Alleged Obsidian Dev Lashes Out at Alpha Protocol

disorder340

Jan 13, 2010
All I can say this game is a complete failure. They should never release it. Waste of money, but it is too late to cry. Annoying, bugged, kinda bad controlling, wtf dialog system, etc. Its even more fun to play with google pacman.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Well Obsidian doesn't have a long history of building their own game from the ground up. They have capable people, no doubt. But their best work has come in cases where another developer handed an IP over. Still, I expected better. I still want to try it, but now I want to see a lot of gameplay footage because all I'm hearing about is glitches and clunky mechanics.

Also, whoever this source is at Obsidian should have the guts to say these things to his own company and not the media. It sounds like he assumed his bosses wouldn't listen.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
I see no mention of specifics by this supposed disgruntled dev. What systems specifically were "Just stupid"? To be honest, at this point it still sounds like just shit talk and it'll take a bit more to convince me the game really is all that bad. I have no doubt that the polish will not be as good as certain other games.

But lack of polish does not necessarily make a bad game in and of itself. Though it can contribute to it, certainly. However...best to reserve judgement for now. Or let the cries of "FAIL! FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLL!" ring across this topic and ignore anything that might be good about it.

DividedUnity

Oct 19, 2009
PipBoy2000 said:
DividedUnity said:
I got this game 2 days ago and I havent put it down since. It doesnt deserve the harsh reviews its getting because its actually quite fun to play through. It has its flaws but there are many other games out that are much worse and have gotten better ratings.
What are its flaws in your eyes? Anything disastrous enough to sound like the stuff 'the tired dev' was talking about?
No not really. The character animations are sub-par and the ending was a bit anti-climactic. Those were the only real gripes I had with it. The story wasnt up there with the greats but it had some real twists and turns which suprised me a few times. A nice change from the usual predictable plots most games have today.

Honestly I think the disgruntled dev is so because of some other reason. The game on a whole was good.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Bretty said:
horrible horrible game.

Another reason why WoW is still here. So many MMOs poorly executed. And it seems to be stemming from Devs who think they are amazing, when they clearly aren't.
Pardon me, this is a single-player RPG, I do believe you've misunderstood.

Anyways, yes, the game feels unfinished and dated, but I enjoy it, even if it probably would've been better for Obsidian if they just scrapped the game, kept the core concepts and started from square-one with some sort of engine that would support sandbox RPG gameplay, such as the RAGE engine, as opposed to the rather linear, though well-written experience we did get.

Cheesebob

Oct 31, 2008
This could've easily been a spy type Mass Effect.

To all you plebs who are saying "it would'nt of worked" etc etc.

Would you say that about Mass Effect if that crashed and burned, because it seems they are the same type of RPG

tmujir955

Oct 12, 2009
As I read this article, the page is covered in Alpha Protocol advertisements.

Oh, the irony. Absolutely delicious.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Hiphophippo said:
This is really surprising to me. I was expecting a pretty good reaction from this game.
Same, well... Not really. Last year I though it looked meh, but when they delayed it I figured the game would be better for it. I suppose not...

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
The problem, I understand, is that the game mechanics themselves just aren't polished, but the story and presentation (though the graphics are lousy) are good.

Two Angels

Dec 25, 2009
I'm already on my third play through and am loving the game. There are glitches (not enough to spoil the game for me) but the story is amazng and the sense that you actually can affect what's going on is immense. Buy it if you love a good narrative and are not to bothered about graphics.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Generally speaking, writing a bad review is never fun, and only a sadist would derive pleasure from crucifying a videogame in public.--Destructoid
Lies, there's nothing more fun than venting some serious rage over a bad game or movie. It is then that we let our vocabularies run wild by trying our best to come up with the wittiest ways of insulting someone's hard work that inevitably turned out to be crap. Granted I'm glad that I don't find myself ranting about bad games or movies on a regular basis, but I get immense pleasure from stomping the truly bad games and movies into the dirt.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
KeyMaster45 said:
Generally speaking, writing a bad review is never fun, and only a sadist would derive pleasure from crucifying a videogame in public.--Destructoid
Lies, there's nothing more fun than venting some serious rage over a bad game or movie. It is then that we let our vocabularies run wild by trying our best to come up with the wittiest ways of insulting someone's hard work that inevitably turned out to be crap. Granted I'm glad that I don't find myself ranting about bad games or movies on a regular basis, but I get immense pleasure from stomping the truly bad games and movies into the dirt.
Not only that, Bad Reviews are more fun to write, more sensational, and attract more readers. It's one of the hypocrisies of Critics that a good critic needs to deal with.

Jan 23, 2009
Bretty said:
horrible horrible game.

Another reason why WoW is still here. So many MMOs poorly executed. And it seems to be stemming from Devs who think they are amazing, when they clearly aren't.
wait... what? Alpha Protocol isnt an MMO. However I agree with your statement.

CloudKiller

Rather Irritated Mage
Jun 30, 2008
I just finished a playthrough today and I can say that's it's buggy at times and the story felt as if it lacked something although I did like the way in which the order you do the missions in effects the story. The graphics are a joke although I've never been a graphics whore.

I rolled a field agent/spy and can safely say that the stealth becomes hideously overpowered after the first mission, while fun at first it removes the challenge especially in the final boss fights.

I also thought the ending (at least the one that I got because I assume their must be multiple ones) was lackluster

I literally sailed off into the sunset with the girl

Overall it's not a bad game but I enjoyed KotOR 2 a lot more.

TheLazyGeek

Nov 7, 2009
This game is crap on the PC, mostly because of the weird freezing and wonky controls and gameplay. I wanted to get into the story and characters and all, but I just can't play the game.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Veldt Falsetto said:
Bretty said:
horrible horrible game.

I'm sorry wha? Alpha Protocol isn't an mmo...

Either way OT I was really looking forward to this, I'm gonna have to read some reviews now so that sucks...
I think what he's saying is that the reason why WoW dominates is because the competition generally blows chips and doesn't execute their projects well. Almost universally when an MMO is made, it doesn't have half of the stuff it was supposed to upon release, very little in the way of content, and is usually broken in critical ways. Part of it is a lack of direction I think, some of it is lack of skill with developers biting off more than they can actually deliver, and of course producers wanting the game out the door as soon as it's remotely viable to start making money/returns ont he investment. WoW was simply directed very well, had a huge development budget, and people who were willing to keep their hands off until it was done. Really "Old Republic" is the only other MMO that has had this perfect storm of events.

Obsidian is a good team, but I think they are poorly managed, and have lacked direction since the "Black Isle" days. That, and I think they waffle waaay too much instead of sticking to their guns. For example I think they could have turned KoTR II into a great game, but one rumor I heard was that they were forced to basically go with an earlier build of the game (much like what happened with Troika and "Temple Of Elemental Evil") because of content the producers were uncomfortable with.

Oddly, the stated problems with Alpha Protocol seem to very much match the MO of Obsidian's other failures. We'll see what happens when it's released, for all we know it will be an absolutly awesome game. I'm taking a "wait and see" approach on this one though.

Despite everything I actually have high expectations for "New Vegas" however and I suspect it will be Obsidian's "salvation". Fallout was their brain child to begin with, and most of the work for the game was already done since they are basically using a tweaked version of the engine for "Fallout 3". Assuming they don't pull punches with content/writing, and Bethesda/producers stay off their back content wise, I imagine all the chips will fall properly for that product.

At any rate, I was sort of hoping Alpha Protocol would be the true second coming of "Deus Ex" but it appears that it's not to be. If the game does turn out to be a train wreck, or simply mediocre, we will probably wind up having to wait for Rockstar's "Agent" and the actual Deus Ex sequel that is apparently being produced.

All my rambling aside though, the source could be false despite how convincing it sounds. Getting a 2/10 review is horrible, considering that Dynasty Warriors games usually score higher. That any noteworthy reviewer would pan that game that much, is noteworthy.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
Straying Bullet said:
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. became bunches of fun when the modding community started and flourished, I hope there is much love for this game as well to allow just that. Otherwise, well, this game is under my radar, can't say I really give a damn and it seems I was kinda right.

To be fair STALKER already had a great premise, design and atmosphere. I think people could overlook the bugs as a labor of love for the game. (I did) Same goes for Knights of the old republic 2, Vampire the Masquerade and a few others. If the same love picks up for this game then I may consider getting it. All those other games suffered from a lack of polish where as this game just sounds......well, crap. Until that unlikely day I'll give this one a miss

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
It doesn't look like a terrible game, but it doesn't look that great either.

I'll give it a look when it's lower in price...

...way, way lower.