Akinator, the web genius who's developer must've been one very bored guy.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
McCa said:
What the fuck? It pulls Rainbowdash!?!?
That's nothing. It got Derpy Hooves in 12 questions!

TestECull said:
I can stump him all the time. All you have to do is ask him for a car. Like, say, a Chevy Camaro. He can guess famous Camaros from films, but he can't simply come out with "Chevy Camaro"
That's because it is designed to guess people and characters and whatnot. Of course it isn't going to get a car when it asks questions like "Is your character female?"

Xannieros

Jul 29, 2008
Took him 27 Questions to get Paxton Fettel from F.E.A.R. And 30 to get Maximillion from Evil Genius.

I bet I can stump it with a lot of things. Kinda fun.

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
It almost certainly builds Hidden Markov Models (Wikipedia has a decent, though perhaps overly technical article if you're interested) for the transition probability of each set of answers to a particular target. In such a case, all it needs is a database of target nouns and a large database of associated descriptors (question answers) to build the statistical models. It could index certain areas of Wikipedia for nouns and simply model the nouns as a function of descriptors in the articles (it would be especially easy to extract article groupings and standard sidebar information for certain sections) or even in Google searches for the term. At each step, it takes the path with the highest probability of yielding a definitive transition probability, which it eventually returns as the answer.

Alternatively, because I'm not sure how it was when it started, they got a huge database of targets, created a stock set of questions, and then presented them approximately at random to the first users and modeled transition probabilities from that with each subsequent user refining the model (in other words, the system self-optimizes). It's also very possible that they're using both models and adding their transition probabilities in some way.

The thing that often makes such systems so neat is that you can completely automate model building and, given a large enough data pool either from spidering or crowdsourcing, you can build extremely robust models that often prove surprising accurate to non-machine minds.

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
Macgyvercas said:
Daedalus1942 said:
Macgyvercas said:
HA! Got him with Lyzolda the Blood Witch (Ravinca block, specifically Dissenstion, of Magic: The Gathering).
And now it's in his Database, yes? You beat him? Now he's absorbed your information.
-Tabs<3-
Who says I told him what I was thinking afterwards, eh?
Oh hohoho!
You sly devil. Wish I'd thought of that >.>
Now it knows my secrets! eep!
-Tabs<3-

ninja51

Mar 28, 2010
You've got to be kidding me!!!!!! Rand al'Thor from the Wheel of Time Series. Got it in like 10 questions, this is rediculous!

It did not get Fletch from the film Fletch though, and I wont be filling it in ^^

qeinar

Jul 14, 2009
tryed using the character super meat boy.. it failed, guessed L-block from tetris.. ah no you can continue, it actually got super meat boy on it's 30th question.

also got gintoki from gintama pretty fast.. kaiji in 21.. gonna throw him a harder one now..

hmm it also got arsene lupin at around 30 ish..

wow were gonna use a norwegian person and it lucked out and asked if it was a norwegian character in the third question.. err ok this is kinda wierd it also after that asked me if he was european, and then if he was from the scandinavian area.. (which are both places norway is in..) and now it asked me if it's swedish? wtf.. also it sugested "reodor felgen" after i answered he was not associated with cars, which that character is in a huge way. also asking me if he is an animal after i've answered he was human.. and it's asked me if the character is a father and if it got children a couple times.. oh my holy shit balls on 30 it got it.. it was "kjell" from a random norwegian comic which in the past year probably have gained some atention. that's pretty sick. : P (someone have played him before though so that may be the only reason..)

rofl was going with another norwegian cartoon char and it guessed "kjell" on the 12th question, wrongly tho, and wierdly since this time i answered it was someone with a kid.. well defeated him with this one. :D viggo from the cartoon magazine with the same name. it's an older cartoon.

Kleatus

Nov 30, 2008
It got Binky (DEATH's horse in the Discworld novels for the uninitiated and by extension, unfortunate).

I give up.

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
That was awesome.

I thought of Hexadecimal from ReBoot, it's first guess was Medusa, but it got it right the second time.

reddfawks

Jul 29, 2010
Alright, to sum up so far, he correctly guessed:

Robin Hood
Giygas
FACE (Yume Nikki)
Blaine (Glee)
Edward "Spoony Bard" (FF4)
Clive (LittleBigPlanet 2)
Sheldon Cooper (Big Bang Theory)
The Katayanagi Twins
Emil (Nier)
Boney (Mother 3) Though at first he guessed the "Duck Hunt" dog
King (Cave Story)
Drowned Ophelia (Brutal Legend)
Luka "Cheshire" (Bayonetta)
Pascal (Tangled)
Caterpie
Derpy Hooves
Charlie Nash (I knew he knew when he asked if the character was dead and I said "I don't know")
Denmark (Hetalia)

And he didn't get:
Tepeu (Majin & The Forsaken Kingdom)
Bebedora (Arc The Lad)
Ruffgar "Ruff" Brookback (Redwall's "Lord Brocktree")
Arty (De Blob)
Burger & Fries (Angry Youtube cat)
Livane (Folklore)

Alright, I gotta stop this.

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
I did Master Cheif and then Zoey. It thought of both!

How it knew I was thinking of Zoey I don't know, that's crazy.

qeinar

Jul 14, 2009
after running trough a few character i've noticed it's got some flaws, even after asking if it's a woman, and i say no and then asking if it's an adult man to which i say yes it still comes out with a woman as a answer.. well in the end after 30 questions it still pulled trough and answered charlie kelly from it's always sunny in philadelphia..

Blatherscythe

Oct 14, 2009
I beat him using the Old World Blues Toaster and Chief Hanlon of Fallout: New Vegas! Fun little distraction, little animated genie knows his dictators and their misteresses.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
It looks like it went down to the wire, but it got the Sandvich from TF2. I am impressed