All-Female Ghostbusters Reboot Officially Happening

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Zachary Amaranth said:
Of course it didn't come out of nowhere. You were complaining about pandering. I pointed out how people tend to complain about pandering only when it's not straight white dudes. Your race comes into that equation nowhere.

And of course you don't believe me. You tend to work backwards from a conclusion.
"people complain about pandering only when it's not straight white dudes"

counter example, you

well that was one claim easy to debunk

your comment was made out of place and you tried to imply i was white

Zachary Amaranth said:
It is totally different, especially since I just questioned whether you understood what the words "social justice" meant.
so thats legitimately the conclusion you drew? we have discussed many times before, you saw the context of my comment, and you believed i supported slavery

it was painfully clear my comment was addressing internet social justice

Zachary Amaranth said:
If you can't argue the point you just tried to make, don't try shifting things around. You were just arguing about slavery yourself. As it is, I gave an example of black people against the abolitionist movement, and you came back with "well, they should choose if they want to be slaves!" even though that wouldn't have just meant slavery for them, but any black unlucky enough to be in a slave state.

If you're just trying to distract from how utterly ridiculous your argument was, it didn't work.
my one and only point: let people do what they want, you are now trying to push the topic of slavery into the discussion, first by accusing me of supporting it, then by using slavery as a figure of speech, and now outright talking about what anti-abolitionists say

try to stay on topic

Zachary Amaranth said:
And I said that where?
I wonder why you'd see more of the majority talking about something than the minority.
are minorities, minorities everywhere?

isnt it strange that there are no groups in south america, africa, middle east and asia complaining about white straight male protagonists?

Zachary Amaranth said:
And you didn't specify you were talking about your country.

Ohhhh, I get it now, you're assuming I did what you did. Nope. Talking about the internet here. More specifically, gaming. Hey, didn't you just fake chastise me for shifting away from gaming? If you wanted me to talk about something else, maybe you should have specified. What your skin tone is and where you live are completely immaterial to me. But you do bring up a good point. Where exactly are you seeing these people if not in your country?
a country full of non-white does not complain about white protagonists in agmes

if that isnt a counter example to the whole "offensive to minorities" thing then what is?

meanwhile, how many slaves complain about video games? oh yeah, THAT doesnt have anything to do with the topic

Zachary Amaranth said:
Unless you're saying that the people I know who are bothered don't count, this seems redundant and again like you're not reading what I said.
so you know every minority?

or rather, should all of gaming appeal to you and your group of friends?

Zachary Amaranth said:
Unless it's your testimony that no people of colour, LGBT individuals, or women are offended, this is pointless and unnecessary. You've had people on this very site indicate they have a problem. Other people in the same groups not having a problem does not negate this, unless in an all-or-nothing argument.

And since you will inevitably point to the first sentence of that last paragraph, I do not think that is your belief. I am using it to illustrate how pointless what you said is. Because really, the only way it's not is if you either think nobody is bothered or you're claiming I believe everyone is. The latter's outright false, leaving only the former. And if it really is the case, you can settle it here by saying it doesn't matter unless everyone's offended.

Either way, I don't care. That people have leveled objections is sufficient. And frankly, I think trying to make this argument is a last clutch at straws.
so everyone should try to appeal to the minority of a minority?

if you are arguing a significant amount of people are not satisfied with the portrayal of minorities in mainstream media, then the burden of proof lies on you

you know what, lets leave things like this before they get more heated

i presented my point and you presented yours

QuietlyListening

Aug 5, 2014
Awesome. I'm psyched. I was somewhat skeptical about Bridesmaids, but it turned out to be a pretty good movie. Bill Murray's a tough act to follow though.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
NuclearKangaroo said:
A good rule of thumb is that if you have to change what someone says, don't put it in quotes.

I pointed out how people tend to complain about pandering only when it's not straight white dudes.
It's almost as if I didn't say they only complain in that circumstance, but said that was thee tendency. Or something.

Hey, aren't you one of those "journalistic integrity" folks?

counter example, you
I didn't complain. I rebutted. Sorry this is unclear.

Yes, by editing my quote and lying about my response.

Strange how you can't prove that. The best you have is "you must have meant that." And if you ignore the real reason it came up, you're right.

so thats legitimately the conclusion you drew? we have discussed many times before, you saw the context of my comment, and you believed i supported slavery
We have discussed this many times before, but that doesn't mean that you know what "social justice" is. And since the whole point was to indicate that, the slavery bit should have been taken in kind.

No. No, it was not.

my one and only point: let people do what they want
You responded to anti-abolitionists with an argument about self-determination. You didn't know what you were talking about. But to your other complaint, it was on-topic. To talk about black people who opposed abolition was to point out that people don't necessarily go with their own interests, or automatically side with their own people. I stated this, after offering several other examples, so you had no excuse to get confused.

Since I already specified I was talking about the internet and gaming, you know better.

isnt it strange that there are no groups in south america, africa, middle east and asia complaining about white straight male protagonists?
[citation needed]

Prove there are no groups. None.

if that isnt a counter example to the whole "offensive to minorities" thing then what is?
But you yourself argued they weren't minorities, so that obviously doesn't count if you're being consistent.

Of course, "anecdote" doesn't equal "evidence."

But how many are gamers?

meanwhile, how many slaves complain about video games? oh yeah, THAT doesnt have anything to do with the topic
I imagine slaves have bigger things to worry about. But then, unless your intent is to pull the "gaza defense," that's probably not a good thing for you to reference. Hell, your profile claims you're from a country that banned violent video games. Your argument that it doesn't come up might be impacted by factors other than "minorities" not caring.

Strawman, as I just said I don't have to. And you even quoted that below.

Never said that, either.

Again with putting words in my mouth. Who has said everyone should try to appeal to a minority of a minority?

if you are arguing a significant amount of people are not satisfied with the portrayal of minorities in mainstream media, then the burden of proof lies on you
But I'm not, I just said I'm not, and you just quoted me saying I'm not.

I presented my point and you misrepresented it. Repeatedly.

And lest we forget, this started because you complained about pandering. I merely commented that it's funny how it only tends to be an issue when someone other than the straight white dude is "pandered" to.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Zachary Amaranth said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
A good rule of thumb is that if you have to change what someone says, don't put it in quotes.

Anyway, yeah. I hate pandering. Only straight white dudes should be pandered to

how is my interpretation wrong?

arent you sarcastically saying "Only straight white dudes should be pandered to", implying that people complain about pandering only when it's not straight white dudes?

Zachary Amaranth said:
I pointed out how people tend to complain about pandering only when it's not straight white dudes.
It's almost as if I didn't say they only complain in that circumstance, but said that was thee tendency. Or something.

Hey, aren't you one of those "journalistic integrity" folks?
oh am i journalist now?

want me to quote you again? it looks like you are not aware of what you said

Zachary Amaranth said:
counter example, you
I didn't complain. I rebutted. Sorry this is unclear.
oh so you are not complaining about white people being pandered? that still makes your comment suspicious

Zachary Amaranth said:
Yes, by editing my quote and lying about my response.
Anyway, yeah. I hate pandering. Only straight white dudes should be pandered to
Zachary Amaranth said:
Strange how you can't prove that. The best you have is "you must have meant that." And if you ignore the real reason it came up, you're right.
you comment was out of place, that doesnt need proving, unless i was talking about race before, was i talking about race before?

NuclearKangaroo said:
i hate Social Justice, now i dont know if, when an artist wants to do some gender swapping, it is because he/she wants to experiment with something different or is because of pandering

i guess ill wait and see
oops no i wasnt

Zachary Amaranth said:
We have discussed this many times before, but that doesn't mean that you know what "social justice" is. And since the whole point was to indicate that, the slavery bit should have been taken in kind.

No. No, it was not.
ok ill keep in mind you dont remember past conversations, ok, internet social justice, i dont support slavery

Zachary Amaranth said:
my one and only point: let people do what they want
You responded to anti-abolitionists with an argument about self-determination. You didn't know what you were talking about. But to your other complaint, it was on-topic. To talk about black people who opposed abolition was to point out that people don't necessarily go with their own interests, or automatically side with their own people. I stated this, after offering several other examples, so you had no excuse to get confused.
are you an anti-abolitionist? then why are you accusing me of supporting slavery?

look, as, OUTRAGEOUS as this might be, not every topic in the world has somethign to do with slavery, i wasnt thinking about anti-abolitionists when you mentioned your argument, i am not that obsessed with others people's race

why should people side with their own people, always? shouldnt they be allowed to do what they want? by putting people in race shaped cages, telling them they should behave like this or that, you are ignoring the fact they are humans and they have their own aspirations and morals, and not everything has to do with the freakin' race

im baffled people honestly give a shit about something so utterly meaningless, despite the fact i hate my country right now (wow look at me not siding with my own people) i am atleast grateful i grew up in a society that never gave a flying fuck about someone else's race

Zachary Amaranth said:
Since I already specified I was talking about the internet and gaming, you know better.
im gonna blow your mind here:

theres internet in gaming everywhere in the world, even places with non-whites

Zachary Amaranth said:
[citation needed]

Prove there are no groups. None.
there are no mayor groups, atleast that i know off, is like asking me "prove me there is no chair in that spot", the chair is not there, what there is to prove?

Zachary Amaranth said:

But you yourself argued they weren't minorities, so that obviously doesn't count if you're being consistent.

Of course, "anecdote" doesn't equal "evidence."

But how many are gamers?
i tend to use the terms minorities and non-whites as the same, since they usually mean the same for americans, but ok, "offensive to non-whites"

im obviously counting gamers here, all the gamers ive met, ive yet to encounter the first that complains about something so insignificant as race

Zachary Amaranth said:
I imagine slaves have bigger things to worry about. But then, unless your intent is to pull the "gaza defense," that's probably not a good thing for you to reference. Hell, your profile claims you're from a country that banned violent video games. Your argument that it doesn't come up might be impacted by factors other than "minorities" not caring.
the gaza defense...

werent you the one who brought slaves to the discussion?

oh wait, you did!

but are you seriously pro-slavery and miscegnation and shit?
look at you, blaming other people for things you did, what would those sad palestinians think about you?

Zachary Amaranth said:
Strawman, as I just said I don't have to. And you even quoted that below.

Never said that, either.

Again with putting words in my mouth. Who has said everyone should try to appeal to a minority of a minority?[/quote]

then why did you bring your friends up?

Zachary Amaranth said:
But I'm not, I just said I'm not, and you just quoted me saying I'm not.

I presented my point and you misrepresented it. Repeatedly.
ok then i legitimately misunderstood your argument and i apologize

Zachary Amaranth said:
And lest we forget, this started because you complained about pandering. I merely commented that it's funny how it only tends to be an issue when someone other than the straight white dude is "pandered" to.
you just made an issue about it

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Verlander said:
Lightknight said:
I'm not sure how I feel about race flipping or gender flipping as a gimmick. It always feels exploitative to me if not outright sexist/racist.

But I suppose I'm in the minority on that opinion. Either way, hopefully the movie is good.
No, I feel this way, but I don't think that this is the case - I was under the impression that this is more of a sequel than a remake, so the characters will be different. If it's actually the same characters, then yeah, it's exploitative.

I'm terrified that they're going to cast this person:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2313103/?ref_=tt_cl_t9

Please lord no... one of the few actors/actresses who's appearance in a film impacts my desire to watch it or not.
I'm more concerned that they'll turn this movie into an action film rather than the comedy IP it needs to stay.

But my issue with the gender/race angle is that it's specifically a gimmick to exploit those demographics as a draw. So even if they aren't the same characters I still have an issue with it. I feel the same way if a cast is all male when it doesn't need to be (for example, I understand a movie about Navy Seals or such being all male, but something like a generic comedy would be weird).

I think we should have a problem with these. That these should still be seen as sexist or racist when the gimmick is sex or race. Rewarding companies for doing this just perpetuates the problem. We need to encourage balanced casting where the most legitimate actor that they can afford gets the role regardless of gender or race.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Lightknight said:
Verlander said:
I'm more concerned that they'll turn this movie into an action film rather than the comedy IP it needs to stay.

But my issue with the gender/race angle is that it's specifically a gimmick to exploit those demographics as a draw. So even if they aren't the same characters I still have an issue with it. I feel the same way if a cast is all male when it doesn't need to be (for example, I understand a movie about Navy Seals or such being all male, but something like a generic comedy would be weird).

I think we should have a problem with these. That these should still be seen as sexist or racist when the gimmick is sex or race. Rewarding companies for doing this just perpetuates the problem. We need to encourage balanced casting where the most legitimate actor that they can afford gets the role regardless of gender or race.
Well, it depends on how relevant the "all-female" aspect is to the storyline. I'm guessing, considering who they've signed on to direct it, that the casting isn't integral, but could be pleasantly surprised.

I'd not considered the idea of it switching to an action based format, now I'm terrified that will be the case.

Jacob Bawden

Mar 15, 2013
RA92 said:
aceman67 said:
RA92 said:
As long as they keep Melissa McCarthy the fuck out.
And how far did you have to walk to get to the left field that little tid-bit came out of? If your only reasoning for her not being included is her weight, shame on you sir, because she is a damn funny lady.
Ugh, people and their presumptions. I don't like McCarthy's current brand of low-brow cussy humour. She spiraled downwards from acting as human beings in Mike & Molly and Gilmore Girls to a being caricatures in The Heat and Tammy. All her humor these days seem to be derived from her body or her hygiene or her foul mouth. I'd rather we have Poehler and Fey, who can be comedic without being crass.
Poehler and Fey might be fine, but having them together in the film would probably be too much without major revisions to their established character roles. Both play only slightly varied models of the same character in almost everything, Poehler being energetic to Fey's downer-with-optimism.

I, and me not being a fan of her at all really, do kinda want McCarthy cast. This could be the film she shows she more than just "fat-loud-obnoxious-crude/but with a good heart" character she seems to be thrust into more and more (in movies; tv, she actually has a tad more range).

What I want; cast McCarthy as the team Igon.

Make her the straight-man of the group, the uber-smart science go-to. For all that is holy, do NOT make her this movie's Bill Murray. Break her mold. Make her the kind of person who when someone tries to make a joke about her weight or intelligence, just pulls out facts and lists as to why she is how she is but doesn't get she was supposed to be insulted. Let her not get jokes. Let her make jokes only she'd find funny. Make her as different in G3 from what she was in The Heat... or Identity Thief... or Tammy...