Aliens Didn't Ruin a Franchise, It Established One

Mr C

May 8, 2008
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Yes! Yes Jim! For the love of God yes!

I have one more issue with the original article that I don't think was touched on here (not that I want this to turn into a witch hunt or anything), but I took serious issue with the implication that Aliens is just non-stop balls the the wall action with no down time left to spare for character development and tension. I watched Aliens a few days ago, and while I wasn't timing it, I swear it must be about an hour into the movie's run-time before the Xenomorphs actually show up! I guess that hour was just vacuum then, what with all the tension building and character development not existing.

In fact, even after the first battle, the films whole second act is focussed on the few surviving characters trying to stay alive in a claustrophobic space with limited resources, while simultaneously discovering that the hordes of Xenomorphs massing somewhere off-screen to kill them all aren't the only enemy they have to deal with. But no, my mistake, it's all just one-dimensional mehreens jacking off apparently.

Speaking of one-dimensional marines, I won't try and say that Vasquez and the gang are the most complicated characters in the world, but at least they exhibit enough recognisable personality to be memorable, which is more than I can say for the crew of the Nostromo.
I was going to write something similar, though it would not have been as well written as this. You are right my friend that it is in fact (in the director's cut) over one hour before the marines arrive at the hive.

Guilen-

Mar 14, 2009
THANK YOU, Mr. Sterling. This is the Escapist Magazine, not the Blowhard-Wants-To-Make-Only-One-Style-Of-Sci-fi-Filmmaking-Respectable magazine. Aliens is every bit as untouchable a cornerstone as the original, if for different reasons, and it made me sick to see it attacked on the front page of this website in particular. These days it almost seems like knocking James Cameron films is becoming trendy - shows what kind of historical ingratitude people have when they want to sound intelligent or edgy about something. If ANY website should have the insight to talk about the strength of his themes across his films, it's this one - thank god you're on board. Peace!

Dirge Eterna

Apr 13, 2013
Jimothy Sterling said:
thaluikhain said:
I disagree about the marines. The Aliens got really lucky, and the marines had to be incompetent. If the aliens weren't under the reactor so all the marines had their guns, things would be different. If the lieutenant was competent, and the other ranks were professional, things would be different.
Part of what I said was that the marines sucked. They lost their confidence when they didn't have their technology backing them up. So yeah, they were clearly incompetent - and their culture of overconfidence would suggest that's a fundamental flaw for the whole force.

As for whether or not the aliens got lucky, I'd argue they're clearly smart enough to understand how certain things work. The queen can operate machinery after seeing somebody use it once. While it seems to be that aliens get "dumber" the more there are (perhaps their personal instincts taking a backseat to a sweeping and simplified hive mind), it's obvious the one calling the shots for them isn't stupid, and certainly seemed to see the marines coming.

Now, their trap might not have been as good if the marines could shoot, but they had surprise and numbers, and later on, when firepower wasn't an issue, they still had their asses handed to them. Hell, the xenomorphs knew how to effectively cut off their escape by getting aboard the carrier as it was about to lift them off-planet. I think they deserve a bit more credit.

Jesus, I am a fucking nerd.

One of the biggest weaknesses the Marines had beside leadership was that they went into the colony thinking it was all a bunch of BS. A bug hunt as they say, that there wasn't really an enemy there. They blew off Ripleys advice and knowledge. When they really ran into the Xenomorph nest they were overwhelmed mentally by the truth. They were not prepared to face the enemy and they really didn't know what it was capable of. Gorman hamstrung them by being a douche but Apone should have overridden his orders and pulled back to wait for reinforcement once they discovered the magnitude of the threat they faced. I think Burke had WY pull some strings to get a squad with a weak LT deployed so that he could control him and get the Xenomorphs as a bioweapon. A smart commander doesent just throw away his men on a hopeless battle, they should have lifted off and waited in orbit until a larger force could have been dispatched. They knew that the aliens reproduced from people so they could have guessed how many there were based on the number of colonists and the lack of bodies from the fighting.

NSGrendel

Jul 1, 2010
People have some hysterically inaccurate ideas of how people actually function under extreme stress, let alone whilst undergoing stark, atavistic terror.

The marines are portrayed in a pretty accurate way in the film, given that they're meant to be analagous to Vietnam war era US troops, a time when the officer corps was dimly regarded and discipline was low.

Gaming does not portray realistic situations. COD is not a simulation. Hell, Arma III isn't a simulation of anything but about 0.05% of a soldier's life. But no one wants to play a press-ups and guard duty simulator. Well, except for those that play America's Army.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
As for characters, who was that memorable from Alien apart from Ripley? In Aliens, a lot of the characters may be cliche marines, but they are memorable, Hicks, Hudson and Vasquez.

Oskuro

Nov 18, 2009
I think I see where Schuyler J. Dievendorf comes from. I'm of the opinion that Aliens suffers from the same problem as Fight Club does (among others), where popular opinion fixates on superficial elements, and fail to grasp the actual point of the movie.

In this I agree with Jim, the point of Aliens was how ineffectual the macho-posturing was. Just as the point of Fight Club was how utterly wrong and repulsive Tyler Durden's worldview was, yet popular opinion seems to fixate on how "cool" the Fight Club philosophy is.

Another movie I recall was misunderstood in this sense was the first Predator. In the director's commentary, John McTiernan commented sadly how the scene where the soldiers empty their weapons into the jungle was totally misunderstood. His point was to show macho military types firing ineffectually into nothing, making a point about the futility of their excessive-violence-centric approach. It was nearly a joke, as they fire desperately into nothing. McTiernan then sadly found out that many other movies began aping that scene, but in those cases there was actually people before the wildly shooting soldiers, getting killed.

But I guess this is inevitable to a certain degree. Any sort of nuance in any medium is bound to fly over the head of a lot of people, and if those people reach a certain critical mass, their interpretation will most certainly become the standard interpretation.

Isn't this why Movie Defense Force exists, by the way? To offer an alternate viewpoint on movies that the majority have decided are irredeemable?

P.S: Its a pet peeve of mine but... You people realize that "Xenomorph" literally means "Alien", right? It's not a specific name for the creature. It was just one of the characters in Aliens trying to sound smart by using a more scientifically-sounding term. Which, ironically seeing the discussion at hand, people latched on and began using as if it actually meant something else.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
Yeah, Aliens was a great action movie, no doubt about it. You're probably also right that it actually established the "franchise", I'm pretty sure we wouldn't still see Alien content if that film hadn't been there.

However, it does seem to me like game developers in particular have just looked at the second action flick far too much, instead of the horror roots.

While the creatures in Aliens were still stealthy killers, they often just become cannon fodder in the games with numbers making the difference (sort of like the zerg). Even to the point where they're morphed into other "gamey" forms like spitters or dinosaur like charging dudes etc.
That IS demystification in my opinion. It's not the fault of Aliens, but of milking the action part of the series too much.

Btw, turning people into eggs would've actually been pretty dang scary :p

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
SonOfVoorhees said:
As for characters, who was that memorable from Alien apart from Ripley?
Everyone?

OT: Jim, your point about the originally cut 'cocoon' scene from Alien, is the same reason why I dislike how they handled the Alien in Aliens. In the first movie Brett and Dallas don't get killed, they get taken alive. And you don't know why, but you're pretty sure it ain't gonna be nice. It left their horrofic fate to the audience's imagination. By showing what happens to them it sorta kills that, as well as the pacing of the movie -- That scene was awkwardly placed, man.

And this is what happened in Aliens; It exposed the Alien, showing it to be nothing more than a giant ant. I like that Aliens choose a different direction, I just don't like the direction it choose.

Conclusion: The Director's Cut/Special Edition of both Alien and Aliens sucks.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Oskuro said:
P.S: Its a pet peeve of mine but... You people realize that "Xenomorph" literally means "Alien", right? It's not a specific name for the creature. It was just one of the characters in Aliens trying to sound smart by using a more scientifically-sounding term. Which, ironically seeing the discussion at hand, people latched on and began using as if it actually meant something else.
I know what it means. However, it now means the species name when talking about Aliens. It is far from the first time a word has been appropriated for an alternate use.

NSGrendel

Jul 1, 2010
Jimothy Sterling said:
Oskuro said:
I know what it means. However, it now means the species name when talking about Aliens. It is far from the first time a word has been appropriated for an alternate use.
Xeno(s) means alien. Xenomorph, is specifically used within the Alien franchise and is wholly appropriate.

"Benefits of a classical education."

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Well, this is odd, an in-Escapist argument and it's not No Right Answer. I think I'll just go on record by saying that I dig the Alien films.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
Oskuro said:
P.S: Its a pet peeve of mine but... You people realize that "Xenomorph" literally means "Alien", right? It's not a specific name for the creature.
Totally is, it got re-appropriated. It's like arguing that Predator literally means "a creature that hunts prey" and isn't the name for that specific creature. Also, Xenomorph means Alien Changer or something not just Alien, the morph part is relevant.

And I just realised I'm the third person to point this out.

OT: Aliens answers the old horror criticism "Yeah, but it'd turn out differently if the characters had a gun/the army with them" and says "Not really"

Aug 31, 2012
CaptainMarvelous said:
OT: Aliens answers the old horror criticism "Yeah, but it'd turn out differently if the characters had a gun/the army with them" and says "Not really"
Of course, it's a film, what happens is what the writers want to happen.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
Zykon TheLich said:
CaptainMarvelous said:
Of course, it's a film, what happens is what the writers want to happen.
Not inaccurate, I meant that they responded to the usual criticism by showing a scenario where fully arming the protagonists still doesn't make them stronger or more powerful than the alien/monster/serial killer. And keeps it semi-believable.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
When I read the first article, I did have a feeling Jim might be on the same page as me in terms of reaction. And even though Aliens is also my favourite movie (or at least the movie that makes me love movies) I didn't take exception with the subject matter. Part of loving something is recognising it's flaws and accepting them. My problem with the article is how it took the wrong approach to what could be a completely valid argument. (If framed a little less sensationally) It felt like petty, mis informed gripes that are based off the attitude of a disaffected teenager hating on his Dad's Lep Zepplin albums. I really took exception to the Cameron bashing. There was a time before Titanic when he was regarded as a master of the craft and an outlaw genius. It's akin to slating The Empire Strikes Back, because of Jar Jar Binks. And worst of all, character assassination of the cast and crew has always been the lowest form of film criticism. I would love a shot at making the argument for why Aliens is a mis-stepped movie but I would give that argument the attention it deserves and based off a knowledge of cinema and an appreciation of the time it was made. I made a big long post in the comments of the other article with my full views but I am really happy to see Jim step up and offer a intelligent rebuttal of an article that was pretty shoddily put together because (It seems to me) someone at the escapist said "We are doing an Aliens thing, want to write an article about it?" and the writer wanted click bait and for theirs to stand out so he took the tabloid approach. I think it's terrible that someone waste so wonderful an opportunity to have a public platform to criticise such a landmark film and do it so sloppily. That's what annoys me most. Very happy to see the staff not afraid to disagree with each other. Intelligent disagreements are always a good thing.

DocZombie

Jul 28, 2011
Jimothy Sterling said:
Sterling work, as always, Jim!

I'm interested to see that no-one has yet brought up what I thought was a commonly-accepted analysis of Aliens - that "marines-versus-xenomorphs" is an allegory for the Vietnam War...

There are numerous parallels or references throughout the movie, but the biggest is that the "superior military power" finds itself floundering against a technologically inferior, but numerically superior and very, very determined enemy.

Aug 31, 2012
CaptainMarvelous said:
Not inaccurate, I meant that they responded to the usual criticism by showing a scenario where fully arming the protagonists still doesn't make them stronger or more powerful than the alien/monster/serial killer. And keeps it semi-believable.
Oh, yeah, I'm not saying it was some ridiculous farce or anything, one of the reasons I can actually stomach discussing Alien lore is that the films do feel very believable. I was pointing to horror films in general, although I must add superior numbers count for a lot. 20-1 odds aren't great no matter who you are or what you're facing ( Kittens vs Godzilla notwithstanding).

My general feeling on the matter is that it wasn't a foregone conclusion, the Aliens aren't unstoppable, it might have also very believably turned out differently had the Marines not made so many poor decisions. So maybe not a farce, but certainly a botched mission. The marines are human and we humans vary in the quality of our work. Different squad, different day and all that...

Tuesday Night Fever said:
The only really iffy ones are Private Crowe and Private Wierzbowski. Crowe would have probably survived a bit longer, since there wouldn't have been any bag of ammunition to explode in his face. Wierzbowski, like Dietrich and Apone, also got dragged off without a fight... but it could be because he was distracted by that ammunition bag.
Really? I remember Hicks saying Wierzbowski and Crowe are down directly after Frost's ammo bag explosion, and the marines didn't include him in the old "The Sarge and Deitrich ain't dead".

[EDIT: Wasn't it Wierzbowski that Hicks went to shake after the explosion, shouting his name while he did so?]

I'd say Weirzbowski and Crowe, as well as maybe even Apone, might have come through, 2 marines instead of 4 in one go and not having just suffered a large explosion, they might well have been more able to cover each other. Hell, Drake might have survived if Apone had been around to stop him being such a kill crazy fucker. Then I suppose they might have thought they could take the aliens and got swamped by all 200 of them instead of trying to pull out. I'd say either interpretation is valid though, it's a piece of fiction.

DocZombie

Jul 28, 2011
Oskuro said:
P.S: Its a pet peeve of mine but... You people realize that "Xenomorph" literally means "Alien", right? It's not a specific name for the creature.
I know the responses to this are stacking up, but...
"Xeno-" as a prefix means "strange", "foreign" or "alien" (in the context of something unknown or unfamiliar and with a small "a")
"morph" means "form" or "shape"

In the movie, it really is just Gorman trying to make himself sound clever, but the term has stuck because it's a handy label, and avoids confusion with other "aliens".

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
008Zulu said:
Were the Marines the worst of the worst because Evil Corporation wanted to preserve the Aliens for use as a weapon?
My mum is convinced this is the case. But...it wasn't so much "the corporation" as seemingly just Burke himself. And Burke was going in there with them. Seems unwise on his part.

DocZombie said:
Oskuro said:
I know the responses to this are stacking up, but...
"Xeno-" as a prefix means "strange", "foreign" or "alien" (in the context of something unknown or unfamiliar and with a small "a")
"morph" means "form" or "shape"

In the movie, it really is just Gorman trying to make himself sound clever, but the term has stuck because it's a handy label, and avoids confusion with other "aliens".
Is it? Maybe it's the official technical term for all weird looking aliens that officer types use. Was never made clear in the film.