All-Female Ghostbusters Reboot Officially Happening

Under_your_bed

Sep 15, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:
Under_your_bed said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
My God, she's been playing the long game.
Don't be silly. Thunderfoot[footnote]Peace Be Upon Him[/footnote] assures me that she's literally never played a game ever.
Touché! But still, the world must be warned of her evil mistressminding.

...Seriously, if I could like posts, that zinger would get as many as possible. I tip my hat to you.
Awwww....thanks matey! <3

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
I've found all of Feig's work criminally unfunny, so this is a major disappointment. I'm all for a fresh take on the Ghostbusters, it's a great concept that hasn't been run into the ground, and with the female cast you've got an amazing potential. However, with Feig at the helm I can't help but suspect that this will be gimmicky and derivative.

Timmaaaah

Aug 8, 2009
Awesome! I'm thinking Tina Fey, Sarah Silverman, and Cobie Smulders... I'd watch the crap out of that.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Lightknight said:
I'm not sure how I feel about race flipping or gender flipping as a gimmick. It always feels exploitative to me if not outright sexist/racist.

But I suppose I'm in the minority on that opinion. Either way, hopefully the movie is good.
No, I feel this way, but I don't think that this is the case - I was under the impression that this is more of a sequel than a remake, so the characters will be different. If it's actually the same characters, then yeah, it's exploitative.

I'm terrified that they're going to cast this person:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2313103/?ref_=tt_cl_t9

Please lord no... one of the few actors/actresses who's appearance in a film impacts my desire to watch it or not.

Timmaaaah

Aug 8, 2009
NuclearKangaroo said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
i hate Social Justice, now i dont know if, when an artist wants to do some gender swapping, it is because he/she wants to experiment with something different or is because of pandering

i guess ill wait and see

you know what is the group of people that i think is the most racist of all?, excluding shit like white supremacists and stuff, the so called social justice warriors, the people who defend social justice to the extreme, people who feel they have the right to tell women and people of color how they should feel, these people ignore minorities are people too, they only see skin colors, genders or sexual orientations, they dont see people

to be clear, im not talking about you, unless you are one of those people
The negative things you mentioned - "defending social justice to the extreme" - supposedly "telling people of color and women how they should feel"... They aren't defending social justice. The sort of people you're talking about are the furthest thing from someone standing for social justice. Films are art, and the artist can do whatever the fuck they want. If it's racist then we can call it out. If it's pandering, who cares? It could still be good. People who focus on whether or not it is pandering are concentrating on a non-issue.

Pandering to audiences so as to not offend people has nothing to do with social justice. Jesus tapdancing Christ. You really have no grasp of what social justice is. Do you know what a real social justice warrior is? One of the many people who fought and died for it. You know... So slavery could be abolished, women could vote, so you could live in a free society... I'd say people like you make me sick, but the fact is that you are just being a fool.

This SJW thing has gotten out of hand. I can't just go on a bloody forum anymore and discuss things I like without it popping up!

Arkynomicon

Mar 25, 2011
This is gonna suck. It was the original cast that made it work in the first place and Hollywood are terrible at writing funny female characters because their formula for it sucks.

If anything it seems like a reboot for the sake of a reboot which is amongst the worst reasons to make movie.

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
8bitOwl said:
WhiteNachos said:
8bitOwl said:
Adam Jensen said:
Yes. Awesome!

IMO, Scarlett Johansson needs to be in this. She nailed every comedy role she was in.

NO. A MILLION TIMES NO.

"Hilarious women" will apparently translate to "sexy, attractive women", isn't it? Look at the original Ghostbusters. But of course, women can't be funny, they need to be, first and foremost, sexy.

tzimize said:
This is probably gonna be so painful to watch. Knowing hollywood they'll cast pretty ladies instead of funny ladies...and it'll be horrible.
My sentiments exactly.

As much as I absolutely hate reboots, if they actually made this into a comedy with actual funny women, it would be extremely groundbreaking. It would show women can do more than look pretty on the screen.
Kathy Bates called and she's pissed. You better run before she goes Annie Wilkes on you.

Interestingly enough, I don't even know who she is.

Shows how much popularity non-sexy actresses get.
She won an Oscar for best actress. Popularity is not measured by whether or not you've heard of them.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Timmaaaah said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
i hate Social Justice, now i dont know if, when an artist wants to do some gender swapping, it is because he/she wants to experiment with something different or is because of pandering

i guess ill wait and see

you know what is the group of people that i think is the most racist of all?, excluding shit like white supremacists and stuff, the so called social justice warriors, the people who defend social justice to the extreme, people who feel they have the right to tell women and people of color how they should feel, these people ignore minorities are people too, they only see skin colors, genders or sexual orientations, they dont see people

to be clear, im not talking about you, unless you are one of those people
The negative things you mentioned - "defending social justice to the extreme" - supposedly "telling people of color and women how they should feel"... They aren't defending social justice. The sort of people you're talking about are the furthest thing from someone standing for social justice. Films are art, and the artist can do whatever the fuck they want. If it's racist then we can call it out. If it's pandering, who cares? It could still be good. People who focus on whether or not it is pandering are concentrating on a non-issue.

Pandering to audiences so as to not offend people has nothing to do with social justice. Jesus tapdancing Christ. You really have no grasp of what social justice is. Do you know what a real social justice warrior is? One of the many people who fought and died for it. You know... So slavery could be abolished, women could vote, so you could live in a free society... I'd say people like you make me sick, but the fact is that you are just being a fool.

This SJW thing has gotten out of hand. I can't just go on a bloody forum anymore and discuss things I like without it popping up!
i film can be racist and still be good, you can call it out all you want, and thats ok, just keep in mind that sort of thing dont affect the quality of the work

also, did the original cast of ghostbusters actually offend people simply by being male? wow

and no, thats not a social justice warrior, a social justice warrior is a "slacktivist" someone who believes they are so brave and mighty by complaining about stuff over the internet, rather than actually going out and trying to change things

a social justice warrior is often someone who wants to feel better about himself, often completely losing sight of what their principles are about, why do you think the #notyourshield tag exist? because people like me, people who are not the "unholy trinity" of white, male and straight, are sick and tired of having other people tell you how you should feel, why you should feel offended by X and Y, etc

also i cant find the words "social justice warrior" anywhere in the wikipedia article of Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Luther_King,_Jr.

you should ask people if they are actually offended by THING before trying to complain about THING

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
NuclearKangaroo said:
yeah that didnt sound like you were calling me a straight white dude at all...
You're right, it didn't. Because I didn't call you a straight white dude.

i mean its painfully clear what im talking about, but aparently not using the correct word is enough to get acussations of being s supporter of slavery
It wasn't clear, and I didn't accuse you of supporting slavery. Did you actually read what I said or did you just skim for buzzwords?

im sorry are you trying to imply minorities dont know whats good for them? if a man wants to be a slave, let him be a slave, if he wants to be free, let him be free
That's not what the people who opposed abolition were saying. Do you know what abolition is?

i think its fair to say the large mayority of blacks wanted freedom, do you have any proof the large mayority of minorities dislike white straight male protagonists?
Do I need to prove a claim I'm not making? If so, why?

im serious ive seen many more white people attacking the idea of white straight male protagonists, and calling it misogynistic/racist/homophobic, than minorities
I wonder why you'd see more of the majority talking about something than the minority.

I mean, aside from the specific example that you personally seem to tune out and misrepresent people who disagree with you. I mean in a broader sense.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
NuclearKangaroo said:
you should ask people if they are actually offended by THING before trying to complain about THING
Sweet. I know black people, gays, women, etc. who are bothered by THING. Does that mean I have a right to talk, or do I need your permission specifically? Hell, I'm a half-native, bisexual transsexual. Why do I get called a social justice warrior? Do I have to get written permission from myself to talk about issues pertaining to myself?

This definition of "SJW" holds about as much water as a sieve.

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
8bitOwl said:
WhiteNachos said:
She won an Oscar for best actress. Popularity is not measured by whether or not you've heard of them.

Excuse me, but popularity IS by definition measured on wether or not you've heard of them...
I meant you specifically. Popularity isn't measured by whether or not 8bitOwl has heard of them.

I could've worded that better.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Zachary Amaranth said:
You're right, it didn't. Because I didn't call you a straight white dude.
yeah that "white straight male" comment just came out of nowhere

i dont believe you

Zachary Amaranth said:
It wasn't clear, and I didn't accuse you of supporting slavery. Did you actually read what I said or did you just skim for buzzwords?
Zachary Amaranth said:
I know that the internet froths in a rage at the "social justice warrior," but are you seriously pro-slavery and miscegnation and shit?
yes you didnt accuse me of supporting slavery, you only questioned whenever i was pro-slavery or not

totally different

Zachary Amaranth said:
That's not what the people who opposed abolition were saying. Do you know what abolition is?
oh, now we are talking about what the anti-abolitionists say?, did you get tired of talking about video games already?

Zachary Amaranth said:
I wonder why you'd see more of the majority talking about something than the minority.

I mean, aside from the specific example that you personally seem to tune out and misrepresent people who disagree with you. I mean in a broader sense.
because non-whites live only in america...

i live in a country full of non-whites, ive lived here my entire life, whites are actually a minority here, ive yet to hear the first person complain about the skin color of the main character of a video game

Zachary Amaranth said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
Sweet. I know black people, gays, women, etc. who are bothered by THING. Does that mean I have a right to talk, or do I need your permission specifically? Hell, I'm a half-native, bisexual transsexual. Why do I get called a social justice warrior? Do I have to get written permission from myself to talk about issues pertaining to myself?

This definition of "SJW" holds about as much water as a sieve.
yes, because if you are going to argue certain people get offended by certain thing, you should ask certain people first, i thought it was obvious

show me a survey and then you will have a point about why X is offensive to certain people

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
NuclearKangaroo said:
yeah that "white straight male" comment just came out of nowhere

i dont believe you
Of course it didn't come out of nowhere. You were complaining about pandering. I pointed out how people tend to complain about pandering only when it's not straight white dudes. Your race comes into that equation nowhere.

And of course you don't believe me. You tend to work backwards from a conclusion.

yes you didnt accuse me of supporting slavery, you only questioned whenever i was pro-slavery or not

totally different
It is totally different, especially since I just questioned whether you understood what the words "social justice" meant.

oh, now we are talking about what the anti-abolitionists say?, did you get tired of talking about video games already?
If you can't argue the point you just tried to make, don't try shifting things around. You were just arguing about slavery yourself. As it is, I gave an example of black people against the abolitionist movement, and you came back with "well, they should choose if they want to be slaves!" even though that wouldn't have just meant slavery for them, but any black unlucky enough to be in a slave state.

If you're just trying to distract from how utterly ridiculous your argument was, it didn't work.

because non-whites live only in america...
And I said that where?

i live in a country full of non-whites, ive lived here my entire life, whites are actually a minority here, ive yet to hear the first person complain about the skin color of the main character of a video game
And you didn't specify you were talking about your country.

Ohhhh, I get it now, you're assuming I did what you did. Nope. Talking about the internet here. More specifically, gaming. Hey, didn't you just fake chastise me for shifting away from gaming? If you wanted me to talk about something else, maybe you should have specified. What your skin tone is and where you live are completely immaterial to me. But you do bring up a good point. Where exactly are you seeing these people if not in your country?

yes, because if you are going to argue certain people get offended by certain thing, you should ask certain people first, i thought it was obvious
Unless you're saying that the people I know who are bothered don't count, this seems redundant and again like you're not reading what I said.

show me a survey and then you will have a point about why X is offensive to certain people
Unless it's your testimony that no people of colour, LGBT individuals, or women are offended, this is pointless and unnecessary. You've had people on this very site indicate they have a problem. Other people in the same groups not having a problem does not negate this, unless in an all-or-nothing argument.

And since you will inevitably point to the first sentence of that last paragraph, I do not think that is your belief. I am using it to illustrate how pointless what you said is. Because really, the only way it's not is if you either think nobody is bothered or you're claiming I believe everyone is. The latter's outright false, leaving only the former. And if it really is the case, you can settle it here by saying it doesn't matter unless everyone's offended.

Either way, I don't care. That people have leveled objections is sufficient. And frankly, I think trying to make this argument is a last clutch at straws.

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
8bitOwl said:
WhiteNachos said:
8bitOwl said:
WhiteNachos said:

Excuse me, but popularity IS by definition measured on wether or not you've heard of them...
I meant you specifically. Popularity isn't measured by whether or not 8bitOwl has heard of them.

I could've worded that better.

Because you honestly believe I'm the exception.

You honestly believe there's more people knowing what's-her-name rather than Scarlett Johansson.
vs. scarlett johnasen no. In general though she's famous.

jethroe498

May 7, 2012
I'm pretty skeptical of this to be honest. This is the laziest way to deal with the issue of under representation. Rather than creating strong unique female characters in their own right, it's just "hey what if these well known characters were all girls instead! Brilliant" Imagine if instead of making an all female Ghostbusters, it was instead an all black Ghostbusters team. That would get really awkward really quick for most consumers, and I feel the same way about this idea.

The second and definitely largest issue facing this idea is how the production will handle the gender angle. My guess; terribly. The writers won't be writing female characters, they'll be writing female stereotypes and exaggerate every feminine aspect to reinforce the idea to the audience. So many female centered films before this have failed for that reason and I see the same thing happening again with this.

Now, I'm not saying this shouldn't be made. Its an interesting idea and it's worth experimenting with well known properties and definitely good to at least /attempt/ to make good female characters. If nothing else, this film will be a learning experience and a good example for future films with female protagonists (Still waiting on that, Marvel. I know you can do it)

Vareoth

Mar 14, 2012
Good, why not. I don't understand why this needs to be such a big deal. I just hope it will be entertaining.