All-Female Ghostbusters Reboot Officially Happening

blalien

Jul 3, 2009
Darth_Payn said:
Also, Bob, don't think I didn't notice the SEXISM tag at the bottom.
He was just (accurately) predicting the responses to this article. Personally, I'm withholding judgment until I see the cast.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
I'm not sure what to think of it, but my concerns don't come from the director or an all-female cast. More that there has been a significant passing of time from the last film to when this one is going to come out, and it might have lost a lot of focus and charm by then. See the latest Indiana Jones film for an example of classic fun films not surviving the transfer very well.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
This is going to be interesting and terrifying at the same time. Ghostbusters is iconic. Part of the iconic nature is the cast. But I'm more than willing to give it shot. To me, the film is kind of timeless though, so I feel like reboot is not a good idea for this particular movie.

Adam Jensen said:
Yes. Awesome!

IMO, Scarlett Johansson needs to be in this. She nailed every comedy role she was in.
What comedy roles has she had? I'm not familiar with them.

Under_your_bed

Sep 15, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:
You just don't get it, man. Because the cast are women, they will talk about girl things! And they will force you to go!
Gosh-darn it! I'LL BET ANITA SARKEESIAN'S BEHIND THIS! IT'S HER KICKSTARTER!!!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Under_your_bed said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
You just don't get it, man. Because the cast are women, they will talk about girl things! And they will force you to go!
Gosh-darn it! I'LL BET ANITA SARKEESIAN'S BEHIND THIS! IT'S HER KICKSTARTER!!!
My God, she's been playing the long game.

Under_your_bed

Sep 15, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:
Don't be silly. Thunderfoot[footnote]Peace Be Upon Him[/footnote] assures me that she's literally never played a game ever.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
8bitOwl said:
Scarlett Johansson is a vain slut IRL. I saw an interview with her and I was appalled to see it. I was kinda hoping she was a smart girl playing the sexy doll on screen because it's good money.
You mean to tell me a bigtime Hollywood star is *glup*... vain? It's an outrage! Not Robert Downey Jr. too, say it ain't so!!!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Under_your_bed said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Don't be silly. Thunderfoot[footnote]Peace Be Upon Him[/footnote] assures me that she's literally never played a game ever.
Touché! But still, the world must be warned of her evil mistressminding.

...Seriously, if I could like posts, that zinger would get as many as possible. I tip my hat to you.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Zachary Amaranth said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
i hate Social Justice, now i dont know if, when an artist wants to do some gender swapping, it is because he/she wants to experiment with something different or is because of pandering

i guess ill wait and see
I don't think you know what "social justice" is. I know that the internet froths in a rage at the "social justice warrior," but are you seriously pro-slavery and miscegnation and shit?

Anyway, yeah. I hate pandering. Only straight white dudes should be pandered to.
pro-slavery and miscegnation and shit?
yes i mean exaactly that, i said these exact words

no, you know what i mean with social justice, all this fucking pandering and getting offended over everything, shaming and insulting people over artistic choices and trying to force diversity into everything like some captain planet episode

i dont dont judge people based on their skin, gender or sexual orientation, i judge them based on their actions

also im not white mate, i dont see how see how the previous movie was pandering

you know what is the group of people that i think is the most racist of all?, excluding shit like white supremacists and stuff, the so called social justice warriors, the people who defend social justice to the extreme, people who feel they have the right to tell women and people of color how they should feel, these people ignore minorities are people too, they only see skin colors, genders or sexual orientations, they dont see people

to be clear, im not talking about you, unless you are one of those people

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
*fingers crossed for Lena Dunham as Kylie Griffin*

...ah, who am I kidding, no one remembers Extreme Ghostbusters.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
Four pages and no mention of Lucy Lawless? This seems like the kind of project that's tailor made to have her jammed in it somewhere...

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
NuclearKangaroo said:
But that's what social justice is. Even if you insist I "know what you mean." And that was kind of my point. That was why I said
"I don't think you know what "social justice" is." Instead of getting offended that I accused you of saying things I didn't accuse you of saying, maybe read and understand what I actually said?

Also, whether or not you're white changes nothing, so I don't know why you brought it up, mate. It's almost like you're responding by rote to accusations you expect me to make, rather than things I actually say.

But, for the record.

There were blacks who opposed abolition. There were women who opposed suffrage. There were gays (and still are) who opposed gay marriage. There are people on welfare/medicaid in this country who oppose government assistance. That doesn't make them right. Their race/sex/sexuality/economic status is largely irrelevant. As is yours to my statement.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Zachary Amaranth said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
But that's what social justice is. Even if you insist I "know what you mean." And that was kind of my point. That was why I said
"I don't think you know what "social justice" is." Instead of getting offended that I accused you of saying things I didn't accuse you of saying, maybe read and understand what I actually said?

Also, whether or not you're white changes nothing, so I don't know why you brought it up, mate. It's almost like you're responding by rote to accusations you expect me to make, rather than things I actually say.
Anyway, yeah. I hate pandering. Only straight white dudes should be pandered to
yeah that didnt sound like you were calling me a straight white dude at all...

if you dont like the term social justice, how about "internet social justice"? i mean its painfully clear what im talking about, but aparently not using the correct word is enough to get acussations of being s supporter of slavery

so ok, internet social justice, i think its fair to say we both know what i mean with this, i hate it, it makes it harder for me to know when an artist wants to do something different and when its pandering to certain people

Zachary Amaranth said:
But, for the record.

There were blacks who opposed abolition. There were women who opposed suffrage. There were gays (and still are) who opposed gay marriage. There are people on welfare/medicaid in this country who oppose government assistance. That doesn't make them right. Their race/sex/sexuality/economic status is largely irrelevant. As is yours to my statement.
im sorry are you trying to imply minorities dont know whats good for them? if a man wants to be a slave, let him be a slave, if he wants to be free, let him be free

i think its fair to say the large mayority of blacks wanted freedom, do you have any proof the large mayority of minorities dislike white straight male protagonists?

im serious ive seen many more white people attacking the idea of white straight male protagonists, and calling it misogynistic/racist/homophobic, than minorities

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
Zachary Amaranth said:
NuclearKangaroo said:

Also, whether or not you're white changes nothing, so I don't know why you brought it up, mate.
Well you did recently drag white guys into a topic that wasn't about white guys for no real reason.

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
NuclearKangaroo said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
NuclearKangaroo said:

Anyway, yeah. I hate pandering. Only straight white dudes should be pandered to
yeah that didnt sound like you were calling me a straight white dude at all...

if you dont like the term social justice, how about "internet social justice"? i mean its painfully clear what im talking about, but aparently not using the correct word is enough to get acussations of being s supporter of slavery

so ok, internet social justice, i think its fair to say we both know what i mean with this, i hate it, it makes it harder for me to know when an artist wants to do something different and when its pandering to certain people

Zachary Amaranth said:
But, for the record.

im sorry are you trying to imply minorities dont know whats good for them? if a man wants to be a slave, let him be a slave, if he wants to be free, let him be free
Is it slavery if you agree to it? Well I suppose if you don't have an option to walk away it's slavery but if you chose that route in the first place does that negate it?

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
Uggh.

Look if the sequel wasn't any good why would anyone possibly think that a reboot with a new cast won't suck as well?

I like Amy Poelhmer and I'm trying to imagine her doing the same jokes and style of humor that Bill Murray and the ghostbusters did and my mind is cringing.

Maybe they'll try a totally different style of humor but if that's the case then it's not really a faithful reboot because you're changing things people loved.

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
8bitOwl said:
Adam Jensen said:
Yes. Awesome!

IMO, Scarlett Johansson needs to be in this. She nailed every comedy role she was in.

NO. A MILLION TIMES NO.

"Hilarious women" will apparently translate to "sexy, attractive women", isn't it? Look at the original Ghostbusters. But of course, women can't be funny, they need to be, first and foremost, sexy.

tzimize said:
This is probably gonna be so painful to watch. Knowing hollywood they'll cast pretty ladies instead of funny ladies...and it'll be horrible.
My sentiments exactly.

As much as I absolutely hate reboots, if they actually made this into a comedy with actual funny women, it would be extremely groundbreaking. It would show women can do more than look pretty on the screen.
Kathy Bates called and she's pissed. You better run before she goes Annie Wilkes on you.

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
Under_your_bed said:
Oh no, a "Niche" movie for the whiny vocal minority called "women" that I probably won't ever watch or hear about again!

WHY MUST YOU RUIN MY FILMS LIKE THIS, FEMINISM?!?!
Damn those straw men and their terrible opinions.