Aliens: Colonial Marines Sales Prove Bafflingly Massive

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Earnest Cavalli said:
Proving conclusively that no one listens to videogame critics...
More that it proves game journalists are seriously out of touch with the audience, that they're not very good at their job, and gamers enjoy games for a variety of reasons.

Is the game good? Not really. But there are a lot of people who aren't looking for the Citizen Kane of gaming. They just want something to pass the time, and in this case, an very average game that at least reminds them of the Alien franchise.

Also, I'm willing to bet money most people who've bought the game hadn't even seen the infamous press footage (maybe not any footage), therefore they weren't lied to in any shape or form.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
How is this even surprising? A very large section of people who buy and play games know nothing about them. They see a movie license they like, and buy the game.

A:CM was going to sell a bunch of copies regardless of how good it was.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
Unfortunately for Sega, that number wouldn't include the number of copies returned, exchanged, currently being used as coasters or fed to ravenous goats.

Andros83

Apr 26, 2011
Of course ACM was the reason Timegate went bust.
It obviously wasn't the fact that they recently lost the rights to section 8 to SouthPeak and owed that publisher an additional 10 million dollars just from the court decision alone.
It obviously wasn't the fact that they haven't produced a single solitary hit in years.
It wasn't the fact that they also lost funding for a different project alltogether.
And it certainly wasn't the fact that they owed dozens of other companies a huge sum all of their own.
No, it was obviously ACM, who Sega used for contract work.
The one project that was keeping them afloat all this time seeing as how they ended up being the main developers of it.

The Escapist proving themselves once again why they are the mouthpiece of the gaming generation.
The generation of sensationalism and the rise of COD.
One step closer to being in the same barrel as Kotaku.
Top notch effort there people.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Gethsemani said:
I actually kind of liked A:CM... I suppose that makes me a bad person.
People will disagree, but don't ever let people convince you of that. You have an opinion on a videogame. You are not a bad person, and your opinion is not wrong. Don't feel bad about it, ever.

*flies away*

Skorpyo

Average Person Extraordinaire!
May 2, 2010
I bought it for myself and a friend to do a co-op Let's Play series, but that's the only reason.

It's good for laughs at least.

Still Life

Sep 22, 2010
Gethsemani said:
I can understand that.

I avoided this one because of its history, and it turned out to be a good call for my wallet.

In the past I bought Firewarrior (an intensely mediocre game) and I still had fun with it despite the fact.

Epicspoon

May 25, 2010
vansau said:
Thanks to the (admittedly brilliantly) duplicitous marketing campaign, I'm willing to guess a ton of people pre-ordered it. Now I'm willing to bet they spend a lot of time crying in the shower.
This is why I keep my subscriptions to my gaming magazines updated. Because the reviews come out before the actual game and if it sucks I can CANCEL MY PREORDER AND GET MY MONEY BACK. That being said I never gave a crap about this game from the start.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Seriously...why spend $60 on this thing? I can understand why people would want to buy poorly reviewed or, just plain bad games. Hell, I'm guilty of this [sub][sub]Aquaman, Duke Nukem Forever, Predator, Sonic 06[/sub][/sub] but I wouldn't buy a game this poorly reviewed until the price dipped to less-than-$20.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Gethsemani said:
Yes, we're going to lock you up, you monster!

...Kidding. There's nothing wrong with having a differing opinion. Still, with all the outrage....

...Oh yeah, Michael Bay. And almost every EA game. It's almost like people buy stuff anyway.

Its almost like no one actually gives a shit what the internet thinks, or how many tantrums it throws.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Gethsemani said:
You're not alone. It was okay, I was a bit annoyed with the screen tearing and texture popping, but otherwise it was what I expected, the multiplayer is actually pretty fun if playing in a group.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Elijin said:
Its almost like no one actually gives a shit what the internet thinks, or how many tantrums it throws.
Or people in general. Bay has been mocked at large for years. I'm sure he's crying all the way to the bank, though.

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
RicoADF said:
Right Hook said:
Anybody who preorder this was mildly stupid and very naive (myself included, I vow to not preorder again unless I feel it is an absolute necessity and quality is more assured. Way to go Gearbox, your disregard and ineptitude will cost better companies money they actually deserve).

Anybody who bought this after the release and the reviews started dropping is completely stupid and pays attention to nothing. (Seriously there is almost no excuse for any purchase after the reviews dropped, why would you buy this?!?)
I pre-ordered and am happy with the purchase, why? Because I played it before it was released at the EB expo, so I knew what I was getting. Not everyone has a problem with the end result and the article is unprofessional in implying that those such as myself whom enjoy a game we didn't over hype ourselves for are somehow stupid for approaching the game resonably and thinking rather than sucuming to the hype train.
I'm glad you enjoyed it, I think the anger is more from feeling personally burned than anything else. I also think people like you are in the minority on this one and people like that tend to get overlooked in the larger argument. It can also be a little hard to see why someone would enjoy this game, the multiplayer was alright I suppose.

Weatherking

Jul 21, 2012
Devoneaux said:
If you can enjoy mediocrity, then why should anyone work at their craft to please you?
I firmly believe that nobody should do anything to please me. They *could* if they wanted to, but I personally would feel like it would be overly entitled of me to expect that they *should*.
So if I don't misunderstand, which I often do, what you are objecting to is my, to be honest, flippant comment about being able to enjoy what the general public perceives as sub-par being enviable. To clarify where that comes from: it's about my dislike for hate as an emotion to respond to anything really, and considering enjoyment a more healthy alternative when it comes to things like games, not the only one either. You can dislike or like whatever you want, I just object to extreme and harmful emotions being used frivolously, I don't think it's good for people to not try to control harmful behavior and emotions, that's all I'm trying to say. Saying I want people to not try to do the best they can and coast through doing the bare minimum as you seemed to infer is not what I intended to get across with it.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
SupahGamuh said:
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed is legitimately better than any Mario Kart ever made and has become one of my favorite racing games ever. A:CM's only saving grace is it's amazingly convoluted development history.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed is a brilliant racing game, it's an utter joy to experience, it's gorgeous and lush, it's fast and frantic without ever feeling unbalanced, cheap or even frustrating. It's one of my most recommended releases or recent times!

OT: That's some pretty bad garmz jurnalism but ok. Yeah it's kinda inexplicable apart from the huge marketing push for the game and the years of hype and pre-orders.

Mahoshonen

Jul 28, 2008
The pre-orders explanation might be the reason for the high numbers. But if it isn't, then I wouldn't put it past Sega to be outright lying about the sales figures to mollify shareholders. After all, they seem to be okay with bullshitting their consumers.

Of course, if they are lying and get caught, then Sega's in for a world of hurt.

lordmardok

Mar 25, 2010
Gethsemani said:
You're entitled to your opinion man, I mean, it's not like liking the game is hurting anyone y'know? It may mean that you might not have the best judgment or taste when it comes to deciding which games are objectively good or not but that's not really a big deal. Games are made to be entertaining and if you were entertained by that... uh... thing... then more power to ya I guess.