Air Force Might Be Troubled by PS3 "Other OS" Removal

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I can see Sony quietly agreeing to sell PS3s to the US military with no operating systems on them. Both sides win, we're none the wiser.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Simalacrum said:
Hooooooly crap.

Looks like Sony should have done their research before pulling the plug... I do believe the world's most powerful airforce is a little more of a "security risk" than a few hackers... :p
...Because the United States will declare war on Sony? I could have seen it happening, but luckily Bush isn't in the White House any more. And Labour is out of Number Ten so hopefully we wouldn't be dragged along with you anyway.

Seriously... I don't think Sony cares. Unless they made a PS3 research pack that cost enough to actually get them a profit, they don't have to do shit for America.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
dalek sec said:
Jokes aside is it really wise to mess around with the Air Force like this? And lastly could someone please tell me what this bloody "Other OS" thing is?
Recently Sony removed the ability to use other Operating Systems on the PlayStation 3. This was all standard by the way, and came included with the latest system update. If you had another OS on your PS3 then updated: Tough shit, Sony removed the OS.

Some gamers are bitching about this like there is no tomorrow, however I'll put money that in the EULA before they updated they mentioned that they reserved the right to remove the OS, and since just about no one reads those I'll bet they just accepted and and now bitching about their own stupidity.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
danpascooch said:
Jaredin said:
Ohhh! They picked a fight with the wrong people! Well, can see next action

"Sony HQ, Carpet-Bombed!"

Maybe they will listen to them more than us...
God I hope that happens.

How funny would it be if they just rolled in the jets and absolutely flattened Sony HQ.
I didnt know they had Jets and Bombers that could fly into Hell!
http://www.instantrimshot.com/

OT:I hope they figure something out.
How hard would it be to make an exception for USFA?

airwolfe591

Dec 11, 2009
dalek sec said:
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
I'll bet that Sony will make an acception with the USAF and make sure the the ones that went to the USAF stay out of the no other OS zone.
However if Sony couldn't do that I could also see them just making a specific type of PS3 for the USAF to keep that nice (and I'm sure very lucrative) deal with the USAF.
Ah hell, Carter and McKay can fix this on their own Frank. Rush and Eli would help out as well but they're stuck on Destiny at the moment.

Jokes aside is it really wise to mess around with the Air Force like this? And lastly could someone please tell me what this bloody "Other OS" thing is?
Other OS was an option to install another operating system, I believe Linux based, though I never used it myself, never really saw the point since i only bought the damn thing for games lol, though I do see back alley deal making happening, or it returning in another firmware update lol

TheRocketeer

Intolerable Bore
Dec 24, 2009
So I guess my infinitely wise and all-powerful employer, the USAF, might, from sheer necessity, become more adept at maintaining and engineering post-Cell technologies than Sony themselves?

I'd laugh my ass off if the USAF ends up co-developing the PS4. Or at least making a few games for the PS3, since they apparently use the damn things more proficiently than any game developers care to.

I mean, yeah, Valve might think that the PS3 is tough to work with, but tell that to an organization with a space program.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
I'll bet that Sony will make an acception with the USAF and make sure the the ones that went to the USAF stay out of the no other OS zone.
However if Sony couldn't do that I could also see them just making a specific type of PS3 for the USAF to keep that nice (and I'm sure very lucrative) deal with the USAF.
Nope, sony lose money on every console sold, which is why the price is so low. The make the money back on more expensive games and extras.

Coliumbos

Mar 15, 2010
Surely they already know the importance of PS3s in current world affairs...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgwNyb80L0s

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
johnman said:
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
Nope, sony lose money on every console sold, which is why the price is so low. The make the money back on more expensive games and extras.
Did you bother to read down further, or did you just hit the quote button?

As I stated earlier:
Even if Sony is loosing money by having the USAF buying their systems (which we established they are) do you know how awesome of PR this is?
Seriously if the USAF went to the press with some new development and said "Yeah the tons of PS3s we used helped us out with this, and saved you tax dollars" Sony would be thrilled, and I'll bet you PS3 sales would go up, even if it was just marginally.

This deal I'm sure isn't so much for making money as it is for some amazing PR. As they say in the business: "Any PR is good PR."

CloggedDonkey

Nov 4, 2009
well, they removed the "other OS" option to stop hacking, but it looks like the USAF just got a carpet bomb without a kill streak.

Okay, I'll go in my corner *goes into corner of shame*

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Aztek463 said:
This certainly is an interesting turn of events. I suppose a "whoops we screwed up" won't suffice this time around?
Nope, considering that would open them up to more lawsuits and would have to settle the current ones. Sony is in a corner now, and to maintain their business structure they will have to stand firm. I wouldn't expect a change on the Other OS option for a long time. Even for the Air Force.
Straying Bullet said:
Japan got bombed to hell by the USAF with friggin' atomic bombs, I don't approve of it but they should seriously now reconsider implenting it back. Face it, PS3 will be hacked no matter what Sony tries.

I hope they reverse it, some hurts around here are hurt because of the OS-removal. Glad I own a 360? xD
Actually the Army Air Force, as it was at the time, only delivered one bomb to Japan. The Navy delivered the other. Apparently both deliveries were more effecient than Brown and FedEx. Go figure.
Heh, if you ever want to see what happens when a corporation steers Japan to war, just read Debt of Honor by Tom Clancy. Good times.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
That's funny because I recall the Vatican getting all up in arms when they took away backwards compatibility. They said something about it being a sacrilege.

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
Yeah I never even really wanted to use the other OS, but I can see where people would be irritated by not having that freedom anymore. I could see them rectifying this by just giving the Airforce Ps3's with the other os option still enabled. Also, think of all those backwords compatable PS3's they probably have.

Furism

Sep 10, 2009
AstorSapolsky said:
I remember hearing somewhere that Sony is actually losing money by having the USAF buy all the consoles. Probably because they aren't buying any games, peripherals, nothing else to increase profit for Sony.
Sony can definitively put a price on the the free advertisement this gave them. Now of course it backfired, but when the USAF announced they used Sony consoles for a supercomputer, it gave Sony a nice marketing stunt free of charge.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
I doubt it. Sony's a japanese company. They don't owe anything to the US Air Force