Agents of SHIELD TV Series | Thoughts?

GodzillaGuy92

Jul 10, 2012
TheDrunkNinja said:
Like I said, he didn't get his stride until his scenes in the Avengers, at which point he was almost the heart of the film, having some funny lines with his matter-of-fact delivery and being the familiar face that started this whole Marvel Avengers train with his silly Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division schtick.

If it didn't work for you or if you thought it was clumsily handled, well, as I said with my own experience, it was still damned effective based on everyone's reaction around me and subsequently the reactions I saw on the internet.
Well, that's all fine and dandy for you guys then, but it doesn't change the fact that the rest of us are still left grasping for a reason to be excited for Agents of SHIELD, which is the topic of the thread.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
GodzillaGuy92 said:
Well, that's all fine and dandy for you guys then, but it doesn't change the fact that the rest of us are still left grasping for a reason to be excited for Agents of SHIELD, which is the topic of the thread.
Indeed, that's also fine and dandy. Really, so many people only took issue with your comment because of the "Absolutely Nobody" generalization, facetious intentions or not. There's no issue with your opinion as it is.

Sandernista

Feb 26, 2009
Copper Zen said:
Does anyone else wonder if the super human black guy in the trailer is Luke Cage? o_O
It's not. It's Rage, and I'm extremely disappointed. We could have had a Heroes for Hire tv show (or in my best dreams, a feature length film)!

I can see Marvel using this series to introduce lesser known super heroes to people's attention and then including said characters in their movies. That would make a lot of sense given that they can't do in depth intros on every super hero/villain in the Marvel universe in their movies without the risk of bogging down the movies.
That's what I'm hoping they'll do, especially as phase 3 comes up they'll have to step up the HYPE.

gxs

Apr 16, 2009
Scott Rothman said:
It looks exactly like Heroes...like, exactly.
Actually it looks exactly like the show Alphas. And I do mean exactly.

Cookiegerard

Aug 27, 2009
To be perfectly honest, it looks meh. I reckon the first season will go through, be alright but everyone will say it is amazing because anything Joss Whedon touches is instantly gold. The second season will come out, be crap and everyone will turn against it like everything else on the internet, tv or in the cinema that isn't constantly good.

Nothing really happened in the trailer, or the extended trailer to peak my interest. It looks like every other crime show on the tv, except with a Marvel twist. I liked most of the Marvel films that cam out recently but the show just doesn't feel like the movies.

Maybe when more information comes out, or if I watch the first episode when it decides to grace Ireland with its presence, but until then, I don't really care.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Looks kinda average, but looks can be deceiving, will be keeping an eye on this one.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
I'd be interested in watching this to see how it goes.
Unfortunately I don't live in the US and I don't have satellite TV so I don't really have a way of watching it. All I can really do is hope that episodes get leaked onto YouTube or something.

Scott Rothman

Feb 2, 2012
gxs said:
Scott Rothman said:
It looks exactly like Heroes...like, exactly.
Actually it looks exactly like the show Alphas. And I do mean exactly.
I mean, it's probably more Super Hero shows all share thematic elements. Just stylistically, the way it was shot and a lot of the music, made me feel like I was watching a trailer for a new season of Heroes.

Dr. Doomsduck

Nov 24, 2011
knight steel said:
So it's basically Torchwood but set in the marvel universe........hmm this could be good but on the other hand it could be mediocre $#@^%# I'll wait and see before I judge ^_^.
Yes! Torchwood + Whedon + Marvel = a risk worth taking! As long as it avoids being Miracle Day, I am here for this shit!

BlindTom

Aug 8, 2008
Eliwood10 said:
HA;SDJFH ASDKJ HASLDAWOEIJFLA SDFLJKA S;DLFHA;KWEAH F;fjhA;DLHF AHSKLDFAH KSJDFWOIRU ASDJFAL EJFASLDHHEFAKLS VNAOWH A;OWIEARUV!!!

I'm excited. Whedon's back on TV, Coulson lives, Gunn from Angel is back (I know he's not really Gunn, but it's the same actor and he'll always be Gunn to me). This is going to be fantastic.

GodzillaGuy92 said:
Absolutely Nobody said:
Man, I don't know what it is, but somehow the character of Agent Coulson really grew on me after showing up for five seconds in each of the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies. His death in The Avengers was the emotional high point of the entire movie for me. I could totally go for a TV series where he's the main character.
Speak for yourself, man. Coulson was the breakout character of the Marvel movies. If you doubt the badassery that is Agent Phil Coulson watch this:

Bullet time, flat characterisation, and product placement are now badass.

Bertylicious

Apr 10, 2012
I reckon it has a good chance of being pretty good; Joss is pretty good with making you care about his characters and I like his vision. Also he seems to have learned that spanking a load of money is a good way of getting cancelled.

Kristian Fischer

Aug 15, 2011
Coulson died heroically in Avengers. Now he's back, making his death meaningless.

Hollywood doesn't do heroic death any more, and that annoys me.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
First thing first, it look like those who theorise/ believe in the whole "Life Model Decoy" (look it up, it's a proper thing in Marvel universe) are padding themselves in the back.

Anyway I have high hopes for it just as long they do make some reference to Marvel stuff and aswell having comicbook SHIELD agents in the live screen. In saying so I can easily seeing it being a flop so the more reason why I hoped it's sucessful.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
I'm looking forward to it. To me, it looks like it'll be a lot like "Heroes," only without going flaccid because of the writers' strike.

The only thing I'm annoyed at is Coulson's resurrection. I have never understood why so many fans like him. At best, he's an uninteresting character. At worst, he's annoying. His being brought back to life is nothing but fan-service and I don't approve.

Then again, it's not like Joss Whedon had my complete adoration. I like his work better than most others, but he's definitely done some that I thought was of poor quality. Looking squarely at you, Dr. Horrible.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
I know it's ridiculous to complain about retconning in a comic-related thing but Colson not being dead kind of cheapens the last half of the Avengers.

leviticusd

Mar 19, 2009
Copper Zen said:
Does anyone else wonder if the super human black guy in the trailer is Luke Cage? o_O

I can see Marvel using this series to introduce lesser known super heroes to people's attention and then including said characters in their movies. That would make a lot of sense given that they can't do in depth intros on every super hero/villain in the Marvel universe in their movies without the risk of bogging down the movies.
This is what I see. This is a place to try out characters before seeing if they are worth the investment on the big screen. They can test out lesser known characters to gauge fan reaction, or try out some of the other Avenger characters that might not stand so well on their own. Ant-man comes to mind. I'm not a comic book guy so I don't really know much about him except he was an original avenger (I think) and I can't really see myself getting too excited if a character with that name got his own movie.

However, you develop a cool concept for him, introduce him in this series, people get it, like it and bam, you have another movie from this cash cow.

tahrey

Sep 18, 2009
I'm thinking of it this way:

It's basically "Men in Black: The TV Show". So in other words, a slightly more chopsocky, less hard sci version of the X-Files.

Think about it.

And of course, you're free to love, hate, or be "meh" about the idea as much as you want. But I'd definitely give it a shot. There's always room in my heart for a cast of Badass Normals inamongst all the supers. And Whedon's quite good at that sort of thing; even in Buffy, only a few members of the gang actually had anything supernatural or otherwise "extra" going for them (enhanced strength and agility; not-particularly-impressive witchcraft; lycanthropy or vampirism that was more annoying than beneficial; part robot, but running off floppy discs...), and it was usually fairly limited and still left them vulnerable in all the other areas. It was little more than an excuse to set up the story in the first place, have a bit of action to break up the episode, and occasionally go off on a complete tangent to everyday reality, in between all the more sitcom type banter that is his hallmark. From what I saw of Firefly, it didn't have ever so much in the way of supers other than River's "engineered killing machine" traits and a couple of the bad guys being just so amazingly evil it was hard to even resist them. It's main "thing" was it was in the future, in space. People still loved it.

And who knows, it might be the SCPesque TV show that Warehouse 13 should've been but couldn't quite manage as it tried to be a little too funny and play up the "its like X-Files but not as serious" side of it, right down to the mismatched guy/girl team who start to crush on each other but never quite see it through.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
Kristian Fischer said:
Coulson died heroically in Avengers. Now he's back, making his death meaningless.

Actually, now it's exactly like the comic book industry: characters only stay dead for however long is necessary until writers resurrect them. Standard fair at this point.

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
TheDrunkNinja said:
Kristian Fischer said:

Actually, now it's exactly like the comic book industry: characters only stay dead for however long is necessary until writers resurrect them. Standard fair at this point.
You know, the fan theory that Coulson didn't die but Fury used his apparent death as a catalyst to the rest of the Avengers doesn't really cheapen the Avengers to me. Instead it adds a whole new layer for me. Of Fury being a manipulative prick.

Also anyone who knows Whedon knows he knows how to do heroic death... you know? It's just that this particular case it was him messing with us.

wolf thing

Nov 18, 2009
kind of has a up beat xfiles look to it. might be quite good, but from i have seen of Whedons work, which is mainly fire fly and avangers, his character seem to spont nothing but one liners to the point were the character become interchangeable, not to mention it reduce the story down some. but despite that i like firefly and the avengers so ill check this out.