Agents of SHIELD TV Series | Thoughts?

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:
Gatx said:
I don't know if it was a good move to have the entire main cast be original characters. I'm sure there's at least enough existing S.H.I.E.L.D. agents to form an ensemble cast.
Probably also a cost issue. No-name characters are more easily replaceable when the invariable contract disputes come up (if the show lasts).
I think he means untouched S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents from the comics, like Clay Quartermaine. That said, I'm glad they're doing Original Characters, though I would've loved to see Bobby Morse.

Eliwood10

Feb 4, 2013
HA;SDJFH ASDKJ HASLDAWOEIJFLA SDFLJKA S;DLFHA;KWEAH F;fjhA;DLHF AHSKLDFAH KSJDFWOIRU ASDJFAL EJFASLDHHEFAKLS VNAOWH A;OWIEARUV!!!

I'm excited. Whedon's back on TV, Coulson lives, Gunn from Angel is back (I know he's not really Gunn, but it's the same actor and he'll always be Gunn to me). This is going to be fantastic.

GodzillaGuy92 said:
Absolutely Nobody said:
Man, I don't know what it is, but somehow the character of Agent Coulson really grew on me after showing up for five seconds in each of the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies. His death in The Avengers was the emotional high point of the entire movie for me. I could totally go for a TV series where he's the main character.
Speak for yourself, man. Coulson was the breakout character of the Marvel movies. If you doubt the badassery that is Agent Phil Coulson watch this:

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
Does anyone else wonder if the super human black guy in the trailer is Luke Cage? o_O

I can see Marvel using this series to introduce lesser known super heroes to people's attention and then including said characters in their movies. That would make a lot of sense given that they can't do in depth intros on every super hero/villain in the Marvel universe in their movies without the risk of bogging down the movies.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
It's Joss Whedon.

The only way I could be more psyched about a TV series is if Firefly was back on air :D
I agree with this, and what would be the same answer for the majority of this thread.

Thanks Daystar!

TheLogicalGamer

Sep 7, 2011
Quick question, who owns the live-action TV rights to say... Spider Man or the Fantastic Four at the moment? Is Marvel taking advantage of a loophole in the rights issue, or can they even do that legally?

Aetera

Jan 19, 2011
As a HUGE Joss Whedon fan and a big Marvel fan, I'm really excited about this. I can't wait!

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
piinyouri said:
It looks rather boring honestly.

Everyone around me says Joss Wedon will make it good but I have a truckload of doubts.

It just looks dull.
I honestly don't get why people love him so much. Everyone always raves about his writing but from what I've seen, it's been fairly mixed in quality.
Alien Resurrection was terrible.

Serenity was above average sci-fi but not amazing like so many people seem to think.

Cabin in the Woods was fun but the only real twist was that the horror movie wasn't scary at all (seriously, you can't call it a twist if they give it away in the beginning of the film). Plus, the "screw the world, let's get high" ending was really stupid.

Avengers was a good popcorn movie but it wasn't even that much better than the first Transformers movie... It was a fun watch but as soon as you start actually thinking about it, the plot holes start looking rather massive.

Doctor Horrible's Sing-Along Blog is probably the only thing I've seen from him that I consider to be truly awesome but I feel like that had more to do with NPH being great than Whedon.

I'm sure I'll watch the first few episodes of the show to give it a chance but I don't really have high hopes.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
The line in the preview about "...it means someone really wanted our initials to spell out 'shield'" suggests to me that Whedon has the leeway to take the Marvel universe with a certain amount of tongue in cheek, of which I certainly approve. I don't watch a ton of television- especially from the original network big-3 these days- but I'm hopeful it will be sharply written and worth watching. Perhaps I'll catch it on Hulu.

Roroshi14

Dec 3, 2009
Copper Zen said:
Does anyone else wonder if the super human black guy in the trailer is Luke Cage? o_O
I thought this too when I saw the trailer. I mean he doesn't really do anything, but fall from a high window, and Luke is The Indestructible Man. Which leads me to think that Iron Fist and Daredevil will be close to follow. Make like a tv avengers. Haha.

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
i'll wait and see if it has a puppet episode and/or amy acker role before i bother wasting my time on it

i just don't think anyone has been watching the super hero movies and thought "what this needs is less super heroes. that guy in the back ground there prolly has an interesting life"

Safaia

Sep 24, 2010
GodzillaGuy92 said:
Absolutely Nobody said:
Man, I don't know what it is, but somehow the character of Agent Coulson really grew on me after showing up for five seconds in each of the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies. His death in The Avengers was the emotional high point of the entire movie for me. I could totally go for a TV series where he's the main character.
Okay, maybe you, but I thought Coulson was a bad ass so thank for your opinion but don't push it on the rest of the world.

On topic: GIVE IT TO ME, GIVE IT TO ME NOW.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
In truth this kinda looks like go nowhere dud.

And I think it's a bad idea the way they're trying so hard to sell this as "Avengers: the TV show" because evoking any comparison between the Avengers and this is going to make the show seem low budget and small scale by comparison.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The amount of Marvel/Avengers being shoved down our throats in movies was already starting to tire me out.

GodzillaGuy92

Jul 10, 2012
Korten12 said:
Eliwood10 said:
Safaia said:
I see I've struck a nerve. For the sake of stemming more such reactions, I was actually already aware that Coulson had achieved breakout character status among a segment of Marvel movie fans; my post was a method of facetiously expressing the incomprehensible nature of this development. And I'm not saying any of you should have been able to figure this out yourselves, because in retrospect, I provided far too few clues to render it immediately obvious. Sorry for the confusion.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
GodzillaGuy92 said:
Nearly everyone I know that has seen the Avengers said:
Coulson was immediately likable from the word go, though he didn't become a real fan favorite until the Avengers and all the scenes leading up to his "death". Killing the guy who we've seen in every Marvel movie, that has been there every step of the way leading to the Avengers; yeah, that got an emotional response from the audience. I was there. I heard the gasps.

And now we have a series to focus on him and his dealing with other lesser known Marvel universe heroes, expanding the world the movies created which transcends its limitations as a single medium to something even more expansive? Um, hell yes!

GodzillaGuy92

Jul 10, 2012
TheDrunkNinja said:
Coulson was immediately likable from the word go, though he didn't become a real fan favorite until the Avengers and all the scenes leading up to his "death". Killing the guy who we've seen in every Marvel movie, that has been there every step of the way leading to the Avengers; yeah, that got an emotional response from the audience. I was there. I heard the gasps.
Welp, I guess that didn't work. Anyway...

The opening credits Marvel logo was in more pre-Avengers Marvel movies than Coulson. Notice how they never tried to tug the audience's heartstrings by introducing a subplot where it's defaced by a gang of graffiti-armed teenagers, to say nothing of subsequently giving it an entire TV series.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
GodzillaGuy92 said:
Welp, I guess that didn't work. Anyway...
Yeah I got up to speed after I posted my comment.

GodzillaGuy92 said:
The opening credits Marvel logo was in more pre-Avengers Marvel movies than Coulson. Notice how they didn't try to tug the audience's heartstrings by introducing a subplot where it's defaced by a gang of graffiti-armed teenagers.
Like I said, he didn't get his stride until his scenes in the Avengers, at which point he was almost the heart of the film, having some funny lines with his matter-of-fact delivery and being the familiar face that started this whole Marvel Avengers train with his silly Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division schtick.

If it didn't work for you or if you thought it was clumsily handled, well, as I said with my own experience, it was still damned effective based on everyone's reaction around me and subsequently the reactions I saw on the internet.