Amateur Film Makers Tease Impressive New Half-Life Project

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Oh yeah, this is Half-life alright; a minute long video of some dude running away from cheap-looking effects.

Maybe I'm missing the point here, but this looks like crap.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
God damn it, I want a Half Life movie! It's got summer action flick written all over it! And I don't care what anyone says, it'd be way better than some movie about a guy in a comic book.

steamweedlegoblin

Apr 28, 2010
dathwampeer said:
Also I've never played half life. It was a little before my time as a serious gamer. Well the second one wasn't but I didn't fancy jumping into it after not playing the first. But black mesa? The ongoing joke reffered to in portal on several occasions... does this mean that both games are in the same continuity?
Black Mesa is where Gordan Freeman worked. It's where the incident occurred in the first Half-Life game that started the invasion. So yes, Portal is in the same continuity as the Half-Life games.

JaymesFogarty

Aug 19, 2009
dathwampeer said:
That looks really freakin good. I'd go watch that in a cinema. It'd be better than 90% of the shit thats showing now.

Also I've never played half life. It was a little before my time as a serious gamer. Well the second one wasn't but I didn't fancy jumping into it after not playing the first. But black mesa? The ongoing joke reffered to in portal on several occasions... does this mean that both games are in the same continuity? This might have already been explained but I dunno. I know they're both made by valve. So is it just some random joke, or are they actually set in the same continuity?
Portal is indeed set in the same universe. However, the time period is more than a little ambiguous, and has to be guessed. Hopefully, Portal 2 will give players more information as the the exact setting of Portal, in relation to the Half Life series.
On topic, it looks good! I hope they end up finishing it!

The Random One

May 29, 2008
It appears HL brings out the best in moviemakers about making nice-looking budget special effects. Although it's strange how only now watching this I realize what a stupid thing a grenade with a bright red light on it is.

dathwampeer said:
Also I've never played half life. It was a little before my time as a serious gamer. Well the second one wasn't but I didn't fancy jumping into it after not playing the first. But black mesa? The ongoing joke reffered to in portal on several occasions... does this mean that both games are in the same continuity? This might have already been explained but I dunno. I know they're both made by valve. So is it just some random joke, or are they actually set in the same continuity?
Black Mesa is the name of the laboratory the entire first game takes place in. It had a kind of in-joke feeling when it was mentioned in Portal, but Episode 2 also mentioned Aperture Science, so even if they're not part of the same continuity, they are part of very similar continuities.

Also since I'm at it, if you haven't played the HL games yet, you have an excellent excuse to never play them ever. They're pretty bad.

Aidinthel

Occasional Gentleman
Apr 3, 2010
Dyp100 said:
I thought Adrain was an SaS officer, why does he have an American accent?
He was a US Marine in the (fictional) Hazardous Environment Combat Unit. Black Mesa was in New Mexico.

F-I-D-O

I miss my avatar
Feb 18, 2010
JaymesFogarty said:
dathwampeer said:
That looks really freakin good. I'd go watch that in a cinema. It'd be better than 90% of the shit thats showing now.

Portal is indeed set in the same universe. However, the time period is more than a little ambiguous, and has to be guessed. Hopefully, Portal 2 will give players more information as the the exact setting of Portal, in relation to the Half Life series.
On topic, it looks good! I hope they end up finishing it!
Supposedly it takes place after Half life 2 Episode 2.
OT: This looks pretty good. I can only imagine how it would look with a big budget and professional actors (same person making it though...). Hopefully they might get picked up by a big studio, but I doubt it.
OK, who wants to take the first sift of the Michael Bay watch? We don't want him finding this.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
It's nice to see people haven't forgotten about Shepherd. To be honest, it would be quite nice to see him featured in a Half-Life game again. But if that will ever happen, even Valve can't seem to tell.

dathwampeer said:

Actually, yes, they are in the same continuity. Infact, if you don't mind spoilers, at the end of Half-Life 2: Episode 2:

Alyx and Gordon leave for the Arctic, where an Aperture Science research vessel called the Borealis is located. The Borealis was previously missing, having mysteriously vanished along with part of a drydock, and is said to contain important cargo. While nobody can say what the exact nature of the cargo is, it is said that, if not handled properly, could bring about a disaster even worse then the one in Black Mesa.

So Half-Life and Portal seem to be very much a part of the same universe. Now, whether this will play any part in future games in either of them is anyone's guess.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Well, that was okay.
I still think Doomsday arcade had better action scenes though.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Aidinthel said:
Dyp100 said:
I thought Adrain was an SaS officer, why does he have an American accent?
He was a US Marine in the (fictional) Hazardous Environment Combat Unit. Black Mesa was in New Mexico.
He was also 100% fucking awesome. No idea where anyone would get the idea that he's from the SAS though.

I hope Valve brings him back, even though Opposing Force was by different developers, If I remember right. Gearbox, by the looks of my OpFor disk.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
Chicago Ted said:
This reminded me of Escape from City 17:

What ever happened to it?
Wow...both this and the OP videos are pretty sweet. Props to the creators.