Akira Movie's Engine Still Revving

Billion Backs

Apr 20, 2010
I'd like to find whoever thought remaking cartoons into live-action movies was a good idea and fucking do bad things to them, preferably with cartoon physics of some kind involved.

If something's already done well in animation, don't fucking do it live-action. Just, don't. Akira is a masterpiece, but it's not like you couldn't simply take a similar story and go through with it.

Also, the Captain Caveman live-action movie in 2020 is gonna be CRAAAAZY!
Not to speak of the Roadrunner trilogy! That's hardboiled crime fiction, man!

Ahem.

Oh, and if Hollywood produces it, I can guarantee they'll fuck up and make it a generic feel good story with shit ending. Unless one of the directors who're hardcore enough take it up. But they have their own unique ways of fucking shit up.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
This will get fucked up to high hell, in no way will this turn out good.

Billion Backs

Apr 20, 2010
AzrealMaximillion said:
Akira the book,was amazing. The movie was great until the last 40 minutes. Admit it everyone, the story just dropped.
Actually I found the last 40 minutes of the movie awesome.

They're so delightfully nihilistic if my memory serves right. That's what movies should be like.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
tautologico said:
"If done correctly", yes. The problem is that there are too many opportunities for screwing it up.
Well if it's anyone outside of Japan calling the shots, there's a 99.99% chance it'll be screwed up.

That goes for the Ghost in the Shell movie. I mean, they have SPIELBERG producing it! After how he destroyed Kubric's A.I., how could Production I.G. even think of given them the go ahead?

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
tautologico said:
"If done correctly", yes. The problem is that there are too many opportunities for screwing it up.
Quoted for truth. A 2-movie adaptation of the full, epic manga could POTENTIALLY be far better than even the classic movie, which barely scratched the surface of the original story (it came out well before the manga was even completed). The problem is, there's almost no chance that it won't be a total Hollywood fuck-up. As usual.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, lets hope it stays a prioirty...I hope they have done it well. Cant wait to see how badly (Or how well) that have transfered it into a real live action film

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
AzrealMaximillion said:
Akira the book,was amazing. The movie was great until the last 40 minutes. Admit it everyone, the story just dropped.
Yes, but that's the beauty of the live action retelling being split into 2 films. We can watch the first (good) one and then ignore the second (daft and dull) one.

soapyshooter

That Guy
Jan 19, 2010
Horny Ico said:
Besides, if Warner Brothers is willing to make two movies out of it, they're just as willing to make each movie over three hours long.
That's not gonna happen. "Over three hours long" hahahahahaha. Quit while you are behind and not too far behind. No movie that long will appeal to critics or audiences and Warner Brothers is a business and the point of a business is to make money. They won't be making much money with a movie that long because no one will put up with it. And what exactly makes you think I didn't read the article? or do you just like being a dick?

soapyshooter

That Guy
Jan 19, 2010
Horny Ico said:

Ugh, I still don't see your point. I said there is a good chance it will be bad and that got you pissed. If I had only known you were that big of a fanboy, maybe you should make a new account with the name "Horny for Akira". Just keep calling me a troll, dick, wagging dick, tell me to starve and die...whatever. I won't stoop to your childish level. I'm done with this conversation.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
Low Key said:
I'd much rather see a live action Cowboy Bebop movie.
No you don't. Spike was going to be played by Keanu Reeves.

The only was this movie would work in any way is if Ridley Scott jumps on board and has James Cameron on hand to throw out nerdy ideas. As for condensing the plot, I thought the animated version did a sweet job. I'm not going to jump on the crisp spewing "I hope it don't get made!" train. But I know it's going to be generic and by the numbers even if it is good. I don't see the logic in taking an IP and re-making it. Better to just copy the fuck out of the idea and not worry about offending the Manga freaks. I doubt many mainstream movie goers even know about Akira as a brand. Give me futuristic bikes fighting in a dystopian futuristic city.....wait a minute