After Arkham City, Rocksteady May Fly With Superman

Justice4L

Aug 24, 2011
I want Rocksteady to make a SpiderMan game. SpiderMan is perfect for stealthy gameplay.

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
Sure, they should make a superman game. Hell, just make Superman Returns: Not Shit Edition. We may have a few more superhero sandboxes than we need but it's not like you can have too many.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
I don't think its even possible to make a good Superman game. The character is a walking/flying god. Unless they want to fill the villains up with ones that use magic or wear some piece of Kryptonite jewellery so the game would be a complete cake walk.

The reason why the other super-hero games are able to be good is the heroes are limited. It's the same problem for the Hulk. Limitless power renders fights pointless. This would also work in theory for Lobo as well, the comic book version of Duke Nukem.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
VoidWanderer said:
I don't think its even possible to make a good Superman game. The character is a walking/flying god. Unless they want to fill the villains up with ones that use magic or wear some piece of Kryptonite jewellery so the game would be a complete cake walk.

The reason why the other super-hero games are able to be good is the heroes are limited. It's the same problem for the Hulk. Limitless power renders fights pointless. This would also work in theory for Lobo as well, the comic book version of Duke Nukem.
Well that's not entirely true. The Incredible Hulk on game cube was really good.

PieceOfEden

Sep 4, 2011
Rocksteady has earned our faith ( or at least mine) to the extent of trying if it gets released. But somewhat unnnerving problems come to mind : Batman was a normal guy, a genuis expert martial artist, but still just a dude in a rubber suit. Any villians or henchman could potentialy kill him. I honestly cant think of a legitimate way to balance the game out.

Oct 30, 2010
BrotherRool said:
4173 said:
BrotherRool said:
I just don't see Superman that way, I mean they would have to work hard just to find a way that you can actually die in the game (when other civilains die?) and there doesn't seem to be the same challenges that the dude has to overcome
Start with fighting Doomsday, then work their way through Aopoklips and Darkseid and end with the Anti-Monitor.
So a game of purely boss battles? Without the scenery amazment of Shadow of the Colossus?
No, not just boss battles. My point was just to get Superman off world as soon as possible. They could even stay on Earth, as long as they have a sufficiently powerful invading force, but that may require as fully destructible city and a prohibitively large cast of vulnerable citizens. On Apopklips the set pieces can be more varied, and destruction less problematic (i.e we know Superman could get punched through concrete and steel, but not necessarily Apopklips concrete and steel).

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Screw those guys. I want The Flash.

The Flash would be like an awesome bullettime brawler thing. Or whatever.

jawakiller

Jan 14, 2011
Practically indestructible... That's the main problem. The second, more diverse powers then the entire X-men team combined. Laser beams, ice breath, faster then a speeding bul- ah, fuck that. Try faster then light, Flight, almost unlimited strength. He can survive more pressure then your run of the mill tank. Take that back, he can survive more pressure then your average planet. He can throw the fucking moon. He can see through almost anything. And he has only one real weakness. A piece of an obscure planet. That's it.

Won't work. Game protagonists can't be that op.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
I'm not that interested. Superman is boring, and overpowered.

Zing said:
Why not get them to do some Marvel heroes? They should do Deadpool or Gambit
I'd love to see Deadpool get his own game. If done properly, it could potentially be really awesome. Ultimate Alliance and Marvel vs. Capcom 3 aren't enough. I need more Deadpool in my games!

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
GiantRaven said:
BrotherRool said:
I recognise one of those and he doesn't particularly impress me at that. Of the Batman villains (despite me not following Batman either), I'd recognise at the very least Riddler, Joker,Poison Ivy, Catwoman (Where-ever you place her) and since the successful movies you can add Scarecrow, Two-Face, Raz-Ghul (ish), Penguin, Bane, Harley Quin. And all I've heard of those dudes impresses me.

Maybe if the next Superman movie is a success it'll expand common knowledge of superman villains but at the moment I would say to a non-fan Lex Luthor is the only one people would know and they wouldn't think of him like they'd think of the Joker
Any character can be impressive if given the right writer. I'd recommend Morrison's new run on Action Comics to see a well written Lex Luthor.

You are correct that Superman's villains are a lot less well-known than Batman's, but he does have enough interesting ones that an Arkham Asylum style ensemble would work. Obviously it would be a lot larger in scope since the villains are the type that could destroy the entire planet but that goes with the Superman territory really.
Oh i definitely believe that, I slipped into thinking about it purely from an outsider marketing perspective but then Arkhum Asylum advertised Batman more than the villains, sorry for that, the only problem there is that the larger scope means it's harder to think of why several should be in one game so I guess there;d be less variety

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
This guy needs a game. [http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/William_Batson_(Earth-S)] Seriously, one of the best costumes ever, great villains and best secret identity (and poster boy for childhood superhero escapism) ever.

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
Screw Superman, by default he's too powerful and too perfect. Got a problem? Throw it into the sun.

Give Captain Marvel/Shazam some love. Yeah he's powerful, but he's really a kid with powers GRANTED to him by magic. Who's to say he can't be granted a little power at a time over the course of the game, or still learning them, there's your leveling system.

Though that Zatanna discussion is interesting, maybe make it like (a less than M-rated) Eternal Darkness.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
This is probably the best a Superman game is going to get...

http://achievementhunter.com/archive/?id=1942&v=more

Leave it to Rooster Teeth to make something bad, good.

Leave Supes alone, he is boring. How about a Wonder Woman game?

Agent_Dark

Oct 27, 2010
Wonder Woman. Seriously, just do a knock off of God of War and you're pretty much there. Greek Mythology has been tied to Wonder Woman since the late 50s, so fighting all sorts of mythological monsters and gods is perfectly in canon for her. Throw in a time-travel level to fight some Nazis and you're done.

Gameplay mechanics would work much better than Superman or Green Lantern too, if you want to keep them in canon. The Green Lantern power rings are supposed to be powered by the user's willpower to imagine anything into a construct of hard light. Except you'll always be limited to what you can 'imagine' in a video game, since you'll be stuck using whatever the devs have modelled and animated. Superman has all the problems of being 'too powerful' for a game - his only real 'common' weakness is against Magic, so unless every bad guy is some sort of mage or is throwing kryptonite rocks at him...

Wonder Woman though would work good. She's tough, but not invulnerable (ie translates well to a health system in a game). She's an expert martial weapons user (everyone loves swords), has a number of unique weapons (imagine using the lasso to pull in distant enemies and then stab then with a spear or something. Plus the Boomerang Tiara - everyone loves that in the Zelda games). And you can have the gauntlets used to block incoming projectiles like a lightsaber.

SirCannonFodder

Nov 23, 2007
Main problem as I see it : How are they going to keep the game confined to a single space? He can fly and he has super-speed. Unless they want to basically defeat the whole point and put up invisible walls, the player could just fly/walk out of any gameworld.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well, I don't really like the way they are treating Superman in comics nowadays, he's a character that doesn't need to be re-invented, and shouldn't be. Honestly he's one of the few real "goody goody" characters left who acts as a paragon and wins in the end, and without characters like this there really isn't a counterpoint to a lot of the darker, more "extreme" characters to cause them to retain meaning. If everyone is a shadowy vigilante, and no other approach is viable, then it ceases to be original and is just par for the course.

Right now I don't want to see a game "getting into what makes him tick" any more than I care for the current "re-launches" and bringing back Superman with a new "darker, more extreme, left wing attitude!"... which I hope like every other event leads to the status quo being restored.

Simply put it's the wrong studio to do it, and the wrong time to do it.

Truthfully, if they are going to do other super-hero video games I'd much rather see them play around with some of the less iconic properties, or maybe create a single player game where you can create your own hero within an established universe, I actually thought the whole "DC Universe Online" game would have worked *better* storywise if it wasn't an MMO and hadn't been designed that way from the beginning, if they had made that as a sandbox, and focused on adding more content to the game rather than the multi-player content that made it an MMO it would have been fairly awesome.

It also occurs to me that DC has the whole "Wildstorm" universe which is still kicking to play around with.

Also I'll admit that the whole "Justice League Heroes" game was a decent idea, but poorly implemented due to not really letting you use what characters you wanted for specific missions and so on. People are getting all excited about who might be alternate player characters in super hero titles, building a game enviroment where you can play through the missions as a diverse range of characters is not a bad idea either.

The basic point is that making a "Superman" game doesn't really appeal to me at the moment given everything that is going on.

Genixma

Sep 22, 2009
Alright so that's two people previously associated with Batman that are going to try and redo Superman.

Christopher Nolan and Rocksteady.