Amateur Film Makers Tease Impressive New Half-Life Project

Ekit

Oct 19, 2009
It looks impressive, but I still don't think it will turn out to be anything spectacular. The problem with these fan films is that they never know as much about the mythos as the real writers.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
This reminds me of another Half-Life movie that was being made...what was it...I think it was called something like "Escape From City 17" [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1UPMEmCqZo] or something...hmm...

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Not bad, but a guy running away isn't that impressive.
I probably can't be bothered to check on this so the Escapist, keep me updated!

Sir Kemper

Jan 21, 2010
Dyp100 said:
I thought Adrain was an SaS officer, why does he have an American accent?
Actually he was a member of the Marines, more specifically the HECU unit that was sent into Black Mesa to contain the problem.

OT:

Interesting stuff, and it's nice to have somebody finally do something with the character.

Chicago Ted said:
This reminded me of Escape from City 17:

What ever happened to it?
The people working/directing it are apparently working on some sort of movie. Honestly though, from all the fan film's i've seen it get's progressively less amazing.

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
Meh. It felt kind of cheesy, especially compared to Escape From City 17. The voiceover was unnecessary and corny, and there didn't seem to be any real tension or atmosphere to it. There's more to Half-Life than explosions.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Danny Boyle could do a fantastic Half-Life adaptation.

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
But will there be any cake?

Frankly, I wasn't that impressed. It was a guy in blue jeans and the rest of his Halloween costume, I guess with effects from that were done using standard movie effects software suites which set them back $300 to a grand depending on how much they bought.

I was under the impression that Half Life was one of those powered armor but no helmet sort of games. Some convention cosplayers have made some impressive costumes. If the guy had been wearing that instead of sneakers, I might have been a little more impressed.

But, effects and costumes are where small productions like these are going to suck no matter what because they don't have thousands of dollars to blow on that shit. Where they get to shine is the story, and we're given none here. The final film may have the greatest story ever told, but I have no way to judge based on the trailer.

In the end, I suppose if I cared about the Half Life universe, I would be more interested in this. But since I don't I can't help but notice it's not that interesting and it seems to not quite fit what little I do know about Half Life.

Gaderael

Apr 14, 2009
dathwampeer said:
The Random One said:
It appears HL brings out the best in moviemakers about making nice-looking budget special effects. Although it's strange how only now watching this I realize what a stupid thing a grenade with a bright red light on it is.

dathwampeer said:
Also I've never played half life. It was a little before my time as a serious gamer. Well the second one wasn't but I didn't fancy jumping into it after not playing the first. But black mesa? The ongoing joke reffered to in portal on several occasions... does this mean that both games are in the same continuity? This might have already been explained but I dunno. I know they're both made by valve. So is it just some random joke, or are they actually set in the same continuity?
Black Mesa is the name of the laboratory the entire first game takes place in. It had a kind of in-joke feeling when it was mentioned in Portal, but Episode 2 also mentioned Aperture Science, so even if they're not part of the same continuity, they are part of very similar continuities.

Also since I'm at it, if you haven't played the HL games yet, you have an excellent excuse to never play them ever. They're pretty bad.
Ah thanks for clearing that up. And ta for the warning. Although I'm probably going to end up getting the orange box, since as I said I wasn't really a gamer when that stuff came out. Since I really wanna try TF2 out. Is that still worth getting? like server wise. Or is it pretty barron these days.
Half Life 2 is fantastic, but don't take my word for it. Try out the Orange Box.

As for TF2, if you're playing it on the PC, then the servers are still rockin', though I'm not so sure about the PS3/XBOX 360 servers. Hell, they've released yet another update to the game only a couple of days ago. It's a great online FPS, and takes real teamwork to win.

Oh, and if you get the PC version, be sure to join the Escapist TF2 PC group here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/The-Escapist-Team-Fortress-2-Group-PC]. I haven't been on there in a few weeks, but they still have weekly games and such. It's quite the good time.

13lackfriday

Feb 10, 2009
Chicago Ted said:

Yeah, new HL2 machinima is great, but I really wanted to see that one continue.
I think it works better since it just casts a random assortment of rebels thrown into the fray.
With Adrian Shepard, it's an actual character, so he might not fit the expectations you have for him...good news is their bringing back a major badass to the HL universe that Valve forgot.

Great visual effects in the both of them, and nobody can say they aren't action-packed to the brim.

Chicago Ted

Jan 13, 2009
13lackfriday said:
Chicago Ted said:

*SNIP*

I think it works better since it just casts a random assortment of rebels thrown into the fray.
With Adrian Shepard, it's an actual character, so he might not fit the expectations you have for him...good news is their bringing back a major badass to the HL universe that Valve forgot.

Great visual effects in the both of them, and nobody can say they aren't action-packed to the brim.
Actually, that's exactly what I thought earlier. I'd prefer and have more hope for the new one if they didn't say the guy's name was Shepard, and instead said he was just a normal Rebel.

13lackfriday

Feb 10, 2009
Chicago Ted said:
13lackfriday said:
Chicago Ted said:

*SNIP*

Actually, that's exactly what I thought earlier. I'd prefer and have more hope for the new one if they didn't say the guy's name was Shepard, and instead said he was just a normal Rebel.
Not to mention he has that "amateur internet actor"-voice with the bad audio and a low pitch like he takes himself too seriously.
If we're gonna learn to take him seriously as an actual character, he's gonna have to work on being a lot more natural in the part.

Escape had 2 guys screaming at each other frantically like nervous wrecks...which was kind of funny, but also a whole lot more believable given their situation (stuck in a trainyard surrounded by death squads).