Aliens: What if we're the advanced species?

Odegauger

Apr 7, 2010
I honestly believe that if we found some sort of primitive alien life, we'd treat them with respect.

the spud

May 2, 2011
I would probably go around abducting aliens, but only the ones with a history of mental health problems. Afterwards, I might go mutilate some space cows and let my dog loose and see if it acts like their version of the Chupacabra.

Jacco

May 1, 2011
Phlakes said:
The prime directive exists for a reason.

...Well, it doesn't actually exist... But it will...
I agree. If it ever gets to the point we can efficiently travel through space, I have no doubt that something like that would be one of the first pieces of legislation to be enacted whether we meet aliens right away or not.

There are too many risks in interacting with a species like that, the least of which would be bringing some kind of alien virus aboard a ship. Imagine the Andromeda Strain but on a galactic level.

danirax

Jan 11, 2011
I'd leave them alone but leave something to monitor them, and give a behind the sense in the shadows a helping hand if they will mess up waaay too much....
if you think about it even if there are species more advanced then us then they will probably will do the same...

mcnally86

Apr 23, 2008
BiscuitTrouser said:
SckizoBoy said:
What I'd do: leave them the hell alone.
What I'd want to do: integration.
What would probably happen: resource wars.
That was goddam fast.

Well i tell you what we wouldnt do. Randomly fly around trying to be stealthy but failing all the while probing anus's left right and centre. We also wouldnt come along every so often to build a monument between anus inspecting. That would be retarded

I think wed intervine. We are far too curious. Wed share all our technology, it would destroy them, not to mention the initial culture gap and language gap would be huge. I think it would be a mess.
But what if our sci-fi future space ships run on something probed from unsuspecting anus? Or maybe the Anus attachment simply powers the crop circling device? Its the only way we know how to communicate. Or what if our body is shaped so differently from theirs what we think is handshaking is anus probing?

ryanxm

Jan 19, 2009
I've actually asked my friends and family this a few times too. What would I want to do? See if we can negotiate some sort of peaceful co-existance. What would happen? Someone on one side would be a dick, and then we'd kill them all. The sad reality of species to species contact.

uhddh

Sep 27, 2011
Honestly, I think that if we find aliens less advanced then us by that time it would be a repeat of roughly 18 century Britain vs India tribe or whatever just on a larger scale.

In the long run both countries would benifit, but immediate rewards would go to the victor (us).

Spartan448

Apr 2, 2011
We must obey the Prime Dir... Ya know what? Screw the Prime Directive. The Prime Directive doesn't let you do awesome stuff. (And since when does anyone actually obey it? I think it's probably the stature broken most often by Starfleet personel)

If EVE Online has taught me anything, it's that when you find a new planet, immediately strip it of it's natural resources and orbitally bombard the locals if they give you trouble.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
I KNOW!!!
I think about this too.

This gives me flash backs to Spore... so many penis spaceships, so much fucking around.

Sprinal

Jan 27, 2010
well if it were to happen in the next half century then what I say would happen would be rather interesting to watch as the Creationists tried to explain it . Then the Conservatives would say DESTROY!!! whilst Eurocorp would be busily breaking basic human/alien right and getting beaten up by Green peace and Amnesti International... Then there would be much piracy and lovely drinks with Kings for me (as I would be the 1st officer or Captain of the science vessels that went there).

Finally it would be a mess (politics wise)

Jan 29, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
One word my friends: Outsourcing.
And you thought Dealing with a Indian tech support was bad.

Anyways, I figure it'll turn out horribly as we colonize the crap out of wherever there isn't *ahem* opposition. Think Native American syndrome, but with an entire planet.

gyroc1

Nov 26, 2011
My gosh we're evil here! It's like we never learn from history judging strictly from these responses! Kill to further the master human race?! I hope some people are just making bad jokes.

What I'd do: Observe and help when they ask for it.
What I want to do: Barder their different tech or resources for ours.
What would happen: *shrug* We open the void for space war?

Thamous

Sep 23, 2008
I'm sensing a big increase in slavery's stock prices.
Also, this video is highly relevant.

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
If that's the case, then I'm not going to be around to see it, so I don't care. :p

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
We kill them and take their loot, maybe we go a bit soft at the end and take some slaves.
You really can't expect more then our primal nature here because the first people to go there would be either military or business men, both only understand jungle law, kill or be killed.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I've talked about this with friends before, and we always laughed at the idea cause pretty much everyone thinks aliens are smarter than us and it would just be funny to see them wrong.

Anyways, as to what I would do... well, depends on the type of lifeform. I may try to ST:TNG them and run the risk of being called a God, or I may just wish them well and leave so as not to fuck the proverbial pudding.

Though speaking for humanity as a whole, and knowing Humanity just through our history, I'd see a Genocide happened rather quickly and draining the planet of all its useable resources. Or people going there and trying to bring them into the way of a/the god/s (take your pick really). And then of course atheism would spread there, and we'd be fucking up another planet and race like we did with ours with pointless squabbling.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
A new age of colonialism.

Whether or not they are less "intelligent" than us, or jsut less advanced, they will be proved to be less "intelligent" and thus in need of our direction.

Though, for a totally alien race, "intelligence" is even more vague than usual, they might be well ahead of humans in certain areas, but not the other ones that make it useful...they might be naturally great at simple arithmetic, but crap at application, for example.

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
iLazy said:
Let's just say, we manage to figure out how to travel throughout space quickly and find another race of intelligent life-forms (living in houses, pants, the whole sha-bang), only we're the "freaky futuristic aliens from space" and they're the "less advanced aliens".

What do we do then?

Do we leave'em alone? Watch them to see how they advance? World domination?
An oversimplified version of what would probably happen can be seen in "Avatar". Unless we'll develop some renewable fuel or perhaps some type of engine that doesn't require fuel (which I think we will, because otherwise there's not much possibility of leaving this solar system), then we won't really need to drain resources on other planets. Then, we will study them like we study animals, maybe try to "educate" them. Maybe they will have some useful abilities we don't and we're going to use them as cheap work force (kind of like in "Battlefield Earth" :)

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I would love to integrate with another intelligent race! Even if they are a few hundred years before us it would be really interesting. As for what would likely happen, I wouldn't be surprised is humanity ended up starting another world war among ourselves, the human population split over dominating the new, under-developed species or, helping them to advance in the fields where we surpass them. Of course if an inner-species war were to break out I'd be against it...at least until their space-dragons (or similar fauna) and our Mech-armies (which I would assume we'd have by then) began fighting, which would be pretty sweet to watch.