Alleged Obsidian Dev Lashes Out at Alpha Protocol

nipsen

Sep 20, 2008
Fenixius said:
Everyone else should be ashamed of how useless their posts are: Noone cares what you've heard, only what you've played and are actually going to tell us about.
..it's the internet. People on the internet will be forcefully pushing a "majority view" that then dominates all the console magazines, shapes the opinion of everyone in publishing, etc. In spite of many, many people disagreeing.

Then when a game actually is changed based on that majority opinion everyone has - it sells next to nothing, even as it goes down in price, on a re-launch, along with the patch - that "finally adress 'community' concerns".

That's how the internet works. The only point with it is to make sure that anything except Halo, Modern Warfare and Mass Effect is dropped by publishers, so that any games I like will never be made, or sponsored other than as an exception.

Joabbuac said:
Thats why the reviews are all over the place...1up pretty much gave it a gushing review yet knocked it down a few points from perfect for the gameplay.
..it didn't really knock it for gameplay, I think. If you watch the video-review, you get the narrative laid out: everyone thinks "this kind of game" should be like Mass Effect 2. And when it's not like Mass Effect 2, then it's either "buggy", or "broken". While the mechanics actually are solid enough, and no less or more quirky than any other game based on the U3 engine.

This is what we're seeing "everyone" saying here as well. Up until recently, Mass Effect, Kotor, any role-playing game, etc - have had a graphical representation of the hidden dice-rolls going on in the background, and that was perfectly fine. But then suddenly "we" hate that, and think it should be done away with. Baldur's Gate, Fallout, Planescape Torment, Morrowind, etc, all stupid crap. And if you actually read the review(s) on Cnet, Joystiq and Destructoid, they are complaining about game-mechanics specifically (in the same way, sentence by sentence) - and then justifying a lot of completely unrelated griefs on those problems, without going into detail on those.

I mean, trust me, I do enjoy a harsh review. But the "everyone says" review is just extremely badly written. It's also not a majority view, even though the internet seems to think so. But on the internet, that the game is statistically better reviewed on a monstrous majority of gaming sites - that just reinforces the idea that the destructoid review is honest, doesn't it..

And of course - as you can see, when publications start to make headlines out of an anonymous poster on the internet claiming to be a developer - then you know you're dealing with the unbridled truth, right?

No offense, The Escapist and Destructoid - but the Sun does more quality reporting and writing than this.

Vapus

May 15, 2010
Straying Bullet said:
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. became bunches of fun when the modding community started and flourished, I hope there is much love for this game as well to allow just that. Otherwise, well, this game is under my radar, can't say I really give a damn and it seems I was kinda right.
So True, I still recommend Stalker one with The oblivion lost mod To ANYONE who has not played this Real Gem of a Game.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
When I first saw the ad for it in a copy of the Playstation magazine (I didn't buy it, someone gave it to me[footnote]Just saying I'm not a PS3 fanboy ;)[/footnote]) I thought the game had a lot of good things going for it but I never read further into it. Now, from what I hear, this game has been ruined by someone messing with the chain of command.

It makes me sad to think that yet another egocentric person has ruined something for everyone else.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
nipsen said:
[
This is what we're seeing "everyone" saying here as well. Up until recently, Mass Effect, Kotor, any role-playing game, etc - have had a graphical representation of the hidden dice-rolls going on in the background, and that was perfectly fine. But then suddenly "we" hate that, and think it should be done away with.
Hilariously, that's not even what Alpha Protocol does. It has conefire, like every other shooter ever.

nipsen

Sep 20, 2008
GloatingSwine said:
Hilariously, that's not even what Alpha Protocol does. It has conefire, like every other shooter ever.
lol. Yeah, wondered about that. Got to play it a bit since that, and I thought it was going to be something extremely quirky that made no sense except in a rule-technical way.. wrong.. :/

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
"The Executive Producer for the game, Chris Parker (also an owner of the company), seemed to think he was the world's greatest designer ever, and created all these absolutely shitty systems and wouldn't listen to any of the real designers or devs about things that just didn't work. And you can't exactly argue with one of the owners of the company when he doesn't want to listen.

Strange thing to say when one of the Lead Designers of the game is another of Obsidian's founders and it's Chief Creative Officer. Sounds like bullshit to me.

chuckman1

Cool
Jan 15, 2009
Why does everyone hate this? Maybe it's because I'm an rpg fan but I love this game so far (got it for 7 dollars on xbox) Sure it has a kind of low framerate at times and (one time only)I ran in to a glitch in a boss fight that allowed me to punch the boss repeatedly against a wall until I won (which I was actually happy about since that boss had destroyed me about 20 times) but I like the choices. If I want to I can kill fellow CIA agents. I can meet the leader of a terrorist organization and kill him or hear out his side of the story and let him live. I can kill the girl who starts shooting me out of nowhere or talk to her (well talk AT her) or just shoot her.

It's awesome.