Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Review - Episode 17: Turn, Turn, Turn

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Review - Episode 17: Turn, Turn, Turn

The release of Captain America: The Winter Soldier now gives the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. the opportunity to unveil its biggest bombshell yet.

Read Full Article

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
Thanks for the heads up.

I just wish the episode had spoiler tags as well.

But a bombshell it was.

thetoddo

May 18, 2010
Pretty sure the bullets he shot hand with are coated in the same stuff they used to fake Fury's death in in CA: TWS. Coulson pulled him aside right before he volunteered to go to the fridge and he made a big show of even ejecting the (presumably real) bullets from his gun before firing, including the one in the chamber.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
This was the first episode where I've ever gone "That was good." Not like "Oh yeah, that was okay." or "Had some good moments, but..." it was just overall a good episode, and I'm really excited to see where it's going from here on out.

I'm super excited to see Patton Oswalt next week, I've been wanting him in the MCU for a while now, and I'm glad that he's an actual character and not one made up for the show. (the first thing he did when he got his character name was Google if the character was actually MODOK and if MODOK was the Clairvoyant. So Bob, Patton had the same theory you did lol)

WHY DIDN'T HE SAY IT!?!? That's gonna drive me nuts all week.

But yeah. All we can do now is wait until next week for the big two hour event...which I think means they're just showing us two episodes in a row.

So Bob, are you going to do two separate articles for each one, or just one big column that goes over both episodes?

jab136

Sep 21, 2012
Strain42 said:
This was the first episode where I've ever gone "That was good." Not like "Oh yeah, that was okay." or "Had some good moments, but..." it was just overall a good episode, and I'm really excited to see where it's going from here on out.

I'm super excited to see Patton Oswalt next week, I've been wanting him in the MCU for a while now, and I'm glad that he's an actual character and not one made up for the show. (the first thing he did when he got his character name was Google if the character was actually MODOK and if MODOK was the Clairvoyant. So Bob, Patton had the same theory you did lol)

WHY DIDN'T HE SAY IT!?!? That's gonna drive me nuts all week.

But yeah. All we can do now is wait until next week for the big two hour event...which I think means they're just showing us two episodes in a row.

So Bob, are you going to do two separate articles for each one, or just one big column that goes over both episodes?
the first episode will just be a rerun of this week's episode, the second will be the new one.

also I had the same theory that coulson told ward to fake join hydra, but I really am not sure, all these plot twists make my brain hurt. I am really glad I watched TWS last weekend so I knew what was going on this week.

jabrwock

Sep 5, 2007
thetoddo said:
Pretty sure the bullets he shot hand with are coated in the same stuff they used to fake Fury's death in in CA: TWS. Coulson pulled him aside right before he volunteered to go to the fridge and he made a big show of even ejecting the (presumably real) bullets from his gun before firing, including the one in the chamber.
Fury was really shot by TWS, it was during the surgery they injected him with the heart-stopping stuff to fake his death. They wanted the WS (and Hydra) to think he had taken out his target. He still had the injuries when he shows up later.

Jan 12, 2012
jabrwock said:
thetoddo said:
Fury was really shot by TWS, it was during the surgery they injected him with the heart-stopping stuff to fake his death. They wanted the WS (and Hydra) to think he had taken out his target. He still had the injuries when he shows up later.
That doctor even makes a point of listing off his numerous injuries, including spinal damage and a perforated lung.

OT: I really liked the episode, and still hold out hope that Zola (or someone else higher up) is actually the Clairvoyant; Garrett is a decent mole, but he's just not smart enough to be the mastermind. Heck, maybe the Clairvoyant is actually someone like M.O.D.O.K. or The Grandmaster; after all, I doubt Zola stayed in that ancient computer willingly.

jabrwock

Sep 5, 2007
So here's the question, is Garrett the Clairvoyant? Or was he programmed to *think* he was? Is he another red herring?

thetoddo

May 18, 2010
Not saying they weren't real bullets, but they never said how much of that stuff you need in you to get the heart arresting effects. Would have been a desperate plan, but I can't imagine Coulson letting the clairvoyant just rot in a cell without even an interrogation.

thetoddo

May 18, 2010
jabrwock said:
So here's the question, is Garrett the Clairvoyant? Or was he programmed to *think* he was? Is he another red herring?
I'm fairly sure it's Zola, and given that the "self-rewriting encryption" flash drive was plugged into public computers in Winter Soldier I'm willing to bet Zola managed to jailbreak himself and move to the internet. He may end up being Ultron.

capcha: Take Live TV Anywhere- Well Zola IS a living TV, so I think he's on to me... tell my wife I love h

jab136

Sep 21, 2012
In response to everyone talking about the drug that Fury was injected with, I have a theory that he actually died and was injected with another sample of the healing serum already used on skye and coulson. Fury was up and moving pretty well way too soon after those injuries, also I get the feeling his eye was healing and that is why the retinal scan worked on his bad eye. He wouldn't have told cap or Black widow since that could give them suspicions about coulson and then they would know that he was actually alive.

jabrwock

Sep 5, 2007
thetoddo said:
Not saying they weren't real bullets, but they never said how much of that stuff you need in you to get the heart arresting effects. Would have been a desperate plan, but I can't imagine Coulson letting the clairvoyant just rot in a cell without even an interrogation.
Except that implies that TWS was in on Fury's plan to fake his own death.

Remember this is the Fury who gave himself TWO retinal accounts in case the main one was compromised. It wouldn't surprise me if he had a few trusted agents on the medical staff who had contingency plans in case the Director was gunned down. If he's been shot, something serious is going on, and it's better to disappear in plain sight.

jab136

Sep 21, 2012
jabrwock said:
I am pretty sure "The Clairvoyant" is a made up figure and that it was just a cover for HYDRA agents within SHIELD

jabrwock

Sep 5, 2007
jab136 said:
I get the feeling his eye was healing and that is why the retinal scan worked on his bad eye.
I assumed he had two accounts, one matching his regular eye, and one matching his damaged one. That's why they didn't shut the 2nd one down, they didn't know it was his, because he never used it.

thetoddo

May 18, 2010
jabrwock said:
thetoddo said:
Except that implies that TWS was in on Fury's plan to fake his own death.

Remember this is the Fury who gave himself TWO retinal accounts in case the main one was compromised. It wouldn't surprise me if he had a few trusted agents on the medical staff who had contingency plans in case the Director was gunned down. If he's been shot, something serious is going on, and it's better to disappear in plain sight.
I'm not implying Bucky had coated or I.V. bullets, not sure where that's coming from. I'm saying that Ward completely changed out his ammo before firing and Coulson pulled him aside for a conversation the audience didn't hear just before Ward decided to go to the Fridge. I'm almost positive we're going to see that convo and it'll be Coulson explaining the plan after we have a couple episodes of thinking Ward is a traitor.

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
The best part about this episode was that I watched it at 5am yesterday on Hulu because they goofed and leaked it (without the "must have cable subscription" lockout that's normally on there).

Personally, one of my bugbears about comics is coming true in the MCU: no one ever stays dead. So I really hope Victoria Hand didn't just pull another fakeout. As cool as the character was and could be in the future, someone needs to freaking die and stay dead.

I think we're probably going to get SHIELD put back together, just not as the all-powerful bureaucratic entity it once was. It's probably going to become like the Howling Commandos were in WWII, an independent outfit that does what needs to be done against a dangerous subset of foes. That said, it's fairly obvious they're setting up for a long game here, there's so much more that I could see happening.

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
I think agent Coulson was originally a Hydra agent which director fury found out and why he brought him back to life to interrogate him and subsequently erase his memories and change his loyalties.

That is why the Clairvoyant, which I think it's the person with access to the algorithm Zola developed, needs to find out where Coulson stands now so it could better calculate the future as Coulson being an unknown is an anomaly to the algorithm's programming.

After scanning Coulson's brain the Clairvoyant found out that Hydra's secret is in danger and that Fury knows too much so he makes the first move by preemptive striking shield which brings us the captain america 2 and the story so far.

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
Oh boy...

Oh god - Ward's turn at the end? His allegiance is so much up in the air right now. Is he infiltrating HYDRA? Is he really turning? Oh gods

Darklord008

Dec 14, 2011
This was a great episode, in my esteemed opinion. Good tie-ins with the movie, lots of twists and turns, even if some were a bit obvious after a while, and some nice action scenes.

Also, this is a little thing, but I LOVED the replacement of the SHIELD logo at the end of the episode with the HYDRA logo. Nice touch.