Agents of SHIELD TV Series | Thoughts?

Crispee

Nov 18, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PerIAuv27SQ

I didn't see a thread about this yet, so I thought I'd make one.

So, it's a Joss Whedon-written TV series about members of superspy agency SHIELD that takes place in the Marvel Cinematic Universe/Avengers Films Universe. That alone makes me really excited, the trailer doesn't reveal a great detail but nonetheless it's getting my quite hyped up.

What does the rest of the world think of this development? Excited? Cautiously optimistic? Other?

Daft Time

Apr 15, 2013
I'm really happy too see Joss Whedon rock a television show again, but I wish it was something original. I'm not particularly interested in the Avengers universe to begin with either. That said, I'm sure I'll enjoy it. Even the worst of his shows - *cough* Dollhouse *cough* - was at least interesting.

Crispee

Nov 18, 2009
Daft Time said:
I'm really happy too see Joss Whedon rock a television show again, but I wish it was something original. I'm not particularly interested in the Avengers universe to begin with either. That said, I'm sure I'll enjoy it. Even the worst of his shows - *cough* Dollhouse *cough* - was at least interesting.
At least it's a nice compromise, it may be an existing Universe and concept, but it's all new characters besides Coulson. And even he was only introduced in Iron Man 1.

MrCollins

Power Vacuumer
Jun 28, 2010
I was going to watch it anyway, I'm kind of annoyed that the trailers spoiled a big reveal in the first episode.
Although, admittedly it did get me psyched for the show.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
That actually looks pretty decent. Something between heroes, 24 and an 80s cop series. I would give it a shot.

ClockworkPenguin

Mar 29, 2012
I read a summary/teaser which made me think it was going to be another warehouse 13 type show. Perfectly watch able, but a bit naff. Pretty much the whole cast where described as 'genius' or 'brilliant' which all too often means that rather than writing intelligent solutions to problems, they'll just go "and then the cast genius the problem away, don't worry audience, you only think its a plot hole because you aren't a genius, but trust me, they totally solved it all'.

Then I remembered its by Joss Whedon, so it'll probably be pretty good.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Actually there was a thread about this a few days ago. Not to be pessimistic but is it just me or do the FX look a little cheesy? Direct-to-DVD cheesy? The production design looked surprisingly cheap. If Clark Gregg hadn't been in the teaser I would've raised the FAKE flag.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
It looks rather boring honestly.

Everyone around me says Joss Wedon will make it good but I have a truckload of doubts.

It just looks dull.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Johnny Novgorod said:
Actually there was a thread about this a few days ago. Not to be pessimistic but is it just me or do the FX look a little cheesy? Direct-to-DVD cheesy? The production design looked surprisingly cheap. If Clark Gregg hadn't been in the teaser I would've raised the FAKE flag.
Well it's made for TV. ILM did the effects for the movies, you're not gonna get that level of quality on TV. Not beyond the occasional major episode, anyway. Like the pilot episode (and as far as I know just the pilot episode) of Star Trek: The Next Generation. It just costs too much to do on a TV budget, which incidentally, is why we haven't seen much in the way of sci fi and fantasy outside of premium networks and the BBC in the last decade, and most of what we have seen has been pretty light on the effects.

GodzillaGuy92

Jul 10, 2012
Absolutely Nobody said:
Man, I don't know what it is, but somehow the character of Agent Coulson really grew on me after showing up for five seconds in each of the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies. His death in The Avengers was the emotional high point of the entire movie for me. I could totally go for a TV series where he's the main character.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
I don't know if it was a good move to have the entire main cast be original characters. I'm sure there's at least enough existing S.H.I.E.L.D. agents to form an ensemble cast.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
GodzillaGuy92 said:
Absolutely Nobody said:
Man, I don't know what it is, but somehow the character of Agent Coulson really grew on me after showing up for five seconds in each of the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies. His death in The Avengers was the emotional high point of the entire movie for me. I could totally go for a TV series where he's the main character.
Actually a lot of people including myself, really like Coulson and there was even a whole movement called: Coulson lives, to keep him alive.

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
So it's basically Torchwood but set in the marvel universe........hmm this could be good but on the other hand it could be mediocre $#@^%# I'll wait and see before I judge ^_^.

Whytewulf

Dec 20, 2009
I am actually looking forward to it.. Here is hoping it's good! A little ham, but not too much ham please.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
ClockworkPenguin said:
I read a summary/teaser which made me think it was going to be another warehouse 13 type show.
Now I want to see Artie and Coulson have words.

Also, let me fix that last line for you:

Then I remembered its by Joss Whedon, so it'll probably be canceled after a season.
Johnny Novgorod said:
Cheap effects may be the only way to make this work on any scale. Though I didn't think they were THAT bad. Networks are getting cheaper with time, and it's a little surprising to see this happen, period.

Gatx said:
I don't know if it was a good move to have the entire main cast be original characters. I'm sure there's at least enough existing S.H.I.E.L.D. agents to form an ensemble cast.
Probably also a cost issue. No-name characters are more easily replaceable when the invariable contract disputes come up (if the show lasts).

frizzlebyte

Oct 20, 2008
I suspect it will be great, but I also suspect that no one will watch it (EDIT: Besides me and the other Marvel/Whedon fans), and it will be cancelled after one season.

DRTJR

Aug 7, 2009
I hope right before some titanic threat eliminates the shield team, Squirrel girl beats it.