Alternative medicine...

Harlief

Jul 8, 2009
To quote Tim Minchin: "Do you know what they called alternative medicine that's been proved to work? Medicine."
[Edit] Ninja'd by the guy above me.

Naeo

Dec 31, 2008
Herbal stuff does work, depending what it claims to do. Cure cancer? Almost certainly not. Fix a sore throat/cough/congestion/upset stomach/etc? Absolutely. Herbal cures absolutely do good for the body in many situations. The simplest example (and this is really hardly "herbal" but whatever) is hot brewed tea (loose leaf, not teabag) with honey helps alleviate a sore throat.

As for other "alternative medicine" like homeopathy or crystal healing? Absolute bullshit.

Nergy

Jul 21, 2011
Alternative Medicine has either been proven not to work or has been proven to work and simply called "Medicine".

You seriously think pharmaceutical companies are going to let Alternative Medicine businesses have something that genuinely works all to themselves? Hell no, they'd snatch that up, research it, test it, develop it and make mega-bucks selling it to hospitals (I'm describing the US system, we have a different system here in the UK).

How would you react if i told you i took an alternative medicine made from tree bark to rid me of a headache, many would raise a brow, but all i've actually had is an aspirin.

If a doctor tells you to try alternative medicine, stand up and walk out of the Doctor's office, because he's one feather away from being a quack.

Everyone who is on the fence about Alternative Medicine, please watch Tim Minchin's "Storm" (someone has kindly posted it in this thread) and then feel free to slap anyone who acts like the girl called Storm in the video.

NiPah

May 8, 2009
SckizoBoy said:
You read the topic title so... your thoughts please...

Personally, I'm unsure. Some of the time, I find myself agreeing with Richard Dawkins and his rather... acerbic comments about it. However, having grown up around a couple of people (read: my parents) who know a lot about Chinese herbology, I can vouch for 'TCM' (traditional Chinese medicine) which I/they have tested... primarily on myself/themselves/my sisters...

You find me recovering from a cold (I actually recovered a few days ago after a couple straight days of having herbal teas and manuka and just debased myself on a truckload of junk food) with a slight niggling cough and I've spent the last half hour alternately sipping and sniffing a hot concoction of nin jiom (I haven't the faintest idea either how it is anglicised from Cantonese or what it is in English).

Quackery? Or legitimate?
Quackery, alternative medicine is just a tool for entrepreneurs to get more money from sick people. If you're not into that whole research and science thing then I've got some great items for you to buy, they are from the Native American tribe who have been around since before the Egyptians, their cure all medicine can be yours now for a low price just pm me.

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
It's "alternative" because it's an alternative to actual, proven medicine. It's all bollocks. Healing crystals and all this bollocks. Just like faith healing, people need to stop saying this shit will cure cancer and whatnot, your keeping people from proper doctors.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
If it was scientifically proven to work it wouldn't be alternative medicine. It would just be medicine

PurePareidolia

Nov 26, 2008
"Alternative medicine, by definition has either not been proven to work, or has been proven not to work. Do you know what they call alternative medicine that has been proven to work? medicine."

Tim Minchin is great.

CAMDAWG

Jul 27, 2011
For some "alternative" herbal stuff, the active ingredients are just what are used in proper, tested medicine. For an example, I've seen people spruiking willow tree products as an alternative painkiller, better than the nasty big pharma crap. However, any person with a high school knowledge of chemistry would be able to tell you that it's just salicylic acid, which is essentially the same as aspirin, except that aspirin won't burn your throat when you take it.

But yeah, as many people have already said, alternative medicines that are proven to work are just called medicine, and are refined to a high level of quality.

DaJoW

Aug 17, 2010
I do not believe anything without a proven, positive effect on illness should be called medicine, regardless of what word you place in front of it. Alternative medicine is, for the most part, a scam through and through, with homeopathy leading the charge of course, selling water for hundreds of dollars per bottle. I especially dislike it because the Greens here in Sweden have managed to convince Parliament to give an "alternative healthcare clinic" huge funds from taxpayer money, and said they await clinical studies proving its efficacy. Not studies on its efficacy, studies proving its efficacy.

My main concern with it is that it is much the same as "prayer healing": People with real, serious illnesses go to these people instead of doctors, and so die from disease we can cure or at least treat. The reason "Western medicine" dominates the healthcare landscape isn't because of imperialism or anything, it's because it works.

The Clown

Don't bother running
Jun 29, 2009
I saw this thread and I have decided to comment because this topic strikes quite close to home for me. At the moment my grandmother is suffering from pulmonary hypertension and is expected to die within a year or two if left untreated, she has recently gone to take some tests and she will be seeing the cardiologist in a month or two. My mother is a doctor and a strong believer in modern medicine whilst her sister, my aunt, is a practiser of alternative medicine, herbalism, and chinese medicine, she believes that it is my grandmothers current medicine which is combating her auto-immune response that is causing this illness, there is no scientific evidence for this ever to have happened and she is not only trying to stop my grandmother from seeing the doctor to who was going to put her on medication which would most likely save her life and let her live on for over a decade longer but is also bullying her and forcing her to come to herbalists who have put her on a suspiciously expensive set of herbs which I doubt can cure such complex conditions. My grandmother lives with my aunt in london and is being prevented by my aunt to talk to my mother or to even think of going to the cardiologist who in her eyes is just a legal drug dealer who poisons society and kills people. My grandmothers life is at stake because of this and we are finding it hard to do anything to help due to where we live and the situation, we are currently trying to get her to move in with us until we can make her better but things aren't looking good. She is an amazing woman and has done nothing but help her children and grandchildren, she has given up all her life savings she kept after fleeing iran during the revolution for us, and gave her house to my aunt who has now forcefully delegated her a single cramped room in the corner of the house whilst she fills the rest of it with her spoilt child's things and her cats. I accepted her belief in alternative medicine up until now, but there has to be a point where they should realise that it cannot actually save lives.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
In the words of the brilliant Tim Minchin.
"You know what they call alternative medicine that's been proved to work? Medicine."

flamingjimmy

Jan 11, 2010
All a load of bollocks, if it works its just medicine.

Also, lol at all the weak anecdotal evidence in this thread. Someone on the first page credited traditional chinese medicine with curing his common cold, after two days of constantly taking the 'medicine'. Oh wow, it made a cold disappear after two days! I wonder what else could do that, oh I know: Doing jack shit, colds often go away after a couple of days. A classic example of confirmation bias if I ever saw one.

regalphantom

Feb 10, 2011
A couple of things. The OP said that he recovered from a cold after a few days of herbal teas and such. Here's the thing. Most people should recover from a cold within a couple of days anyways. I can't remember exactly what it's called, but it's a psychological phenomenon that is common throughout society.

On alternative medicines as a whole, I'll say this. Probably upwards of 90% of them are complete bull. They don't work and there are only two reasons they exist, because people of questionable morals can sell them to gullible people, and because said gullible people tell their gullible friends and they spread that way. 10% of those work because they contain chemical compounds which actually work. That being said, those compounds are what appears in 'modern' medicine, and modern medicine provides those compounds in a concentrated and well regulated and controlled form for maximum results, which is extremely important since there is no way to properly regulate the chemical input from herbs and teas without knowing the exact content and absorption rate found in what you're consuming. That's it. The majority of this stuff is, for the lack of a better expression, 'snake oil', and that which is not western medicine has already figured out how it works and has improved the delivery method.

Gramzies

Nov 13, 2011
There isn't a such thing as "alternative" medicine. Only medicine that works and stuff that doesn't.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
I'd be more concerned overall in the degree of faith people show in conventional medicines produced by pharmaceutical companies.

Between logistical flaws in double-blind research methodologies, and the number of drugs that in effect say 'We think it does this, but we honestly have no idea, how it actually works', there's more than enough to be concerned about.

Alternative medicines on the other hand run the complete range from things that are so improbable it'd almost be more plausible to believe in magic, to well-known and long-established folk remedies whose effectiveness is just as well established as any modern medicine. (See above for how flimsy that can be mind you.)

But at the end of the day, don't take anything on faith. Alternative medicine often hasn't been tested at all, but mainstream medicine doesn't have as much proof as it likes to pretend about exactly how or why anything does what it does. (Or even that it actually works at all. The Placebo effect is much stronger than you might expect, and quite a bit more complicated to compensate for than researchers have tended to assume in the past. - There is a fair chance we have a bunch of treatments whose apparent effectiveness is closely related to the number of measurable side effects they produce...)

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
jimahaff said:
I am actually a college student, and one of my internationally known professors told me about this. so ya jokes on you.

I may not have explained it as well as he did, but I think i got the gist across.
You didn't explain it well, or provide any actual credentials or evidence, and you're speaking contrary to how medical advances work.

So "ya," joke's on you.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Alternative medicine seems bullshit to me. It's total placebo...

If there was a cure for a common cold, it wouldn't be sold without prescription in the local corner shop next to the milk aisle... It will be a freaking massive corporate chain worth trillions... Same with all the other alternative medicines... Like ones to cure aches and pains... Bullshit.

Brian Hendershot

Mar 3, 2010
A bunch of naysayers around here.

Anyhow, the trick is to find true "traditional alternatives" to Western medicine as opposed to anything just labeled "alternative" medicine or "ancient Chinese secrets." People will do anything to make a quick buck and a lot of people are guilty of just buying anything that looks Asian or exotic. There is a massive difference between the alternative medicine you buy at Wal-Mart and the getting medicine from your local traditional Tibetan Doctor (And good luck with that. There are less then twenty full trained Tibetan Doctors in the Western World).

My advice? Do one of the following. Make a friend who is actually knowledgeable in that sort of thing or go to a store that sells that stuff specifically and ask for help. Too many people like to screw people out of their money that are rightly afraid of shooting their bodies full of drugs.

Also, I was doing some legit research for a paper and found that in traditional Tibetan medicine, people's immune system's were often strengthen by meditation. Then again, those people live a lot healthier then us so there could be more to that then meets the eye.