Aliens: Colonial Marines Sales Prove Bafflingly Massive

Zanderinfal

Nov 21, 2009
WanderingFool said:
Is there anyway to figure out how many returns of the game there are? Cause I'm almost willing to bet that there would be almost 1.3 million in return copies of that game.
They didn't actually return alot of copies, if I remember correctly. There were some people who got it refunded but for the life of me I actually can't remember.

Ot: Yeah, it was the brand label that sold it. Combined with pre orders and you have a recipe for disappointment.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
MeChaNiZ3D said:
I wonder if they count returns as sales anyway.
It's very hard to return a game these days. Once its open, the most you could do is ***** enough to get $60 in store credit. At that point the publisher still get's their money and the game store loses nothing because they have a guaranteed sale from you to purchase another game. They get your money and get to sell your used copy of A:CM as a used game for more profit.

stabnex

Jun 30, 2009
Good lord, it took me 3 months to sell one dang copy of that game. I guess my customers all listen to the critics...

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
AzrealMaximillion said:
MeChaNiZ3D said:
I wonder if they count returns as sales anyway.
It's very hard to return a game these days. Once its open, the most you could do is ***** enough to get $60 in store credit. At that point the publisher still get's their money and the game store loses nothing because they have a guaranteed sale from you to purchase another game. They get your money and get to sell your used copy of A:CM as a used game for more profit.
Well, we definitely know they don't count purchases that were later regretted, so that's roughly the portion of buyers that returns would have covered.

Mar 26, 2008
I picked up Sonic and Sega All Star Racing Transformed for $50 brand new and it was worth every cent. It's not just a blatant Mario Kart rip off any more and the whole family could play it simultaneously.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
Probably a lot of them due to an awesome trailer and it being a Aliens game. Also, people trust Gearbox because the Borderlands franchise has gone down so well. Unfortunately, it didn't live up to these things (apparently, because I haven'y played it yet).

I don't know why it would be so freaking hard to make an Aliens like the AvP 2 crossover done by Monolith maybe a decade ago now. That game was unbelievable, so good each individual campaign, each captured what it's like to fight, move, and stalk (or be stalked) like the creature they are with the various abilities. Groundbreaking stuff for an FPS, something we are really lacking in at the moment. And the first decent implementation of the trademark Aliens motion tracker. Every encounter kept you on your toes.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Earnest Cavalli said:
It's undeniably a bad game, and yet 1.31 million of you decided to drop $60 on the title.

What the eff guys?
It's not that bad. It's just not particularly good either. Also, I only spent $10 on it and it entertained me enough for that amount. However, I feel for those that did waste $60 on it.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
WanderingFool said:
vansau said:
Thanks to the (admittedly brilliantly) duplicitous marketing campaign, I'm willing to guess a ton of people pre-ordered it. Now I'm willing to bet they spend a lot of time crying in the shower.
Is there anyway to figure out how many returns of the game there are? Cause Im almost willing to bet that there would be almost 1.3 million in return copies of that game.
0. you cannot return videogames.

porous_shield said:
bificommander said:
I've already seen A:CM's prized down heavily on GamersGate.com. It was a temporary discount of 75% IIRC. So not everyone payed 60 bucks.

Still didn't pick it up. I think I can get better games from 2 years ago for 10 bucks.
You can get far better games than Alien's Colonial Marine from closer to twenty years ago.
Moot point. you can get the best games from closer to twenty years ago.

The lesson to be learned here: maybe the retardation of per-ordering should finally stop?

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
Not many people read critics, no.

But if the game sucks, even if that game makes bank, customers may be reticent about buying from those developers in the future.

Korzack

Apr 28, 2010
It's called "Pre-orders" alongside the excessive marketing which you'd think people would've learned to treat with suspicion by now(Duke Forever had this problem as well), which also explains the huge black-lash on release. But hey, if you get 1.5M Pre-orders, those still count as sales.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I dunno, 1.31 million isn't that surprising for a game with the Aliens name attached to it.

Wouldn't surprise me if a lot of them were pre-orders, and let's face it, quite a few people probably have a morbid curiosity.