Aliens: Colonial Marines Sales Prove Bafflingly Massive

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
SonOfVoorhees said:
Also the fact the Borderlands people had a hand in the game people thought it would be good. You wonder if they poured the devs money from both ACM and DNF into Borderlands 2.
Gearbox had a hand in it? No, up until it turned out to be shit they were listed as the devs and god damn Pitchford was hyping it no end. As soon as it turned out to be shit they tried to shift the blame to TimeGate and make themselves look good and went crying about how they had contracted it so it wasn't their fault. Which is disingenuous to the highest order and actually just underlines that Gearbox can't manage a project on their own and clearly didn't give a shit, despite Pitchfords hype.

If anyone deserves to go bust in this it's bloody Gearbox, not Time Gate. It was Gearbox on the box as devs. It was the same deal with DNF. Pitchford was all hype until it turned out they delivered a turd. Then they changed the tune and shifted the blame to 3d Realms and Bussard. That doesn't fly. It was Gearbox who put out the game in the state it was in. If they weren't happy with 3d Realms direction they should have remade it, fixed it or canned it. They don't get off free just because of Borderlands. Hell, they even outsourced the DLC for BL2.

At this point, I'm not sure why anyone thinks Gearbox is worth anything when it comes to game design.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Gearbox, you know I love me some Borderlands yeah, but im starting to question your morales... I don't wanna have to take sides, I didn't give a toot about DNF or A:CM but your starting to really upset people.

Don't be that guy Gearbox, don't be that guy.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
teh_gunslinger said:
At this point, I'm not sure why anyone thinks Gearbox is worth anything when it comes to game design.
In their defense, they did a really good PC port of Halo ten years ago. It was better than Borderlands.

P.S. Thanks

Gregory Wollf

Jun 13, 2011
What happened?

Well, first of all lets make a distinction between the 'educated gamer' and the 'impulse consumer'. The 'educated gamer' is probably no more intelligent or educated than anyone else except when it comes to the sorts of games bought and the process used to to identify if and when a purchase is made. 'Educated gamers' are intentional in their gaming taste and will research a game before putting money on the table. The 'impulse consumer' would be everyone else from your unwashed masses to your gamers who simply buy a title without first of seeing if its any good.

My personal theory is that lots of people bought this game on impulse because it looked cool and there was high expectations for the title. Educated gamers waited for the reviews to come out... and promptly decided NOT to purchase it. They were, however, outnumbered by impulse consumers.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Gethsemani said:
I actually kind of liked A:CM... I suppose that makes me a bad person.
Yes, we're going to lock you up, you monster!

...Kidding. There's nothing wrong with having a differing opinion. Still, with all the outrage....

...Oh yeah, Michael Bay. And almost every EA game. It's almost like people buy stuff anyway.

Although....
Andy Shandy said:
Brand name + Pre-orders + Awesome looking demo (that wasn't representative of the final product) + Review embargo = Profit apparently.
Aaaaaand there you have it. The hat trick of gaming.

Though really, this should teach people a lesson. I'm wary of pre-orders, but any time a game has a lockout on reviews, maybe you should rethink your purchase, no matter how awesome the demo is.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
I maybe not be remembering correctly, but the A:CM debacle isn't why TimeGate closed at all. I was pretty sure that was because of a separate issue between them and another publisher. Which I read in an article on this site.

If this is the case and I'm not wrong, bad on you.

chiefohara

Sep 4, 2009
Meh,

I actually enjoyed the game, but mainly because of the franchise. I liked seeing the sets from the movie and using hudsons pulse rifle.

Mind you i was lucky enough to rent it and not buy it, also my expectations were low because of the fury on the internet... but despite the crappy bugs and dodgey mechanics i actually enjoyed it.

I plan to buy the game when its dropped to around a tenner.

cheshireman

Apr 2, 2013
Some people pay ridiculous amounts of money for "bad" things. After the Angry Video Game Nerd does a review of a horrible game, suddenly everyone wants to buy it just to see how bad it is. $60 to pique curiosity does not sound too uncommon.

porous_shield

Jan 25, 2012
bificommander said:
I've already seen A:CM's prized down heavily on GamersGate.com. It was a temporary discount of 75% IIRC. So not everyone payed 60 bucks.

Still didn't pick it up. I think I can get better games from 2 years ago for 10 bucks.
You can get far better games than Alien's Colonial Marine from closer to twenty years ago.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Just remember, there are people out there who think Twilight is a good movie /book.

People don't seem to have with the disturbingly religious connotations on Justin Bieber's fan base calling themselves 'Beliebers'.

As well as thinking making guns harder to purchase is a bad thing, there are people that fervently believe the world is either 6,000 years old or 2,013 years old.

I believe Agent K said it best in MiB, "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Subatomic

Sep 1, 2011
The article makes it sound like TimeGate went bankrupt because of ACM, when it fact it probably had little if anything to do with that game and much more with the lawsuit they lost against their publishing partner for Section 8, SouthPeak Interactive.

Aeonknight

Apr 8, 2011
Yes yes I pre-ordered the game and got burned. Apparently I'm not the only one, and thus warrants the massive rage of the people who got duped. Thanks for reminding me. Probably one of the few times I've been burned by a pre-order. But seeing as how I'm not a Borderlands fan anyway and Gearbox had no good will built up with me... this is the first impression I get from that studio?

Yea, done with Gearbox.

Weatherking

Jul 21, 2012
Calling Aliens: CM objectively terrible, whatever, someone can enjoy that game on some level. I enjoyed the first half or so of it, before I started to think about what was wrong with it. Then again, maybe I just have a knack for seeing everything I play in the best light, I love the Kane and Lynch games for example. An enviable trait I think, who wouldn't want to enjoy everything?

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Um, pre-orders, mostly. It isn't that complicated. 1.31 million isn't really all that high for a AAA-game (or at least, a game that was expected to be a AAA-game, as it had a AAA-license and AAA-development time.) Remember the weeping and gnashing of teeth that came with the news the new Tomb Raider "only" sold 3.4 mil?

Betwixt three companies, at least five years in development, and at least one lawsuit, 1.31 million sales isn't exactly looking like a jackpot pay-out.