Air Force Might Be Troubled by PS3 "Other OS" Removal

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
Bombers are en-route to Sony Headquarters as we speak. Run for your lives, Sony! Run!

Or reinstate the other OS option. That might be a good idea too.

Atomic Skull

Jan 7, 2010
Under US law military organizations have the legal right to circumvent DRM if necessary. So basically, the USAF could hack the PS3 if that is the only way to use them to build a super computer and Sony can't do a damn thing to stop them.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Protip: If your going to change a product in any way, make sure it won't negatively effect anyone that can send AA-1300 to blow your headquaters to tiny bits.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
The USAF will no doubt work out some kinda deal with Sony to keep the option enabled on PS3's that they use and receive. Besides someone put Linux on the original XBox [http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/Main_Page] and the Gamecube [http://www.gc-linux.org/wiki/Main_Page], both of which weren't supposed to have 'Other OS' options, so if Sony thinks this is going to stop people from putting another OS on anyway, their out of their minds.

Jed Petty

Mar 27, 2010
It's their console..They can do whatever they want to it. The air force doesn't control them either. Not like Linux is all that amazing anyway lol. Just saying.. it seems people will get up in arms about anything.. even though they do not have the right to do so...

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Oy vey, oy gavalt, Sony just can't get a break can they? There's always something to ***** and something to moan about with whatever they do!

Whatever, if they keep the "Other OS" feature removed so be it, though I would imagine them giving an exception for these guys.

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
Jaredin said:
Ohhh! They picked a fight with the wrong people! Well, can see next action

"Sony HQ, Carpet-Bombed!"

Maybe they will listen to them more than us...

We can only HOPE that they will Carpet Bomb Sony. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope the USAF kicks their butts.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
This seems to show that linux fans are far more vocal than PS2 back compatibility fans, and not much else, besides.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
I guess now the USAF will have to pay licensing for their hacked consoles - or maybe just employ skidrow ;)

angelrubio

Dec 31, 2008
I say Sony is thinking that those ps3's were sold at a loss so the air force can suck a big one since they don't buy any games for these consoles and therefore they make negative profit for Sony, a Japanese company BTW

Shadow XXVII

Apr 5, 2010
angelrubio said:
...they don't buy any games for these consoles and therefore they make negative profit for Sony, a Japanese company BTW
Probably not. The Air Force likely buys in such bulk that Sony will make a profit either way.

Cpt. Red

Jul 24, 2008
Shadow XXVII said:
angelrubio said:
...they don't buy any games for these consoles and therefore they make negative profit for Sony, a Japanese company BTW
Probably not. The Air Force likely buys in such bulk that Sony will make a profit either way.
Wait what? This doesn't make sense as it cost more for them to make them then what they are selling them for. So if they buy even more, without buying games, they would just lose more money.

A solution for Sony might be to sell the "Other OS" option for a price to make up for this gap. This way it could still be able to be used by researchers and they get to make money. Might not work perfectly as the would be pricer for "Other OS" might make it more expensive then other alternatives.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Suing? What the hell are they talking about? It's Sony's product, they have a right to remove the OS option.

Geez, buncha whiners. If the Air force wants PS3s with OS's, they should strike a deal with Sony to make unique PS3s that do this purpose. Good PR, good savings, and neither side would lose.

The money lost would be worth it for that good PR.

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
That's hysterical. I won't be buying a PS3 now, even though I had been contemplating it, simply because I have an obsession with buying things to throw Linux on. Hell, even my phone has a Linux based OS.

Lord Doomhammer

Apr 29, 2008
Country
United States
Oh my god that is hilarious.

As fun as it is to see people mad at playstation, I find it hard to fathom that the airforce cant hack the PS3 to force it to accept a new OS... or something. I'm sure its complex but these are the people who put satellites in space and fly fighter jets off of boats...

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I think its a brilliant idea to tick off the people with Predator Spy drones and Tactical Nuclear Weapons.

Its one thing to screw with your "valued" customers, but the Armed Forces are sore losers.