All Electronics Banned On International Flights Into U.S.

Aulleas123

Aug 12, 2009
They're also taking out in-flight entertainment on some airlines, combined with no electronics, I hope visitors have a good book to read.

Oh wait, that's right. If a plane is an hour away from the destination, then you are no longer allowed to have anything in your lap.

If you ask me, the terrorists have already won.

typhoon17

May 24, 2009
Yes, disconnect the movies, that will save us.
Aulleas123 said:
They're also taking out in-flight entertainment on some airlines, combined with no electronics, I hope visitors have a good book to read.

Oh wait, that's right. If a plane is an hour away from the destination, then you are no longer allowed to have anything in your lap.

If you ask me, the terrorists have already won.
You are correct, and our idiot TSA have no response but to penalize normal people.

GodsAndFishes

Mar 22, 2009
Removing electronics? What on hell are they on? I was under the impression that the latest terrorist used a syringe and some (mildly) explosive powder, last time I checked liquids and powders weren't electronic. Plus no in-flight movie, how is that going to help stop terrorists and what the smeg are we meant to do on a flight that lasts more than 2 hours?
Where has all the common sense gone?

...I think my ranting is over now.

Zaleznikel

Sep 3, 2008
When did it go from this:

The Economist said:
The most ridiculous new rule prohibits passengers on US-bound international flights from leaving their seats or having anything on their laps?even a laptop or a pillow?during the final hour of flight.
to this:

The Escapist said:
has banned all electronics on international flights into the country.
I've been trying to figure it out. Your source isn't covering what you say, and the closest I've seen is no electronics on an hour long flight from Canada.

In fact, according to CBS news, these measures have been eased already [http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/12/28/national/main6030609.shtml]

So Escapist, please show me a better source. This kind of flashy writing is upsetting and does not do anything but rile people up.

Pingieking

Sep 19, 2009
Man, I really owe my mother for her decision of not immigrating to the US. Especially given that I fly to Taiwan every two years or so. Imagine a 12.5 hour flight with nothing to do!

The terrorists won. We might as well capitulate now and get some freedoms back.

ejb626

Aug 6, 2009
God Damn thank God my family doesn't travel much.
*sigh* so much for getting any use at all out of my PSP those flights were the only times I ever used it, oh well.

EDIT: I've just learned that these have been eased you can now have things on your lap and electronic restictions are being lifted.

Supreme Unleaded

Aug 3, 2009
Jeez soon there going to tell you to board with only the cloths on your back, and even still your going to get searched upwards of 4 times.

Makes me wanna trive across the atlantic rather then flying. Too bad the Super Bridge will never be made. *sheds a manly tear*

CyberKnight

Jan 29, 2009
If you don't follow Twitter -- well, I can't say I blame you. But you might find the posts tagged "#tsaslogans [http://twitter.com/search?q=%23tsaslogans]" worth a chuckle.

The one that seems to get "retweeted" a lot: "TSA - Protecting you from yesterday, tomorrow."

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
All we need now is for Chuck Norris to hijack a plane with his bare hands and then we can just ban passengers. What does this mean for Cyborgs?

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
Blazing Steel said:
Nexus Zef said:
Next you will have to remove all of your clothes so you don't hide anything under them, and have to have a cavity search before boarding
They already have new scanners that see under your clothing and show you nude.
And that will stop them doing it anyway?

Darkwolf9

Aug 19, 2008
Nexus Zef said:
You won't be allowed books on planes in case the edges are sharp enough to poke the air crew in the eye, allowing you to take control.

I'd have to agree with the comment that these kinds of things aren't going to stop terrorism, if someone is determined to hijack a plane then they would happily hide a ceramic AK47 up their bum to get it onboard.

Next you will have to remove all of your clothes so you don't hide anything under them, and have to have a cavity search before boarding as well as a detailed interrogation. So whilst everyone is having a crappy time trying to fly around, terrorists will be hijacking desert buses and forcing everyone on board to sing Tucson or Bust repeatedly.
You have to admit that would be funny as hell to see. A burly dude screaming sing as they loop the video over and over again the whole trip on a TV he rigged to the front of the bus.

kannibus

Sep 21, 2009
Still waiting for them to put ED-209 style bots on the planes. Or maybe the TSA should just say "Ah screw 'em all" and do it up like in that movie Con Air.

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
Are you fucking kidding me?! I'm in Brazil right now and I'm going back to the States in the next three weeks! This is bullshit!
The hell am I going to do without my Zune?
Or my Gameboy?
Assholes!

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I gotta fly into Boston in january...if they mean I cant take my iPhone im going to hurt someone! I need my laptop for work! ><""""

Talk about been a larger pain than needed...bloody hell

Aktrez

Mar 13, 2009
Not 100% true. CNN states that they implemented the following rules 1 hour prior to landing in the US on an international flight:

The Transportation Security Administration invoked a "one hour rule" after the thwarted attack, which prohibited passengers on international U.S.-bound flights from leaving their seats during the last hour of a flight, sources said. In addition, passengers had to stow pillows and blankets, and maps viewed on in-flight entertainment screens were disabled during the final hour of flight.

It also states that shortly after this, they reviewed the situation and stated that inflight crew has the ability to determine whether or not to implement this based on the situation.

It's not the full flight. Reagan Airport in DC also has rules like this 30 minutes prior to landing and and taking off from the airport.