alright guys...can you help me with this? (school related)

docSpitfire

Jun 13, 2011
StBishop said:
A true random sample is impossible really, however this site is a bad site to use.
The suburb in which you conduct this survey would have a large impact. For example there are (in my town) student suburbs, rich suburbs, bogan suburbs, young family suburbs, industrial suburbs with a few houses in, immigrant suburbs which started off as government housing and were bought out, woggy (Mediterranean nationalities) suburbs, Pommy Suburbs, Poor suburbs etc etc.

So yeah doing a survey in my current neighbourhood would result in a very high percentage of "Health freak" answers and "rich kid" answers and a few "student" answers. So things like those healthy microwave dinners, delicious shit you can't get without rich parents, and instant noodles.

In my old suburb you should expect a fuck tonne of instant noodles, and various types of asian foods, because I lived in a majority student/immigrant area and the large portion of international students who are Asian live in that suburb, the grocery stores reflect this.[/quote]

That is pretty much exactly what I meant when I said that "no true random sample is possible" left it in the quote above and everything. I think standing in a local mall and flagging people down is the best way (because people will travel a way out of their way to get to a mall) but even then your sample is going to be exclusively "people who go to the mall and have the patience to answer a questionnaire..." and still not an unbiased sample. In the case of preferred genres of literature that the Escapist is going to produce a considerably more biased survey than at a local grocery store and the grocery store bias can be handwaved almost entirely by saying "random sample from this neighborhood" and just verify that all questioned live within a certain radius of the store. (still isn't completely unbiased but by that point it becomes negligible)

Ruwrak

Sep 15, 2009
cyrogeist said:
right well i have a school wide project thingy where we have to ask 50 random people some kind of survey question. i was planning on doing "what is your favorite current gen gaming console" but my teacher apparently thinks that like...1 out of 100 people play video games...so now i have "what is you favorite type of book." (fiction, non-fiction. that kind of stuff)
also my school is pulling the biggest dick move since the dress codes. it went from being due the 31st to tomorrow...oh and i chose this site because i need 50 random people. you can't anymore random than the internet right?
so yeah that question: what is you favorite type of book. (fiction, non-fiction. that kind of stuff)
soo yeah please answer i need like 50 people...
EDIT: maybe i should mention it can be any type of book and not just Fiction and non-fiction. or i should ask to be more specific please.
EDIT 2: alright so maybe this isn't random...whatever the thing allows it to be random/biased
EDIT 3: well i got 50 people now. thanks everyone!
A tip for when you are making another one of these things is to include a poll with the different genres. That way you won't have to count and arrange 50+ answers :)

tombman888

Jul 12, 2009
Fiction, Fantasy. Reading the Dragon Keeper right now... its not that great to me, but i haven't read much.