Alt+Escape: Today I Die

Clashero

Aug 15, 2008
Brotherofwill said:
Clashero said:
Brotherofwill said:
Man that thing had emo written all over it, well until the cheesy Hollywood ending.

Am I the only one not digging this?
That's a rather unintelligent thing to say.
The initial poem was powerful in its darkness, sorrow and simplicity, much like a well-done Haiku. To see it change into something equally beautiful but more optimistic as you progressed was very emotionally strong.
Also, the second ending was amazing:
if you choose not to follow the boy, the poem changes into "Free world, full of beauty, today I swim, better by myself"
I already said that my emo comment was a joke, just a silly reference to the title of the game and poetry as the subject matter.

I honestly thought that it was pretty mediocre, usually I'm all over games that strive to be different or more intelectually challenging. Second ending was the only thing I really liked :D
Ahhh I see. That's what I get for replying to comments without reading the entire thread through. My bad.

blank0000

Oct 3, 2007
Alt-Escape is easily my favorite feature on the escapist :D and I really liked this game, just wish it lasted a bit longer.

ygetoff

Oct 22, 2008
Man, that game was good. Better then Effing Hail.
I didn't even know there was a second ending until I read this thread, and then unlocked it, and laughed my head off because I realized that the first time I played it, I nearly unlocked the second ending. The boy was swimming away, but I put them together because he looked sad.
Bestest non-violent flash game ever.

Alex_P

All I really do is threadcrap
Mar 27, 2008
Without the second ending, it would just be cute but trite. With the second ending, this is a work I can actually, well, kinda respect.

-- Alex

AkujiDelano

Mar 7, 2009
I'd heard of this before, from Jay is Games, and absolutely loved it. I'm really happy it's working its way round the Internet now.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
The only ending I received was being able to out-swim "Death", made the ocean looks a little bit happier, and uh, his bf came along and took her away ...
What's the other ending?

+ I really loved it, specially the music. :)

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Brotherofwill said:
Man that thing had emo written all over it, well until the cheesy Hollywood ending.

Am I the only one not digging this?
I don't know if I'd call it emo, per se.
Stereotypically, yes it is emo. I found it extremely cute. Sorry I have emotions.

fedpayne

Sep 4, 2008
Can't seem to swim away from those stupid things to get free. Whenever I manage it, the girl always ends up off the screen, so I think I'm missing something. Is there a trick to avoiding them when you swim?

FROGGEman2

Queen of France
Mar 14, 2009
I view this in the same area as PixelJunk: Eden, in that it is a re imagining of an existing genre of game. To me, PJ:E was a re imagining of the platformer, and this to me was a re imagining of the Point-and-Click adventure game. Great game, really beautiful.

in_95

Jul 2, 2008
After all cynical and bullsheeting the game in my head I finished it without hints, and it was actually pretty good. Though to the people who said "OMG it is poetry in motion"- get over yourselves. It was clever, but not THAT clever.