Amazing Games...That You Never Finished?

Starbird

Sep 30, 2012
What great games have you played quite a bit but never seen the ending of, and why?

Recently for me:

- Shadow Of Mordor. Love this game...until I had to Brand stuff. Friendly fire, no way to avoid targeting my own minions and no way to stop the stupid idiots from killing the guy I'm trying to brand.

- Dragon Age Inquisition. Great game, good story, decent characters...and yet once I get my citadel I can't really get motivated. No real way to progress my characters once I've unlocked the skills I want, mediocre combat and samey enemy encounters with no real chance of any surprises aside from more reskins and dragons...blah. I'll get it done one day.

- Skyrim. I'm a serial restarter in games. This is not a game to be a serial restarter in. I always hit the 'too much to do, but I feel like trying a different playstyle' hurdle and end up back on the prison cart.

ninja666

May 17, 2014
Morrowind. It's just too big and there's too much to do. I've been playing my current character for several months, and then stopped because there was so much questing and dungeon crawling outside of the main questline, I got burned out. Not to mention, this character was my, like, 7th or 8th attempt at this game over the years.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
Final Fantasy IX is a wonder of a game. It reminds me a bit of a much more refined version of the FF formula established by FFIV. Which happens to be my favorite one.

Someday I'll sit down and finish the rest of it. I didn't get too far, but I was having a wonderful time.

rgrekejin

Mar 6, 2011
Skies of Arcadia: Legends, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time, and Fallout 3.

I was breaking up with a girl at the time, and she absconded with my copies.

...and also my DS, now that I recall.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
People tell me that Ni No Kuni is the best JRPG on the PS3 but I couldn't make it past the first hour. Similarly, Xenoblade Chronicles is a game that I put about 40 hours into and I'm just done with it. People would have me believe it's the best JRPG on the Wii but I just don't care enough to play it.

As for games that I enjoyed;

I've been on disc-3 of Final Fantasy VIII since about 2013
I'm right outside of The Ice Cave in FF-Remaster on the PSX since about 2013
I'm...somewhere in Final Fantasy V...I don't remember but last time I tested the waters I had fun (2012)
Day 2 of South Park: Stick of Truth (last played about 3 weeks ago)
I've achieved the bad ending in Chrono Trigger but haven't played enough to meet Magus or the Cave-girl (2013)
I don't remember where I am in Metroid Prime...I think Spider-Ball was my last earned upgrade (2014)

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
GTA San Andreas. Felt a bit same-y with GTA III and Vice City. Never made it past town #1. Got distracted with something else.

GrimGrimoire. Got stuck 3/4 of the way, refused to lower the difficulty. I liked it though. Shame I haven't gone back.

Red Dead Redemption. Left off 3/4 of the way, this time out of boredom. The game is too easy, even if you remove the soft lock.

Demon's Souls. Passively rage-quit after discovering I had locked myself out the mega super true ending/final boss. Also wasted an insane amount of time hunting for rare drops, which burnt me out of the game. I'm super close to finishing though, I think I'm missing 2 bosses.

SoreWristed

Dec 26, 2014
FF8, I never finished the final fights. Every once in a while, i'll fire up that specific save again, determined to finish it once and for all and give up after my second attempt. Probably because i can't get into the spirit of the game or i just don't have the time for 10 attempts.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
Psychonauts. Never could get past that last ..spoiler[] meat circus level/boss []/spoiler.
Morrowind. I made it quite far as I recall. Got bored/fed up/moved on. I just haven't the energy to do it all over again.
One Finger Death Punch. Too difficult in the later parts.
Sword of the Stars. I like to play the biggest maps from the start. More fun, but it rarely lets me finish a game.
Space Empires IV. I like to play the biggest maps from the start. More fun, but it rarely lets me finish a game.
Distant Worlds Universe. I like to play the biggest maps from the start. More fun, but it rarely lets me finish a game.
Titan Quest: Immortal Throne. Never could get past the "last" (TQ) boss, so I couldn't get into the Immortal Throne part.
Sacred. I made it quite far as I recall. Got bored/fed up/moved on. I just haven't the energy to do it all over again.
Dungeon Siege II. I made it quite far as I recall. Got bored/fed up/moved on. I just haven't the energy to do it all over again.
Stalker SoC. Fun but too repeating. Moved on.
Hellgate. Fun but too repeating. Moved on.
Children of the Nile. Had just finished playing lots of Pharaoh. Got too much.
Anno 1404. I haven't dared to try it again for fear of repeating the last time I ran the game. It played well on my Win XP OS but it irreparably and irrevocably crashed my previous new Win 8 computer. (I think it did).

..I think I'll stop there. It would probably have been easier listing games I've completed. ,)

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
None.
I've never abandoned a game I was truly enjoying and never came back to it.

Though if I take the question more literally there ware probably dozens from the NES/SNES era that I never saw the ending of because I was simply not good enough at them.

Games like Battletoads, Ninja Gaiden 3, Zelda 1&2, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Warcraft 2's expansion, and several rented games whose names I forget but I liked at the time.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Technically MGS 1. I started it and the copy I bought shit itself right after Ocelot, but I finished it by watching it on Youtube.
I remember playing a PS2 Indiana Jones game and liking it, then got to a boss battle in hell or something, flying demon lady and I just quit. I wasn't even frustrated at the boss, I think it just mistepped so hard it broke my immersion to the point of whiplash.

I have dishonored laying around with no idea why I haven't beaten the second half.

But I have a kickass Electivire in Pokemon so I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

HankyPanky

Jan 29, 2015
- Resident Evil 4: I don't know what happened, I stopped at the mansion.
- Syphon Filter: I got distracted by MGS, never came back.
- Dishonored: Couldn't get into it because I was stressed out. By the time I was a little more relaxed, I completely forgot what was going on and didn't wanna start all over.
- Morrowind: Couldn't get into it. A lot of people disagree, but I think it was sloppy and felt like a chore to play. I really got into Oblivion and Skyrim, though.

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
I'm a huge fan of the Final Fantasy series and I've played all the main single-player games except FF9.

However, the only ones that I've actually finished are FF1 and FF6.
FF2 - Barely played it at all, on an emulator with a translation patch
FF3 - I think I got maybe halfway through it on the DS remake.
FF4 - Just got to the moon and abandoned the game.
FF5 - Got a couple of hours into the second world, and couldn't figure out where I was supposed to go next.
FF7 - Got all the way to the final crater, but got bored trying to go through it, and in my longest attempt I ended up getting killed by Tonberry and rage-quitted forever.
FF8 - Got way too annoyed with the constant summons in battle, barely got anywhere in it.
FF10 - Couldn't beat Seymour.
FF12 - Couldn't beat the wall boss in the temple.
FF13 - Got annoyed at the linearity, but at the point that it opened up and went less linear I got bored of the gameplay itself and quit.

So yeah, I loved 'em all (except FF8) but only beat two of 'em

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
Final Fantasy VI - I got about half through the game and then my save files just disappeared, one day I will go at it again but I don't feel like it yet

Deadly Premonition - I played for over 20 hours and I didn't even get to the halfway point, I will go back to it eventually... probably

Ocarina of Time - I was playing it on a very early emulator of the N64 which kept malfunctioning, in this case some textures were black, I got to a level where you need to walk around a lot and raise/lower the water level and all of thr walls were black, making it impossible for me to know where I am or where should I go so i stopped playing

Darksiders - one day i just stopped playing it and for some reason never started again

Silent Hill 2 - I borrowed a PS2 with the game from my friend for 1 day only and I didn't manage to finish it, I wanted to play it again after a while but by that time he has already sold it

That's all I can think of at the moment.
I haven't finished a lot of bad/boring games but that was because they were bad/boring.

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
ocarina of time
sunk so many hours into it i must have been nearly finished but got distracred and never got back to it.

JohnBoyAdvance

Jan 18, 2012
Any game that is "sandboxy". So Skyrim, Oblivion, Saints Row series, Red Dead even GTA. I think the last one I actually finished was GTA 3. Unless you count Assassins Creed in Sandboxy Games. Then The Ezio trilogy was finished by me.

To be honest with most of these games, I start, play for a few hours and give up. Its nothing really personal with the game but its like... I dont have the time to really get my teeth into it. Might even be that I like linearity more than freedom now. Same reason why I hate Borderlands.

There are a lot of games I've played and not finished though but its like "what constitutes finished in Forza?" Bought all the cars? Won all the races? (yes I guess.)

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Splinter Cell: Blacklist - A remarkably fun shooter than is great as a stealth game, or as a "shoot all of the guys" third person shooter. I got really far into it, and I was having a lot of fun, but If I remember correctly, a new game came out, and I just decided to play that instead. I never went back to it. It is on the backlog list though.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
LoZ: Majora Mask-

While it's great as most LoZ game (Skyward Sword was a huge dissapointment), I didn't like the timer/ time travel mechanic too much as it make me race/ rush everything. Combine this with the complex temple (the water one) I end up time travel back before I can solve and advance into the temple.

I couldn't be bother looking it up on a guide/ Gamefaq and just gave up on it.

I suppose I will now get another try on it when it come out for the 3DS that is when I buy it (I don't buy it on release day).

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Okami and Ico.

For shame, I know, but real life got the better of me and I never got back to them. I will, eventually. I think.