Aliens: What if we're the advanced species?

thespyisdead

Jan 25, 2010
I think Spore demonstrates my current opinion quite well. we are not alone, we are not the most advanced species, but not the most primitive either

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
It's called an Outside context problem, civilisations usually encounter them the same way a sentence encounters a full stop.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
x-machina said:
You seen the movie Avatar? I imagine that is pretty much exactly what would happen (minus the happy ending)
Except that Avatar forgot to take into account things like nukes. The second the Na'vi attack began, they shold have instantly pulled the helicopter things out and fired a neutron bomb from orbit.

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
To be honest, I imagine we'd piss them off way before we learn of them being intelligent.

I can't imagine a human team of investigators being quite happy just surveying the aliens from afar, so the natural thing to do would be to catch them.

You you were looking at the squishy little monster before, all it seemed to be doing was jumping up and down randomly, and very little else. After a long examination, testing it with different stimuli, chemicals, and eventually chopping one up (because there's a lot in supply) we suddenly discover they were an intelligent life who was trying to tell his mates "Jesus- what the hell are those guys?" By then, we've already killed it. The aliens are hostile and mistrusting, so we decide to leave them alone unless there's something to be had in exhibiting them, or there's a natural resource on their planet. In that case, we'd probably wipe them out or enslave them.

Ideally, though, we'd not do any of this. Ideally, we'd make new space-friends and help each other out with problems, and a few dozen/hundred humans are sent to the planet to learn about their culture and teach them of English culture, like a space-TEFL course. Then I would apply the hell out of that job =D

Justanewguy

Jun 30, 2011
iLazy said:
This is coming from a discussion between a friend and I.

We both believe in "life on other planets" theory, but what I wonder is, what if we're the advanced beings? Hear me out.

Let's just say, we manage to figure out how to travel throughout space quickly and find another race of intelligent life-forms (living in houses, pants, the whole sha-bang), only we're the "freaky futuristic aliens from space" and they're the "less advanced aliens".

What do we do then?

Do we leave'em alone? Watch them to see how they advance? World domination?

What if they're in a terrible state? Wars, hunger, over-population. Do we help them or do we leave them to their fate?

Personally, I'd leave them alone but leave something to monitor them. I'd love to see how another race would advance.

What do you think/ what would you do?
The Prime Directive. 'Nuff said. Thank you Gene Roddenberry.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
duuuuh.
we rely so much on Sci-Fi for this stuff, we'd have the Federation Directive that says you cant do shit to planets without interplanetary space travel.
y'know.
the first one.
pretty damn important.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Haha i was thinking this last night . Humans can barely get along with other humans , based on this fact , we would most likely invade them . What i would prefer in the approach they had in star ocean 4 ( the game ) . Basically after interfering with several aloen worlds , and even blowing up an parallele time line earth , they decided to leave them the fuck alone . We don't help the ones with less advanced technology and we don't take help from the ones with better technology .

This is best , but humans are greedy and selfish so we would probably invade the hell out of them , and drink beer out of their skulls .

jyork89

Jun 29, 2010
I don't really think Avatar is a good example at all. I mean, if we can do interplanetary travel we can surely harvest raw materials from planets that wouldn't support life in the first place.

More likely, I believe it would be observation, and if they were deemed to be minimum risk and the planet to be habitable, colonization then perhaps education and integration. But they would have to be pretty rudimentary. If I was a highly advanced species I wouldn't be colonizing the earth anytime soon. I doubt even the best technology can really fully deflect a nuclear bombardment from a race of paranoid, bigoted and jingoistic creatures.

meow

Jul 8, 2011
If we do meet aliens that are like that odds are we would want to be at peace, but odds also are we would have very different languages for one and very different cultures so if we wanted to say "we come in peace" we would pretty much be sol. Although computers should run the same so they could communicate possibly.

Durgiun

Dec 25, 2008
If we are the most advanced life form then I think George Carlin was right when he said ''the Universe aimed rather low and settled for very little''.

But if we were the most advanced life form, my first mission would be to find the females (or the equivalent of females) from the other species and proceed to have the wildest space orgy that would make Kirk blow a gasket in jealousy.

On a serious note, I'd vote for observation for a few decades. After we got a slight knowledge of their social structure, hierarchy whatever, we should try and make contact. Albeit, without some super-flashy space-craft. But packing guns would be a good idea, just in case.

lionsprey

Sep 20, 2010
Assuming humans are still the same way then they are now.
It wouldn't end well for the Aliens that much i am sure of.

Bassik

Jun 15, 2011
Well then, let's be optimistic about it.
First this little planet and it's winds and ways, and then all the laws of mind and matter that restrain him. Then the planets about him, and at last out across immensity to the stars.
And when he has conquered all the deeps of space and all the mysteries of time, still we would be beginning.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
How less advanced are we talking about? Like, are they set in the 1950's of Earth? The 1650's of Earth? The 1050's of Earth? The Earliest Beginnings of Humanity for Earth (I.E. Tribes)?

Regardless, the two groups would be so far apart that it'd basically be an Ugly Roadblock hitting another Ugly Roadblock. Sure, the first Humans to explore this planet would try to learn of their culture, teach a couple of the Aliens English, but in the end, it'll basically become Africa: Taken Over, colonized poorly with a few Independent lands, eventually freed, and in poor shape. Though, hopefully not as poor as Africa.

Ninjat_126

Nov 19, 2010
Nouw said:
I'm from the Escapist, and I say kill 'em all!
Ha ha. Because genocide of a semi-innocent intelligent race is perfectly fine when done for the sake of an action movie.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Personally, I would move to completely ignore them, but 'spy' on them. Learn about them. Do not make contact. Now, if there was some other equally advance race that was trying to wipe out all life for some reason, sure, uplift them and have them defend themselves. If they're on the cusp of wiping themselves out, don't uplift them but prevent that wipe out from happening. Be kind of like their guardian angels. Make sure they stay alive, but don't actually give them an advantage over what they have unless it is needed. Eventually they will reach the same state we were in. They will have done it by their own accord, it will be an achievement that gives their people strength. Us watching over them will give them goodwill towards us. Then, we start an interplanetary alliance.

In all likeliness though, the likes of Avatar would happen, where there is a rare resource we want, so we will take it - other species be damned. Its the human way, and sadly we are far from changing that.

ThePurpleCube

Aug 30, 2011
Personally? Observation would be my first tactic. If they are warlike or tribal and could possibly be a threat, try to watch them for further threats. If they could contribute to human society, welcome them in and improve infrastructure.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
If I had any saying in that, I would at first just observe them from a safe distance to prevent them from noticing us.

Depending of what I find, there would be 2 options. If they go with a relatively safe path of technology, I would leave them alone.
If they try to go with some technology that isn't safe for their technology level, I would try to show them why it's not a good idea to push in that direction. But I would still try to be a discrete as possible.
We had that problem with nuclear energy. On a much smaller level with solar energy.
We tried to use nuclear energy while still not really understanding it. Chernobyl, Hiroshima, Nagasaki... We weren't really ready for such insane energy output with such instability.

On the other hand, we just abandoned the solar energy because we tried to use it while it wasn't developed enough. Big costs, low output. If the scientists tried to development it a bit more before showing it to the masses, if it was a bit more profitable, solar energy would maybe be out main energy source. But we had petroleum which was much more affordable at that time...

I wouldn't interfere in any wars, internal conflicts or anything similar. They have to learn why wars are bad. They can't learn them just by use telling them. Look at us. After several thousand years of history, we still don't get it that was is fucking bad.

But that's only if the difference between us and them is like between us now and us in the middle age.
If the difference is much smaller (now and 100 years ago), I think it would be safe to have some contact with them. Still no sharing of technology that is to advanced for them.

tl.dr. As little as possible interfering. If we try to interfere, than it would be as discrete as possible. No sharing of technology unless it's the only way to save that race.

There is one thing that I learned from Mass Effect that is actually really smart.
By sharing our technology with them, we would "force" them to chose the same path as we did. That would close the doors to all other paths which could lead to the same goal, but with other technology. If they had some different technology from us, we (and them) could use both technologies for a faster advance.