell yea a Captain Mar-Vell game would be awesome!
Wait who? What's a Shazam?

Nuuu

Jan 28, 2011
I can only imagine this becoming a Spiderman 2 style sandbox game, or a Linear game in space.

Not looking forward to either.

Feb 13, 2008
Jbird said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
.emag ydaetskcoR a ni raeppa ot yppah eb dluow annataZ erus m'I
Deerga. Tub uoy dluohs wonk taht reh secnetnes t'nera nekops sdrawkcab; ylno eht sdrow.

/dren
.yrt a htrow eb attog s'ti neht ,cigam yb emoc seires annataZ eht ekam ll'ti ecnahc a s'ereht fi tub ,eurT

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
Doing a Superman video game? Someone's getting cocky.

But if there's anyone who can do it...

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
YES :D

Make it happen Rocksteady, then make your way through there the rest of the Justice Leage.

TheEnglishman

Jun 13, 2009
I like the sound of that, it'd be nice to take a break from Batman because at times he can become quite boring. He's invulnerable basically, always being able to take down increasingly bigger and better opponents through gadgets or random knowledge he pulls out of his arse at times. AA handled it really well and I'm guessing AC will, but Batman is really open to abuse.

There are a lot of other DC Heroes who deserve a game, and Superman is awesome.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Because of their excellent previous work I'm willing to give any new game of theirs a chance, but I'm still wary. A big part of why Arkham Asylum was so great was the stealth component (which was, in turn, well-balanced with combat) and the frequently oppressive atmosphere. I don't see either of these things happening in a game built around Superman or Green Lantern... though I have no doubt Rocksteady would make the combat totally kick ass.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
They should do Marvel superheroes, maybe tie ins to the films, instead of DC. That'd be pretty funny.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Fox242 said:
What makes Batman great are two things: he has no powers and he has the greatest rogues gallery in the history of all media.

Superman is too superpowered and doesn't have as many recognizable villains to be able to translate into something as great as Rocksteady's Batman games.
You mad?

Lex Luthor? Brainiac? Metallo? The Parasite? Freakin' Darkseid?!

Hell, you don't even need to use a huge amount of villains to have a good game. What looks to be Arkham City's biggest downfall is the fact that it's packing pretty much every Batman villain into a single story.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
I can't really see how this would work. Prototype was far too easy to begin with, so Superman would be.. yeah.

Unless they add an interesting mechanic that makes sense in the context of the character and plot, of course.

mikeybuthge

Apr 28, 2010
Why does Superman have to be the hero though, why can't you do a game where he's the villian? It's been done before in comics with Batman inventing synthetic kryptonite, but why can't that kind of game work?

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
4173 said:
BrotherRool said:
I just don't see Superman that way, I mean they would have to work hard just to find a way that you can actually die in the game (when other civilains die?) and there doesn't seem to be the same challenges that the dude has to overcome
Start with fighting Doomsday, then work their way through Aopoklips and Darkseid and end with the Anti-Monitor.
So a game of purely boss battles? Without the scenery amazment of Shadow of the Colossus?

GiantRaven said:
Fox242 said:
What makes Batman great are two things: he has no powers and he has the greatest rogues gallery in the history of all media.

Superman is too superpowered and doesn't have as many recognizable villains to be able to translate into something as great as Rocksteady's Batman games.
You mad?

Lex Luthor? Brainiac? Metallo? The Parasite? Freakin' Darkseid?!

Hell, you don't even need to use a huge amount of villains to have a good game. What looks to be Arkham City's biggest downfall is the fact that it's packing pretty much every Batman villain into a single story.
I recognise one of those and he doesn't particularly impress me at that. Of the Batman villains (despite me not following Batman either), I'd recognise at the very least Riddler, Joker,Poison Ivy, Catwoman (Where-ever you place her) and since the successful movies you can add Scarecrow, Two-Face, Raz-Ghul (ish), Penguin, Bane, Harley Quin. And all I've heard of those dudes impresses me.

Maybe if the next Superman movie is a success it'll expand common knowledge of superman villains but at the moment I would say to a non-fan Lex Luthor is the only one people would know and they wouldn't think of him like they'd think of the Joker

EDIT: Oh my gosh how could I forget Mr Freeze? 'You know what killed the dinosaurs? The Ice Age!' Unfunny and factually incorrect :D

Hollock

Jun 26, 2009
captain marvel would be pretty cool, you could switch between billy and cap wherever and have the marvel family on backup. Or you could tweak it a little and be black adam with world war three.
Or combine magical elements with detective stealth, Etrigan.
annataZ ,wonk uoy rO.

Apr 17, 2009
Why not go all out and make it a Justice League game? Like in Arkham Asylum where you could only get to certain areas with certain gadgets, now you need certain heroes. Need a wall smashing down? Looks like you need a character with super-strength like Captain marvel or Aquaman. Need to get across a wide area? Get Wonder Woman for flight, or super-speed jumps with Flash

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Pallindromemordnillap said:
Why not go all out and make it a Justice League game? Like in Arkham Asylum where you could only get to certain areas with certain gadgets, now you need certain heroes. Need a wall smashing down? Looks like you need a character with super-strength like Captain marvel or Aquaman. Need to get across a wide area? Get Wonder Woman for flight, or super-speed jumps with Flash
I would imagine the cost of development would skyrocket because of the sheer number of different playable characters, all of which would play in a completely different way.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
BrotherRool said:
I recognise one of those and he doesn't particularly impress me at that. Of the Batman villains (despite me not following Batman either), I'd recognise at the very least Riddler, Joker,Poison Ivy, Catwoman (Where-ever you place her) and since the successful movies you can add Scarecrow, Two-Face, Raz-Ghul (ish), Penguin, Bane, Harley Quin. And all I've heard of those dudes impresses me.

Maybe if the next Superman movie is a success it'll expand common knowledge of superman villains but at the moment I would say to a non-fan Lex Luthor is the only one people would know and they wouldn't think of him like they'd think of the Joker
Any character can be impressive if given the right writer. I'd recommend Morrison's new run on Action Comics to see a well written Lex Luthor.

You are correct that Superman's villains are a lot less well-known than Batman's, but he does have enough interesting ones that an Arkham Asylum style ensemble would work. Obviously it would be a lot larger in scope since the villains are the type that could destroy the entire planet but that goes with the Superman territory really.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
Why not get them to do some Marvel heroes? They should do Deadpool or Gambit